• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suicide Squad movie coming
2 2

3,562 posts in this topic

Harley did have a couple of accent changes as noted. I didn't care for the "Nanny" accent. Maybe she was simply trying to be annoying in those scenes. You never really know with Harley.

I didn't focus on it as much. But it has been mentioned a few times now.

But now it has me wondering: does Harley Quinn have a split personality due to the torture she experience under the Joker's control? I'm thinking maybe that is why she was portrayed the way she was.

hm

Split personality is the only explanation because otherwise, her "dream" life as she experienced it makes no sense. The Harley that smashed people with a bat & kills people doesn't have a fantasy life of the Joker & a baby in suburbia.

Was I also the only one that noticed that no helicopters in this movie managed to get more than a few blocks once they had anyone but generic soldiers in it before it got shot down? I counted 3 shot down helicopters in the span of about 30 minutes. Was this supposed to be a gag that I just didn't get?

Yes.

The team got shot down on the way into town (how? We don't know & it's not explained). The one Joker hijacked got shot down on Waller's orders. And the one Waller was in got knocked down by the "brother's" tentacle arm thing I think. Not to mention that at least 2 got knocked down on the news or surveillance broadcast of the initial attack when he first left the subway & started taking out bits of the city. I'm not sure I get the gag other than "ha ha. Helicopters suck & are easy to knock down!"

Was I also the only one that noticed that no helicopters in this movie managed to get more than a few blocks once they had anyone but generic soldiers in it before it got shot down? I counted 3 shot down helicopters in the span of about 30 minutes. Was this supposed to be a gag that I just didn't get?

Yes.

The team got shot down on the way into town (how? We don't know & it's not explained). The one Joker hijacked got shot down on Waller's orders. And the one Waller was in got knocked down by the "brother's" tentacle arm thing I think. Not to mention that at least 2 got knocked down on the news or surveillance broadcast of the initial attack when he first left the subway & started taking out bits of the city. I'm not sure I get the gag other than "ha ha. Helicopters suck & are easy to knock down!"

With the Waller helicopter it was utilizing missile countermeasures, most probably assuming an anti-aircraft weapon was being used to take down any helicopters in the area. I thought that was a nice touch when you think of Waller's forces trying to think of everything.

But like you pointed out. Enchantress's brother most probably wanted to ensure no aircraft could observe what they were doing by close observation. So he was taking them down whenever they were perceived to come too close to the John Ostrander Foundation Building.

:whee:

I still love that nod to a creator.

Final numbers are out, and Domestic Box Office was a smidgen lower while the International Box Office was a smidgen higher.

BOX OFFICE: SUICIDE SQUAD Opens With A Record-Shattering $134 Million ($267M Worldwide)

Suicide Squad had quite a rollercoaster weekend, to say the least. The latest Warner Bros. tentpole kicked off its theatrical run on a major high with a fantastic Thursday & Friday, which shot box office projections up to a $145-150 million weekend, but after an unprecedented 40% drop on Saturday, expectations came crashing down to the much more realistic $130-135 million range yesterday afternoon.

Earlier today, the weekend actuals finally arrived and the David Ayer-directed film has officially opened at an outstanding $134 million domestic, which is more than good enough to shatter the previous August opening weekend record held by Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy ($94.3m). Internationally, the film has performed slightly better than expected with an opening weekend of approximately $133.3 million from about 68 foreign markets, bringing its current worldwide sum to just around $267.3 million.

A new August box office record on the domestic front.

mGJdayv.png

atKJJEV.png

Not an anomaly.

Saturday was down 40%.

Sunday was down another 22% from that.

I doubt will see a full 70% drop-off next weekend but it's definitely looking like it'll be in the 60%s.

No blockbusters due next weekend, but 2 solid mid-range releases. Sausage Party's the bigger threat, as it's targeting the same demo as SS.

Pete's Dragon (3,400 screens)

Sausage Party (2,800)

Not an anomaly.

Saturday was down 40%.

I doubt will see a full 70% drop-off next weekend but it's definitely looking like it'll be in the 60%s.

No blockbusters due next weekend, but 2 solid mid-range releases. Sausage Party's the bigger threat, as it's targeting the same demo as SS.

Sausage Party (2,800)

I watch a pretty decent amount of movies, and this movie wasn't terrible (my review is a few pages back) and kinda fun. But I would say Ghostbusters, Bourne, and Finding Dory are better uses of your time and money unless you have a specific interest in seeing Suicide Squad.

I think one of my main gripes for SS and for the other recent DC movies is that while there are certainly some elements that are enjoyable and I can see how someone would enjoy them, they're hard to watch without noticing very obvious holes or things they could take better care to improve upon. I keep getting the feeling they're not maximizing their potential, whereas with most of the Disney brand movies (including Marvel and Pixar), you at least feel like they are focused on accomplishing a tangible goal, and you at least appreciate them reaching their goal, even if you disagree with the actual goal.

I don't know if ghostbusters is a better movie than SS, but my enjoyment of it was higher because they maxed their potential and achieved their goal, which I appreciated. I don't feel like they wasted the talent and money involved in that movie (though they might have, but I just didn't feel that way).

Not an anomaly.

Saturday was down 40%.

Sausage Party (2,800)

would be a pity if it wasn't.

Not an anomaly.

Saturday was down 40%.

Sausage Party (2,800)

Don't forget the Olympics.

Saw it today with my four kids and wife. The kids LOVED it, which kinda surprised me. I thought it was better than I expected, enjoyed dead shot and Harley, but really thought the Enchantress was awesome. Whenever she was on the screen I was intrigued, could of actually given her much more screen time.

Overall much better than I was expecting!

Just finished watching it.

Here's my overall score 6/10 in case you don't want to read my review below.

As many know I've highly critical of Marvel's output and was a defender of BvS. Many people may think that I'm pro one camp vs another but like many I just want a good fun movie that doesn't cater to the lowest denominator etc

I thought the parts that were great were wonderful. Harley was perfect. I suspect the voice changes are due to her craziness. She's not all there. Deadshot was cool as well. Amanda Waller was perfectly cast.

I really enjoyed the first half of the movie, was invested but then felt like nothing happened or what happened wasn't enough. I felt like after eating Chinese food an hour later.

I suspect that my feeling for that is that I wanted more of the things I liked instead of what I was being served. At the end I didn't care much for the film and wanted to see where Harley would be going next.

I think they've struck gold with this character and with the right -script could have a winning combination.

I used to think the character wasn't enough to carry a film but I was mistaken. That being said I would like the next film to be a Gotham City Sirens type of film and get Batgirl in there.

As for the Joker, it's impossible to overcome the shadow of Ledger. I thought Leto's version was to make me feel uncomfortable whereas Ledger went to making me feel uneasy apprehensive.

I don't think the version is great or bad, I need to see more of him in the role.

The scenes with Batman were great. I love that shot of him flying down. Looked like an Alex Ross painting come to life.

My wife didn't like it except for HQ. She gave it a 4/10, felt it was as bad as BvS.

Her scale

Deadpool 5

Civil War 6

Dark Knight a perfect 10

What was BvS's 2nd week drop, and will SS be more or less?

Well, since you brought it up... :grin:

60a0d0i.png

XOsB3wv.png

It will be interesting to see where Suicide Squad lands for second weekend results compared to the modern DC and Marvel crop of films.

Marvel best (weekend) - Thor

Marvel worst (weekend) - Captain America: The First Avengers

Fox best (weekend) - X-Men: First Class

Fox worst (weekend) - X-Men: Apocalypse

DC best (weekend) - Batman Begins

DC worst (weekend) - Batman v Superman

What was BvS's 2nd week drop, and will SS be more or less?

Well, since you brought it up... :grin:

60a0d0i.png

XOsB3wv.png

It will be interesting to see where Suicide Squad lands for second weekend results compared to the modern DC and Marvel crop of films.

Marvel best (weekend) - Thor

Marvel worst (weekend) - Captain America: The First Avengers

Fox best (weekend) - X-Men: First Class

Fox worst (weekend) - X-Men: Apocalypse

So...I'm not the best at reading comprehension, but what I got from that chart is that Batman v. Superman had the largest % drop of all 24 recent superhero movies tracked.

I'm betting that Suicide Squad beats that record:

- worse reviewed

- lesser known characters (thus, weaker brand awareness)

- still summer break, so lots of kids will see it this week, lessening the weekend demand

- will have fewer repeat viewings

- only medium box office competition

So...I'm not the best at reading comprehension,

but what I got from that chart is that Batman v. Superman had the largest % drop of all 24 recent superhero movies tracked.

I'm betting that Suicide Squad beats that record:

- worse reviewed

- lesser known characters (thus, weaker brand awareness)

- still summer break, so lots of kids will see it this week, lessening the weekend demand

- will have fewer repeat viewings

- only medium box office competition

Something gave that away...

It has to be a Public Relations thing.

:baiting:

Saw it yesterday. It was okay. That's being generous as I am leaning towards just passable. Main disappointment was not enough Leto and the Joker scenes were not written well. You have a powerhouse actor in Leto and it's a waste not to showcase that.

The movie stank.

I felt like I was watching a Saturday afternoon C movie that was trying to hard to impress me and spoon fed me everything including the kitchen sink along the way.

Way too much shoved into one movie (like the ASM movie with Sandman and Venom doh! ) and not enough quality writing.

It rivaled BvS as a bomb IMO and they could have made a much better movie with half the story.

Why does DC feel the need to rush and push out this tripe? They can slow it down, milk the DC universe for great characters and great stories and assemble a cohesive screen universe over time.

Instead, they're rushing it and putting out B movies.

Killer Croc? Horrible. :tonofbricks:

Boomerang? Who cared?

The punk rock Joker and Harley angle? OK, they made it a bit more contemporary but I still thought it was hokey. And I just didn't see enough of the Joker to 'buy' Leto's version of him.

Previous Jokers stole the entire movie. This one didn't.

Suicide Squad was just a wet dream for fanboys with girls in tight bikini outfits and Jared Leto teased to have the girls pony up and buy tickets.

Sorry, did not like much about it.