• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

what does my grammar have to do with how seriously people take me?

1bm4kp.jpg

Let me rephrase that. I'm selling comics and I know may grammar isn't perfect but they can understand me.

.. have you heard of the saying: You are what you write?

If people see lots of grammatical errors, they will pre-judge you as a simpleton. Yeah, sure .. the odd one-or-two ... everyone's human afterall ... but when whole sentences are strung together with no punctuation, well .. you are what you write.

No I heard of "You are what you eat" though and yes my grammar needs to improve more

514_400x400_NoPeel.jpg

lol

Three sentences? I only see two at most and what does my grammar have to do with how seriously people take me? Because of being professional? I know I'm not the best but I have improved if you haven't noticed. There's more the one reason for sure but the big one was boardies didn't like me saying nice comics.

I think the way people see you is not only through how you conduct yourself but also how you represent yourself. You do not appear to be someone that knows what you're doing. The way you describe yourself and the way you conduct your business is sloppy. You won't be taken seriously unless you clean up your act.

I see so what can I do immediately to make people want to buy more?

Lower prices

Good pics and descriptions

YES! ... doesn't that seem like common-sense to you?

That's what I did with some of my listing but they were hit and miss tbh

Gabe, you're not seeing it ... if you lower your prices: You'll make your books far more liable to be purchased. If you provide good pics and descriptions: you're giving your potential buyers confidence that what you're offering is what they'll receive if they DO buy from you.

I always (but ALWAYS) walk away from listings that have poor pictures. To me, it shows that the seller is either potentially hiding defects, or that they're lazy. Either way, it doesn't inspire confidence for me to bid or buy it now.

Ok pricing is one thing I need to change and which listing are you saying has poor pictures? The DD257 or Tec 359?

As a frequent buyer on Ebay, here are some of the things I saw that would steer me away from your auctions.

Tec 359 - Tape pull not mentioned. Marker on the cover is mentioned in your listing however there is only one picture of the inside cover that does not show the entire inside front cover. Whenever I hear "rare" on a common book then it throws up the red flags. You ship regularly but if I want you to ship another method then I'll have to pay more. What the heck does that mean? Looks like someone erased something by Robin's gloves and cape but not mentioned in the description. Looking at all of these questions makes me very leary of buying your book.

DD 257/FF 53 - looking at the description of these two books makes me wonder the condition of the case. Not knowing how bad scratches and scuffs are a big no for me so unless there are pictures of how bad the damage is on the case, I'm not buying. The mention of "1st Klaw Movie soon" tells me you're a flipper and most likely you're hyping the book. Why are you wishing me luck on your books when it' not an auction. The books are BIN so there is no luck involved.

I understand some of the verbiage used in your listing is to try to market your book, but seeing that you don't have many books for sale it gives me the impression that you're a part time flipper that I might want to stay away from. I've purchased books from sellers that had similar, worse,and sometimes stock pictures but because they were in the business of selling comic books I felt confortable with purchasing from them. If I'm interested in purchasing something from a seller with low feedback or does not deal with comics then I will only bid if they have the book in an auction. I will do BIN but only if it's at a good price but if the person has a small inventory of books and their BIN is at or above FMV then I will just assume the person thinks they're holding onto gold and are pricing their books as such.

Good point for the TEC 359 I didn't mention it because of it's grade but if it makes that much of a difference I'll add that on and what I mean by rare is it's PQ for it's grade and age. It's not erased that I know if but I'll check and I wish people luck because I usually do OBO

Shipping has more then one option but using a box is more expensive then shipping it in a bubble mailer.

DD257/FF53 I always say a case has scratches and scuffs to prevent people from giving me negative feedback by saying it's not as described. I buy whatever I think I can flip and lately I've been doing video games as well.

I want to thank you for taking the time to give me feedback

Three sentences? I only see two at most and what does my grammar have to do with how seriously people take me? Because of being professional? I know I'm not the best but I have improved if you haven't noticed. There's more the one reason for sure but the big one was boardies didn't like me saying nice comics.

I think the way people see you is not only through how you conduct yourself but also how you represent yourself. You do not appear to be someone that knows what you're doing. The way you describe yourself and the way you conduct your business is sloppy. You won't be taken seriously unless you clean up your act.

Lower prices

Hmm, I think I may have figured out why you can't seem to hold a job. People on this board have been telling you these things for YEARS, and yet you make it sound like this is the first time that you've heard this advice. I'm guessing that if your previous employers had to tell you the exact same thing five times, by the time number six rolled around, they decided to cut their losses and get a new employee. The really smart ones did 2 minutes worth of research on you on the Internet and didn't hire you in the first place.

I see but I do tell every employer I need things to be repeated to me

No, you don't see, but at least your giving all those potential employers the courtesy of not even wasting the 2 minutes of their time in researching you before your application goes in the trash can.

Actually I do I see how employers would want someone else over me.

Okay, then what are you doing to make yourself more marketable? You need to face facts, and unless you plan on living at home forever, sooner or later you're going to have to support yourself. And please don't say you'll do it by dealing in comics, because it's not going to happen. Your track record is proof of that. Also, just because other people can be successful at flipping comics, that does not mean that you can be successful at it as well. Why would it? Guys like Rick and Ed have been successfully dealing in comics longer than you have been alive. Why does that mean that you, or anyone else, can automatically do it too? If your rationale for becoming a successful comic flipper is because other people can do it, then heck, by your reasoning, I should be able to play quarterback for the Dallas Cowboys because Dak Prescott can do it.

Shipping has more then one option but using a box is more expensive then shipping it in a bubble mailer.

Gabe .... the different amounts for shipping shouldn't matter. You are giving options for your potential buyer, and they will appreciate the time you are taking to do that for them. I always look to see what packaging options a seller provides. It's not a deal-breaker, but it's good to have that extra packaging option. Other buyers mileage may vary on that one .. and anyway .. it's the buyer who will be picking up the tab for shipping.

A thought just crossed my mind: Heaven forbid you're "adding a little bit more" on the shipping price to make that little bit more on the thing that you're selling? Doing that is rightly-so frowned upon (tsk)

Lower prices

Hmm, I think I may have figured out why you can't seem to hold a job. People on this board have been telling you these things for YEARS, and yet you make it sound like this is the first time that you've heard this advice. I'm guessing that if your previous employers had to tell you the exact same thing five times, by the time number six rolled around, they decided to cut their losses and get a new employee. The really smart ones did 2 minutes worth of research on you on the Internet and didn't hire you in the first place.

No, you don't see, but at least your giving all those potential employers the courtesy of not even wasting the 2 minutes of their time in researching you before your application goes in the trash can.

Okay, then what are you doing to make yourself more marketable? You need to face facts, and unless you plan on living at home forever, sooner or later you're going to have to support yourself. And please don't say you'll do it by dealing in comics, because it's not going to happen. Your track record is proof of that. Also, just because other people can be successful at flipping comics, that does not mean that you can be successful at it as well. Why would it? Guys like Rick and Ed have been successfully dealing in comics longer than you have been alive. Why does that mean that you, or anyone else, can automatically do it too? If your rationale for becoming a successful comic flipper is because other people can do it, then heck, by your reasoning, I should be able to play quarterback for the Dallas Cowboys because Dak Prescott can do it.

I made my resume better. I know that I'm going to have to support myself sooner or later and comics aren't going to be my living I realize that but it's a good side thing for now. I'm not saying anyone can do anything automatically but determination and effort go a long way.

Gabe .... the different amounts for shipping shouldn't matter. You are giving options for your potential buyer, and they will appreciate the time you are taking to do that for them. I always look to see what packaging options a seller provides. It's not a deal-breaker, but it's good to have that extra packaging option. Other buyers mileage may vary on that one .. and anyway .. it's the buyer who will be picking up the tab for shipping.

A thought just crossed my mind: Heaven forbid you're "adding a little bit more" on the shipping price to make that little bit more on the thing that you're selling? Doing that is rightly-so frowned upon (tsk)

That's not what I'm doing at all I'll give you a example of what two different shipping options cost me.

Bubble mailer with tracking and insurance $15.67

Box with tracking and insurance plus shipping supplies $27 dollars

.. don't forget: it's them that are paying for the shipping options .. not you .. which is why that thought crossed my mind, as you worded it as what the shipping would cost you (which isn't correct at all).

Lower prices

I made my resume better. I know that I'm going to have to support myself sooner or later and comics aren't going to be my living I realize that but it's a good side thing for now. I'm not saying anyone can do anything automatically but determination and effort go a long way.

You're right, determination and effort do go a long way, but it's not always enough. You need to know when to cut your losses. Comics, for you, are not a "good" side thing. If they were, you would not be in the hole. The reasons you're in the hole are irrelevant, you were scammed (multiple times), you overpaid for books, etc., the point is you are in the hole, and if comics were a good side thing for you, you wouldn't be. The sooner you realize that, the better off you will be.

I'm not saying anyone can do anything automatically but determination and effort go a long way.

Isn't a major talking point of this thread about your lack of effort?

.. don't forget: it's them that are paying for the shipping options .. not you .. which is why that thought crossed my mind, as you worded it as what the shipping would cost you (which isn't correct at all).

I'll change that then

Lower prices

You're right, determination and effort do go a long way, but it's not always enough. You need to know when to cut your losses. Comics, for you, are not a "good" side thing. If they were, you would not be in the hole. The reasons you're in the hole are irrelevant, you were scammed (multiple times), you overpaid for books, etc., the point is you are in the hole, and if comics were a good side thing for you, you wouldn't be. The sooner you realize that, the better off you will be.

Trust me I'm working on it, for example the last time I got scammed was about a year ago and I almost paid off every single comic I overpaid for so that's improvement

I can't imagine what would happen if Gabe stopped posting

:ohnoez:

That was sarcasm I got it right this time.

Technically, that one shouldn't count. The spinning head emoji was kind of a giveaway. Oh, what the heck, at least your getting better at something. :whistle:

This time it was a couple things. The head spinning, The wording and the fact that she only really comes here to say sarcastic things

She's kind of a person_without_enough_empathy.

Technically, that one shouldn't count. The spinning head emoji was kind of a giveaway. Oh, what the heck, at least your getting better at something. :whistle:

This time it was a couple things. The head spinning, The wording and the fact that she only really comes here to say sarcastic things

I've spoken to her a few times and she's smart and I've got nothing against her

I've spoken to her a few times and she's smart and I've got nothing against her

I find her lack of height annoying.

Looks like all that golden information on the world's only two parliamentary systems got poofed overnight.

Hmm you're right I wonder what that's about?

Apparently the Civics lesson was deemed to be politics.

Looks like all that golden information on the world's only two parliamentary systems got poofed overnight.

Why don't you ask the moderators? I'm sure they'll be happy to fill you in.

Apparently the Civics lesson was deemed to be politics.

Fair enough

Why don't you ask the moderators? I'm sure they'll be happy to fill you in.

Ok I'll ask and see what they say

8 8