• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

COMICLINK fall featured auction

144 posts in this topic

One that surprised me a bit was the Lee/Williams Fantastic Four Wizard 55 cover ($9.7K). I really like that piece and the work on that run overall, but I didn't think there was that much love out there for Lee's FF pieces.

I cant fully remember, but didn't Jim Lee Fantastic Four #3 sold for 12K in Clink not long ago?

Great recap, JJJ. Every non Heritage auction needs a post like yours.

I'm impressed by the IF #15 result, and am happy to see the seller get his money back on the piece. I wasn't sure that he would. I was also impressed by the FF #244 and the Frazetta watercolor results. And I was stunned to see the Kane Superman cover hit its reserve of 8k. There are plenty of Kane Supe covers to be had for much less.

Otherwise, I think a lot of stuff went under the radar. Looking back now, I wish I had a bid on the ASM 221 or the Heck Avengers 10 page. The Quesada IM covers sold too cheaply, as well.

Re: quesada IM

Isn't this the issue of consigning 3 or 4 pieces of the same artist/run/character into a single auction. You theoretically decrease perception of rarity and could saturate your buyer pool.

Re: quesada IM

Isn't this the issue of consigning 3 or 4 pieces of the same artist/run/character into a single auction. You theoretically decrease perception of rarity and could saturate your buyer pool.

Maybe, but I doubt it. I don't think there were enough examples to flood the auction. Are there really so few collectors willing to pick up a Quesada IM cover for 1-2k?

And how about that Cerebus #81 cover? 7k was a pretty strong result for that lot.

Cerebus art in general has continued to slowly increase despite it ending 10+ years ago - shows the appreciation people for such detailed artwork. I've personally grown to appreciate Gerhard's art more and more over the years - would have loved to have added this one to the collection, but went over my budget this time around.

And how about that Cerebus #81 cover? 7k was a pretty strong result for that lot.

Cerebus art in general has continued to slowly increase despite it ending 10+ years ago - shows the appreciation people for such detailed artwork. I've personally grown to appreciate Gerhard's art more and more over the years - would have loved to have added this one to the collection, but went over my budget this time around.

Continuing to have a voracious collector who holds minimum 10% (the general number thrown around by those who track this sort of thing, but I would bet it's closer to 25%, of all originals not owned by Sim certainly helps to maintain prices, and cause a bit of an increase, especially given Sim not selling any more.

One that surprised me a bit was the Lee/Williams Fantastic Four Wizard 55 cover ($9.7K). I really like that piece and the work on that run overall, but I didn't think there was that much love out there for Lee's FF pieces.

I cant fully remember, but didn't Jim Lee Fantastic Four #3 sold for 12K in Clink not long ago?

Thanks. I must have missed that one.

I'm not really interested in Cerebus art, but that was a damn nice example, IMO.

Re Quesada Iron Man

These pieces have gone up for sale several times. I considered but ultimately passed. I'm guessing they'll show up for sale again at triple what they sold on CL.

The Cerebus cover is cool, but not the kind that would attract me. As much as I loved the Marvel spoof characters in the series, I don't think I'd want a Cerebus cover with that as the dominant image. Maybe too hard to explain. A personal thing.

I thought the little Jeff Jones self portrait watercolor piece was a great buy. Wish I'd thrown in a bid on it.

Also I think the first time I've seen a Tim Sale (Catwoman) splash outsell a Frank Miller (Sin City) splash. Granted, I'm guessing if the Miller had been of a woman, it might have gone the other way. And the FM Daredevil trumped em both, naturally.

Well it's also the period and material that was perhaps the most popular the character /title ever got. In other words, it's a cover from a very memorable part of the title. I like all eras of cerebus and each for different reasons but that's as close to a wide appeal time period as there was. All that said I agree it was a wrong result. I would have pegged it at 4500 based on the very sophisticated analysis pulled out of my butt

I got a great piece for a surprisingly low winning bid. I guess all the big money was focused on the covers and splash pages, opening a window for me to grab this page.

Tales of the Teen Titans #45 page 18 by George Perez and Mike DeCarlo - $280

My goal was to pick up a piece for under $500 and got caught up in the moment and bid two pieces over $600 before bailing. This win makes letting the other pieces go easier on the conscience.

Congrats to all the winners!

James

I got a great piece for a surprisingly low winning bid. I guess all the big money was focused on the covers and splash pages, opening a window for me to grab this page.

Tales of the Teen Titans #45 page 18 by George Perez and Mike DeCarlo - $280

My goal was to pick up a piece for under $500 and got caught up in the moment and bid two pieces over $600 before bailing. This win makes letting the other pieces go easier on the conscience.

Congrats to all the winners!

James

I was bottom feeding myself and now have a Bruce Timm page of Harley and Ivy for a shade over $200

Re: the price and general appeal, I get that. But I've never bought art based on what Is most popular or by what other people like. :)

Yeah, don't collect to impress others . . . collect to please yourself (thumbs u

Collecting to impress others is for insecure types . . .

I was surprised to see the Heck Iron Man piece go for what it did. I have often been surprised the way many collectors give little notice to pieces that sum up a character or a title in one page. To me, if a piece sums up a character with images and text in such a way that the page feels self-contained, it is more desirable. Especially if it does so in way that even somebody with only a casual knowledge (or no knowledge) of the character could look at that one page and "get it." Such pieces often go much lower than I expect, while other pieces go for much more than I'd expect because they meet some metric equation based on artist(s), page or panel size, series title, etc even when the images are not so good and what's happening on the page is confusing or an incomplete moment. So I expected this one to go low enough that I could get it cheap. But Clink did a good job pointing out that it was a "thematic" piece and it did not go unnoticed.

The TOS with iron man happy and pepper? I thought that went cheap, it'll probably show up on a dealer site.

I was the underbidder. Was outbid with 5 seconds left and couldn't bid again in time.

The TOS with iron man happy and pepper? I thought that went cheap, it'll probably show up on a dealer site.

I was the underbidder. Was outbid with 5 seconds left and couldn't bid again in time.

That's lame, that's the problem with they're auction site.....you missed out on a great piece, the seller and clink missed out on a higher sale.

Really great page, by iron man's co-creator, and creator of happy and pepper and tony stark as well as being very early with a nice close up and good page arrangement.....I really think it should have gone higher......I know a lot of collectors aren't nostalgic for Don Heck, but at some point something's gotta give....that's right at the beginning of his peak and a historic period for marvel!

That's lame, that's the problem with they're auction site.....you missed out on a great piece, the seller and clink missed out on a higher sale.

Really great page, by iron man's co-creator, and creator of happy and pepper and tony stark as well as being very early with a nice close up and good page arrangement.....I really think it should have gone higher......I know a lot of collectors aren't nostalgic for Don Heck, but at some point something's gotta give....that's right at the beginning of his peak and a historic period for marvel!

Agreed I went after two heck pages but was sadly out bid. The Captain Marvel page that was in the auction I thought really helped show his style.