• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

Nope I bought this book at cover price - 30% since I preordered back in 2015 before it came out. Of course I picked up the variant as well.

Top gpa + 20 % doesn't even get it out of the box. (I set most of the top gpa sales on this book lol )

So you have a diamond account then

Nope dcbs

I've never heard of it but do you need to make minimum orders to keep your account active or you order as much as you want?

The phrase that keeps getting repeated over and over that's killing me is "I'm working on that". This refers to any area Gabe feels he has a weakness in and is taking steps to improve.

The problem is: there is never any detail provided for HOW he's "working on that".

Good goals are ALWAYS measurable. You should be able to say "yes I accomplished this because" or "no I didn't accomplish this because". Black and white.

It's not enough to say "I'm working on math/business/emotions/hygiene". What are the exact steps you're taking to work on these areas?

I am working on it and since hygiene is something that comes up often I'll address it. I trim my nails more often and I shower more and shave more.

My emotions and impulses: I already said that I know look at gpa, triple check before I buy and see if I can get a better deal.

QUANTIFY YOUR GOALS!!!

Don't say "I'll trim my nails more". Say "I'll trim my nails every Monday and Thursday". That way, you can look back after a month and say "yes I definitely made my goal" or "no I didn't make my goal".

See the difference?

The phrase "I'm working on emotions" means nothing. Which specific emotions are you working on and what exactly are you doing to improve them? In a month's time, how can you tell if you've improved or not? Again, make it quantifiable.

Ok I'm working on my emotions of impulses and desperation.

I'm improving them but taking a deep breath if I get excited, count to 10 and look at it again

Then I check gpa to see if it's a good deal and if I see if I can buy it anywhere else for a better price

Finally after I check again to make sure that it's the right comic and grade I buy it.

Nope I bought this book at cover price - 30% since I preordered back in 2015 before it came out. Of course I picked up the variant as well.

Top gpa + 20 % doesn't even get it out of the box. (I set most of the top gpa sales on this book lol )

So you have a diamond account then

Nope dcbs

was going to say that.

No one should be paying retail for books.

dcbs.com preorder your books, get 30-50% off.

the downside is you dont get to pick thru a stack of new #1s to find the most perfect condition one.

but I've been very happy with dcbs as my preorder provider for about 10 years (at least until I moved to Europe)

One of the things I see often happen is they get damaged so what do you do then? Return it and get a refund or credit?

Yes I agree most of those comics are movie based books but that's what sells unless it's some key or something scarce. Two of those comics actually got lost that's why you see a zero beside them. I haven't counted my wins but I know that the losses really took out a chunk of what I made.

look at the math again- the way you are running your business - they are selling for a loss the MAJORITY OF THE TIME

90% of your hype deals end up with you losing money

90%

in school - this would be an A- ....... in losing money

Hype books sell - so do others.

Ebay --- sales of thousands of comics every day.

a couple of books I sold in the last week -

green lantern 29 VG 1st etch a sketch guy

batman 161 GD the 15 1/2th appearance of bat mite....

X Men 25 FN/VF el tigre baby!!!!!!

None of these books sets the world on fire. Nothing special. But they all sold.

How long did it take to sell those comics you had?

I do not keep track of that in general --- a long time ago I showed you my listing strategy. Basically - I monitor how long a book has been at a given price point. If I feel it has been sitting too long - I drop the price. I track how long it has been since the last price adjustment - not how long a book has been sitting.

If you keep the store full up with books - have good listings, grade fairly, price fairly- the sales will come.

Before that - you have to make good buying decisions. Well before you list.

By full - you need to be able to manage 100+ listings.

Edited by W16227

Gabe, after 2 and a half years, every conceivable piece of advice has been given to you, and you summarily have ignored 99.9% of it. There is nothing more that anyone here on the boards can do for you. The help you need has to come from a professional counselor of some sort. It's gotten to the point where this thread is just sad, as everyone watches you self destruct. I wish you luck in getting your life in order, but I do not wish you luck in your comic flipping, because no amount of luck is going to help you with something that you are clearly terrible at and have no aptitude for. In my opinion, the best thing that could happen for you is if EVERYONE stopped posting in this thread. At least then, you might seek help from a professional who can help you. Every piece of advice from boardies that could possibly help you is already in this thread, a lot of it multiple times. If you haven't grasped it by now, you're not going to. Good luck to you, Gabe, I hope that you can get to a point where you are successful and happy, either with or without comics. On that final note, once and for all I'm out. Please add my name to the OUT list.

Ok thanks.

:(

Gabe, after 2 and a half years, every conceivable piece of advice has been given to you, and you summarily have ignored 99.9% of it. There is nothing more that anyone here on the boards can do for you. The help you need has to come from a professional counselor of some sort. It's gotten to the point where this thread is just sad, as everyone watches you self destruct. I wish you luck in getting your life in order, but I do not wish you luck in your comic flipping, because no amount of luck is going to help you with something that you are clearly terrible at and have no aptitude for. In my opinion, the best thing that could happen for you is if EVERYONE stopped posting in this thread. At least then, you might seek help from a professional who can help you. Every piece of advice from boardies that could possibly help you is already in this thread, a lot of it multiple times. If you haven't grasped it by now, you're not going to. Good luck to you, Gabe, I hope that you can get to a point where you are successful and happy, either with or without comics. On that final note, once and for all I'm out. Please add my name to the OUT list.

Ok thanks.

Not to mention poor spelling...

The phrase that keeps getting repeated over and over that's killing me is "I'm working on that". This refers to any area Gabe feels he has a weakness in and is taking steps to improve.

The problem is: there is never any detail provided for HOW he's "working on that".

Good goals are ALWAYS measurable. You should be able to say "yes I accomplished this because" or "no I didn't accomplish this because". Black and white.

It's not enough to say "I'm working on math/business/emotions/hygiene". What are the exact steps you're taking to work on these areas?

I am working on it and since hygiene is something that comes up often I'll address it. I trim my nails more often and I shower more and shave more.

My emotions and impulses: I already said that I know look at gpa, triple check before I buy and see if I can get a better deal.

QUANTIFY YOUR GOALS!!!

Don't say "I'll trim my nails more". Say "I'll trim my nails every Monday and Thursday". That way, you can look back after a month and say "yes I definitely made my goal" or "no I didn't make my goal".

See the difference?

The phrase "I'm working on emotions" means nothing. Which specific emotions are you working on and what exactly are you doing to improve them? In a month's time, how can you tell if you've improved or not? Again, make it quantifiable.

I'm improving them but taking a deep breath if I get excited, count to 10 and look at it again

Then I check gpa to see if it's a good deal and if I see if I can buy it anywhere else for a better price

Finally after I check again to make sure that it's the right comic and grade I buy it.

Someone else is going to have to field this for me. I have no words.

Yes I agree most of those comics are movie based books but that's what sells unless it's some key or something scarce. Two of those comics actually got lost that's why you see a zero beside them. I haven't counted my wins but I know that the losses really took out a chunk of what I made.

look at the math again- the way you are running your business - they are selling for a loss the MAJORITY OF THE TIME

90% of your hype deals end up with you losing money

90%

in school - this would be an A- ....... in losing money

Hype books sell - so do others.

Ebay --- sales of thousands of comics every day.

a couple of books I sold in the last week -

green lantern 29 VG 1st etch a sketch guy

batman 161 GD the 15 1/2th appearance of bat mite....

X Men 25 FN/VF el tigre baby!!!!!!

None of these books sets the world on fire. Nothing special. But they all sold.

How long did it take to sell those comics you had?

I do not keep track of that in general --- a long time ago I showed you my listing strategy. Basically - I monitor how long a book has been at a given price point. If I feel it has been sitting too long - I drop the price. I track how long it has been since the last price adjustment - not how long a book has been sitting.

If you keep the store full up with books - have good listings, grade fairly, price fairly- the sales will come.

Before that - you have to make good buying decisions. Well before you list.

By full - you need to be able to manage 100+ listings.

I sort of do what you do in regards to how you sell a comic. If I comic has been sitting too long, is a chunk of my money or has a price adjustment I sell those first if I can.

Ok thanks.

If you're talking about how I spell ok it's how I always spell it.

QUANTIFY YOUR GOALS!!!

See the difference?

Someone else is going to have to field this for me. I have no words.

Yes it's not how you would do things but it how I do things.

Ok thanks.

I was talking about "finacial" in the new title.

Ok thanks.

Hey I didn't type that :P

Edited by uchiha101

Comics sold

DC presents 26

At the risk of bruising my "out" status, it would be enlightening if you provided the details of your transactions (i.e. purchase price, fees, selling price at the very least).

Sure I got it for free and sold it for 110 usd and yes that's all after fees as it was sold at my lcs

Edited by uchiha101

Ok thanks.

Comics sold

DC presents 26

At the risk of bruising my "out" status, it would be enlightening if you provided the details of your transactions (i.e. purchase price, fees, selling price at the very least).

Sure I got it for free and sold it for 110 usd and yes that's all after fees as it was sold at my lcs

Finally, a book you didn't overpay for ;)

That's enough money to buy another Darth Vader #3 9.8 :wishluck:

I'm a little confused where the potential profit is on the Darth Vader 3 CGC 9.8 when $75 is the all time high.

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-11%20at%2012.10.52%20AM_zpsfuznp6ba.png

From a page back he said:

"It was the regular version not the variant and I bought it because it was a good deal, I didn't listen to my friend when he told me I should have bought thor 133 CGC 9.8 X2 and 9.6 x3 and I lost lots of money by not doing that so I'm going to listen this time."

Sooo apparently his "friend" told him to buy it? Or Gabe was worried about being 'left behind' all on his own and wants to 'cash in' when Aphra hits it 'big time'?

I wonder if this was the same "friend" he is in a "competition" with to see who can make more money flipping comics...

If he paid GPA high for that book and considers it a "good deal".... doh!

I hope for his sake it becomes hot and triples in value.

Unfortunately I don't think the character of Darth Vader is going to spike in value. He has kind of already had his moment and I'm pretty sure he is the most well known villain on the planet. I would suggest you sell the book immediately and try to recoup some of what you paid.

Just take a look at what the cheapest prices are for the 9.8's now 90-100 and the 1:25 variants yesterday were 50-75 now they're 90-100+ and we have someone asking 400 OBO for his 9.8 so I'm curious to see if it will sell.

Asking prices are not selling prices.

If you paid $75 + $12 shipping, admittedly over GPA, you're waiting a long while to make any profit. On the plus side, you cashed someone else out of their copy.

Just out of curiosity, say we accept your argument that the $75 purchase price came out of the Star Wars #1 sale, what pot of gold did the $12 shipping come out of? That alone exceeded your $11 budget.

The 12 dollars shipping is out of the video games I've sold because I sold about 120 dollars worth right now and even if I haven't had that money I would have been able to save it.

Translation: screw the budget.

It's my exception to the rule and I'm not going crazy like I used to.

Gabe - you are showing classic signs of addiction.

You kept to a budget for what - 2 weeks?

Making up excuses for removing limits - is what an addict does. An alcoholic - cannot drink in moderation. They may set limits - and may even stick to them for a short period of time - but the addiction is too strong and then they start making excuses for going over.

Hey - Saturday night is for partying.....

Just warming up for Saturday night.....

just waking up on Saturday ,,,, need to recover from Friday night.....

You are doing the same thing -making up excuses to remove your limits - and continue the risky behavior. The good thing ( I guess) - is that you are not risking anything other than your own money and future.

Comics sold

DC presents 26

Finally, a book you didn't overpay for ;)

That's enough money to buy another Darth Vader #3 9.8 :wishluck:

I have a couple other comics I got for free so I'll be cosigning those as well.

Can I get an update on whose out?

I see people post this from time to time but then they are back. I'm going to get on those people as I feel they are probably easier to convince not to come back

Out

Reveat

Red84

Mysterio

batman1fan

8 8