• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America: Civil War official movie thread (5/6/16)

2,267 posts in this topic

FYI: This is a whole thread devoted to this movie in Comics General / Comic Movies --

FYI, I really enjoy talking about comic book movies without having to go to that forum and scroll through pages of pom-pom parading cheerleaders trying to get their books to be more valuable and endless posts devoted to marketing efforts and spin by both the fan club and the studios.

True... Water Cooler has its own denizens...

My taste is all over the place. I like cotton candy like the Marvel movies. I also like movies that leave me thinking about them for weeks like Calvary, Magnolia, or Whiplash.

There really isn't much there with a Marvel movie; they have all the fun and significance of a roller coaster ride. They are a fun diversion, but they don't make me reevaluate any of my presuppositions.

The good

Spider-Man

Antman

Black panther

Bucky

The bad

I'm exhausted with RDJ

The first half of the movie

The motivation behind the main Villian

One thing I don't understand is in the credit scene of antman (or another marvel movie) doesn't falcon and cap have winter soldier captured?

I also found it interesting that Parker doesn't mention his uncle when he's asked why he's fighting crime

The airport scene lived up to the hype and delivered wonderfully

Again it seems this story is a place holder for something bigger

It felt more like winter soldier 2.5 than avengers 2.5

3 out 5 stars and way better than age of ultron

The good

Spider-Man

Antman

Black panther

Bucky

The bad

I'm exhausted with RDJ

One thing I don't understand is in the credit scene of antman (or another marvel movie) doesn't falcon and cap have winter soldier captured?

I also found it interesting that Parker doesn't mention his uncle when he's asked why he's fighting crime

I pretty much agree i was waiting for ben to come up in that conversation and i think the end credit scene from ant man was actually in this movie at 1 point so it was sort of a flash forward i guess???

Reading the posts from the last couple of days I saw that a few folks complained that the movie was a little too long.

As far as I'm concerned it was way too short. I could sit through another twelve hours or so of that.

I agree about the motivation behind the villain.

His plan is way too convoluted and contrived. To bring Bucky into the mix? Bucky wasn't even at Sokovia to want revenge on him. Zemo could have just sent the video a year earlier through FedEx to Avengers headquarters with a hand written note "Watch this. Ask Cap if he knew about this." and gotten the same result.

Also...where did that tape come from? Who puts a camera on a tree on an old backwater road? And why does the car stop RIGHT THERE in perfect center frame of a randomly placed camera that is pointed at a ditch on some rural back road? And why did Bucky point a gun at it? He was going to shoot the camera...But someone got the tape from it. So, did he shoot it, or change his mind and find he source of the camera...And in 1991 did they have long running tape or digital cameras? (Back in the 90's, I don't think I had a memory stick over 256k) And still why have a high end, long-running tape/digital camera on a tree pointing at ditch in a rural road? Was someone hoping to catch some frogs doing it?

Now that I think about the chronology, if Tony Stark was a teen/early 20's in 1991...that would make him like....maybe 35 today...and RDJ looks like he's pushing 55 up a hill the hard way. But his dad (Howard Stark) was in his late twenties (minimally) toward the end of WWII (1945), that means Stark's dad would have been 70 in 1991, and if Tony is 20 in 1991, that means Howard had him when he was 50??? And back to the earlier point, are they seriously thinking we think RDJ passes for 35?

And why doesn't stark know how his parents die? Andy why does Captain know? Wasn't he frozen when that happened? Who told Cap but never told Stark about it? Was it that jack-hole Fury? I bet it was Fury.

And since we're on this long running subject of Stark, why doesn't anyone point out the fact that the Sokovian Accords are stupid because bystanders that died didn't die because of Scarlet Witch's telekinesis or Cap's vibranium shield. Let's see:

Deaths in Sokovia caused by : ULtron (created by Tony) using Stark Industry thruster technology that was all created by...Tony Stark

Deaths in Washington DC. caused by : Falling helicarriers with new thruster technology that was created by.....Tony Stark and virus created by Shield.

Deaths in New York caused by: Portal to alien world opening above Stark Tower...built by....Tony Stark. If Stark hadn't built that tower, Loki may have simply opened the portal over a corn field in the mid west.

What 176 nations should have signed was the Stop Tony Stark from playing God Accords!

Reading the posts from the last couple of days I saw that a few folks complained that the movie was a little too long.

As far as I'm concerned it was way too short. I could sit through another twelve hours or so of that.

I just got out of the theater. This is exactly how I feel.

I want to watch 15-hour long comic books.

The movie was beyond perfect. 6 out of 5 stars.

I'm still smiling. :)

"Is one of you Tony...Stank?"

also it's great to see all these heroes fighting but man when are we ever going to get a villain team. seems like a wasted opportunity

I just got home from watching the movie. Surprisingly I only see few of the comic book related movies that come out, but this one looked interesting enough. I liked the beginning and the last 45 minutes or so, but I almost fell asleep during the entire middle. I was a bit surprised that the movie was called Captain America Civil War as Tony Stark/Iron Man received about equal airtime, maybe even more. Avengers: Civil War or Captain America v. Iron Man would be a bit more accurate. I did like the action scenes and as far as I could tell they did not use any slowmo action sequences (or at least I don't remember seeing any) so the action moved very quickly and I'm sure there were some things that I missed, however it seemed more realistic and more in real time this way. I'd give the film 3 out of a possible 5. I did enjoy this movie more than the ever so corny Deadpool or the dismal Batman v. Superman.

My taste is all over the place. I like cotton candy like the Marvel movies. I also like movies that leave me thinking about them for weeks like Calvary, Magnolia, or Whiplash.

There really isn't much there with a Marvel movie; they have all the fun and significance of a roller coaster ride. They are a fun diversion, but they don't make me reevaluate any of my presuppositions.

That is why I generally don't care for superhero movies or even superhero comic books. They may be fun but for the most part are mindless entertainment. I actually prefer to be moved or affected by my entertainment, something like a serious and realistic drama is more my taste.

I'm looking forward to Strangers in Paradise. No one will have to buff up for their role & CGI won't play into the debate.

Superheroes are naked musclemen so there's that y'all gotta deal with tonight.

(thumbs u

FYI: This is a whole thread devoted to this movie in Comics General / Comic Movies --

FYI, I really enjoy talking about comic book movies without having to go to that forum and scroll through pages of pom-pom parading cheerleaders trying to get their books to be more valuable and endless posts devoted to marketing efforts and spin by both the fan club and the studios.

not to mention the stock investors who are only interested in the box office numbers

here's what i wrote. went to see it today imax 3d

The good

Spider-Man

Antman

Black panther

Bucky

The bad

I'm exhausted with RDJ

not to mention the stock investors who are only interested in the box office numbers

I forgot all about the stock holders. :facepalm:

lol