• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America: Civil War official movie thread (5/6/16)

2,267 posts in this topic

3. Baron Zemo was a weak villain. His motivations were very weak an although Daniel Bruhl gives a good performance, the audience is still left wondering why he did what he did.

Great review, but how do you figure this? It was straight-up revenge because he trusted the Avengers to save his family when instead they brought about their death. He spelled it right out at the end of the movie.

Zemo & his comrades should have been portrayed as Super Soldiers made by Red Skull from the 40's that were meant to take Cap & Bucky out. Zemo being the one that got away before getting put into suspended animation. Would have been cool to see Red Skull for a few mins in a flashback sequence too.

I found they made it look weak that Zemo tried to kill himself but after thinking it over afterwords, it just may have been his intention to let T'Challa stop him. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a plan in place to break out of the raft with help from someone like the Taskmaster, along with some other masters of evil that were already being held there. I don't think this is the last we've seen of Zemo.

I don't think we're done with Zemo. The next time we see him I believe he will be full-blown masked Zemo. :wishluck:

Perhaps a team-up of Zemo and a returning Red Skull to take on Cap.

I kinda wish Panther

wouldn't have got to Zemo quite in time when he put the gun to his head & did manage to shoot himself, but for him to still "miss" and just hideously disfigure himself. That way, it gives him

a reason to wear the full-blown Zemo mask next time around.

My only issue with Zemo which was mentioned before is we didn't really get to see that he was from the 1940s and was part of Hydra. Somehow that was glossed over.

My only issue with Zemo which was mentioned before is we didn't really get to see that he was from the 1940s and was part of Hydra. Somehow that was glossed over.

It was not glossed over. For purposes of the MCU he wasnt that Zemo. He's just Helmut Zemo, pissed off father and husband, ex special forces.

I wimped out because it was a group of people who seemed potentially volatile, and I didn't want some tense exchange to ruin the rest of the movie. Early on I was thinking, "Is this guy really going to keep checking his cell phone? Surely he will stop once the movie picks up momentum?" Then by mid-way through, I realized he wasn't going to stop, but by then it was almost as if I had tacitly given him permission by not saying anything up to that point, and it would be weird to suddenly talk to him. Also at least two of his friends were also texting so I would have to ask the whole group to stop, and I wasn't feeling particularly testosteroned up. So I got into the habit of holding my hand next to my eye to block out the light of the cell phone. Yeah, totally wimped out there.

It got me to thinking that maybe I should patent "movie blinkers/blinders" eyewear that blocks out peripheral vision in theaters, sort like the blinders on horses during races. Let me now Google that and let's see if there is already a product on the market.... (GOING TO GOOGLE IT NOW...) Well I typed in several variations on "movie cell phone blinders" or "movie cellphone peripheral vision" and nothing came up. So there probably isn't really a market for such things. Maybe I should set up a Kickstarter business to produce and sell these things as specialty items for cinephiles. Who's with me?!

Get a cell phone jammer instead. :sumo:

So it is Sony that releases the Spider-Man movie, while Marvel pulls the movie together.

What does Marvel get for producing Sony's stand-alone Spider-Man movies?

It was not glossed over. For purposes of the MCU he wasnt that Zemo. He's just Helmut Zemo, pissed off father and husband, ex special forces.

Isn't it the same actor who played Heinrich Zemo?

So it is Sony that releases the Spider-Man movie, while Marvel pulls the movie together.

the use of Spidey in MCU movies.

But will this happen with other characters as well - and other studios? We shall see.

If Fox doesn't do this for at least Fantastic Four, they're insane. :screwy:

in spidey annual 1 i recall a page where he has some sort of platform on his shoulders and standing on it are the marvel characters that are stronger than him--i'm not around my copy, can someone post a pic?

I know in Spidey Annual #4 he is holding up the common powerhouses on his shoulders.

qpnIAQQ.jpg

I've heard Marvel give some specificity to Spider-Man's strength--he's supposed to be ten times stronger than an average human. Not sure about Cap.

I can't imagine that's it given that producing a movie costs hundreds of millions of dollars. They've got to get paid for that work.

I've always thought Spider-Man was far stronger than Cap. Spider-Man isn't nearly the strongest superhero though. Marvel Directory says:

STRENGTH LEVEL: Captain America represents the pinnacle of human physical perfection. While not superhuman, he is as strong as a human being can be. He can lift (press) a maximum of 800 pounds with supreme effort.

Spider-Man's overall metabolic efficiency has been greatly increased, and the composition of his skeleton, inter-connected tissues, and nervous system have all been enhanced. Spider-Man's musculature has been augmented so that he can lift (press) about 10 tons.

Not sure what movie? He wasn't in the first avenger. Zola was but not Zemo.

Spider-Man's overall metabolic efficiency has been greatly increased, and the composition of his skeleton, inter-connected tissues, and nervous system have all been enhanced. Spider-Man's musculature has been augmented so that he can lift (press) about 10 tons.

Well that's quite a bit more than ten times as strong as a regular human. I'd guess the average man can press about 150 pounds, so those numbers put Cap at five times stronger than a regular man and Spider-Man over 100 times stronger. I don't think they've consistently displayed Spider-Man as being that strong...he should be able to lift 5 or 6 cars at once at that strength.

I've yet to watch the Ant man movie..Paul Rudd in civil war makes me want to correct that.

It's seriously in my Top 5 of the Marvel Studios movies (probably #5). It's a really fun watch that's not nearly as grandiose in scale as the Avengers stuff, which is refreshing. If you liked the few minutes of Rudd in Civil War, you will love it.

I can't imagine that's it given that producing a movie costs hundreds of millions of dollars. They've got to get paid for that work.

Sony finances the movie & gets all the profits. The employees working on those movies get paid by Sony (instead of Marvel) but Marvel uses its people. There's no profit for Disney/Marvel for all the Marvel personnel that go to work on Spidey solo-movies, but Marvel apparently values the character use rights on any number of movies more than the profit off of making 1 movie. If that makes any sense.

It's not like Marvel is paying the bills to make a movie for Sony & then sony gets all the money from the finished product or something. It's a financial wash for Marvel to do work on a solo Spidey movie.

Not sure what movie? He wasn't in the first avenger. Zola was but not Zemo.

I could have sworn Zemo was in Avengers AoU in a flash back to the 40s but perhaps I am wrong.

in spidey annual 1 i recall a page where he has some sort of platform on his shoulders and standing on it are the marvel characters that are stronger than him--i'm not around my copy, can someone post a pic?

I know in Spidey Annual #4 he is holding up the common powerhouses on his shoulders.

qpnIAQQ.jpg

I've heard Marvel give some specificity to Spider-Man's strength--he's supposed to be ten times stronger than an average human. Not sure about Cap.

Shouldn't the Silver Surfer be on that scale that Spider-man is lifting?

I'm thinking that for illustrative purposes, they used the more heavily featured characters. There are lots of characters that are physically stronger than Spidey but only so many can be used in the illustration.

I'm thinking that for illustrative purposes, they used the more heavily featured characters. There are lots of characters that are physically stronger than Spidey but only so many can be used in the illustration.

Fair enough - I feel like we need a ranking of strength of Marvel heroes/villains and might as well throw in the DC characters as well (i.e., how much stronger is Superman than Thor or Hulk? Inquiring minds want to know :) )