• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America: Civil War official movie thread (5/6/16)

2,267 posts in this topic

or it could have sucked donkey balls and forced a management shake-up after the movie did $200MM less than the last Batman flick

The good thing is I enjoy Marvel and DC films, versus any blinders.

But it would appear your fallback is "we suck less than the other guys". Yet your facts are skewed. Even the revenue ratio shows this should have been much bigger for the larger investment. It is what Feige most probably pitched to drive the reorg and budget.

So is it this 'superhero fatigue' that holds back another Avengers-like all-time result?

Sorry, WB was expected to dominate the 2016 Superhero BO with their Trinity.

Here we are, June 6th, and Civil War has made over One Billion in the BO.

And where is WB-DC?

What will be interesting to see going forward is can Marvel pull from its own extensive portfolio and produce a film that would top the revenue ratio of Deadpool?

I highly doubt Marvel could. However in saying that I don't think any studio can do those numbers again. Maybe Deadpool 2 could, if there isn't a bunch of "copycat" movies between now and then.

What will be interesting to see going forward is can Marvel pull from its own extensive portfolio and produce a film that would top the revenue ratio of Deadpool?

I highly doubt Marvel could. However in saying that I don't think any studio can do those numbers again. Maybe Deadpool 2 could, if there isn't a bunch of "copycat" movies between now and then.

If China decides to allow Deadpool 2 in their theaters, it will crush the current ratio it's already set. It really depends on the films production budget.

or it could have sucked donkey balls and forced a management shake-up after the movie did $200MM less than the last Batman flick

But it would appear your fallback is "we suck less than the other guys". Yet your facts are skewed. Even the revenue ratio shows this should have been much bigger for the larger investment. It is what Feige most probably pitched to drive the reorg and budget.

So is it this 'superhero fatigue' that holds back another Avengers-like all-time result?

The Nolan trilogy blows away anything Marvel has done.

Not sure it's reasonable to expect every MCU film to top the previous ones money-wise...this was a Cap movie in title if not in ensemble with a much more somber tone.

Not sure anyone at Marvel is kicking themselves yet -- they made a cool, fun movie that was critically well-received and turned a big profit, have a stable of outstanding actors and directors to work with, and continue to build their family-friendly universe. They are never going to cross over to R-rated films, IMO, so the 'Deadpool'-type phenomenon isn't in their future.

It's pretty safe and somewhat formulaic, but Marvel's approach works great for what they want to do: Make strong movies that entertain their audience, building only on what's come before in the MCU. May they continue to do so for another 20 years. And may DC and the other super-hero universes do the same! It's such a blessing for comic fans.

Dan

The Nolan trilogy is overrated IMO. Aside from the Joker scenes, I barely remember even remember anything. That's how little they stood out in my mind. I honestly remember more of the original Spider-Man trilogy.

I just don't understand Nolanmania. He sucks bad IMO. How people can walk away from the ridiculous Dark Knight movies going 'wow what a great movie' just baffles me.

Sorry, WB was expected to dominate the 2016 Superhero BO with their Trinity.

Here we are, June 6th, and Civil War has made over One Billion in the BO.

And where is WB-DC?

I doubt Warner assumed it would dominate 2016 with the first large film in the new franchise. But I also doubt it saw the critical response coming.

Meanwhile, reality is not only will the rest of the franchise continue on. Warner has added movies to the schedule. So there is WB-DC!

:applause:

I just don't understand Nolanmania. He sucks bad IMO. How people can walk away from the ridiculous Dark Knight movies going 'wow what a great movie' just baffles me.

I thought it was just The Dark Knight Rises that you disliked immensely.

Bane or 'Mumbles' as I call him wasn't scary at all-I burst out laughing at most of his scenes.

lol

I didn't realize the entire franchise fell on deaf ears. Or eyes, Or something like that.

:ohnoez:

Not sure it's reasonable to expect every MCU film to top the previous ones money-wise...this was a Cap movie in title if not in ensemble with a much more somber tone.

Not sure anyone at Marvel is kicking themselves yet -- they made a cool, fun movie that was critically well-received and turned a big profit, have a stable of outstanding actors and directors to work with, and continue to build their family-friendly universe. They are never going to cross over to R-rated films, IMO, so the 'Deadpool'-type phenomenon isn't in their future.

It's pretty safe and somewhat formulaic, but Marvel's approach works great for what they want to do: Make strong movies that entertain their audience, building only on what's come before in the MCU. May they continue to do so for another 20 years. And may DC and the other super-hero universes do the same! It's such a blessing for comic fans.

Dan

Marvel has definitely perfected a movie formula that works very well. And has even taken risks with films like Guardians and Ant-Man within reason - yet made sure they were still within the larger franchise (Thanos in Guardians and Falcon in Ant-Man).

But I do agree. Assuming every film going forward should be a billion dollars or it is a bust is not a realistic expectation.

Just the same way people can walk away from Civil War with the ridiculous fight premise, choppy fight scenes that were sped up way too much and brutally weak storyline and say "wow what a great movie' just baffles me.

Just the same way people can walk away from Civil War with the ridiculous fight premise, choppy fight scenes that were sped up way too much and brutally weak storyline and say "wow what a great movie' just baffles me.

You misspelled BvS.

You misspelled BvS.

exactly.

The Nolan movies were superb for one reason:

It was the first time Batman was portrayed realistically, with events that could conceivably take place in our real world.

Even the Tim Burton films took place in a gothic fantasy land.

But the Dark Knight, especially, deserves the kudos it got because it was a really good Heat-style crime epic that *just happened* to also include Batman & the Joker.

Meanwhile, The Dark Knight Rises had the audacity to follow that up by effectively adapting Tom Clancy's The Sum of All Fears.

These were adult stories told by adults, that happened to also involve our comic book heroes (see also: The Winter Soldier.)

For the opposite of all of that, look to BvS, which, while entertaining, was a throwback to the comic book-y hyper-stylizations of Tim Burton grafted onto a dystopic nightmare -- it was a _huge_ step backwards.

You misspelled BvS.

exactly.

Nah, BvS had more issues than that.

Civil War had some brutally bad fight editing/speeding up and the story was weak. Two teams just running at each other at the airport like kids fighting in grade 2 at the school yard? lol

There is a reason that Civil War is lagging some of the other, better, Marvel flicks at the box office despite the big numbers in China. It is a decent movie, but not a great one.

You misspelled BvS.

exactly.

Nah, BvS had more issues than that.

Civil War had some brutally bad fight editing/speeding up and the story was weak. Two teams just running at each other at the airport like kids fighting in grade 2 at the school yard? lol

There is a reason that Civil War is lagging some of the other, better, Marvel flicks at the box office despite the big numbers in China. It is a decent movie, but not a great one.

Presently, Civil War is 23rd All Time Domestic & 12th All Time Worldwide.

According to you these stats are just decent.

Any sensible person would agree a RT rating of 90% & One Billion in the BO is a great & successful movie.

Hey...I live in Toronto, my standards aren't that high!

Indeed, it does...

The Nolan movies were superb for one reason:

It was the first time Batman was portrayed realistically, with events that could conceivably take place in our real world.

...Largely because if this.