• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wonder Woman official movie thread (6/23/17)
6 6

1,526 posts in this topic

I'm amazed at the very little marketing being done for this film. I have not seen any ads for this since before the movie came out. if WB/DC were smart they would push how well received this movie is doing to try and hit that 400m

8 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

I'm amazed at the very little marketing being done for this film. I have not seen any ads for this since before the movie came out. if WB/DC were smart they would push how well received this movie is doing to try and hit that 400m

word of mouth = free advertising.  400MM is in the bag.

20 minutes ago, paperheart said:

word of mouth = free advertising.  400MM is in the bag.

The Stark (no pun intended) difference between the Disney/Marvel machine is amazing. They use all their resources (ABC/ESPN) and promotional (Pizza Hut etc) to get their product in your face.

Edited by jsilverjanet

WONDER WOMAN Poised To Become Third-Biggest WB Release Of All Time

According to THR, Wonder Woman will surpass the domestic box office takings of the final Harry Potter movie (not accounting for inflation) today to become the third-biggest Warner Bros. release of all time in North America.

The studio's top spots are held by Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight ($533.3 million) and The Dark Knight Rises ($448.1 million), so Diana will have a ways to go if she hopes to catch the Caped Crusader.

When Guardians of the Galaxy 2 had a similar Saturday & Sunday combo, it had made 94% and 94.4% (respectively) of the final domestic box office (likely to be $388M).

If you compare the current domestic for Wonder Woman to the 94% Saturday and 94.4% Sunday, the final domestic would calculate to be $403M to $404M.

In the event that WW ends up with more than $404M, then even the final 6% of the domestic will be tracking ahead of GG2, when it only had 6% left to go.

gPz4G8M.jpg

FORBES.COM: 'Wonder Woman' Dips Below $1 Million For The First Time

Two big milestones for Wonder Woman yesterday. First, the good news, as the film passed the $381 million (not adjusted for inflation) domestic total of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part II. That makes it Warner Bros./Time Warner Inc.'s third-biggest domestic grosser ever, behind only The Dark Knight Rises ($448m in 2012) and The Dark Knight ($534m in 2008). It's 18th if adjusted for inflation. With $381.488m in 46 days, it is also the biggest 3D movie in North America not released by Walt Disney or Universal/Comcast Corp. since 20th Century Fox's Avatar back in 2009.

The bad news, relatively speaking, is that the film dipped below $1m in daily grosses for the first time in its run. It earned "just" $885,000 yesterday, which is still just a 25% drop from last Monday. But nonetheless, it stands alongside a number of very big movies that dipped below $1 million in daily grosses right after their respective seventh weekends.  For those keeping score, Spider-Man, The Sixth Sense, Star Wars: The Force Awakens and Jurassic World all took 46 days to drop below $1 million-per-day, while The Avengers took 53 days. DreamWorks Animation's Shrek 2 and Universal's Jurassic Park both dipped on day 55, Frozen did it on day 53, Warner Bros./Time Warner Inc.'s The Dark Knight dipped below on its 41st day.

If not due to the International Box Office contributors (film banning, female-led production), Wonder Woman appears to be in very good company and should be tracking higher. Though small countries that banned the movie (Algeria, Lebanon, Qatar, Tunisia), they do add up when you consider a film like Deadpool (Lebanon: $451,784; Qatar: $709,787; Total: $1.16M).

Russia having critics come out against the film because it is female-led had some impact when comparing the two films (Deadpool - Russia: $26MM; Wonder Woman - Russia: $8MM).

On 7/16/2017 at 6:42 PM, jsilverjanet said:

There is no point to push the film domestically more. The film is getting great word of mouth, low week to week drop rates unseen in 15 years, and off the wall publicity from news establishments. Yesterday was the first day Wonder Woman dropped below 1 mil for the intake for any day at around 850,000. The first day Galaxy 2 did that it was under a 800,000 intake. So at that point Guardians 2 was at 367 mil and to date has added 20 million more to date. So if we were to use that as a reference point and considering WW is holding stronger by only losing 35 to 40 percent each week another 20 million would put WW at 401 million min. 

The question is can she knock off Spidey for the largest domestic total for the debut of a comic character? That is the harder reach at around 404 million.

DEADLINE: ‘Wonder Woman’ To Whip ‘Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2’ As Summer’s Highest-Grossing Film; 2nd Best Of 2017

As we first pointed out Friday night, Warner Bros./DC’s Wonder Woman will fly over Disney/Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 at the domestic box office this coming weekend with more than $387M. This easily will make Wonder Woman the highest-grossing title of the domestic summer B.O. and the second best so far this year after Disney’s Beauty and the Beast ($504M).

Wonder Woman‘s stateside climb has been one of soft weekend-to-weekend declines, which have averaged 37% each weekend during its run. By comparison, GOTG2 logged an average of -42% each weekend in its first six weekends following its opening. Most superhero movies can drop anywhere between 55% to the low 60%-tile in their second go-round, and Wonder Woman only dipped 43%.

A lot of this box office momentum can be attributed to the strong turnout by female audiences who have been waiting for this classic superhero’s big screen debut. In comScore/Screen Engine’s PostTrak audience polls, women outweighed men 55% to 45% when it came to buying tickets to Wonder Woman, with females ages 25 and up (32%) leading the way, followed by men 25+ (29%) and women under 25 (23%). Forty percent bought tickets because they had been waiting for a Wonder Woman movie, while 28% bought tickets because they’re Gadot fans.

I'm just floored Beauty and the Beast being remade made Disney another $504M on top of what it made from the animated version ($219MM back in 1991). Printing Disney money!

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

DEADLINE: ‘Wonder Woman’ To Whip ‘Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2’ As Summer’s Highest-Grossing Film; 2nd Best Of 2017

I'm just floored Beauty and the Beast being remade made Disney another $504M on top of what it made from the animated version ($219MM back in 1991). Printing Disney money!

And it wasn't very good (I took the kids).

Scott Mendelson is running out of article titles, he's been having so much fun writing about this movie daily. Not surprised that the daily results jumped back up. Now that puts the movie at 5.2X production budget,

lol

FORBES.COM Box Office: 'Wonder Woman' Is Playing Like A Leggy 'Batman' Sequel

Well, Wonder Woman has dropped below $1 million per day on Monday but jumped back up to $1.2m yesterday.

To wit, Wonder Woman has now earned $382.679 million in 47 days of release. In raw numbers, that puts it at 28th on the all-time list and 146th on the adjusted-for-inflation list (thanks as always to Box Office Mojo for these charts), right between The Secret Life of Pets and Rain Man. But for the purposes of this discussion, it has now out-grossed, when adjusted for inflation, the likes of Batman Forever and Batman Returns.

That makes the fourth-biggest DC Comics movie ever, concerning tickets sold, behind Superman: The Movie, The Dark Knight Rises, Batman and The Dark Knight.  Yet the inflation-adjusted grosses for Batman Forever ($376 million in 2017/$184m in 1995) and Batman Returns ($346m/$162m) are close enough to Wonder Woman, especially when you remove the 3D/IMAX/PLF advantage, that it stands to reason that the Gal Gadot film is essentially playing like an old-school 1990's blockbuster. That's an accurate statement regarding legs as well, as the picture has earned 3.7x its $103.251m opening weekend over the last 47 days.

cVMtX3I.jpg

Remaining release dates:

- Japan: 25 August 2017

10 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Surprised!!! It's A live action version of the film that almost won best picture the year it came out. You have parents taking their kids to the film they experienced as a child. You have grandparents wanting to take their grandchildren to this wanting that experience they experienced when they took their kids to the animated version. In my case my mom wanted to have that experience with me again. The animated film is something special it's the reason they added a best animated feature to Oscars. You also have to add in some parents won't take kids to comic films because of the violence and especially if it has a PG13 rating. So yeah not surprised

41 minutes ago, reddwarf666222 said:

Surprised!!! It's A live action version of the film that almost won best picture the year it came out. You have parents taking their kids to the film they experienced as a child. You have grandparents wanting to take their grandchildren to this wanting that experience they experienced when they took their kids to the animated version. In my case my mom wanted to have that experience with me again. The animated film is something special it's the reason they added a best animated feature to Oscars. You also have to add in some parents won't take kids to comic films because of the violence and especially if it has a PG13 rating. So yeah not surprised

Yes, Surprised!!!!!!! But only because of how extremely high it went. Not that it was a hit.

On 7/16/2017 at 11:30 AM, Bosco685 said:

Not sure either.  The domestic to foreign persentage is not in line with other comic movies the last few years.  WW has been skewing more domestic than other recent movies.  I have not seen a basically even split in many years.  If the film had tracked the more typical 40/60 we have been seeing the last few years it would be closing in on $850 mil, and we would be debating if it could hit $900 mil instead of possibly getting to $800 mil. I would be curious why this is occuring, but have several ideas.

1. WW is seen as a more American hero and is clearly fighting on the US side in the movie.  I know this was a concern with the first Captian America movie.  It may have hurt the film in some markets.

2. At home this movie is being celebrated as a female centric superhero movie.  At home this has proven to be a big selling point and rightfully so.  I wonder in some more conservative, religious societies if this has hurt the movie.

3. Gal Gadot is the lead. It has been well adversitized that she is both Isreali and that she served in the military (I am well aware service is required there).  I know this caused the film to be banned in some conuntries.  It is possible that this also reduced the movies appeal in other countries.

4. American comic movie fatigue is setting in outside the US?  Long shot because not sure why it would hit with this film and not other lessor movies from last year.

5. Marvel perference in world market? Although this has not traked with other DC movies.

Jusr a few ideas, not sure if there is much merit in them.