• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

COMICLINK fall featured auction

144 posts in this topic

The Adams Green Lantern is quite nice :cloud9:

Sold a year and a half ago (May 2013) on Heritage for $13K:

http://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/neal-adams-and-bernie-wrightson-green-lantern-84-peril-in-plastic-page-7-original-art-dc-1971-/a/7076-92085.s

ouch, over a $3k loss (maybe $4k with fees). :o

Great last panel...classic Adams. Maybe collectors don't associate Wrightson with Adams GL which may explain decline (shrug) . Personally, I'd probably take Wrightson inks over anyone, including Adams himself.

Personally, I would love to own it. I thought it was a classic image the really capture why Adams was such an amazing artist for the Green Lantern.

The Mike Grell Warlord prelim splash from issue 4 looks like a steal at $175. Labeled as a prelim, but the pencils were fairly tight. It wasn't on my radar initially, but now regret not bidding doh!

life is not about regrets.

And the Golden rule of OA is, if you miss out on something, something else will come along soon enough that will take your money.

Malvin

Did Clink just start this 3% refund policy on payment by check on this auction? I won a page in the may auction and paid by check but didn't receive any refund. I can't remember if they were charging the final bid + 3% if you used a credit card in the last auction and switched it this time to a rebate. Can anyone clue me in?

---I just re-read their checkout terms and it looks like they expect you to add 3% yourself for a credit card payment and if you pay by check, you just pay your final bid + shipping. I think that's how it goes. My birthday is in two weeks and my mind is turning to mush. lol

Did Clink just start this 3% refund policy on payment by check on this auction? I won a page in the may auction and paid by check but didn't receive any refund. I can't remember if they were charging the final bid + 3% if you used a credit card in the last auction and switched it this time to a rebate. Can anyone clue me in?

You pay 3% more if you pay by cc. The discount for paying by check means you pay the final bid.

You pay 3% more if you pay by cc. The discount for paying by check means you pay the final bid.

I got a Buscema, not maybe another!

I was underbidder on one as well!

which one?

I was underbidder on one of the KANG pages, and also the Thor page with Warriors Three I think.

Oh, you mean which one did I win? Avengers 268 page 7. I have no idea the market but I wanted the page and it is a good time now for that for me!

Personally I think you can never go wrong with the Buscemi/Palmer combination on those Avengers. Big congrats !

Thanks. I checked comps AFTER buying and am fine with it. Those were good Kang pages, each with a great close-up panel.

I was sniped on one other page. Didn't have enough time to bid again but I would have bid more. Comiclink would be great if they had a live auction like Heritage.

Agreed... they need that "going going... wait... going once, going twice, wait again..." system.

Also, because the art is sequential by artist, and only about 15 second breaks between auctions, if you like a run by a certain artist, you need to figure out how to quickly bid and multi-task across rapid fire closing auctions.

They don't need live bidding. Just bid time extensions. If a bid comes arrives in the last X minutes then add Y minutes to the bidding,.Let it go on until X minutes pass on the last bid.

It would cost a lot less to add that to their system than to implement real live bidding with auctioneer and so on.

Brilliant solution, 'tho of course snipe bidders would be naysayers, I think it's a totally fair scenario.

The Mike Grell Warlord prelim splash from issue 4 looks like a steal at $175. Labeled as a prelim, but the pencils were fairly tight. It wasn't on my radar initially, but now regret not bidding doh!

life is not about regrets.

And the Golden rule of OA is, if you miss out on something, something else will come along soon enough that will take your money.

Malvin

So true!

I was telling a fellow collector... we always need to come to terms with the fact that we can't own everything we want... so pick your battles, don't fall in love, and have your limits... and as you'd said, there's always another opportunity to buy something you like equally if not better around the corner or on the horizon...

Great last panel...classic Adams. Maybe collectors don't associate Wrightson with Adams GL which may explain decline (shrug) . Personally, I'd probably take Wrightson inks over anyone, including Adams himself.

I liken buying OA at auction to buying a new car - in most cases, it's immediately worth 15-20% less the moment you drive it off the lot (figuratively speaking) in most cases. Why? Because the high bidder (you) has just left the equation, the piece is no longer fresh to market, you're going to have to take at least a 10% hit if you resell through an auction house, there's no guarantee the underbidder will still be at his level (especially knowing that the guy who topped him is out of the running), etc. If you win an auction, you were the guy who was willing to repel all challengers by putting the highest bid out there - they don't call it the "winner's curse" for nothing.

BTW, net of fees, that IF #15 cover returned 3.9% over two years (1.9% annualized). That's not a slam against the consignor, who I'm sure enjoyed the piece a lot while he owned it. But, it does highlight what I said above - even in a strong market like we've had over the past couple of years, it's going to take you some time just to recoup the initial hit you'll take from commissions and the other factors mentioned above when you resell. 2c

Very true - I'm sure It won't be long before I fall in love again.

They just need to run it like ESPN runs their auction drafts. If there is a bid in the final 10 seconds, the auction gets extended another 10 seconds. Simple fix, and also doesn't dramatically affect the length of the auction in any way.

It was an interesting auction with some curious results:

-Cockrum IF 15 cover = 55K (sold on HA for 47.8K in Nov 2012)

-Quesada Wizard 36 cvr = 4.7K (sold on HA for 3.7K in Nov 2013)

-Trimpe Hulk Ann 3 cvr = 17K

-Frazetta bathing girl = 61.2K

-Bagley ASM splash = 451

-Balent Catwoman 59 splash = 889

-Cockrum Legion 275 cover = 6.5K

-Byrne FF 242p22 = 12.25K

-Ditko ASM 30p7 = 39K

-Finch Avengers 503 DPS = 3.2K

-Gulacy MOFU 46p15 = 2.1K

-Heck Avengers 10p8 = 5.7K

-Hughes Tomb Raider = 1.1K

-Infantino Nova 21 cvr = 5.5K

-Kane Conan 132p1 splash = 1.5K

-Kane HOM 180p1 splash = 2.7K

-Kane Superman Special #1 cover (half-faded markers) = 8K!!!!!

-Lim Marvel Tales 280 cvr = 4.8K

-Ordway All Star Squadron 60 cvr = 6.3K

-Perez NTT 7 cvr = 14K

-Perez Spec Spidey 10 cvr = 6.8K (Spidey & White Tiger are stats)

-Wiacek ASM 221 cvr = 11.3K!!!

I dont know about time extensions on the auctions. I sort of feel that you just put your max bid out there and if you win great, if not then someone wanted it more. To say I would have bid more if the time hadn't run out...well, why didn't you bid more the first time?

Kane Superman Special #1 cover (half-faded markers) = 8K!!!!!

I'd really like to know who bought this one. Didn't want to say anything while the auction was going on, but there was A LOT of chatter behind the scenes with people in utter disbelief that someone would actually trip the reserve on this one. :gossip:

I dont know about time extensions on the auctions. I sort of feel that you just put your max bid out there and if you win great, if not then someone wanted it more. To say I would have bid more if the time hadn't run out...well, why didn't you bid more the first time?

Because when you're in a bidding war, adrenalin has a funny way of making you bid beyond your 'maximum' bid. Its happened to me several times with Heritage's format. But its never happened to me with Clinks format.

That's why.

Great recap, JJJ. Every non Heritage auction needs a post like yours.

I'm impressed by the IF #15 result, and am happy to see the seller get his money back on the piece. I wasn't sure that he would. I was also impressed by the FF #244 and the Frazetta watercolor results. And I was stunned to see the Kane Superman cover hit its reserve of 8k. There are plenty of Kane Supe covers to be had for much less.

Otherwise, I think a lot of stuff went under the radar. Looking back now, I wish I had a bid on the ASM 221 or the Heck Avengers 10 page. The Quesada IM covers sold too cheaply, as well.

That Bagley ASM splash was about as unattractive as you can get for having Spidey in costume, IMO. I'd love to get a Bagley ASM half or full splash at some point, but I couldn't bring myself to go after this one, even at that price.

One that surprised me a bit was the Lee/Williams Fantastic Four Wizard 55 cover ($9.7K). I really like that piece and the work on that run overall, but I didn't think there was that much love out there for Lee's FF pieces.

I was sniped on one other page. Didn't have enough time to bid again but I would have bid more. Comiclink would be great if they had a live auction like Heritage.

Agreed... they need that "going going... wait... going once, going twice, wait again..." system.

Also, because the art is sequential by artist, and only about 15 second breaks between auctions, if you like a run by a certain artist, you need to figure out how to quickly bid and multi-task across rapid fire closing auctions.

They don't need live bidding. Just bid time extensions. If a bid comes arrives in the last X minutes then add Y minutes to the bidding,.Let it go on until X minutes pass on the last bid.

It would cost a lot less to add that to their system than to implement real live bidding with auctioneer and so on.

Brilliant solution, 'tho of course snipe bidders would be naysayers, I think it's a totally fair scenario.

Thanks, but it's not my idea. It's used on other sites though I can't remember which at the moment.