• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America: Civil War official movie thread (5/6/16)

2,267 posts in this topic

The Russo brothers have come a long way since directing Arrested Development & Community.

Are there other examples of comedy directors transitioning to big-budget action films as well?

Jon Favreau might count -- he wrote, produced & starred in Swingers long before directing Iron Man.

And Swingers was directed by Doug Liman, who transitioned to action with The Bourne Identity, Mr. & Mrs. Smith, and Edge of Tomorrow.

Who else?

Is this another Vintage vs Bosco Royal Rumble?

What's that line from Battlestar?

Not at all. I've made my point. He made his - with a lot more words. Meanwhile, posting will still occur with either view.

(:

Fun movie!

Negatives:

The first hour felt was a tad slow at times

Some of the action sequences were a little too sped up and camera too close to understand what was happening.

Aunt May seemed like a miscast.

I wish the trailers didn't show a certain spoiler or two.

Positives:

Loved Spider-Man and Ant-Man. Those two seemed to steal the show whenever they were on screen.

RDJ did a great job at acting.

Airport fight sequence was SO well done.

Left movie with a great feeling, looking forward to more.

I'd give it a 9 out of 10. One of Marvels best

In terms of strength:

1. Hulk

2. Thor

3. The Thing

4. Spidey

That's how it was described in the 70's by Marvel. I always thought the hulk was the strongest personally with The Thing a close second Used to love the fights between those two

Fixed that for you.

Based on strength, the Hulk is the strongest one there is.

I haven't heard much talk about power levels displayed in the movie

I thought

Cap was over powered

Iron Man was under powered

Vision, not sure, but he does have an infinity stone on his head, couldn't he have wiped everyone out in a blink if he wanted too? Again, I'm not sure what all his normal powers are.

Wanda, same as vision, couldn't she have just swept everyone up together and transported them 20miles away? Not sure what all she can and can't do.

Spiderman seemed about right, maybe a touch on the strong side

Black widow, way over powered, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this just a normal 120lb woman with extreme martial arts skills? Seemed to handle more than someone with those abilities should be able too

Antman seemed right

Black Panther seemed right

Thoughts?

Question, is Spider-Man on loan to Marvel for this movie or did Marvel get him back from Sony?

Sony basically leased Spider-man to Marvel/Disney for the foreseeable future.

Sony: FREE $

Marvel/Disney: creative control with a quick approval from Sony which will 99.99999% of the time will be a quick YES reply back.

Basically Sony gets a nice price of everything that is Spider-man while Marvel uses their creative forces to make the character even bigger than before.

Saw the movie last night and really enjoyed it. I'm seeing it once more today which I never really do unless a movie really captures my interest. I thought the story moved perfectly and everything was left at a good point. I have mixed feelings about the new spidey but overall, I like him and it will be cool to watch him grow with the later movies. Seems like he's actually the perfect age now to reflect Spidey's early SA days. Loved Black Panther's introduction also. Much better use of my 2 1/2 hours than BvS.

Vision, not sure, but he does have an infinity stone on his head, couldn't he have wiped everyone out in a blink if he wanted too? Again, I'm not sure what all his normal powers are.

I thought it was pretty well-established in the films that both are now cautious to the point of being afraid to unleash their full powers...so as a result they're both "under-powered" right now.

Question, is Spider-Man on loan to Marvel for this movie or did Marvel get him back from Sony?

Marvel/Disney: creative control with a quick approval from Sony which will 99.99999% of the time will be a quick YES reply back.

Basically Sony gets a nice price of everything that is Spider-man while Marvel uses their creative forces to make the character even bigger than before.

:gossip: I think he got that.

:baiting:

:gossip: I think he got that.

:baiting:

Well so many of you keep asking so it can't hurt to have another post about it.

Well so many of you keep asking so it can't hurt to have another post about it.

It is a very interesting arrangement.

Very good question. I was thinking about this the other day, and how far the deal goes.

Spider-Man: How Sony, Marvel Will Benefit from Unique Deal (EXCLUSIVE)

Marvel Studios won’t pay Sony Pictures for the rights to put Spider-Man in “Captain America: Civil War,” the “Avengers” franchise or its other superhero films, as part of its new partnership with the studio, according to sources with knowledge of the deal. At the same time, Marvel won’t receive a cut of the box office for any of Sony’s films that feature Spider-Man. Sony won’t receive a percentage of the revenue Disney makes from Marvel’s films that have Spider-Man, either.

Sony needed to breathe life into its “Spider-Man” franchise; by lending its character to Marvel, it has a way to generate more exposure for its bigscreen hero. Doing so also creates some serious goodwill among Spider-Man fans, who have wanted to see the character become part of the Avengers.

Marvel now gets access to one of the comic book company’s most popular characters — it already controlled the rights for TV, merchandise and other platforms, but the holy grail for Disney has lately been film, where it has been able to launch franchises that impact the bottom line of all of its various divisions.

The Weird Specifics Of Marvel And Sony's Secret Spider-Man Deal

According to the trade, the studios worked out a deal that will have each respective studio receiving the profits from the movies they make with Spider-Man. So Marvel doesn’t have to share profits with Sony for Civil War or The Avengers. At the same time, Sony will benefit completely from the profits made by the solo Spider-Man movies, which appear to be being made under the Sony umbrella.

Sony, in the process, rehabs Spider-Man’s image by allowing him to show up in Marvel movies, and earning goodwill from the Spidey fanbase for allowing their beloved character to show up on screen alongside other staples of the Marvel comic universe. In essence, the two studios have agreed on a system that allows them to share Spider-Man, and each use them to their own ends.

Marvel Is Making the Creative Decisions on ‘Spider-Man: Homecoming’, Says Kevin Feige

Feige spoke with Hey U Guys at the U.K. premiere of Captain America: Civil War. Asked about the complicated deal between Sony and Marvel, Feige replied:

"Well, I’ve known all those people for a very long time. Amy Pascal, Tom Rothman, who runs Sony now, I’ve known for years. So, it’s been great. They really are supportive in allowing us to make the creative decisions to make [spider-Man: Homecoming], but they’ve been great partners. So far so good on that movie."

Sony’s still the one releasing Spider-Man: Homecoming in theaters, but it sounds like Marvel is more or less running the show on the creative side. That may be the best-case scenario for everyone involved.

So it is Sony that releases the Spider-Man movie, while Marvel pulls the movie together. Sony also still releases the Animated Spider-Man movie, and can also move forward with its Venom and Sinister Six movies if it so chooses. But probably not until Homecoming is released to rebuild the character image.

But will this happen with other characters as well - and other studios? We shall see.

In terms of strength:

1. Hulk

2. Thor

3. The Thing

4. Spidey

That's how it was described in the 70's by Marvel. I always thought the hulk was the strongest personally with The Thing a close second Used to love the fights between those two

Fixed that for you.

Based on strength, the Hulk is the strongest one there is.

in spidey annual 1 i recall a page where he has some sort of platform on his shoulders and standing on it are the marvel characters that are stronger than him--i'm not around my copy, can someone post a pic?

In terms of strength:

1. Thor

2. Hulk

3. The Thing

4. Spidey

I've always viewed the strength issue as conditional. If all heroes were created equally, you'd have:

1 Hulk

2 Thor, Thing, Sub-mariner

3 Spider-man

But since they're not equally created:

1 Thor as long as his immortal power exist, Hulk, Sub-mariner as long as he's hydrated

2 Thing

3 Spider-man

That's just an example using the heroes you mentioned, with me adding Sub-mariner who can be a powerhouse too until he starts to be a fish out of water. (thumbs u

in spidey annual 1 i recall a page where he has some sort of platform on his shoulders and standing on it are the marvel characters that are stronger than him--i'm not around my copy, can someone post a pic?

I know in Spidey Annual #4 he is holding up the common powerhouses on his shoulders.

qpnIAQQ.jpg

One part of a scene I also LOVED is...

When Spidey was taking down Ant-Man ala the Snowspeeders in ESB, the music cue was VERY much a John Williams-inspired Star Wars bit. It was awesome. I heard it immediately and my smile got even bigger than it already was. A great tribute. It's small, but great.