• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spider-Gwen - Jason Latour and Robbie Rodriguez

2,566 posts in this topic

Midtown has the hughes variant for $212 online (limit one per customer)

http://www.midtowncomics.com/store/dp.asp?PRID=Spider-Gwen+%231+Cover+H+In_1420044

Rich Henn had this to say about the phantom variant

Just a friendly FYI-----everyone who is getting a Phantom variant of Spider-Gwen #1 ---the Phantom variant for issue #2 is going to book end issue #1 in the sense that issue #1 is the ASM 300 homage----issue #2 Phantom is an homage to ASM 301.

There's an Anastasia's Collectibles Emerald City Spider Gwen Exclusive pictured below. SS op can be found here: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8397928

CVQHup0m.jpg

I need to edit what I said there----I mistook the Phantom Variant of SG #2 to be that ASM 301 homage----it's actually SILK #2 (out tomorrow, Wed. 3/18) that has the Phantom variant which backs up SG #1.

Spider Gwen #1 254,074

That would put the Hughes variant at about 2500 copies.

That's a rather copious amount.

-J.

That is 100% wrong. I am sure you are the nicest guy in the world, but you keep giving misinformation. I gave you plenty of links and information that was correct and you just refused to read it or undertand it. I guess everyone can go back and read it if they want to. The stated print run includes the shop variants that were ordered, blanks and other various junk. None of these qualify for the 1:100 variants and would leave the actual number at somewhere less than half of the amount you stated.

I am sorry, but you are wrong.

Recalledcomics.com is a wonderful resource that explains how to ballpark the print runs on variants. The information that you linked to does not state what you purport or believe it to state.

And yes it is based on the print run of the main cover as reported by diamond.

And keep in mind that diamond is not reporting international sales figures, which would obviously bump the numbers even higher potentially.

2500 is a fair estimate for the Hughes variant. Stop trying to make people think it's rarer than it is. 2500 copies is not "rare". It's perhaps "limited", but it is by no means "rare".

-J.

I guess it is better to remain ignorant. Good luck with your future endeavors.

Snappy retort. :tonofbricks:

Speaking of "ignorant".... aren't you the same boardie who originally said that the Hughes variant has only 500 copies? That this book, with an over quarter of a million main print run (that we have known about for some time), somehow had a 1:100 variant with an only 500 print run? So I see you've now revised up to 1250, give or take. You're still wrong, but hey, at least you're making progress. (thumbs u

Someone asked a couple of months back what the print run on the Land variant for EoSV #2 was. I ballparked it at 2000+ based on the 50,000 or so print run being reported by diamond at the time, and the fact that it is a 1:25 variant.....

http://www.recalledcomics.com/EdgeOfSpider-Verse2-Variant.php

The above link, which got added earlier this month to the site, supports my original estimate on that one as well. The Hughes would be about 2500 based on comparable math. (And yes, some smaller shops will have ordered less than 100 and not have gotten the variant, but for every one of those, it is a safe assumption that a medium to large shop will have ordered a few hundred copies of the main cover and received more than one copy of the variant to offset such. Factor in international sales, and, yes, 2500 is a fair and reasonable ballpark.)

I wish you luck on your future endeavours as well. :gossip: *Which I'm sure involves selling a stack of SG #1 Hughes variants. ;)

-J.

I said it could have a range of 500-1250 and still do. Did you read the post after? Are you just going to ignore it? EOSV 2 has nothing to do with Spider-Gwen 1. You could be 100% correct on the Land variant. The Spider-Gwen numbers are skewed because of the shop variants and because it is a 1:100 instead of a 1:25. I am presenting you facts that tell you how Diamond compiles those figure you read every month. You are ignoring them and just re-iterating your lines. Do you think that almost 500k regular issues of Orphan Black were shipped last month?

I said it could have a range of 500-1250 and still do. Did you read the post after? Are you just going to ignore it? EOSV 2 has nothing to do with Spider-Gwen 1. You could be 100% correct on the Land variant. The Spider-Gwen numbers are skewed because of the shop variants and because it is a 1:100 instead of a 1:25. I am presenting you facts that tell you how Diamond compiles those figure you read every month. You are ignoring them and just re-iterating your lines. Do you think that almost 500k regular issues of Orphan Black were shipped last month?

Yes I read it. And it still does not say what you believe it does.

Not only that, but SG #1 wasn't loot crated.

The print runs on ALL variants can be calculated the same way whether it's a 1:10, 1:25, 1:100 or 1:1000. EoSV #2 had a variant as well, and that fact did not and does not alter how the print run of the Land variant is guesstimated. Loot crate may skew the numbers on some issues, but such is not applicable here. The Hughes had a 2500 run, give or take.

-J.

Recalledcomics.com is a wonderful resource that explains how to ballpark the print runs on variants. The Hughes would be about 2500 based on comparable math. (And yes, some smaller shops will have ordered less than 100 and not have gotten the variant, but for every one of those, it is a safe assumption that a medium to large shop will have ordered a few hundred copies of the main cover and received more than one copy of the variant to offset such. Factor in international sales, and, yes, 2500 is a fair and reasonable ballpark.)

No, there's no offsetting. Let's look at some hypothetical math/orders:

Store A: 50

Store B: 160

Store C: 40

Store D: 300

Store E: 1000

Store F: 250

Store G: 70

Store H: 140

Store I: 20

That should capture a reasonable profile of store sizes. Total copies: 2030. Total 1:100 covers based on orders: 17.

You can see how the 1:100 ratio disconnects due to the smaller orders, and, no, the larger orders are not getting 3 extra copies to offset that.

Recalledcomics.com is a wonderful resource that explains how to ballpark the print runs on variants. The Hughes would be about 2500 based on comparable math. (And yes, some smaller shops will have ordered less than 100 and not have gotten the variant, but for every one of those, it is a safe assumption that a medium to large shop will have ordered a few hundred copies of the main cover and received more than one copy of the variant to offset such. Factor in international sales, and, yes, 2500 is a fair and reasonable ballpark.)

That should capture a reasonable profile of store sizes. Total copies: 2030. Total 1:100 covers based on orders: 17.

You can see how the 1:100 ratio disconnects due to the smaller orders, and, no, the larger orders are not getting 3 extra copies to offset that.

Right. In your plausible scenario, the count would only be off by 3. That's why I stated that there are *approximately* 2500 copies of the variant, after also factoring in international orders, there are perhaps more. Also, this book was very clearly over ordered so there is a very reasonable chance that many smaller stores ordered more than their usual numbers because of the hype. (thumbs u

-J.

In more Spider-Gwen related news:

"Spider-Gwen" was a near-instant hit when the character was first previewed last year, and is now the star of a recently launched ongoing series from Jason Latour and Robbi Rodriguez. Now, Marvel aims to branch that success into a variant cover theme month for June, with variants including "Gwendusa" ("Inhumans: Attilan Rising" #2), "Gwengela" ("1602 With Hunter Angela" #1), "Iron Gwen" ("Armor Wars" #1) and more on the way.

Link from Comic Book Resources

Now, is it me or is Spider-Gwen becoming over exposed... Harley/Deadpool anyone?

Y

Right. In your plausible scenario, the count would only be off by 3. That's why I stated that there are *approximately* 2500 copies of the variant, after also factoring in international orders, there are perhaps more. Also, this book was very clearly over ordered so there is a very reasonable chance that many smaller stores ordered more than their usual numbers because of the hype.

No. Not 3. Fifteen percent. So, right there, you can trim the overall number down from the 1:100 ratio by 15%.

And, yes, I tried to skew the numbers to larger, to account for the hype. There are many #1s where smaller operations are probably only ordering 5-20 copies. I figured 20 was probably a rock bottom guess for this book, but I'll check with my LCS, who is in fact a smaller store volume wise.

Exactly.

Well presented.

I've been trying to point this out for years, but I'm an inarticulate dope.

Y

Right. In your plausible scenario, the count would only be off by 3. That's why I stated that there are *approximately* 2500 copies of the variant, after also factoring in international orders, there are perhaps more. Also, this book was very clearly over ordered so there is a very reasonable chance that many smaller stores ordered more than their usual numbers because of the hype.

No. Not 3. Fifteen percent. So, right there, you can trim the overall number down from the 1:100 ratio by 15%.

And, yes, I tried to skew the numbers to larger, to account for the hype. There are many #1s where smaller operations are probably only ordering 5-20 copies. I figured 20 was probably a rock bottom guess for this book, but I'll check with my LCS, who is in fact a smaller store volume wise.

No you cannot necessarily do that. And even if you did, international sales would *more* than make up for the difference. Which is why I have said (and continue to say) that 2500 is a reasonable estimate for the book's print run and possibly as high as 3000 if you factored in all international sales. (thumbs u

-J.

Larry, are you reading this? Did the Phantom program qualify for 1:100 variants? Would a store variant of 3000 books get 30 1:100s based on their variant order?

Marvel shop variants do NOT count towards incentive variants.

Oh snap!

Larry, are you reading this? Did the Phantom program qualify for 1:100 variants? Would a store variant of 3000 books get 30 1:100s based on their variant order?

I can answer for Larry. No (and also thanks for looking at this with logic).

How about the incentive variants? Blanks and Young's? Do they qualify as orders that get the 1:100 variants? Say a store orders:

Regular SG 1: 100

SG 1 Young: 50

SG 1 Blank: 50

Do they get 1 1:100 copy or two?

Also, how many store variants were there? 20? And another 10 B+W?

I can answer for Larry. No (and also thanks for looking at this with logic).

How about the incentive variants? Blanks and Young's? Do they qualify as orders that get the 1:100 variants? Say a store orders:

Regular SG 1: 100

SG 1 Young: 50

SG 1 Blank: 50

Do they get 1 1:100 copy or two?

Also, how many store variants were there? 20? And another 10 B+W?

No.

Only regular covers count.

I painfully know this by constantly miscalculating & missing out.

:)

( I honestly don't know number of shop variants )