• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wonder Woman official movie thread (6/23/17)
6 6

1,526 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, Turtle said:

I don't really dig her theme music.  I didn't know it was specific for her until I saw her solo movie and heard it again, but I first heard it during the Doomsday battle in BvS.  It sounds a little too punk rock to me.  I think that feel would be more befitting of Batman or Cyborg.  For Wonder Woman, a more regal, graceful fanfare would be more appropriate (I think). 

But the way she moved in that Doomsday battle...it made me believe that she'd give Superman a run for his money.  I was impressed.  I like that she has an abundance of natural speed and strength, but still moves like a warrior in battle.  People like Superman or Wolverine sometimes make some silly moves and take some unnecessary hits because they know they'll shrug it off.  With Wonder Woman, you really get the sense that she was raised as a warrior. 

I really like the music, it reminds me of the battle music from the movie 300. The instrument in her theme song is an electric cello and I love how it sounds but I understand that it isn't for everyone. It does get more "regal" at a later stage in the song in my opinion.

I agree, I absolutely loved the way she moved and they way she fought. She took off Doomsday's arm with a swing of her sword. Definitely raised and trained as a warrior. (thumbsu 

Edited by Artboy99

1 hour ago, Artboy99 said:

I really like the music, it reminds me of the battle music from the movie 300. The instrument in her theme song is an electric cello and I love how it sounds but I understand that it isn't for everyone. It does get more "regal" at a later stage in the song in my opinion.

I agree, I absolutely loved the way she moved and they way she fought. She took off Doomsday's arm with a swing of her sword. Definitely raised and trained as a warrior. (thumbsu 

I agree on both points - really dig the music!

5 hours ago, Turtle said:

I don't really dig her theme music.  I didn't know it was specific for her until I saw her solo movie and heard it again, but I first heard it during the Doomsday battle in BvS.  It sounds a little too punk rock to me.  I think that feel would be more befitting of Batman or Cyborg.  For Wonder Woman, a more regal, graceful fanfare would be more appropriate (I think). 

I hear you on the music. In my own review of the film I said I was nitpicking to find something wrong with the film, but the music was what I called out specifically her theme song. 

The reason I didn't like the theme song for her was because I thought the theme sounded too much like the XMen theme music from the films when they arrive on scene. 

As far as Right theme well the film probably  could have used a female composer like Lindsey Stirling.

7 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

I would take a step further knowing the Oscar voting community. They like to make political statements any chance they can make. Why do you think certain films have won best picture against more deserving films?

Here are the reasons this film could win Best Picture/Best Director.

1. This film was equally received well by both male and female critics. The audience is a 50/50 split of both genders.

a. That means the number of votes this film receives can be high from voters

2. A political statement to appease womens

Deadline forecast for this weekend.

‘Dunkirk’ Currently Pushing ‘Emoji Movie’ Out Of Top Spot With $28M+

Warner Bros.’ fantastic summer will see Wonder Woman cross the $400M threshold in a little over a week. She remains the Burbank, CA studio’s third highest domestic release of all-time behind The Dark Knight ($534.9M) and The Dark Knight Rises ($448.1M).

10) Wonder Woman

- Theaters: 1,651 (down -320)

- Friday Estimate: $1.05M (-17%)

- 3-day cume: $3.8M (-17%)

- Week 9 Domestic Weekend-End Estimate: $395.7M

Friday ended up bringing another $985K, taking Wonder Woman $5.32MM above Guardians 2's domestic total (which is still being shown across 231 theaters, adding $85K to its domestic total).

rRcv5VR.jpg

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Friday ended up bringing another $985K, taking Wonder Woman $5.32MM above Guardians 2's domestic total (which is still being shown across 231 theaters, adding $85K to its domestic total).

rRcv5VR.jpg

It's the Showdown between Wonder Woman Vs. Spider-Man (2002) that you should focus on for best Superhero Debut. Wonder Woman is slowly catching up to that film now making more on daily basis. Could win

1 hour ago, reddwarf666222 said:

It's the Showdown between Wonder Woman Vs. Spider-Man (2002) that you should focus on for best Superhero Debut. Wonder Woman is slowly catching up to that film now making more on daily basis. Could win

I know this is where Forbes.com and others have focused. But it is not an apples-to-apples comparison. Spider-Man (2002) will still remain unique when you factor in 2017 inflated USD.

- Spider-Man (2002 USD): $403,706,375

- Spider-Man (2017 USD): $549,693,691

That's when you see Box Office Mojo charts displaying those adjusted charts, so many old movies bounce to the top - easily. That site just further modifies the numbers by adding in assumptions like historic USD with 3-D and IMAX factored in. Which is why that site shows Spider-Man (2002) adjusted domestic as $617,719,400 due to its high-end theater assumptions.

8fAeoOZ.jpg

Edited by Bosco685

15 hours ago, reddwarf666222 said:

So they sampled Robert Plant's Immigrant Song and made the song worse for her theme

No. The person even doing the comparison purposely pointed out they didn't sample 'The Immigrant Song' (3:54 to 4:12). It's the progression of the notes that he was pointing out are at the same level. He provides some examples of songs that clearly sampled from other songs. He also points out the real similarity is the 'tension and release' emotions the two songs bring out, which I find interesting.

Edited by Bosco685

Much as I love Scott Mendelson, a Best Picture nom for Wonder Woman is a reach.

His "aspirational" argument boils down to: it was a better (and more popular) film than anyone expected.

That's great, but it's not enough for "Best Picture" consideration.

I loved it, and I'm sure it will end in my "5 favorite of the year" list, but for me the last 20 minutes (Ares showdown) were so tonally dissonant and a let-down from the 2 hours before that it prevents it from being a truly great film.

For me, Wonder Woman isn't comparable to the masterpiece that was The Dark Knight -- or even the Dark Knight Rises. Even The Winter Soldier was tighter overall -- and had more immediate social relevance, as it was a direct critique of the Patriot Act.

Wonder Woman was amazing -- and gives hope to the rest of the DCEU, but we geeks should slow our roll a bit.

Also, I agree with Mendelson that Get Out is the best film of the year so far.

I'm still processing Dunkirk, which I saw yesterday -- it was so different from what I was expecting that it may take me another week and/or viewing to decide how I feel about it. My gut reaction was that it's weakest film since Batman Begins.

That's less a criticism than it sounds, and more a reflection of how masterful I thought The Prestige, Dark Knight, Inception, Dark Knight Rises, and Interstellar were.

HOLY! And this is without the final International Box Office updates later today.

:whatthe:

FORBES.COM: 'Wonder Woman' Just Had Its Tiniest Weekend Drop Yet

The film earned another $3.54 million (-23%) in its ninth domestic weekend, bringing its total to $395.444m. That’s a bigger ninth weekend and smaller drop than Sam Raimi’s Spider-Man, although that 2002 blockbuster’s 59-day total ($395.8m) is slightly higher. But, barring a fluke, this is the week that it catches up to Spider-Man for good and crosses $400m domestic. In terms of worldwide grosses, it now sits with at least $785m worldwide, putting it above Deadpool ($783m in 2D, sans China and with an R-rating) and Spider-Man 2 ($784m back in 2004). The only overseas question is how well it performs in Japan in about a month from now. So it’ll either be just over $800m total or way over $800m total.

sbyQXEd.jpg

Remaining release dates:

- Japan: 25 August 2017

-----------------------------------

Again, just guesstimating Japan ends up on the middle tier, this could be $12MM-13MM.

Japanese Box Office (superhero origin movies):

- Ant-Man: $9.7M

- Deadpool: $18.9M

- Doctor Strange: $16.4M

- Guardians: $9.5M

- Man of Steel: $9M

- Suicide Squad: $15.6M

-----------------------------------

Edited by Bosco685

I was wondering how much more revenue Wonder Woman could still earn.  

I made a quick chart of most of the movies still ahead in 1st run revenue (as of Friday 7/28 - day 57) to see how much more those movies earned after that point.

After flipping the numbers around a few times, this chart seems to have the bigger earners at the top.

Day 57    To-Go
$2,515    $77,591   26  Frozen
$1,060    $42,563   10  Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace*
$985           ?           27  Wonder Woman
$903      $10,059    23   Spider-Man
$839      $20,247    14   Shrek 2
$829      $13,389    17   Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
$824      $18,556    22   The Hunger Games
$631       $9,037     16   The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
$618      $15,784    19   Toy Story 3
$609       $8,659     13   The Dark Knight Rises
$482       $7,738     12   Avengers: Age of Ultron
$416       $4,566     20   Iron Man 3
$413           ?           28   Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
$216       $3,220     21   Captain America: Civil War
$178       $4,812     25   Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

(I didn't look at movies ranked 1 - 9 in revenue and 4 movies only earned $400M by including rereleases*.)

The two movies that stand out to me are

1) Frozen because it was only at $323M by day 57 (no other film that made $400M was under $388M on day 57)

2) Spider-Man because it looks like they pulled it from theaters after it made its $400M (it dropped from 1502 theaters to 574 the weekend after it got to $400M)

From looking at its competitors Wonder Woman looks like it has a reasonable shot at $410 and a top 20 slot. (currently IM3 at $409)
(4 of the 6 comparisons that earned over $800,000 on day 57, earned over $18M after that day and $393M + 18M = $411M)

Just some thoughts.  :)

11 hours ago, icouldbe said:

I was wondering how much more revenue Wonder Woman could still earn.  

I made a quick chart of most of the movies still ahead in 1st run revenue (as of Friday 7/28 - day 57) to see how much more those movies earned after that point.

After flipping the numbers around a few times, this chart seems to have the bigger earners at the top.

Day 57    To-Go
$2,515    $77,591   26  Frozen
$1,060    $42,563   10  Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace*
$985           ?           27  Wonder Woman
$903      $10,059    23   Spider-Man
$839      $20,247    14   Shrek 2
$829      $13,389    17   Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
$824      $18,556    22   The Hunger Games
$631       $9,037     16   The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
$618      $15,784    19   Toy Story 3
$609       $8,659     13   The Dark Knight Rises
$482       $7,738     12   Avengers: Age of Ultron
$416       $4,566     20   Iron Man 3
$413           ?           28   Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
$216       $3,220     21   Captain America: Civil War
$178       $4,812     25   Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

(I didn't look at movies ranked 1 - 9 in revenue and 4 movies only earned $400M by including rereleases*.)

The two movies that stand out to me are

1) Frozen because it was only at $323M by day 57 (no other film that made $400M was under $388M on day 57)

2) Spider-Man because it looks like they pulled it from theaters after it made its $400M (it dropped from 1502 theaters to 574 the weekend after it got to $400M)

From looking at its competitors Wonder Woman looks like it has a reasonable shot at $410 and a top 20 slot. (currently IM3 at $409)
(4 of the 6 comparisons that earned over $800,000 on day 57, earned over $18M after that day and $393M + 18M = $411M)

Just some thoughts.  :)

Your chart is not making any sense here. Spider-Man was not pulled they just do not have the info for those days. I think right now it is hard to say, but is going to be close fight against Spidey for the number 1 superhero debut of all time for unadjusted. To be honest that is all the average person cares about they don't care about adjusted prices.

I would put Wonder Woman around 404 to 405 million, but has the potential to do around 410 million especially if Warner does the major Oscar push for a short rerelease around December time frame. The closest film right now we can compare the film to as to what the film is pulling in daily is Beauty and the Beast. On a weekday daily basis WW is outperforming BB at this point, but a weekend basis BB is outperforming WW. Yet those numbers equal out for a weekly basis. BB did another 10 million before Disney withdrew the film at a 119 days. 

14 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Much as I love Scott Mendelson, a Best Picture nom for Wonder Woman is a reach.

His "aspirational" argument boils down to: it was a better (and more popular) film than anyone expected.

That's great, but it's not enough for "Best Picture" consideration.

I loved it, and I'm sure it will end in my "5 favorite of the year" list, but for me the last 20 minutes (Ares showdown) were so tonally dissonant and a let-down from the 2 hours before that it prevents it from being a truly great film.

For me, Wonder Woman isn't comparable to the masterpiece that was The Dark Knight -- or even the Dark Knight Rises. Even The Winter Soldier was tighter overall -- and had more immediate social relevance, as it was a direct critique of the Patriot Act.

Wonder Woman was amazing -- and gives hope to the rest of the DCEU, but we geeks should slow our roll a bit.

Also, I agree with Mendelson that Get Out is the best film of the year so far.

I'm still processing Dunkirk, which I saw yesterday -- it was so different from what I was expecting that it may take me another week and/or viewing to decide how I feel about it. My gut reaction was that it's weakest film since Batman Begins.

That's less a criticism than it sounds, and more a reflection of how masterful I thought The Prestige, Dark Knight, Inception, Dark Knight Rises, and Interstellar were.

The Oscars by now are about making PC political statements when they can. Wonder Woman is the perfect film to do that with for the Academy.

4 hours ago, reddwarf666222 said:

Your chart is not making any sense here. Spider-Man was not pulled they just do not have the info for those days. I think right now it is hard to say, but is going to be close fight against Spidey for the number 1 superhero debut of all time for unadjusted. To be honest that is all the average person cares about they don't care about adjusted prices.

I would put Wonder Woman around 404 to 405 million, but has the potential to do around 410 million especially if Warner does the major Oscar push for a short rerelease around December time frame. The closest film right now we can compare the film to as to what the film is pulling in daily is Beauty and the Beast. On a weekday daily basis WW is outperforming BB at this point, but a weekend basis BB is outperforming WW. Yet those numbers equal out for a weekly basis. BB did another 10 million before Disney withdrew the film at a 119 days. 

I was wondering how much more revenue Wonder Woman could still earn. (2nd try)

Here is one more column -  is this any better?  

(I added #9 so the list includes all films ending (U.S.) between $400M and $499M as listed on boxofficemojo)

Total         Day 57     To-Go
$323M        $2,515    $77,591    26  Frozen
$388M        $1,060    $42,563    10  Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace*
$393M         $985           ?          27  Wonder Woman
$394M         $903      $10,059    23   Spider-Man
$420M         $839      $20,247    14   Shrek 2
$410M         $829      $13,389    17   Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
$389M         $824      $18,556    22   The Hunger Games
$416M         $631       $9,037     16   The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
$399M         $618      $15,784    19   Toy Story 3
$439M         $609       $8,659     13   The Dark Knight Rises
$451M         $482       $7,738     12   Avengers: Age of Ultron
$404M         $416       $4,566     20   Iron Man 3
$382M         $413           ?         28   Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2  
$476M         $372     $10,510      9   Finding Dory*
$405M         $216       $3,220     21   Captain America: Civil War  
$397M         $178       $4,812     25   Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

(column 1 is total BO as of day 57)

(column 3 is total BO after day 57)

(columns 2 and 3 add 000's)

(* = #10 made $431M in its first run and #9 was rereleased (+1700 theaters) during its 1st run for labor day 2016)

(not included are #11, 15, 18, and 24 which all made under $360M on their 1st runs)

I think the interesting comparison is #22 Hunger Games which was also an unknown movie property.  That film ended at $408M and Wonder Woman is slightly ahead of that pace.