• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America: Civil War official movie thread (5/6/16)

2,267 posts in this topic

Thanks for advising me that I'm wasting my time. :insane:

You're welcome.

:baiting:

Meanwhile, having a 'feeling for things' where you assume someone posts on here just for financial gain is what leads to the friction I mention.

My initial reply was to Doohick. Why you felt the need to chime in, I have no idea.

I have asked this question of you previously when you jump into a discussion that didn't involve you. Your response has been that this is a chat board or that you care. Interesting how that passport to insert oneself into a conversation changes depending on the scenario.

So I cared that you and Hector waste time trying to put a negative light on those wanting to also discuss the movie financials. It is just another conversation topic. Nothing more.

Question, is Spider-Man on loan to Marvel for this movie or did Marvel get him back from Sony?

Very good question. I was thinking about this the other day, and how far the deal goes.

Spider-Man: How Sony, Marvel Will Benefit from Unique Deal (EXCLUSIVE)

Marvel Studios won’t pay Sony Pictures for the rights to put Spider-Man in “Captain America: Civil War,” the “Avengers” franchise or its other superhero films, as part of its new partnership with the studio, according to sources with knowledge of the deal. At the same time, Marvel won’t receive a cut of the box office for any of Sony’s films that feature Spider-Man. Sony won’t receive a percentage of the revenue Disney makes from Marvel’s films that have Spider-Man, either.

Sony needed to breathe life into its “Spider-Man” franchise; by lending its character to Marvel, it has a way to generate more exposure for its bigscreen hero. Doing so also creates some serious goodwill among Spider-Man fans, who have wanted to see the character become part of the Avengers.

Marvel now gets access to one of the comic book company’s most popular characters — it already controlled the rights for TV, merchandise and other platforms, but the holy grail for Disney has lately been film, where it has been able to launch franchises that impact the bottom line of all of its various divisions.

The Weird Specifics Of Marvel And Sony's Secret Spider-Man Deal

According to the trade, the studios worked out a deal that will have each respective studio receiving the profits from the movies they make with Spider-Man. So Marvel doesn’t have to share profits with Sony for Civil War or The Avengers. At the same time, Sony will benefit completely from the profits made by the solo Spider-Man movies, which appear to be being made under the Sony umbrella.

Sony, in the process, rehabs Spider-Man’s image by allowing him to show up in Marvel movies, and earning goodwill from the Spidey fanbase for allowing their beloved character to show up on screen alongside other staples of the Marvel comic universe. In essence, the two studios have agreed on a system that allows them to share Spider-Man, and each use them to their own ends.

Marvel Is Making the Creative Decisions on ‘Spider-Man: Homecoming’, Says Kevin Feige

Feige spoke with Hey U Guys at the U.K. premiere of Captain America: Civil War. Asked about the complicated deal between Sony and Marvel, Feige replied:

"Well, I’ve known all those people for a very long time. Amy Pascal, Tom Rothman, who runs Sony now, I’ve known for years. So, it’s been great. They really are supportive in allowing us to make the creative decisions to make [spider-Man: Homecoming], but they’ve been great partners. So far so good on that movie."

Sony’s still the one releasing Spider-Man: Homecoming in theaters, but it sounds like Marvel is more or less running the show on the creative side. That may be the best-case scenario for everyone involved.

So it is Sony that releases the Spider-Man movie, while Marvel pulls the movie together. Sony also still releases the Animated Spider-Man movie, and can also move forward with its Venom and Sinister Six movies if it so chooses. But probably not until Homecoming is released to rebuild the character image.

Thanks Nick, all this is quite interesting.

I became a Marvel (movie) fan with the first Blade and Iron Man and then they lost me with most of what followed until Winter Soldier. Now I'm actually excited to see a Marvel film again with Civil War.

I became a Marvel (movie) fan with the first Blade and Iron Man and then they lost me with most of what followed until Winter Soldier. Now I'm actually excited to see a Marvel film again with Civil War.

I re-watched the first Thor movie on Blu-Ray (picked up a 'Like New' copy at a yard sale for $5 yesterday). The movie is such a fun experience, and I bet Thor 2 would have continued that ride if Marvel had kept Kenneth Branagh on board.

:(

My son and I went to Civil War last night and loved it.

I do feel the trailer was a bit to revealing as it gave up more than it needed.

I think fans are going to go regardless of the trailer and sometimes less is more when it comes to that in my opinion.

Making plans to see it again for sure but in IMAX 3D this time.

In terms of strength:

1. Thor

2. Hulk

3. The Thing

4. Spidey

That's how it was described in the 70's by Marvel. I always thought the hulk was the strongest personally with The Thing a close second Used to love the fights between those two

I saw it Friday evening & enjoyed it. Spider-Man made me laugh repeatedly. I'm happy to see the Vision/SW relationship taking shape. I haven't seen Ant-Man but liked him just swell in this. Even Hawkeye was okay in CW.

One thing I noticed was all the furrowed-brow acting. I began counting them [furrowed-brows] & in some scenes there were a lot.

I liked the movie.

I loved the movie. It was action packed and fun. I felt like it captured the charm of the Marvel Universe, and Spidey just pushed it over the edge.

My daughter instantly asked me to rank it- it's funny how everyone does that- but I always like to see them a second or third time. I feel like part of the success of these movies is how rewatch able they are, for the most part.

I'd prefer less fight scenes and more conversation.

The extended version will include the scenes with Stark & Cap reading from the Lincoln Douglas Debates & then later holding a mock trial of Nixon under criminal prosecution for Watergate high crimes.

Still later, the team sits down to listen to Tennessee Williams recite Hart Crane's epic poem Indiana.

Excellent job on Black Panther! Giant Man was fun as well.

There were a few plot holes though. What happened to Vision after the airport battle? And how did Caps team all end up in the underwater jail?

Spiderman, Chris Evans and Downey Jr stole the show.

I absolutely loved this movie and put it up there with BvS as one of the greatest super hero movies of all-time!

PROS

Captain America

becomes the number one hero. He is now Alpha Dog!

c-avengers-age-of-ultron_notizia-4-3-2.jpg

Iron Man

becomes a very sympathetic character when he finds out what happens to his parents. Quite sad.

Breakout new super hero award goes to Black Panther. We must see more of him.

mqdefault.jpg

Surprising character upgrade to me was Red Wing! Turning him into a drone was brilliant!

This shows me Marvel is staying up to date with the latest relevant technology!

hqdefault.jpg

Speaking of staying relevant! Guess who is back and is back big?

rsz_captain_america_civil_war_spider-man_costume.jpg

All you people who were worried about AF#15 value going down have nothing to fear now,instead expect another bull run rise!

Now the Cons

Hey no movie can be perfect!

Vision

I really find him to be a third rate Spock.

Hey Vision get rid of the sweater!

vision-sweater-181807.jpg

My biggest gripe thought belongs to Scarlet Witch!

She should have been severely reprimanded and held accountable for all those innocent deaths she caused!

Conclusion

Marvel continues to world build. Makes me care for these characters.

I want to see more adventures of these characters.

Can`t wait for these Marvel movies now!

Spider-Man

Doctor Strange

Black Panther

Also Caps rationalization of the dead (in battle during the conversation with Scarlett Witch) seemed out of character to me but maybe I haven't read enough Cap comics

Saw it last night with my wife and we both thought it was good but a bit long without much overall substance. I loved the battle scenes and got a huge kick out of Spiderman vs Giant Man but other then the battle scenes the ending seemed a bit flat. I'll definitely see it again on BlueRay but I would have liked a bit more plot development and a little less running from one battle scene to the next. And man did the first 45 minutes seem to drag. Guess this is one of the rare movies I liked a bit less then the group.