• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suicide Squad movie coming
2 2

3,562 posts in this topic

"Box office success" seems pretty clear from that i09 article:

$750 million worldwide to break even. Let's be generous and call it $700 million.

Which it still won't come close to hitting.

$750 million is not an accurate box office success and as usual Hollywood Reporter is pulling mess out of the air. For as long as I can remember, the number was between 2.5x and 3x budget. Otherwise, they are saying Guardians of the Galaxy barely made a profit (similar budget of $170 with a $775 worldwide return.)

Budget was $175. Break even is between $437.5 and $525 million.

But like I said, let's redefine how we define success.

they spent $150MM on marketing per today's NYT. no way break even is $437.5 - $525MM for theatrical release. the profits will come from ancillary revenue streams: DVD, TV, merchandising.

And Product Placement covers any Marketing expense.

This 'let's add Marketing' thing seems to only come up with DC movies. Yet look at expenses on the Marvel side like Robert Downy Jr. taking out $50MM of any latest movie for profit sharing on merchandise and revenue.

$750 million worldwide to break even. Let's be generous and call it $700 million.

$750 million is not an accurate box office success and as usual Hollywood Reporter is pulling mess out of the air. For as long as I can remember, the number was between 2.5x and 3x budget. Otherwise, they are saying Guardians of the Galaxy barely made a profit (similar budget of $170 with a $775 worldwide return.)

they spent $150MM on marketing per today's NYT. no way break even is $437.5 - $525MM for theatrical release. the profits will come from ancillary revenue streams: DVD, TV, merchandising.

And Product Placement covers any Marketing expense.

This 'let's add Marketing' thing seems to only come up with DC movies. Yet look at expenses on the Marvel side like Robert Downy Jr. taking out $50MM of any latest movie for profit sharing on merchandise and revenue.

Crazy isn't it. Thor and Captain America lost money and Guardians of the Galaxy barely broke even. lol

Right.

They also spent "tens of millions" on the re-shoots that are not included in that $175mm budget either.

-J.

It is not in the budget according to ... ? Hollywood Reporter?

Every movie has reshoots. :gossip:

Edited by rjrjr

I love how I never hear about the marketing budget on marvel movies just on DC

Or the percentage payments to actors that Disney has set up on their contracts

But hey those stock prices keep rising! :applause:

Right.

They also spent "tens of millions" on the re-shoots that are not included in that $175mm budget either.

-J.

Actually, no. The same source noting the $175 million budget has said that includes a single $10 million for reshoots.

It's the absurd (although incredibly effective) marketing budget that will affect SS's long-run profitability.

C'mon guys, let it go....all of us should want quality comic movies, and years and years of them, whether they are of DC or Marvel characters. And it seems, all three studios are now fully "all in" to giving us exactly that. Let's enjoy it.

Personally, I'm really looking forward to Wonder Woman, and will write off Suicide Squad without it souring me on trying the rest of what DC has to offer.

C'mon guys, let it go....all of us should want quality comic movies, and years and years of them, whether they are of DC or Marvel characters. And it seems, all three studios are now fully "all in" to giving us exactly that. Let's enjoy it.

Personally, I'm really looking forward to Wonder Woman, and will write off Suicide Squad without it souring me on trying the rest of what DC has to offer.

Amen to that!!!

Nobody is saying people should like movies they didn't really enjoy. But it makes no sense to then bash on people if they did - or make it a personal crusade to drive that movie into the ground.

Wonder Woman and Justice League - which Geoff Johns has been heavily involved in now - are most probably where the reorg impact is really going to shine.

:wishluck:

By the way, my sales director's cousin who is engaged to Dan DiDio was texting him photos over the weekend of her experience at the Suicide Squad premiere party. Man, as a comic fan I want her life (though not being engaged to Dan - he's not my type :insane: ).

She was mingling with Will Smith, Margot Robbie, Jim Lee, Jai Courtney, Jared Leto and loads of other actors and actresses that are part of the Warner Bros. family. She even has some Frank Miller pictures where they had dinner with him.

Must be nice to have regular access to people like that as part of these film releases.

Right.

-J.

Actually, no. The same source noting the $175 million budget has said that includes a single $10 million for reshoots.

It's the absurd (although incredibly effective) marketing budget that will affect SS's long-run profitability.

Perhaps. I may be confusing that with another article I read questioning that figure.

-J.

This was kinda meh. It wasn't bad, but I didn't really leave the theater satisfied either. The biggest descriptor I could use for this movie was "jarring". The editing. The way that it was quite obviously 2 different scripts by the time it was done that were mashed together with 2 different interpretations of most of at least a few of the characters. The only thing I really enjoyed about it & felt was consistent was Waller.

Deadshot was great, even if he was just "stereotypical Will Smith character #2" mashed together with a little of "Will Smith wants an Oscar!" in an attempt to add depth.

But also on the list of jarring things? Harley's magical disappearing accent that only showed up SOMETIMES. Sometimes she was The Nanny, and sometimes she was "Aussie just trying to sound American". Depending on the scene.

The character moments that were just kind "well, this is where movies put character moments, so lets stuff one in there" thing was pretty jarring too. The biggest one was the "Will Smith wants an Oscar" moment where he's just staring into the store window at the coat that his daughter owned immediately after Harley smashes the window. But that was again editing. Had they switched those scenes around tho and added something to prompt him to look at the window or something, and then she smashes it to steal the purse to end that "moment"? Perfect.

The last one was just the way a lot of things were started and not followed up on or changed with no explanation. Deadshot went from "I'mma take out these guards & we can kill Flagg & bail" to "if he dies, we die" in the span of a few seconds with no explanation at all.

It's like the reshoots tried to "Guardians-it up" because of the reactions to BvS and ended up making the movie more jarring as a result because of the abrupt tonal shifts. It could have been a better movie, even if it was still all dour & dark & whatnot if they kept with the Ayers part, and it could have been a better movie it was more fun & "Guardians-like" like the reshoots attempted to make it. But between the tonal changes & the mashing together of different takes on the characters even in the same scenes, it ended up ... for the dozen-th time: jarring.

Edited by Doktor

EXCELLENT MOVIE. All around.

Such a great summer action flick.. Great storyline, great action scenes, soooo totally different from BvS in terms of pace and fun.

El Diablo STOLE the show. Simply put. He owned the set!

I was a little disappointed with Jared's Joker. I actually loved the idea that he was gangsta, but his performance was weak.. And so did Robbi's. But apparently everyone in the theater absolutely loved her as they were laughing hysterically from every little nuance of her.

Amanda Waller was great, Will Smith (I cant believe Im saying it) was excellent, and again, Jay Hernandez was just fantastic. He was kinda like the "Hulk" in the first Avengers in terms of spicing the film up. Such a complex character with so much badassness

BTW, Did anyone mention how much Suicide Squad borrows from Escape From NY???

The injection shot they get on their necks, the post apocalyptic NYC, even some of the lines "if you run you die", "if you touch me you die".. There were a few others but I felt like it took alot from Carpenters movie

Warner Bros. Executive Says Suicide Squad Bested Anything They Could Have Expected

Despite all of the ups and downs, Warner Bros. seems pretty pleased with Suicide Squad’s performance.

“It bested anything that we could have expected,” Jeff Goldstein, Warner Bros. distribution executive vice president told Variety. “The marketing campaign was brilliant and the performances by the cast, starting with Will Smith, Margot Robbie, and Jared Leto, were just extraordinary. They’re fun and wicked and fans enjoy it.”

As for the dissonance between critics and audiences, Goldstein said, “There’s a major disconnect with between what the critics are saying and what audiences are seeing.”

Warner Bros. is pleased for now, but it remains to be seen if Suicide Squad suffers a significant second-week box office drop-off of the kind that hurt Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, and what that would mean for its lifetime box office gross.

For the Warner's executive comment above, there's no need to spin a movie that bests the prior August opening weekend by more than 30%.

But consider that it opened just shy of $3 million ahead of Deadpool despite being on nearly 20% more screens (SS actually opened on about 2 dozen more screens than did Batman v. Superman!).

Still - hard numbers are there - as of right now, it's doing better than Deadpool.

:insane:

Just got back from seeing this. I thought it was an excellent movie as well. I will certainly be picking this up on Blu-ray. I found nothing wrong with the pacing or shifts from action scenes to dialog scenes. I didn't know that much about most of these characters (other than Joker, Waller, and perhaps Harley to some extent), but felt all were portrayed well. I may be in the minority on this next one; but I also liked Enchantress quite a bit and felt that she was a good warm-up villain for the squad and pretty bad- (warm up in the sense that a badder baddie for a sequel would be more believable). El Diablo and Killer Croc were decent; but I didn't come away wanting to see any more of either of them as others have stated they would. On the other hand, I do want to see more Joker/Harley and Deadshot. As far as how I compare this to other Marvel and DC movies, I liked this better than X-Men Apocalypse, BVS, and Avengers AOU. I thought it was not as good as The Dark Knight, Iron Man, Thor, and Avengers. Lastly, I felt is was roughly on-par with X-Men DOFP, GOTG, and Deadpool. This is my opinion only and not meant to say others' opinions are not equally valid. I had a lot of fun with this movie.

A couple of minor complaints...

Harley did have a couple of accent changes as noted. I didn't care for the "Nanny" accent. Maybe she was simply trying to be annoying in those scenes. You never really know with Harley.

The Slipknot scene was pretty obvious with what was going to happen. They didn't sell me enough on why he would even try it based on the opinion of someone he just met.

When world was being destroyed and satellites were knocked out, it seemed Waller's team still had perfect communications (ex: video footage of all of the places being destroyed).

Was I also the only one that noticed that no helicopters in this movie managed to get more than a few blocks once they had anyone but generic soldiers in it before it got shot down? I counted 3 shot down helicopters in the span of about 30 minutes. Was this supposed to be a gag that I just didn't get?

Was I also the only one that noticed that no helicopters in this movie managed to get more than a few blocks once they had anyone but generic soldiers in it before it got shot down? I counted 3 shot down helicopters in the span of about 30 minutes. Was this supposed to be a gag that I just didn't get?

Yes.