• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NYCC 2015 --It's still Never too Early, Oct 8-11

464 posts in this topic

Questions about submitting books to the NYCC CGC booth to be graded.

1. With my premium membership, how do I use my "$150 Credit to CGC"?

2. How do I pack my comics to drop them off?

3. Where do I find the submission forms to fill out prior?

4. Will I need cash, credit or debit to pay whatever balance there may be?

5. Anything else I should know?

Thanks for your time.

I've never had my own books graded and want it to go as smoothly as possible.

1) Make sure you bring your CS account number and mention to the CGC people that you want to use your grading credit - they'll make sure it gets noted on the form.

2) CGC packs the books themselves - all you need to do is make sure they're actually bagged & boarded.

3) http://www.cgccomics.com/services/Submitting.aspx?howto

5) Yes - CGC takes credit cards, checks or exact cash.

6) NYCC is one of the busiest shows for CGC each year. Even with 2 booths (one on the main floor, one in artist alley), there's never enough CGC employees & witnesses to go around, so patience is key. Make a plan for any SS books you're doing - eg. figure out where the person is physically located and whether he/she is actually there prior to walking up the booth and asking for a witness.

For celebrity/wristbanded/ticketed signings, make sure you coordinate with CGC before you get in line - for some ticketed comic book signings, they will have a witness stationed up there for the entire duration of the signing; for most of them, that won't be the case, though.

www.metropoliscomics.com has a limited number of Exhibitor Badges for NYCC if customers spending $1,500.00 or more buying their books. Here's a portion of that email they sent earlier today:

Here's the deal! Clients committing to buy $1500 or more at the show can contact Sales Director Frank Cwiklik at 212 260 4147 to reserve their books, and they'll get a shiny, fancy, official Exhibitor's Badge for the full week of the show, PLUS, a guided tour of the Metropolis Gallery at the big October 9th preview opening of the new Masters of Fantasy exhibit, featuring works by Frazetta, Hildebrandt, Jones, and others! No more frantic calls to Vince or Frank from outside the hall, no more waiting in line, no more endless trudges through the holding pen of doom, this sucker will get you straight to the con and instantly ready to party! It's a pretty sweet deal, but we have only a limited number of passes left, so contact us immediately!

6) NYCC is one of the busiest shows for CGC each year. Even with 2 booths (one on the main floor, one in artist alley), there's never enough CGC employees & witnesses to go around, so patience is key. Make a plan for any SS books you're doing - eg. figure out where the person is physically located and whether he/she is actually there prior to walking up the booth and asking for a witness.

For celebrity/wristbanded/ticketed signings, make sure you coordinate with CGC before you get in line - for some ticketed comic book signings, they will have a witness stationed up there for the entire duration of the signing; for most of them, that won't be the case, though.

Thanks for the info, this will be my first year as well so I have similar feelings with wanting things to go smoothly.

I noticed Campbell is not located in the artist alley but on the main showroom floor, is his signings different? e.g. do I need a facilitator or something or any other concerns? And do you know if he charges for a sig and has a limit on books? Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the info, this will be my first year as well so I have similar feelings with wanting things to go smoothly.

I noticed Campbell is not located in the artist alley but on the main showroom floor, is his signings different? e.g. do I need a facilitator or something or any other concerns? And do you know if he charges for a sig and has a limit on books? Thanks in advance!

You will need a facilitator present or it never happened. Last year he was not charging if I recall correctly. He was very friendly and signed a dozen or so books for my friend without hesitation.

You will need a facilitator present or it never happened. Last year he was not charging if I recall correctly. He was very friendly and signed a dozen or so books for my friend without hesitation.

Im probably using the term wrong but by facilitator does that mean a 3rd party that I have to hand my books to? Similar to Anastasia and Stan Lee? or just a CGC standing by and I hand the books over myself?

A CGC facilitator present is all that's needed. You can hand him the books yourself. Stan is an entirely different process than most creators. Just ask the CGC booth and they will have a witness head that way with you to the creators you want to have sign your books. Just confirm they are present and signing before heading to the creators booth. Those wittnesses stay very busy. Kudos to them for doing shows like this!

A CGC facilitator present is all that's needed. You can hand him the books yourself. Stan is an entirely different process than most creators. Just ask the CGC booth and they will have a witness head that way with you to the creators you want to have sign your books. Just confirm they are present and signing before heading to the creators booth. Those wittnesses stay very busy. Kudos to them for doing shows like this!

Alright Thanks. I have a Thursday and Saturday pass but Im gonna try to get things done Thursday afternoon, hopefully its not as busy for signings that day.

Last year for some artists (Robert Kirkman, J. Scott Campbell) there were signings for CGC. You just paid CGC the fee ($10 per book for either of them, not sure about others) and they took care of the rest. Other artists like Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo only singned for people who waited in line for wristbands.

Ok, could someone with NYCC experience, give me a breakdown of how to get the best put of the show.

The mist popular guests do you just queue and wait? Or is ticketed?

The panels, what's the best way to guarantee entry, say for the marvel Netflix. How early to queue?

Is it best to wait to buy big comics on the Sunday and try and get a discount?

Any other tips wills be greatly appreciatedbny this UK boardie

Ok, could someone with NYCC experience, give me a breakdown of how to get the best put of the show.

The panels, what's the best way to guarantee entry, say for the marvel Netflix. How early to queue?

Only you can decide what path is best for you. You mentioned popular guests, panels, and buying comics. Decide which of these is the most important and prioritize. Waiting to buy comics on Sunday may lead to missing out on the best comics available on Friday.. For panels and popular guests you will be standing around a lot and waiting. If that is the most important thing to you, make sure you have the most time set aside for that. People have been known to enter early panels and stay in the room all day for the better, but later, panels. They now clear the room after each panel I think, but that gives you an idea of the time commitment necessary to be at the biggest panels.

Only you can decide what path is best for you. You mentioned popular guests, panels, and buying comics. Decide which of these is the most important and prioritize. Waiting to buy comics on Sunday may lead to missing out on the best comics available on Friday.. For panels and popular guests you will be standing around a lot and waiting. If that is the most important thing to you, make sure you have the most time set aside for that. People have been known to enter early panels and stay in the room all day for the better, but later, panels. They now clear the room after each panel I think, but that gives you an idea of the time commitment necessary to be at the biggest panels.

I believe that last year they only cleared the largest room between panels, but you could sit in the smaller ones all day if you wanted.

I usually am like this at NYCC: :ohnoez::o:ohnoez:

As far as buying comics on Sunday, that's something I always do. Whatever is left is left. Hit those booths that don't look that busy and see what they have. I scored a Hulk 181 5.0 for $300 back in 2013. (thumbs u

did i read somewhere that i need to go through a 3rd party to get a McFarlane SS... or can i just grab a witness...?

You can't do SS for any of McFarlane's public signings - all SS books are handled by a 3rd party facilitator at his yearly, private signing.