• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

Can I get an update on whose out?

I see people post this from time to time but then they are back. I'm going to get on those people as I feel they are probably easier to convince not to come back

Out

Reveat

Red84

Mysterio hm

I haven't provided any more advice, just responded to others (ok, and maybe a little sarcasm). If that makes me not out then I guess I didn't get the rules.

New WTB

Edited by mysterio

So the Star Wars movie announcement is coming at NYCC next week even though NYCC ended this past weekend?

From what I've been told either Halloween or FCBD

So either last weekend, next week, the end of the month or 7 months from now? That's a pretty tight window so make sure you sell when the hype reaches its peak.

Well I've been told the trailer hits Dec 2nd and the announcement will be either by next week,Halloween or FCBD but he said to buy before this weekend.

If it was such a sure fire win why didn't your friend buy up all the copies?

If he had 10 what's 1 more?

If it's only 75$ why not buy it?

Oh I have the 1:25 variant too... I can't wait to hear the offer on it :baiting:

He was waiting for this window to buy and he'll wait again to buy more when people will move onto the next comic. He mentioned that the variants will be a good buy as well.

I'm a little confused where the potential profit is on the Darth Vader 3 CGC 9.8 when $75 is the all time high.

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-11%20at%2012.10.52%20AM_zpsfuznp6ba.png

From a page back he said:

"It was the regular version not the variant and I bought it because it was a good deal, I didn't listen to my friend when he told me I should have bought thor 133 CGC 9.8 X2 and 9.6 x3 and I lost lots of money by not doing that so I'm going to listen this time."

Sooo apparently his "friend" told him to buy it? Or Gabe was worried about being 'left behind' all on his own and wants to 'cash in' when Aphra hits it 'big time'?

I wonder if this was the same "friend" he is in a "competition" with to see who can make more money flipping comics...

If he paid GPA high for that book and considers it a "good deal".... doh!

I hope for his sake it becomes hot and triples in value.

Unfortunately I don't think the character of Darth Vader is going to spike in value. He has kind of already had his moment and I'm pretty sure he is the most well known villain on the planet. I would suggest you sell the book immediately and try to recoup some of what you paid.

Just take a look at what the cheapest prices are for the 9.8's now 90-100 and the 1:25 variants yesterday were 50-75 now they're 90-100+ and we have someone asking 400

OBO for his 9.8 so I'm curious to see if it will sell.

People can ask whatever they want. What matters is what something sells for. You should know this by now. I would suggest you stop asking this friend for advice.

I realize that and have checked the sold listings but it's simple if people have no choice but to but what's already listed at a higher price they will and that will make the comic rise in value as it's already been doing.

No.

No what? You don't think people will buy the comic at I higher price? I do and it will since people will buy based on hype and emotions as I've done before, I'm not saying my emotions are perfect but I'm getting better with my impulses

No, people don't automatically pay higher prices just because asking prices go up. Your market analysis is flawed. Your business plan of selling to people who get sucked into hype and buy impulsively is flawed. Especially when you're buying into hype and buying books at GPA highs in the hope that they double and you can squeak a profit.

This behavior is exactly what you said you'd get control of. This purchase is exhibit A that you are paying lip service to getting better with impulses. How do you think you're doing that exactly?

Then we agree to disagree because I've seen it before and I do know a thing or two about buying on hype, I know not all people will do it but it will be enough to raise prices. Second these prices are even before another annoucement and before a trailer drop. Third , I asked my friend about this ten times before I bought this comic and waited about three days, he said that I paid more then gpa but 100 will be the basement price.

Probably dozens of people giving advice who know a LOT about flipping and hype. Many giving you great advice. Many who have stopped.

I have removed covers - bulk buys, and the money order - this is your "money loser" list......

JLA #1 CGC NG Buy $210usd Sell $115

Bat #4 NG Buy $223usd Sell $75

X-men 219 NM Buy $5.50usd Sell $-5.50

Giant Size X-men #2 2.0 Buy $21.72usd Sell $-21.72

Betty and Veronica #320 7.0/7.5 Buy $470usd Sell $250

Avengers 57+58+ FF 53 Buy $360usd Sell $250

Infinity Gauntlet CBCS 9.8 X5 9.6 X2 Buy $985.60 Sell $0

Suicide Squad 12 x2 VF-NM Buy $12.63cad Sell $0

DC presents 26 Buy $126usd Sell $ 30 usd harley quinn #1

ASM 50 1.5/2.0 Buy $110usd Sell $88

ASM 4 coverless NG Buy $18usd Sell -$18

ASM #1 Silver version Buy $2.25cad Sell $0

Aquaman 29 3.0/3.5 Buy $0 Sell $-8

Adventure comics 260 Buy $88.88 Sell $0

Flash 139 Buy $105 Sell $0

BA 12 Buy $834.15 Sell $820

ST126 $180.69 Sell $157.25

X-men 266 CBCS 9.6 Buy $337.5 Sell $173

Aquaman 29 VG Buy $65 usd Sell $61.14

Giant Size X-men #1 Buy $355.38 Sell $-335.38

Marvel Super Heroes 12 Buy $110usd Sell $0

The hard corps #1 Buy $2.95cad Sell $0

ASM 361 x2 CGC 9.8 Buy $350usd Sell $185 +$150 trade

23 purchases .....

13 of them - tied into hype. Many of which you were very vocal about how the hype will pop the book,.

add in the ASM 129 ---- 14/24.

more than 50% of your major losses are you trying to flip hype books.

lets look at the wins you posted....

Archie comics bought for 25 sold for 100

ASM 101 Bought for 55 sold for 75

IM 305 Bought for 7 sold for 12

X-Factor 5,6,15,18, 23,24 bought for cover price and sold for a total of 135

FF 67 Bought for 8 bucks sold for 15

Strange adventures 180 bought for 23 sold for 55

not really counting IM 305 --- 304 is the hype book - this one came around for the ride....

2/6 heck - giving you 305 makes it just 50% of your wins were hype.

if you had many more wins than loses -- these % are not really bad ( like 90 wins and 10 loses) ---- but look at the numbers and the facts---

chasing hype - you have made money 3 times out of a total of 27 chases.

Your chasing hype business strategy loses you money on almost 90% of the deals you make.

Paying over FMV for "hype books" - only makes the numbers worse.

Of course your "friend" says it is ok to overpay for a book. If they really do know something - they bought their fill already and are more than willing to get the price pumped early.

Edited by W16227

I'm a little confused where the potential profit is on the Darth Vader 3 CGC 9.8 when $75 is the all time high.

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-11%20at%2012.10.52%20AM_zpsfuznp6ba.png

From a page back he said:

"It was the regular version not the variant and I bought it because it was a good deal, I didn't listen to my friend when he told me I should have bought thor 133 CGC 9.8 X2 and 9.6 x3 and I lost lots of money by not doing that so I'm going to listen this time."

Sooo apparently his "friend" told him to buy it? Or Gabe was worried about being 'left behind' all on his own and wants to 'cash in' when Aphra hits it 'big time'?

I wonder if this was the same "friend" he is in a "competition" with to see who can make more money flipping comics...

If he paid GPA high for that book and considers it a "good deal".... doh!

I hope for his sake it becomes hot and triples in value.

Unfortunately I don't think the character of Darth Vader is going to spike in value. He has kind of already had his moment and I'm pretty sure he is the most well known villain on the planet. I would suggest you sell the book immediately and try to recoup some of what you paid.

Just take a look at what the cheapest prices are for the 9.8's now 90-100 and the 1:25 variants yesterday were 50-75 now they're 90-100+ and we have someone asking 400

OBO for his 9.8 so I'm curious to see if it will sell.

People can ask whatever they want. What matters is what something sells for. You should know this by now. I would suggest you stop asking this friend for advice.

I realize that and have checked the sold listings but it's simple if people have no choice but to but what's already listed at a higher price they will and that will make the comic rise in value as it's already been doing.

No.

No what? You don't think people will buy the comic at I higher price? I do and it will since people will buy based on hype and emotions as I've done before, I'm not saying my emotions are perfect but I'm getting better with my impulses

No, people don't automatically pay higher prices just because asking prices go up. Your market analysis is flawed. Your business plan of selling to people who get sucked into hype and buy impulsively is flawed. Especially when you're buying into hype and buying books at GPA highs in the hope that they double and you can squeak a profit.

This behavior is exactly what you said you'd get control of. This purchase is exhibit A that you are paying lip service to getting better with impulses. How do you think you're doing that exactly?

Then we agree to disagree because I've seen it before and I do know a thing or two about buying on hype, I know not all people will do it but it will be enough to raise prices. Second these prices are even before another annoucement and before a trailer drop. Third , I asked my friend about this ten times before I bought this comic and waited about three days, he said that I paid more then gpa but 100 will be the basement price.

Probably dozens of people giving advice who know a LOT about flipping and hype. Many giving you great advice. Many who have stopped.

I have removed covers - bulk buys, and the money order - this is your "money loser" list......

JLA #1 CGC NG Buy $210usd Sell $115

Bat #4 NG Buy $223usd Sell $75

X-men 219 NM Buy $5.50usd Sell $-5.50

Giant Size X-men #2 2.0 Buy $21.72usd Sell $-21.72

Betty and Veronica #320 7.0/7.5 Buy $470usd Sell $250

Avengers 57+58+ FF 53 Buy $360usd Sell $250

Infinity Gauntlet CBCS 9.8 X5 9.6 X2 Buy $985.60 Sell $0

Suicide Squad 12 x2 VF-NM Buy $12.63cad Sell $0

DC presents 26 Buy $126usd Sell $ 30 usd harley quinn #1

ASM 50 1.5/2.0 Buy $110usd Sell $88

ASM 4 coverless NG Buy $18usd Sell -$18

ASM #1 Silver version Buy $2.25cad Sell $0

Aquaman 29 3.0/3.5 Buy $0 Sell $-8

Adventure comics 260 Buy $88.88 Sell $0

Flash 139 Buy $105 Sell $0

BA 12 Buy $834.15 Sell $820

ST126 $180.69 Sell $157.25

X-men 266 CBCS 9.6 Buy $337.5 Sell $173

Aquaman 29 VG Buy $65 usd Sell $61.14

Giant Size X-men #1 Buy $355.38 Sell $-335.38

Marvel Super Heroes 12 Buy $110usd Sell $0

The hard corps #1 Buy $2.95cad Sell $0

ASM 361 x2 CGC 9.8 Buy $350usd Sell $185 +$150 trade

23 purchases .....

13 of them - tied into hype. Many of which you were very vocal about how the hype will pop the book,.

add in the ASM 129 ---- 14/24.

more than 50% of your major losses are you trying to flip hype books.

lets look at the wins you posted....

Archie comics bought for 25 sold for 100

ASM 101 Bought for 55 sold for 75

IM 305 Bought for 7 sold for 12

X-Factor 5,6,15,18, 23,24 bought for cover price and sold for a total of 135

FF 67 Bought for 8 bucks sold for 15

Strange adventures 180 bought for 23 sold for 55

not really counting IM 305 --- 304 is the hype book - this one came around for the ride....

2/6 heck - giving you 305 makes it just 50% of your wins were hype.

if you had many more wins than loses -- these % are not really bad ( like 90 wins and 10 loses) ---- but look at the numbers and the facts---

chasing hype - you have made money 3 times out of a total of 27 chases.

Your chasing hype business strategy loses you money on almost 90% of the deals you make.

Paying over FMV for "hype books" - only makes the numbers worse.

Of course your "friend" says it is ok to overpay for a book. If they really do know something - they bought their fill already and are more than willing to get the price pumped early.

Yes I agree most of those comics are movie based books but that's what sells unless it's some key or something scarce. Two of those comics actually got lost that's why you see a zero beside them. I haven't counted my wins but I know that the losses really took out a chunk of what I made.

Edited by uchiha101

Oh I have the 1:25 variant too... I can't wait to hear the offer on it :baiting:

Take current top GPA --- offer it to Gabe at 20% more.

Think I figured out how this works....... we are in bizarro - world

Take current top GPA --- offer it to Gabe at 20% more.

Think I figured out how this works....... we are in bizarro - world

I thought he was joking

Nope I bought this book at cover price - 30% since I preordered back in 2015 before it came out. Of course I picked up the variant as well.

Top gpa + 20 % doesn't even get it out of the box. (I set most of the top gpa sales on this book lol )

Hygiene should be the easiest to work on and improve immediately.

1) Shower every day / wash hair

2) Clip nails once a week, or better yet take some of that flipping money and get a manicure, or get your sister to give you one.

3) Shave every day / every other day.

4) Put on deodorant and clean clothes.

I think those goals would be fairly easy to accomplish right away.

When I hear "I'm working on it" for the above I read it as " I'm not doing any of it".

I already do that but showering and shaving everyday because my skin becomes really dry and red.

Always an excuse for everthing isn't there?

Nope I bought this book at cover price - 30% since I preordered back in 2015 before it came out. Of course I picked up the variant as well.

Top gpa + 20 % doesn't even get it out of the box. (I set most of the top gpa sales on this book lol )

So you have a diamond account then

Hygiene should be the easiest to work on and improve immediately.

1) Shower every day / wash hair

2) Clip nails once a week, or better yet take some of that flipping money and get a manicure, or get your sister to give you one.

3) Shave every day / every other day.

4) Put on deodorant and clean clothes.

I think those goals would be fairly easy to accomplish right away.

When I hear "I'm working on it" for the above I read it as " I'm not doing any of it".

I already do that but showering and shaving everyday because my skin becomes really dry and red.

Always an excuse for everthing isn't there?

No because it's true, so I take showers every second day and use deodorant everyday

Yes I agree most of those comics are movie based books but that's what sells unless it's some key or something scarce. Two of those comics actually got lost that's why you see a zero beside them. I haven't counted my wins but I know that the losses really took out a chunk of what I made.

look at the math again- the way you are running your business - they are selling for a loss the MAJORITY OF THE TIME

90% of your hype deals end up with you losing money

90%

in school - this would be an A- ....... in losing money

Hype books sell - so do others.

Ebay --- sales of thousands of comics every day.

a couple of books I sold in the last week -

green lantern 29 VG 1st etch a sketch guy

batman 161 GD the 15 1/2th appearance of bat mite....

X Men 25 FN/VF el tigre baby!!!!!!

None of these books sets the world on fire. Nothing special. But they all sold.

Nope dcbs

look at the math again- the way you are running your business - they are selling for a loss the MAJORITY OF THE TIME

90%

He's working on that.

The phrase that keeps getting repeated over and over that's killing me is "I'm working on that". This refers to any area Gabe feels he has a weakness in and is taking steps to improve.

The problem is: there is never any detail provided for HOW he's "working on that".

Good goals are ALWAYS measurable. You should be able to say "yes I accomplished this because" or "no I didn't accomplish this because". Black and white.

It's not enough to say "I'm working on math/business/emotions/hygiene". What are the exact steps you're taking to work on these areas?

I am working on it and since hygiene is something that comes up often I'll address it. I trim my nails more often and I shower more and shave more.

My emotions and impulses: I already said that I know look at gpa, triple check before I buy and see if I can get a better deal.

QUANTIFY YOUR GOALS!!!

Don't say "I'll trim my nails more". Say "I'll trim my nails every Monday and Thursday". That way, you can look back after a month and say "yes I definitely made my goal" or "no I didn't make my goal".

See the difference?

The phrase "I'm working on emotions" means nothing. Which specific emotions are you working on and what exactly are you doing to improve them? In a month's time, how can you tell if you've improved or not? Again, make it quantifiable.

Nope dcbs

was going to say that.

No one should be paying retail for books.

dcbs.com preorder your books, get 30-50% off.

the downside is you dont get to pick thru a stack of new #1s to find the most perfect condition one.

but I've been very happy with dcbs as my preorder provider for about 10 years (at least until I moved to Europe)

90%

How long did it take to sell those comics you had?

8 8