• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America: Civil War official movie thread (5/6/16)

2,267 posts in this topic

Domestic: $181,791,000

Worldwide: $678,391,000

Funny319.jpg

Replace that with a pic of Downey Jr and it ll be spot on - pulling in 50M+ for each of these flicks = he's the real winner.

Well to be fair casting Ben Afleck as Batman was in fact a smart move.

Has anyone assumed what I am assuming after 2019 regarding Marvel Studios?

Once Phrase 3 has ended after the Avengers defeat Thanos I envision Marvel Studios will do something much they did here:

I envision the screen showing something in the lines of PHASE 4 then all of sudden the word "PHASE" disappears and is replaced with:

FANTASTIC

I feel with Marvel/Disney under control of this franchise can you imagine what a real FF, Galactus, Skrulls, and Silver Surfer would look like? :ohnoez:

IMO this makes perfect sense. Give the other heroes we have seen for 10+ years a break so we dont get oversaturated with them and pump out FF mixed with Black Panther, Ghost Rider, Blade, and more Doctor Strange just to name a few.

Saw if Friday and thought it was great. Marvel makes it look so easy. Kudos to them on their reign of the superhero movies. And they are gaining ground with their TV as well.

Well so many of you keep asking so it can't hurt to have another post about it.

It is a very interesting arrangement.

Question, is Spider-Man on loan to Marvel for this movie or did Marvel get him back from Sony?

Very good question. I was thinking about this the other day, and how far the deal goes.

Spider-Man: How Sony, Marvel Will Benefit from Unique Deal (EXCLUSIVE)

Marvel Studios won’t pay Sony Pictures for the rights to put Spider-Man in “Captain America: Civil War,” the “Avengers” franchise or its other superhero films, as part of its new partnership with the studio, according to sources with knowledge of the deal. At the same time, Marvel won’t receive a cut of the box office for any of Sony’s films that feature Spider-Man. Sony won’t receive a percentage of the revenue Disney makes from Marvel’s films that have Spider-Man, either.

Sony needed to breathe life into its “Spider-Man” franchise; by lending its character to Marvel, it has a way to generate more exposure for its bigscreen hero. Doing so also creates some serious goodwill among Spider-Man fans, who have wanted to see the character become part of the Avengers.

Marvel now gets access to one of the comic book company’s most popular characters — it already controlled the rights for TV, merchandise and other platforms, but the holy grail for Disney has lately been film, where it has been able to launch franchises that impact the bottom line of all of its various divisions.

The Weird Specifics Of Marvel And Sony's Secret Spider-Man Deal

According to the trade, the studios worked out a deal that will have each respective studio receiving the profits from the movies they make with Spider-Man. So Marvel doesn’t have to share profits with Sony for Civil War or The Avengers. At the same time, Sony will benefit completely from the profits made by the solo Spider-Man movies, which appear to be being made under the Sony umbrella.

Sony, in the process, rehabs Spider-Man’s image by allowing him to show up in Marvel movies, and earning goodwill from the Spidey fanbase for allowing their beloved character to show up on screen alongside other staples of the Marvel comic universe. In essence, the two studios have agreed on a system that allows them to share Spider-Man, and each use them to their own ends.

Marvel Is Making the Creative Decisions on ‘Spider-Man: Homecoming’, Says Kevin Feige

Feige spoke with Hey U Guys at the U.K. premiere of Captain America: Civil War. Asked about the complicated deal between Sony and Marvel, Feige replied:

"Well, I’ve known all those people for a very long time. Amy Pascal, Tom Rothman, who runs Sony now, I’ve known for years. So, it’s been great. They really are supportive in allowing us to make the creative decisions to make [spider-Man: Homecoming], but they’ve been great partners. So far so good on that movie."

Sony’s still the one releasing Spider-Man: Homecoming in theaters, but it sounds like Marvel is more or less running the show on the creative side. That may be the best-case scenario for everyone involved.

So it is Sony that releases the Spider-Man movie, while Marvel pulls the movie together. Sony also still releases the Animated Spider-Man movie, and can also move forward with its Venom and Sinister Six movies if it so chooses. But probably not until Homecoming is released to rebuild the character image.

But will this happen with other characters as well - and other studios? We shall see.

I would love to see the same arrangement with Fox. Hugh Jackman made a statement about this years ago. Maybe they could even get him to come back if it was for a joint project.

i well say these the russo are the greatest thing to ever happen to marvel. them and their writing team did a great job on making Phase 2 unbalance continunity (in my own opinion) work in one movie. i just feel that maverl has nothing great coming in phase 4 since thanos is the biggest emeny they on less they get the rights to FF4 back.

Is this another Vintage vs Bosco Royal Rumble?

What's that line from Battlestar?

Not at all. I've made my point. He made his - with a lot more words. Meanwhile, posting will still occur with either view.

(:

It wouldn't be a Bosco reply without a mild backhand in every reply. :cloud9:

Bosco vs Roy.

It's like Defenders 10.

Roy -- you love Thor.

I love Hulk. Therefore, I'm empowered to assign Hulk to Bosco.

Domestic: $181,791,000

Worldwide: $678,391,000

Funny319.jpg

Replace that with a pic of Downey Jr and it ll be spot on - pulling in 50M+ for each of these flicks = he's the real winner.

Wait till next weekend when his bonus kicks in lol

Is this another Vintage vs Bosco Royal Rumble?

What's that line from Battlestar?

Not at all. I've made my point. He made his - with a lot more words. Meanwhile, posting will still occur with either view.

(:

It wouldn't be a Bosco reply without a mild backhand in every reply. :cloud9:

It wouldn't be a Vintage post without some drama statement like 'every reply'.

:acclaim:

Done?

Bosco vs Roy.

It's like Defenders 10.

Roy -- you love Thor.

I love Hulk. Therefore, I'm empowered to assign Hulk to Bosco.

8.jpg

Hulk set to 'claims of investment scandal - SMASH'.

(:

in spidey annual 1 i recall a page where he has some sort of platform on his shoulders and standing on it are the marvel characters that are stronger than him--i'm not around my copy, can someone post a pic?

I know in Spidey Annual #4 he is holding up the common powerhouses on his shoulders.

qpnIAQQ.jpg

that's what I'm talkin' about!!! thanks bosco.

I will never get tired of watching this airport fight.

I first was captivated by a comic book at age 6. I'm now 44 years old.

After all these years...to watch a living, breathing comic book...

I'm very very thankful to be alive to see it.

It is glorious.

Well so many of you keep asking so it can't hurt to have another post about it.

It is a very interesting arrangement.

Question, is Spider-Man on loan to Marvel for this movie or did Marvel get him back from Sony?

Very good question. I was thinking about this the other day, and how far the deal goes.

Spider-Man: How Sony, Marvel Will Benefit from Unique Deal (EXCLUSIVE)

Marvel Studios won’t pay Sony Pictures for the rights to put Spider-Man in “Captain America: Civil War,” the “Avengers” franchise or its other superhero films, as part of its new partnership with the studio, according to sources with knowledge of the deal. At the same time, Marvel won’t receive a cut of the box office for any of Sony’s films that feature Spider-Man. Sony won’t receive a percentage of the revenue Disney makes from Marvel’s films that have Spider-Man, either.

Sony needed to breathe life into its “Spider-Man” franchise; by lending its character to Marvel, it has a way to generate more exposure for its bigscreen hero. Doing so also creates some serious goodwill among Spider-Man fans, who have wanted to see the character become part of the Avengers.

Marvel now gets access to one of the comic book company’s most popular characters — it already controlled the rights for TV, merchandise and other platforms, but the holy grail for Disney has lately been film, where it has been able to launch franchises that impact the bottom line of all of its various divisions.

The Weird Specifics Of Marvel And Sony's Secret Spider-Man Deal

According to the trade, the studios worked out a deal that will have each respective studio receiving the profits from the movies they make with Spider-Man. So Marvel doesn’t have to share profits with Sony for Civil War or The Avengers. At the same time, Sony will benefit completely from the profits made by the solo Spider-Man movies, which appear to be being made under the Sony umbrella.

Sony, in the process, rehabs Spider-Man’s image by allowing him to show up in Marvel movies, and earning goodwill from the Spidey fanbase for allowing their beloved character to show up on screen alongside other staples of the Marvel comic universe. In essence, the two studios have agreed on a system that allows them to share Spider-Man, and each use them to their own ends.

Marvel Is Making the Creative Decisions on ‘Spider-Man: Homecoming’, Says Kevin Feige

Feige spoke with Hey U Guys at the U.K. premiere of Captain America: Civil War. Asked about the complicated deal between Sony and Marvel, Feige replied:

"Well, I’ve known all those people for a very long time. Amy Pascal, Tom Rothman, who runs Sony now, I’ve known for years. So, it’s been great. They really are supportive in allowing us to make the creative decisions to make [spider-Man: Homecoming], but they’ve been great partners. So far so good on that movie."

Sony’s still the one releasing Spider-Man: Homecoming in theaters, but it sounds like Marvel is more or less running the show on the creative side. That may be the best-case scenario for everyone involved.

So it is Sony that releases the Spider-Man movie, while Marvel pulls the movie together. Sony also still releases the Animated Spider-Man movie, and can also move forward with its Venom and Sinister Six movies if it so chooses. But probably not until Homecoming is released to rebuild the character image.

But will this happen with other characters as well - and other studios? We shall see.

I would love to see the same arrangement with Fox. Hugh Jackman made a statement about this years ago. Maybe they could even get him to come back if it was for a joint project.

I doubt Fox would want this. They already have a very successful franchise, especially with the edition of Deadpool. And I think the X-Men have enough layers and characters to merit its own separate film universe. Spider-Man definitely benefits from being brought under the MCU umbrella. I don't think the X-Men benefit in the same way.