• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

Gabe, if you're reading this, dump that ASM #129 ASAP and get as much of your money back as you can. That book is like an anchor right now for you.

It'll be one of my options to consider so what do you think I should ask for it?

This is one of those things that you're going to have to learn to be able to do on your own eventually. Do you have a subscription to GPA? If you're going to sell slabbed CGC books it's an invaluable tool.

I think you should price it at what you bought it for and just field offers. You probably won't get what you paid for it because you overpaid for your copy. But try to get as close to your asking number as possible and try to mitigate the loss as much as possible.

Think about how much this wouldn't be a big deal if he had a full time job. Living with parents, pulling in 40 hour weeks with average $18-$20 hour job?

He'd be doing pretty alright

On the living life side that would appear to be an upward trajectory from where he is now.

On the wheelin' & dealin' comics side I think if he had that much discretionary income the current $1100 hole would seem like a minor ripple to what it would most likely be right now.

The simple fact that everyone can see but the OP, stated plainly...he's just not very good at it.

That would be correct and I don't say I'm bad at dealing with comics because I know I can change that as my two biggest problems are my learning disability and my emotional side, my emotional side is easier to deal with so I'm going after that first which will help me in the long run from making impulse purchases and having enough discipline not to act upon them.

This kind of proves the point. I said everyone but you thinks you don't have a knack for this.

Gabe, if you're reading this, dump that ASM #129 ASAP and get as much of your money back as you can. That book is like an anchor right now for you.

Stop trying to lowball him

Actually if he's not in too much of a hurry, he could just wait until the first real punisher trailer on Netflix then throw it up. I don't think the comic will get cheaper, but the OP could become more 'experienced' by then.

I guess I'll do something to that degree and the comic has gotten cheaper according to recent sales of gpa but not by a large amount

Which GPA are you looking at?

This book has lots of sales - so you can easily see trends.

When you have trends - the averages and trends are decent tools. Individual sales - can vary up or down to average for many reasons - like that staple tear.

Book is trending upward - but depending on fees and shipping and such - you will not break even any time soon.

Actually if he's not in too much of a hurry, he could just wait until the first real punisher trailer on Netflix then throw it up. I don't think the comic will get cheaper, but the OP could become more 'experienced' by then.

Like I said up thread, I would do that...but I'm also not $1100 in the hole at the moment.

From what I understand - and I'm sure Gabe will correct me if I'm wrong - but the $1100 hole is before he purchased the ASM #129 for $800-$900. So if I'm understanding it right, now he's into a nearly $2000 comic hole now, not $1100.

If that's correct, then "dumping" the ASM #129 isn't really going to do anything to fill the $1100 hole; if he takes a loss on it, it will only make the hole slightly deeper.

I don't know the full extent of Gabe's financial situation, but unless he's really hurting and absolutely has to have that $800-$900 back ASAP, then I would tend to agree with Revat: it's not really going to "cost" Gabe anything to hold on to the book for a few months.

As W1627 said, the character doesn't show any signs of decreasing in popularity any time soon. His appearance on DD was well-received and there's talk for further media development. And even if Hollywood doesn't do anything doesn't do anything with the property in the near future, it's still an immensely popular within the hobby and looks to remain that way for awhile.

It may be the simple passage of time - NOT pressing - is what will fix this problem.

Again, I don't know if Gabe can afford it, but if he can I think there's a good chance that if he just sits on it for 6-12 months he could sell it, get all his $800-$900 back and maybe even make a bit of profit - profit that he could put towards his $1100 hole (provided he doesn't blow the profit on more flipper bait)

I know most of us have counseled Gabe to get out of dealing comics, and I do think ultimately that would be the best. But I don't see how blowing this book out at a loss really makes his situation better. It's a solid key book and that's the great thing about solid keys: you really don't have to do much other than have the patience to hold it for awhile.

I'm going to assume you haven't read much of this thread.

Actually, I've been keeping up with it for awhile. And yeah, my suggestion requires Gabe showing a measure of self-control that thus far he has yet to display. So it's probably expecting too much.

As far as the numbers...there was discussion about the difference in US and Canadian currency so I may have the amount for the ASM #129 wrong. And I thought the $1100 hole was pre-ASM but I may have lost track in the back-and-forth.

So yeah, I probably should just delete my post.

Actually, I've been keeping up with it for awhile. And yeah, my suggestion requires Gabe showing a measure of self-control that thus far he has yet to display. So it's probably expecting too much.

As far as the numbers...there was discussion about the difference in US and Canadian currency so I may have the amount for the ASM #129 wrong. And I thought the $1100 hole was pre-ASM but I may have lost track in the back-and-forth.

I was along the same line of thinking with you on the value of the 'hole', I thought he was already down more than $K. But I'm currently not confident in the ability of the OP to actually calculate the value of his 'hole'. Who knows if/how he's accounting his profits/losses, his inventories, his ancillary costs, his translations, etc? I think your suggestion is fine, but as you said it assumes self control.

I think many people think it would better for him to get rid of ALL his comics and just focus on something else entirely (job/education), rather than look at his ASM 129 everyday just itching to sell it and 'get back in the game', like it will be a panacea for all his ills.

Edited by Revat

I just don't think he's in a position money wise to hold the book for an extended period of time. For most people that would be the correct play ( though how many people here would buy at 8.0 thinking they were getting an 8.5 ), but if I were him, I would get out of it ASAP and move on. 2c

Is there a scan of the book somewhere and the price he paid?

Jim

Ask and ye shall receive...

http://www.icomicexchange.com/product/amazing-spider-man-129-2

Shipping on top of price paid.

Gabe said he was, by his calculations, was $1100 in the hole...He never said whether that was in Canadian or US funds. As most deal in US funds for comics, I would assume he is $1100 USD in the hole.

He then got $700 (USD) for a finders fee for that BB book (which as insanely fortunate for him)...If he had applied that windfall to service his "comic debt" he would only be about $400 in the hole.

INSTEAD he used that money to buy the ASM #129 for about $950 USD or so, factoring in shipping.

As he has not yet sold the book, I guess you could say he is currently in the hole around $1,350 USD in the hole...

Does that make sense or did I royally screw that up? I have no idea how he "accounts" or covered that $1,100 comic debt either...

...One thing I wonder about is he had $700 from the BB finders fee, where did he get the other $250 USD to cover the rest of the book? Unless he had some still had some $ in his PayPal account...?

I think somewhere he mentioned that he actually has a notable but not huge savings, so he's not living hand/foot to mouth, just not really making any money or having any real prospects, other than hopefully one day losing somewhat less money selling comics than he is currently losing.

Jim

Gabe said he was, by his calculations, was $1100 in the hole...He never said whether that was in Canadian or US funds. As most deal in US funds for comics, I would assume he is $1100 USD in the hole.

He then got $700 (USD) for a finders fee for that BB book (which as insanely fortunate for him)...If he had applied that windfall to service his "comic debt" he would only be about $400 in the hole.

INSTEAD he used that money to buy the ASM #129 for about $950 USD or so, factoring in shipping.

As he has not yet sold the book, I guess you could say he is currently in the hole around $1,350 USD in the hole...

Does that make sense or did I royally screw that up? I have no idea how he "accounts" or covered that $1,100 comic debt either...

...One thing I wonder about is he had $700 from the BB finders fee, where did he get the other $250 USD to cover the rest of the book? Unless he had some still had some $ in his PayPal account...?

Thank you...it actually is a really pretty 8.0. Was the plan to CPR it and went askew or did he think he was buying an 8.5 (like I read) and try and make a quick couple of hundred bucks?

Edited by Guardian Comics

Jim

Thank you...it actually is a really pretty 8.0. Was the plan to CPR it and went askew or did he think he was buying an 8.5 (like I read) and try and make a quick couple of hundred bucks?

Apparently, he had a bunch of tabs open on his computer and in his complete and utter excitement, thought it was actually an 8.5 at the price point he ended up paying as he had looked at one earlier and somehow managed to go through the ICE screen and PayPal screens without noticing it was actually an 8.0 he was buying...So what he thought was a "good deal" on an 8.5 was actually a pricey 8.0 buy.

Edited by Wall-Crawler

Would anyone else have returned it when you got the 8.0? If the title incorrectly stated it was a 8.5 (even though the picture showed a 8.0) I'd think CGC would quickly side with you when you returned it.

IF it were misrepresented (and admittedly I didn't check the listing) this would have been the first thing I did. Better to get your money back, even if you're out shipping, rather than have to sell this book at a loss.

So it was either Gabe's mistake and not on the seller, or Gabe still thought he could make bank by overpaying for the 8.0. Either way it is a bit ???

It's completely my mistake and their return policy is 14 days

As I stated earlier, there was nothing wrong with how ICE listed the book. You can still look it up and CLEARLY see it is advertised as a ASM #129 CGC 8.0 with a large photo with zoom feature that clearly shows the 8.0 grade.

I don't know if you are past the 14 day return period but I would have a problem with you returning the book considering it arrived exactly as described and pictured - A CGC 8.0. The slight staple tear was visible in the scan. The error was all on you.

It would be like me selling you a book for an agreed upon price and then because you couldn't make as much money on it as you hoped, wanting to return it to me. I think that would be "frowned upon" here would it not? Returning something due to "buyers remorse"?

Would it be frowned upon? Yes it would be I already said this was my mistake completely

It'll be one of my options to consider so what do you think I should ask for it?

This is one of those things that you're going to have to learn to be able to do on your own eventually. Do you have a subscription to GPA? If you're going to sell slabbed CGC books it's an invaluable tool.

I think you should price it at what you bought it for and just field offers. You probably won't get what you paid for it because you overpaid for your copy. But try to get as close to your asking number as possible and try to mitigate the loss as much as possible.

I do have a gpa account and I've heard numbers like 10-30% off gpa to entice people to buy your copy instead of someone else that may have it at retail.

Think about how much this wouldn't be a big deal if he had a full time job. Living with parents, pulling in 40 hour weeks with average $18-$20 hour job?

He'd be doing pretty alright

On the living life side that would appear to be an upward trajectory from where he is now.

On the wheelin' & dealin' comics side I think if he had that much discretionary income the current $1100 hole would seem like a minor ripple to what it would most likely be right now.

The simple fact that everyone can see but the OP, stated plainly...he's just not very good at it.

That would be correct and I don't say I'm bad at dealing with comics because I know I can change that as my two biggest problems are my learning disability and my emotional side, my emotional side is easier to deal with so I'm going after that first which will help me in the long run from making impulse purchases and having enough discipline not to act upon them.

This kind of proves the point. I said everyone but you thinks you don't have a knack for this.

Ok

I guess I'll do something to that degree and the comic has gotten cheaper according to recent sales of gpa but not by a large amount

Which GPA are you looking at?

This book has lots of sales - so you can easily see trends.

When you have trends - the averages and trends are decent tools. Individual sales - can vary up or down to average for many reasons - like that staple tear.

Book is trending upward - but depending on fees and shipping and such - you will not break even any time soon.

I was actually looking at the last sale and 90 day average both of which went down and the comic isn't trending up in every grade even in 90 day averages

No you're not wrong pre-asm 129 that's what the number was

I was along the same line of thinking with you on the value of the 'hole', I thought he was already down more than $K. But I'm currently not confident in the ability of the OP to actually calculate the value of his 'hole'. Who knows if/how he's accounting his profits/losses, his inventories, his ancillary costs, his translations, etc? I think your suggestion is fine, but as you said it assumes self control.

I think many people think it would better for him to get rid of ALL his comics and just focus on something else entirely (job/education), rather than look at his ASM 129 everyday just itching to sell it and 'get back in the game', like it will be a panacea for all his ills.

I can calculate that much and when I sell something the numbers I tell you are after all is said and done.

I just don't think he's in a position money wise to hold the book for an extended period of time. For most people that would be the correct play ( though how many people here would buy at 8.0 thinking they were getting an 8.5 ), but if I were him, I would get out of it ASAP and move on. 2c

Yes I'm not in a position where I can hold a comic for a long time but that depends how much I have in it.

8 8