• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

I'll get it pressed and regraded because I have a presser that assured me that he can do it but in that case something happens he'll pay for the comic.

Show your math for this please. Just because you can press a book doesn't mean its worth while. Show all costs you will have to pay.

OK

ASM 129 CGC 8.0

Paid $956

Expected grade 8.5

Last sale $1200

90 day average $1075

Costs of cpr

Shipping $30

Pressing $15

Grading $75

Total

956+30+15+75 = 1076 which is 1 dollar over the 90 gpa average of a 8.5

Expected value

Now I would take the expected value and take it away from how much everything cost me

1200-1075 = $125 profit

Does the cost of grading above (75$) include return shipping to Canada? Selling for 1200 =/= (does not equal 1200 in your PayPal, but rather 1153.20 at 3.9% fee).

Gabe your presser may tell you he can get you a bump but what happens if it stays an 8.0? What happens if drops are you financially safe to lose another 150 for an 8.0 or like 350 if it drops to a 7.5?

I would have to check again as I believe he would cover the difference should that happen. The 75 would cover shipping and the return cost to Canada. Would I be able to handle the financial loss? I would but I wouldn't like it.

CGC's base rate for return shipping to Canada is via FedEx international @ $60 USD. You can't grade this book for $15. What grading tier are you planning to submit this book under? Economy? I don't think that will fly with CGC but you can try...mean it has to go standard which is $53 with a 20% dealer discount (do you get the 20% discount?). Leaving you with $22 for return shipping...Not sure that's possible.

I would submit this comic under the standard tier which is $60 usd and though I'm not a dealer the presser I would use has a 20% discount and it's been a while since I used cgc but I know there's a cheaper shipping option I'll check my invoices as the closest comparable would be my ba12 cgc 9.6

I'll get it pressed and regraded because I have a presser that assured me that he can do it but in that case something happens he'll pay for the comic.

Show your math for this please. Just because you can press a book doesn't mean its worth while. Show all costs you will have to pay.

OK

ASM 129 CGC 8.0

Paid $956

Expected grade 8.5

Last sale $1200

90 day average $1075

Costs of cpr

Shipping $30

Pressing $15

Grading $75

Total

Expected value

Now I would take the expected value and take it away from how much everything cost me

1200-1075 = $125 profit

Does the cost of grading above (75$) include return shipping to Canada? Selling for 1200 =/= (does not equal 1200 in your PayPal, but rather 1153.20 at 3.9% fee).

Gabe your presser may tell you he can get you a bump but what happens if it stays an 8.0? What happens if drops are you financially safe to lose another 150 for an 8.0 or like 350 if it drops to a 7.5?

I would have to check again as I believe he would cover the difference should that happen. The 75 would cover shipping and the return cost to Canada. Would I be able to handle the financial loss? I would but I wouldn't like it.

CGC's base rate for return shipping to Canada is via FedEx international @ $60 USD. You can't grade this book for $15. What grading tier are you planning to submit this book under? Economy? I don't think that will fly with CGC but you can try...mean it has to go standard which is $53 with a 20% dealer discount (do you get the 20% discount?). Leaving you with $22 for return shipping...Not sure that's possible.

I would submit this comic under the standard tier which is $60 usd and though I'm not a dealer the presser I would use has a 20% discount and it's been a while since I used cgc but I know there's a cheaper shipping option I'll check my invoices as the closest comparable would be my ba12 cgc 9.6

If you're flipping books, you should know all of the costs involved with pressing & grading like the back of your hand.

You should also know that a presser has no control over CGC's grading and as such, will not "cover the difference" if a book drops in grade after it is re-subbed.

The only conceivable way a presser in his right mind would cover a drop in grade is if he damaged the book, while working on it, or while the book was in his possession.

Books that have been CPR'd by competent pressers rarely drop in grade, however they do, on some occasions...be it a change in grading standards since the book was originally graded or something along those lines.

As if all of this wasn't ridiculous in the first place....you do realize that no competent presser will press a book with a FMV of around $1000 for fifteen bucks, without a lag time of several months?

I would not touch this book for less than $50, but that's besides the point.

CCS charges $60 for pressing books of this sort of FMV, with an actual turn around time of about one month.

The best case scenario is that you ship this slab to your presser...after paying over $100 (or more), you are able to sell this book for a profit of less than $100....if you get an 8.5

Assuming the book is actually a good pressing candidate...overlooking the fact you bought it off eBay and were not able to see subtle bends etc up close/in hand...even then, you have to have a very good eye (and understand the mechanics of paper, humidification, heat and pressure) to see pressable defects.

Even if you have such a good eye, it is hard to tell the extent of such defects when the book is encapsulated.

By some strange feat of luck and beating the lofty odds involved with this CPR project of yours, let's say that you get back an 8.5.

That will take about 4 months of having a $1000 tied up, to make a profit of about fifty bucks.

....and that is if you are lucky, and you don't get back an 8.0...or a 7.5.

...he's young...... he has the drive and ambition, sooner or later he will tire of "spinning his wheels" and learn the secret of percentages.... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

No, he won't. He's in his mid 20s, can't even manage a minimum wage job working 40 hours a week and still lives at home mooching off of his parents, and it's obvious that he is perfectly okay with that. The only reason he can "afford" to keep making these mistakes is that is he is constantly being subsidized by someone, either by Canadian taxpayers or by his parents. As long as this situation remains, he'll keep on fubaring up one thing after another because he doesn't have to worry about things like groceries, utilities, car payments and all the other things that the rest of us who live in the real world deal with every day.

I don't have a 40 hour job that's true and I would have less luxury to buy things if I moved out because more money would be focused on other things and as for a car I don't have my license yet. Also I would find a place that includes utilities in their monthly rent which many places do.

For Petes sake, do you even read things before you post them? You get called out for sponging off your parents, and the point you latch onto is that you don't have a drivers license? Okay, let's run with that for a second...you don't have a license, I'm sure you have an excuse for why you haven't got one, Lord knows you have one for everything else. That means that someone has to drive you anywhere you have or want to go, and unless you have some very understanding friends, I'm guessing that that "duty" falls to your parents. The same parents you were whining about a few pages back because your mom didn't want to take you to the post office. Do you honestly think that they haven't or wouldn't get tired of being your chauffeur eventually? At what point do you anticipate deciding that it's time to stop playing around with hobbies you can't afford and be an if not productive or even a useful member of society, at least a self-supporting one. Unless you have the most understanding parents in the world, and maybe you do for all I know, eventually they are going to get sick and tired of supporting you while you continue to indulge in hobbies you can't afford at the same time not even working a full time job. When that day comes, and believe me, it will, you won't have the time, inclination or money to even think about buying a ten dollar comic, much less a thousand dollar one. And before you come back with the statement that your using your own money to buy comics, forget it. When you can honestly say that you are on your own, supporting yourself, without any financial assistance from anyone, then you can say you can afford a hobby, be it flipping comics or anything else, not before.

Do not press the book. Do not re-sub it. Sell it as is and if you have to take a $50 loss than take the loss. A responsible professional admits a mistake and moves on from it. That means selling the book and taking the hit. A seller with no clue will hold the book for months or crack and re-sub it based on hopes rather than logic.

Agree 1000% with all of Red's comments here. Sell the book for what you can get and move on.

And honestly, since it sounds like you don't intend to stop trying to buy and sell comics, you will probably do better in the long run if you take the loss ($50, $100, whatever amount it is) and have the cash available for future opportunities that come up. Otherwise you are tying your hands for months, and throwing good money after bad.

OK

ASM 129 CGC 8.0

Paid $956

Expected grade 8.5

Last sale $1200

90 day average $1075

Costs of cpr

Shipping $30

Pressing $15

Grading $75

Total

Expected value

1200-1075 = $125 profit

No reputable presser will guarantee a CGC grade. That would be incredibly stupid of anyone to do.

Since you keep talking about how you think the book would get an 8.5 after a press, are you an accurate grader? Can you identify an 8.0 from an 8.5? Most people who have been selling books for years can't. If you can't identify an 8.0 from an 8.5 then how do you know that your 8.0 wasn't an overgraded 7.5? Do not press the book. Do not re-sub it. Sell it as is and if you have to take a $50 loss than take the loss. A responsible professional admits a mistake and moves on from it. That means selling the book and taking the hit. A seller with no clue will hold the book for months or crack and re-sub it based on hopes rather than logic.

C'mon, he can't tell the difference between and 8.5 and an 8.0 when it's clearly indicated on the CGC label.

1000 posts later since my last visit.

And nothing has changed.

Not a damn thing.

OK

ASM 129 CGC 8.0

Paid $956

Expected grade 8.5

Last sale $1200

90 day average $1075

Costs of cpr

Shipping $30

Pressing $15

Grading $75

Total

Expected value

1200-1075 = $125 profit

No reputable presser will guarantee a CGC grade. That would be incredibly stupid of anyone to do.

Since you keep talking about how you think the book would get an 8.5 after a press, are you an accurate grader? Can you identify an 8.0 from an 8.5? Most people who have been selling books for years can't. If you can't identify an 8.0 from an 8.5 then how do you know that your 8.0 wasn't an overgraded 7.5? Do not press the book. Do not re-sub it. Sell it as is and if you have to take a $50 loss than take the loss. A responsible professional admits a mistake and moves on from it. That means selling the book and taking the hit. A seller with no clue will hold the book for months or crack and re-sub it based on hopes rather than logic.

C'mon, he can't tell the difference between and 8.5 and an 8.0 when it's clearly indicated on the CGC label.

Now that's just funny!

There's a tool here alright.

You think that's me haha no I just say what I mean to others and no one forced red to come here.

No, I don't think. Haha You're pretty insolent for someone in your situation

No you can say what you wish but I don't like being insulted.

You choose to be insulted by criticism. Well deserved criticism in this case, by literally hundreds of years of experience on this subject.

There's a fine line between criticism and being condescending you know this as well as I do and you were quick to point out that it wasn't a insult so go back a few pages and the let me know if everything you see here is really "Criticism"

Well. I dunno about condescending. I don't want to teach you anything, and I honestly don't think I'm better than you. I just think you're a lazy lay about that doesn't deserve the repsect or advice given.

I do realize employers can look at that so I say let them I know plenty of successful people that post what they want and yes I'm not at that stage or close to it yet but if they don't hire me based on that then who cares?

This post summarizes this entire thread.

No it doesn't

You know what, you're right.

THIS post summarizes this entire thread:

Step 1 - Buy comic.

Step 2 - ?

Step 3 - Profit

1000 posts later since my last visit.

And nothing has changed.

Not a damn thing.

That's not true. It's gotten worse.

You are correct of course.

It's now just desperately sad.

This thread doesn't disappoint. :banana:

You should take him under your wing Dave, you know get him into Cap's or something...

8 8