• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will the New Mutants 98 bubble burst?
1 1

1,121 posts in this topic

Nope. I don't carry grudges.

You can be a bit of a hard *spoon* sometimes.

Did you ever find that quote or are you still calling RMA wrong based on just memory?

Because I just looked at some old pictures of myself, and what I saw was not what I remembered. The memory is not very reliable even in legal testimony.

This Forum used to be serious comic collectors talking serous issues. Now after perusing the various threads, it's more a joke. Your previous erroneous posts on the availability of issues ha made thin almost a joke.

This place is what you make of it. It's just bigger. There's plenty of serious comic people discussing comics.

Did you ever find that quote or are you still calling RMA wrong based on just memory?

Because I just looked at some old pictures of myself, and what I saw was not what I remembered. The memory is not very reliable even in legal testimony.

I remember very well thank you.

This Forum used to be serious comic collectors talking serous issues. Now after perusing the various threads, it's more a joke. Your previous erroneous posts on the availability of issues ha made thin almost a joke.

This place is what you make of it. It's just bigger. There's plenty of serious comic people discussing comics.

Nope. It's smaller. And not a place to talk comics unless I wanted to sell. Most of the threads here are asking about selling their comics. Not a lot about about the comics themselves. Sad.

Jim

Admit it. You're combing that thread like a Gibbon looking for bugs.

:D

Probably mixing you up with JC - it's an all-star thread that I was tempted to bump.

Most of the last half of it is New Mutants related from the 2009 Wolverine movie release & this statement is the closest I can find with someone alleging that NM 87 and 98 had comparable print runs.

-ma ma monkey :D

Edited by bababooey

I remember very well thank you.

Nope. It's smaller. And not a place to talk comics unless I wanted to sell. Most of the threads here are asking about selling their comics. Not a lot about about the comics themselves. Sad.

Jim

I'm relatively new around here so don't take it the wrong way when I disagree with you Jim. I find the forums very informational although it's easier to google search a topic with links to the threads than use the sites own search function. I think what you've actually identified is what happens in a well established forum. People have spent years talking with one another and have grown to have long standing good and bad relations with other forum members. The posts sometimes degenerate into sophomoric humor and ad-hominem attacks but it certainly makes it real. If you want to see how bad it can be come to the COD1 server I play on! As far when the New Mutants 98 bubble will burst? I believe this thread is about to hit 100 pages ... 'Nuff said.

Admit it. You're combing that thread like a Gibbon looking for bugs.

:D

Probably mixing you up with JC - it's an all-star thread that I was tempted to bump.

Most of the last half of it is New Mutants related from the 2009 Wolverine movie release & this statement is the closest I can find with someone alleging that NM 87 and 98 had comparable print runs.

-ma ma monkey :D

It's funny....I hope I've toned it down a bit, but it's pretty interesting how consistent what I said 7 years ago is with what I'm saying now.

(And I was just giving you a hard time, Blowie. You know I luvs ya. :luhv: )

Here are some interesting quote threads from the thread that booey posted:

I still say New Mutants 87 has more potential than New Mutants 98.

which has the lowest print run?

Probably about the same, with a slight edge for 87, but if Cable ever hit a movie screen, watch out.

I doubt it. NM was on the verge of death as a title when Cable was introduced. Luckily by issue 100, interest had built from the stories that took place and X-Force was born.

I agree...there are less, probably far less, copies of #87 out there than #98. NM was a second rate X-title when #87 was released. And there was nothing beforehand to suggest the issue was anything special. By the time #98 hit, NM was one of Marvel's top sellers...

Jim

Another couple of responses....

which has the lowest print run?

Probably about the same, with a slight edge for 87, but if Cable ever hit a movie screen, watch out.

I doubt it. NM was on the verge of death as a title when Cable was introduced. Luckily by issue 100, interest had built from the stories that took place and X-Force was born. Another series with great potential, but was never handled properly.

Correct. New Mutants #87 had a smaller print run...and survival rate...than NM #98.

New Mutants had been totally revived by Cable, along with the immensely popular X-Tinction Agenda (with second printings!), so NM #98 had a higher printrun as well as a higher survival rate.

This is borne out in the Census numbers (127 9.8U #87, 796 subs, 218 9.8U #98, 771 subs.)

That last post is from Jan 18, 2009.

(emphasis added to contradict claims that I said "New Mutants was a dead title at issue #98.")

Also from 1/18/09:

I agree. I think Cable is the most significant character Marvel has created since the Bronze Age...

No offense to Deadpool but this is the second time he's become "hot" and can't see it lasting this time either.

Jim

(emphasis added.)

hm

:popcorn:

Also from 1/18/09:

I agree. I think Cable is the most significant character Marvel has created since the Bronze Age...

No offense to Deadpool but this is the second time he's become "hot" and can't see it lasting this time either.

Jim

(emphasis added.)

hm

:popcorn:

:applause:

By the way...as someone has mentioned, Marvel printed the hell out of Wolverine #1 (1988), as well as PWJ #1 and Excalibur #1....to such an extent, that they were all available for reorder...cover price minus discount, as always....for months after they were published.

It would be interesting to average out all prices after Feb 12 and compare them to prices before Feb 12.

I'm of the opinion that this character is still picking up steam. And that is saying something considering it's probably the most commonly asked about and cosplayed character of the last year or two after maybe Wolverine.

So I have no skin in this game other than owning a few raw copies of NM #98 in the 9.4 range as the CA is not my target market. I actually didn't even know who Deadpool was when I got into comics a few years ago but apparently this book is still climbing in 9.8

I did an average of the last 11 sales since March 2nd and the 1 week average is $869.45

That's well above the 90 day average, which is above the 12 month average.

So this book (in 9.8 at least) is continuing to climb even after the movie release, just as I had posited.

But even if it's climbing, has it gotten back to where it was back when the rumor was first announced? I got nearly 1k for my 9.8 a couple of weeks after the movie was officially go. I figured this one would be up around the $1500 mark by now, but it seems like that was a temporary spike. Even with the monstrous success of the movie, I'm wondering if it's going to settle into place now right under $900?

But even if it's climbing, has it gotten back to where it was back when the rumor was first announced? I got nearly 1k for my 9.8 a couple of weeks after the movie was officially go. I figured this one would be up around the $1500 mark by now, but it seems like that was a temporary spike. Even with the monstrous success of the movie, I'm wondering if it's going to settle into place now right under $900?

You can't just analyze just a couple of price points. You need to look at long term trends.

There are always outliers and exceptions.

I don't care where it settles. I'm just stating where we are now and where we've come from.

No matter how good the movie is, if it is going to follow history, the book is never going to top "the announcement spike."

We may see some stair-stepping with NM98 if there is a series of good movies, however. I really think Deadpool is the first franchise since the Walking Dead that has a legit chance of becoming truly part of the zeitgeist. When I was in Vegas last week, I saw more people with Deadpool t-shirts, backpacks etc. than all other superhero stuff combined.

No matter how good the movie is, if it is going to follow history, the book is never going to top "the announcement spike."

We may see some stair-stepping with NM98 if there is a series of good movies, however. I really think Deadpool is the first franchise since the Walking Dead that has a legit chance of becoming truly part of the zeitgeist. When I was in Vegas last week, I saw more people with Deadpool t-shirts, backpacks etc. than all other superhero stuff combined.

I am currently in school, surrounded by millennials and Deadpool is everywhere. Quite the spectacular sight. I think this train will roll for awhile