• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America: Civil War official movie thread (5/6/16)

2,267 posts in this topic

Well so many of you keep asking so it can't hurt to have another post about it.

It is a very interesting arrangement.

Question, is Spider-Man on loan to Marvel for this movie or did Marvel get him back from Sony?

Very good question. I was thinking about this the other day, and how far the deal goes.

Spider-Man: How Sony, Marvel Will Benefit from Unique Deal (EXCLUSIVE)

Marvel Studios won’t pay Sony Pictures for the rights to put Spider-Man in “Captain America: Civil War,” the “Avengers” franchise or its other superhero films, as part of its new partnership with the studio, according to sources with knowledge of the deal. At the same time, Marvel won’t receive a cut of the box office for any of Sony’s films that feature Spider-Man. Sony won’t receive a percentage of the revenue Disney makes from Marvel’s films that have Spider-Man, either.

Sony needed to breathe life into its “Spider-Man” franchise; by lending its character to Marvel, it has a way to generate more exposure for its bigscreen hero. Doing so also creates some serious goodwill among Spider-Man fans, who have wanted to see the character become part of the Avengers.

Marvel now gets access to one of the comic book company’s most popular characters — it already controlled the rights for TV, merchandise and other platforms, but the holy grail for Disney has lately been film, where it has been able to launch franchises that impact the bottom line of all of its various divisions.

The Weird Specifics Of Marvel And Sony's Secret Spider-Man Deal

According to the trade, the studios worked out a deal that will have each respective studio receiving the profits from the movies they make with Spider-Man. So Marvel doesn’t have to share profits with Sony for Civil War or The Avengers. At the same time, Sony will benefit completely from the profits made by the solo Spider-Man movies, which appear to be being made under the Sony umbrella.

Sony, in the process, rehabs Spider-Man’s image by allowing him to show up in Marvel movies, and earning goodwill from the Spidey fanbase for allowing their beloved character to show up on screen alongside other staples of the Marvel comic universe. In essence, the two studios have agreed on a system that allows them to share Spider-Man, and each use them to their own ends.

Marvel Is Making the Creative Decisions on ‘Spider-Man: Homecoming’, Says Kevin Feige

Feige spoke with Hey U Guys at the U.K. premiere of Captain America: Civil War. Asked about the complicated deal between Sony and Marvel, Feige replied:

"Well, I’ve known all those people for a very long time. Amy Pascal, Tom Rothman, who runs Sony now, I’ve known for years. So, it’s been great. They really are supportive in allowing us to make the creative decisions to make [spider-Man: Homecoming], but they’ve been great partners. So far so good on that movie."

Sony’s still the one releasing Spider-Man: Homecoming in theaters, but it sounds like Marvel is more or less running the show on the creative side. That may be the best-case scenario for everyone involved.

So it is Sony that releases the Spider-Man movie, while Marvel pulls the movie together. Sony also still releases the Animated Spider-Man movie, and can also move forward with its Venom and Sinister Six movies if it so chooses. But probably not until Homecoming is released to rebuild the character image.

But will this happen with other characters as well - and other studios? We shall see.

I would love to see the same arrangement with Fox. Hugh Jackman made a statement about this years ago. Maybe they could even get him to come back if it was for a joint project.

I doubt Fox would want this. They already have a very successful franchise, especially with the edition of Deadpool. And I think the X-Men have enough layers and characters to merit its own separate film universe. Spider-Man definitely benefits from being brought under the MCU umbrella. I don't think the X-Men benefit in the same way.

I disagree. I think lending out the characters to Marvel would only serve to further promote their franchise (both directly and indirectly) and do one hell of a service to fans like me who are willing to give their left nut to see the X and FF characters alongside their MCU counterparts. The only (significant) downside that I can think of is that they would definitely have to cede some creative control to Marvel to align with however the phase is developing at the time. I could see Fox execs being open to it, but I'd wonder what Brian Singer has to say about that, or Kinberg.

Well so many of you keep asking so it can't hurt to have another post about it.

It is a very interesting arrangement.

Question, is Spider-Man on loan to Marvel for this movie or did Marvel get him back from Sony?

Very good question. I was thinking about this the other day, and how far the deal goes.

Spider-Man: How Sony, Marvel Will Benefit from Unique Deal (EXCLUSIVE)

Marvel Studios won’t pay Sony Pictures for the rights to put Spider-Man in “Captain America: Civil War,” the “Avengers” franchise or its other superhero films, as part of its new partnership with the studio, according to sources with knowledge of the deal. At the same time, Marvel won’t receive a cut of the box office for any of Sony’s films that feature Spider-Man. Sony won’t receive a percentage of the revenue Disney makes from Marvel’s films that have Spider-Man, either.

Sony needed to breathe life into its “Spider-Man” franchise; by lending its character to Marvel, it has a way to generate more exposure for its bigscreen hero. Doing so also creates some serious goodwill among Spider-Man fans, who have wanted to see the character become part of the Avengers.

Marvel now gets access to one of the comic book company’s most popular characters — it already controlled the rights for TV, merchandise and other platforms, but the holy grail for Disney has lately been film, where it has been able to launch franchises that impact the bottom line of all of its various divisions.

The Weird Specifics Of Marvel And Sony's Secret Spider-Man Deal

According to the trade, the studios worked out a deal that will have each respective studio receiving the profits from the movies they make with Spider-Man. So Marvel doesn’t have to share profits with Sony for Civil War or The Avengers. At the same time, Sony will benefit completely from the profits made by the solo Spider-Man movies, which appear to be being made under the Sony umbrella.

Sony, in the process, rehabs Spider-Man’s image by allowing him to show up in Marvel movies, and earning goodwill from the Spidey fanbase for allowing their beloved character to show up on screen alongside other staples of the Marvel comic universe. In essence, the two studios have agreed on a system that allows them to share Spider-Man, and each use them to their own ends.

Marvel Is Making the Creative Decisions on ‘Spider-Man: Homecoming’, Says Kevin Feige

Feige spoke with Hey U Guys at the U.K. premiere of Captain America: Civil War. Asked about the complicated deal between Sony and Marvel, Feige replied:

"Well, I’ve known all those people for a very long time. Amy Pascal, Tom Rothman, who runs Sony now, I’ve known for years. So, it’s been great. They really are supportive in allowing us to make the creative decisions to make [spider-Man: Homecoming], but they’ve been great partners. So far so good on that movie."

Sony’s still the one releasing Spider-Man: Homecoming in theaters, but it sounds like Marvel is more or less running the show on the creative side. That may be the best-case scenario for everyone involved.

So it is Sony that releases the Spider-Man movie, while Marvel pulls the movie together. Sony also still releases the Animated Spider-Man movie, and can also move forward with its Venom and Sinister Six movies if it so chooses. But probably not until Homecoming is released to rebuild the character image.

But will this happen with other characters as well - and other studios? We shall see.

I would love to see the same arrangement with Fox. Hugh Jackman made a statement about this years ago. Maybe they could even get him to come back if it was for a joint project.

I doubt Fox would want this. They already have a very successful franchise, especially with the edition of Deadpool. And I think the X-Men have enough layers and characters to merit its own separate film universe. Spider-Man definitely benefits from being brought under the MCU umbrella. I don't think the X-Men benefit in the same way.

I disagree. I think lending out the characters to Marvel would only serve to further promote their franchise (both directly and indirectly) and do one hell of a service to fans like me who are willing to give their left nut to see the X and FF characters alongside their MCU counterparts. The only (significant) downside that I can think of is that they would definitely have to cede some creative control to Marvel to align with however the phase is developing at the time. I could see Fox execs being open to it, but I'd wonder what Brian Singer has to say about that, or Kinberg.

Unless a string of X-films bomb, it's a pipe dream.

Saw it. 8/10. Incredibly entertaining. Impressive how the Russo Bros. pulled it all off with so many characters. Fight choreography (especially Widow) just off the charts. Kids in the movie theatre going crazy for Spidey.

Guys, savor this. We are at a zenith in comic book culture popularity. Hope it keeps going like this but not taking for granted what we see now.

Saw the film last night and here's my mini-review - sensitive material will be spoiler tagged.

The Good:

5. Incredible comic-book action. This is some of the best superhero action to ever be put on film and the Battle of Leipzig set the new standard for superhero fights.

4. Falcon and Bucky had an amazing chemistry that can't be taught. The humor back and forth between these guys was incredible.

3. Tom Holland is now the perfect cinematic Spider-Man. Tobey Maguire was a good Peter Parker, but a poor Spider-Man. Conversely, Andrew Garfield was a great Spider-Man, but a sub-par Peter Parker. Tom Holland was the first one to nail, nail, nail both aspects of the character.

2. Everybody loves Paul Rudd. When you can steal scenes from Captain freaking America, you know you have something going on.

Plus the scenes of him milling about inside Iron Man's armor ("I'm your conscience!") and the Giant Man reveal were awesome. And how could you make this movie and NOT have Spider-Man fight Ant-Man?

1. The thread that flows from The Avengers through Iron Man 3 and into Avengers: Age of Ultron and this film is one of choices, responsibility and the consequences of one's actions. This is personified with the increasing weight that Tony Stark feels for not only his PTSD from the Battle of New York to unleashing Ultron on the world. As someone who was ardently Team Cap for everything, Stark, through RDJ's performance, makes you feel the weight of his decisions and how they shape the world around him. This is something I feel that was missing from even the Civil War comic and all the credit in the world goes to the screenwriters and RDJ for giving Iron Man more depth than he even had in the source material.

The bad:

5. Would have liked to have seen some integration with the Netflix characters. Have Cap recruit Daredevil and Stark responds with Spider-Man. For how great they are, the Netflix shows still feel kind of...detached from the main MCU.

4. Nothing was really done to set up future movies. Nothing was really done to address the Infinity Stones or the larger threat therein.

3. Baron Zemo was a weak villain. His motivations were very weak an although Daniel Bruhl gives a good performance, the audience is still left wondering why he did what he did.

2. The characters seem a bit too durable. Jumping from eight stories up and landing with a combat roll to avoid injury seems a bit unrealistic and takes the audience out of the "plausible deniability" realm of believability.

No big death. I was hoping that Rhodey would end up dying to add some emotional weight to the Civil War, similar to how Goliath dying in the comic served to add some weight and consequence to what happened. Similarly, the battle between Stark and Rogers just...ended. There was no moment of realization like in the comics that they weren't fighting for the people, they were just...fighting. Leaves things open-ended and unresolved.

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-08%20at%208.51.40%20PM.png

Overall, I give this movie a 9.2. Near Mint -. Not perfect, a couple issues that could have been ironed (pressed) out, but a perfectly good good good good movie.

I will never get tired of watching this airport fight.

I first was captivated by a comic book at age 6. I'm now 44 years old.

After all these years...to watch a living, breathing comic book...

I'm very very thankful to be alive to see it.

It is glorious.

That is a great sequence, one of the best ever in a comic book movie.

3. Baron Zemo was a weak villain. His motivations were very weak an although Daniel Bruhl gives a good performance, the audience is still left wondering why he did what he did.

Great review, but how do you figure this? It was straight-up revenge because he trusted the Avengers to save his family when instead they brought about their death. He spelled it right out at the end of the movie.

No big death. I was hoping that Rhodey would end up dying to add some emotional weight to the Civil War, similar to how Goliath dying in the comic served to add some weight and consequence to what happened. Similarly, the battle between Stark and Rogers just...ended. There was no moment of realization like in the comics that they weren't fighting for the people, they were just...fighting. Leaves things open-ended and unresolved

This was pretty much my main gripe with the movie. Felt slightly cheated at the end. Great review tho :thumbsup:

I'm not sure they're done with Zemo. My thoughts, and granted... this all stems from one line of dialog in the movie? But when he said it I felt like it HAD to have had meaning...

I know it was all about his family and Sakovia with him... but damn if there wasn't something Nazi/Arian about him. And then what cinched that for me? When he was up close with Cap? He noticed a "bit of green" in his eyes as a sign that he had a weakness...i.e. he wasn't a pure bred blonde hair blue eyed man that the Nazis would value.

I'm telling you... they aren't done with him. Either he evolves into actual Zemo... or he somehow/some way has something to do with becoming or creating the next Red Skull.

Anyone else?

Maybe this was addressed in the movie and I missed it, but where did Black Panther get his super-abilties? I mean, he was running as fast as Cap.

I'm sure they'll address this in his solo movie. It's the herbs he consumes, combined with king-sized training, right?

so glad trailers never showed Giant Man. They really reigned it in on the trailers for the most part. Unlike DC advertising their surprises. They have to give it all to you because their films rest on big moments. There is nothing else to them. If they don't show them to you, you won't go unless you're just dying to see the movies before then.

Great review, but how do you figure this? It was straight-up revenge because he trusted the Avengers to save his family when instead they brought about their death. He spelled it right out at the end of the movie.

Zemo & his comrades should have been portrayed as Super Soldiers made by Red Skull from the 40's that were meant to take Cap & Bucky out. Zemo being the one that got away before getting put into suspended animation. Would have been cool to see Red Skull for a few mins in a flashback sequence too.

I found they made it look weak that Zemo tried to kill himself but after thinking it over afterwords, it just may have been his intention to let T'Challa stop him. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a plan in place to break out of the raft with help from someone like the Taskmaster, along with some other masters of evil that were already being held there. I don't think this is the last we've seen of Zemo.

Ive yet to watch the Ant man movie..Paul rudd in civil war makes me want to correct that.
You'll enjoy it when you watch it, but forget about it once it's over. A lot of boardies enjoyed it though. I just thought I've seen it before and it lacked an edge GotG, Winter Soldier had to make it standout. Rudd felt wasted of his potential, by playing it safe.

My 2c and some disjointed thoughts.

Overall; very enjoyable.

The best part was the main battle; now that was a great comic book ensemble battle.

Reminded me a little of the DC injustice video (too bad they couldn't translate that to the big screen).

I thought the storyline felt a little thin... maybe, because there were so many characters to work with.

That puts the film behind Captain America WS, in terms of story, IMO.

Am I the only one that thought Cap got way stronger as his films progressed? He was like a third wheel weakling in 1st Avengers. Especially between Thor and Iron Man -- It felt like he couldn't do anything but try to talk them down. Now he is incredibly fast, strong, and agile. Had he started out that way, I would have given a lot more credit to the earlier Cap appearances. Russo brothers really turned him into a standalone A-lister -- applaud for that.

On the other hand, Winter Soldier seemed to drop several notches in terms of strength and formidability.

Rudd killed it and I"m so glad they didn't spoil the best part with trailers. That was the highlight for me.

Panther was very skilled and confident.

Spider-Man seemed weaker than I expected at some points (yeah, I guess it was supposed to be early in his career). Thought it was really bizarre to have his aunt be younger and good looking and hip and cool. I guess I"m the only one that wasn't that thrilled with the new Spider-Man. And it was odd how he just gave in to Tony without hardly any resistance-- no spider-sense or anything.

Scarlet Witch seemed a lot more powerful than I would expect. No complaints though.

I was hoping to see some Thanos insight, but there wasn't any.

Villains were lacking (I guess the intention was to just to only have good guys fighting each other).

Overall very entertaining, but thin on plot. Or maybe just something seemed lacking about structure coherence. I'd put it behind Cap WS and GOTG and 1st Avengers. It really did feel like an Avengers film and it was a fantastic ensemble comic film doing justice to our cherished comic heroes.. if only FF could reach the same heights. They had SO MUCH potential from the source material.

My 2c and some disjointed thoughts.

Overall; very enjoyable.

The best part was the main battle; now that was a great comic book ensemble battle.

Reminded me a little of the DC injustice video (too bad they couldn't translate that to the big screen).

I thought the storyline felt a little thin... maybe, because there were so many characters to work with.

That puts the film behind Captain America WS, in terms of story, IMO.

Am I the only one that thought Cap got way stronger as his films progressed? He was like a third wheel weakling in 1st Avengers. Especially between Thor and Iron Man -- It felt like he couldn't do anything but try to talk them down. Now he is incredibly fast, strong, and agile. Had he started out that way, I would have given a lot more credit to the earlier Cap appearances. Russo brothers really turned him into a standalone A-lister -- applaud for that.

On the other hand, Winter Soldier seemed to drop several notches in terms of strength and formidability.

Rudd killed it and I"m so glad they didn't spoil the best part with trailers. That was the highlight for me.

Panther was very skilled and confident.

Spider-Man seemed weaker than I expected at some points (yeah, I guess it was supposed to be early in his career). Thought it was really bizarre to have his aunt be younger and good looking and hip and cool. I guess I"m the only one that wasn't that thrilled with the new Spider-Man. And it was odd how he just gave in to Tony without hardly any resistance-- no spider-sense or anything.

Scarlet Witch seemed a lot more powerful than I would expect. No complaints though.

I was hoping to see some Thanos insight, but there wasn't any.

Villains were lacking (I guess the intention was to just to only have good guys fighting each other).

Overall very entertaining, but thin on plot. Or maybe just something seemed lacking about structure coherence. I'd put it behind Cap WS and GOTG and 1st Avengers. It really did feel like an Avengers film and it was a fantastic ensemble comic film doing justice to our cherished comic heroes.. if only FF could reach the same heights. They had SO MUCH potential from the source material.

FF will be coming in phase 4 aka Fantastic Four in 2020!

Yes you might be the only one because Tom Holland nailed it as Spider-man.

Remember he did say in the movie he only had his powers for 6 months, and if anything I thought the movie absolutely show the MCU that Spider-man is a major player that is going to be much stronger than 99% of the people he faces once he matures.

Great reviews everyone.

A couple'a comments:

I thought Zemo's motivation fit in well with the story line and furthered the theme :

revenge for the death of his family, as it was the same motivation Tony Stark had near the end of the story; wanting revenge against the Winter Soldier for killing his parents.

This pattern was important to the overall story - "collateral damage" isn't so incidental when it's someone close to you. I thought it incorporated into the movie's theme fairly well.

Especially with the Panther breaking the chain, so to speak.

And as far as no major deaths / reprecussions:

Rhodey comes out paralyzed. That's not a trivial injury, it would be pretty significant if it happened to me or someone I know. :eek:

And folks are jailed as a result, so when Cap breaks them out I suppose they're all fugitives, now.

The Avengers are fractured - a rift between Cap & Iron Man, Wanda & the Vision are separated which impedes their growing relationship, the Widow betrays Stark; and so on.

Anyways, just an awesome movie, nice to see most enjoyed it, I can't wait to see it again! :D

Zemo & his comrades should have been portrayed as Super Soldiers made by Red Skull from the 40's that were meant to take Cap & Bucky out. Zemo being the one that got away before getting put into suspended animation. Would have been cool to see Red Skull for a few mins in a flashback sequence too.

I found they made it look weak that Zemo tried to kill himself but after thinking it over afterwords, it just may have been his intention to let T'Challa stop him. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a plan in place to break out of the raft with help from someone like the Taskmaster, along with some other masters of evil that were already being held there. I don't think this is the last we've seen of Zemo.

I don't think we're done with Zemo. The next time we see him I believe he will be full-blown masked Zemo. :wishluck:

Perhaps a team-up of Zemo and a returning Red Skull to take on Cap.