• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

I'm a little confused where the potential profit is on the Darth Vader 3 CGC 9.8 when $75 is the all time high.

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-11%20at%2012.10.52%20AM_zpsfuznp6ba.png

From a page back he said:

"It was the regular version not the variant and I bought it because it was a good deal, I didn't listen to my friend when he told me I should have bought thor 133 CGC 9.8 X2 and 9.6 x3 and I lost lots of money by not doing that so I'm going to listen this time."

Sooo apparently his "friend" told him to buy it? Or Gabe was worried about being 'left behind' all on his own and wants to 'cash in' when Aphra hits it 'big time'?

I wonder if this was the same "friend" he is in a "competition" with to see who can make more money flipping comics...

If he paid GPA high for that book and considers it a "good deal".... doh!

I hope for his sake it becomes hot and triples in value.

Unfortunately I don't think the character of Darth Vader is going to spike in value. He has kind of already had his moment and I'm pretty sure he is the most well known villain on the planet. I would suggest you sell the book immediately and try to recoup some of what you paid.

Just take a look at what the cheapest prices are for the 9.8's now 90-100 and the 1:25 variants yesterday were 50-75 now they're 90-100+ and we have someone asking 400

OBO for his 9.8 so I'm curious to see if it will sell.

People can ask whatever they want. What matters is what something sells for. You should know this by now. I would suggest you stop asking this friend for advice.

I realize that and have checked the sold listings but it's simple if people have no choice but to but what's already listed at a higher price they will and that will make the comic rise in value as it's already been doing.

No.

No what? You don't think people will buy the comic at I higher price? I do and it will since people will buy based on hype and emotions as I've done before, I'm not saying my emotions are perfect but I'm getting better with my impulses

I'm a little confused where the potential profit is on the Darth Vader 3 CGC 9.8 when $75 is the all time high.

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-11%20at%2012.10.52%20AM_zpsfuznp6ba.png

From a page back he said:

"It was the regular version not the variant and I bought it because it was a good deal, I didn't listen to my friend when he told me I should have bought thor 133 CGC 9.8 X2 and 9.6 x3 and I lost lots of money by not doing that so I'm going to listen this time."

Sooo apparently his "friend" told him to buy it? Or Gabe was worried about being 'left behind' all on his own and wants to 'cash in' when Aphra hits it 'big time'?

I wonder if this was the same "friend" he is in a "competition" with to see who can make more money flipping comics...

If he paid GPA high for that book and considers it a "good deal".... doh!

I hope for his sake it becomes hot and triples in value.

Unfortunately I don't think the character of Darth Vader is going to spike in value. He has kind of already had his moment and I'm pretty sure he is the most well known villain on the planet. I would suggest you sell the book immediately and try to recoup some of what you paid.

Just take a look at what the cheapest prices are for the 9.8's now 90-100 and the 1:25 variants yesterday were 50-75 now they're 90-100+ and we have someone asking 400

OBO for his 9.8 so I'm curious to see if it will sell.

People can ask whatever they want. What matters is what something sells for. You should know this by now. I would suggest you stop asking this friend for advice.

I realize that and have checked the sold listings but it's simple if people have no choice but to but what's already listed at a higher price they will and that will make the comic rise in value as it's already been doing.

No.

No what? You don't think people will buy the comic at I higher price? I do and it will since people will buy based on hype and emotions as I've done before, I'm not saying my emotions are perfect but I'm getting better with my impulses

No, people don't automatically pay higher prices just because asking prices go up. Your market analysis is flawed. Your business plan of selling to people who get sucked into hype and buy impulsively is flawed. Especially when you're buying into hype and buying books at GPA highs in the hope that they double and you can squeak a profit.

This behavior is exactly what you said you'd get control of. This purchase is exhibit A that you are paying lip service to getting better with impulses. How do you think you're doing that exactly?

Comics Sold

Star wars 1

Comics bought

Darth vader 3 CGC 9.8

Was the Darth Vader #3 only $11, or has that gone out the window already? I haven't been hanging on every post lately, so maybe that has changed...

Nope that's the one I bought for 75 dollars but I sold my star wars 1 for the exact price.

So the pretzel logic is that it's okay to spend over your weekly budget as long as the purchase is funded by a recent sale?

No it's not pretzel logic, one of my other problems I've had is buying too much and not selling enough. I will still keep to the budget but I will make a exception if I sell something I can buy something and if I don't sell anything then I don't buy anything but used the money I've saved up.

1c5l45.jpg

Gabe, after 2 and a half years, every conceivable piece of advice has been given to you, and you summarily have ignored 99.9% of it. There is nothing more that anyone here on the boards can do for you. The help you need has to come from a professional counselor of some sort. It's gotten to the point where this thread is just sad, as everyone watches you self destruct. I wish you luck in getting your life in order, but I do not wish you luck in your comic flipping, because no amount of luck is going to help you with something that you are clearly terrible at and have no aptitude for. In my opinion, the best thing that could happen for you is if EVERYONE stopped posting in this thread. At least then, you might seek help from a professional who can help you. Every piece of advice from boardies that could possibly help you is already in this thread, a lot of it multiple times. If you haven't grasped it by now, you're not going to. Good luck to you, Gabe, I hope that you can get to a point where you are successful and happy, either with or without comics. On that final note, once and for all I'm out. Please add my name to the OUT list.

For the Vader #3, what is a "good price"? How much was the shipping?

He said he paid $75 for it...I really hope that included shipping.

Not according to recent completed sales search on eBay...

For the one sold today by hitcomics for $75 USD, shipping to Canada (I'm from Canada) is quoted at $29.81 USD via Global Ship Program.

He gets the stuff shipped to a friend in the USA and then they send him a box at another time (shrug) .

Well, it is still going to cost him some $ for him to have it shipped to his buddy and then for his buddy to ship it to him...I can't see his "pal' doing all that for free...?

No it wouldn't be free that's why it will stay at his house and he'll sell it for me for a fee, I wanted to get the darth vader 3 before prices went up and copies dried up on ebay.

Good to see it wasn't a decision based on any emotion and just on pure logic :insane:

For the Vader #3, what is a "good price"? How much was the shipping?

He said he paid $75 for it...I really hope that included shipping.

Not according to recent completed sales search on eBay...

For the one sold today by hitcomics for $75 USD, shipping to Canada (I'm from Canada) is quoted at $29.81 USD via Global Ship Program.

He gets the stuff shipped to a friend in the USA and then they send him a box at another time (shrug) .

Well, it is still going to cost him some $ for him to have it shipped to his buddy and then for his buddy to ship it to him...I can't see his "pal' doing all that for free...?

No it wouldn't be free that's why it will stay at his house and he'll sell it for me for a fee, I wanted to get the darth vader 3 before prices went up and copies dried up on ebay.

Good to see it wasn't a decision based on any emotion and just on pure logic :insane:

Yep, buying at a new GPA high but before prices went up!

doh! Forgot I was out.

Edited by mysterio

Also, you bought the book for $87 total, hoping you can sell it for $150. Minus fees or whatever % you give to your friend to sell it for you plus shipping, what kind of profit are you looking at? Do the math Gabe. This is only a "good deal" if you're dealing in volume, which you're not.

Still, I suppose a minor profit is better than a big loss.

Gabe the comic landscape is littered with books that were going to be huge then not. The time to buy this book was at cover price when it came out. Yes this is at least within the Star Wars franchise but is Aphra going to be the next Luke or Han or Leia or Rey? Who knows. A new movie character could appear on screen and they get the green light or Aphra may just be "meh" and all the talk of solo movies and/or series go poof. Then what? How long are you willing to sit on yet ANOTHER book?

Gabe the comic landscape is littered with books that were going to be huge then not. The time to buy this book was at cover price when it came out. Yes this is at least within the Star Wars franchise but is Aphra going to be the next Luke or Han or Leia or Rey? Who knows. A new movie character could appear on screen and they get the green light or Aphra may just be "meh" and all the talk of solo movies and/or series go poof. Then what? How long are you willing to sit on yet ANOTHER book?

How long is he willing to sit on a book to maybe make $50?

$50 is an OK profit on a single book if you're dealing in volume which Gabe obviously isn't. $50 IMHO is not worth it to sit on something for a year waiting for it to pop. I can think of 10 books off the top of my head that would be a cheaper investment and have as much or better potential to make more than a $50 bump.

I'd love to know who this friend is who has all this inside info.

How long is he willing to sit on a book to maybe make $50?

$50 is an OK profit on a single book if you're dealing in volume which Gabe obviously isn't. $50 IMHO is not worth it to sit on something for a year waiting for it to pop. I can think of 10 books off the top of my head that would be a cheaper investment and have as much or better potential to make more than a $50 bump.

I'd love to know who this friend is who has all this inside info.

George Lucas.

Comics Sold

Star wars 1

Comics bought

Darth vader 3 CGC 9.8

Was the Darth Vader #3 only $11, or has that gone out the window already? I haven't been hanging on every post lately, so maybe that has changed...

Nope that's the one I bought for 75 dollars but I sold my star wars 1 for the exact price.

So the pretzel logic is that it's okay to spend over your weekly budget as long as the purchase is funded by a recent sale?

No it's not pretzel logic, one of my other problems I've had is buying too much and not selling enough. I will still keep to the budget but I will make a exception if I sell something I can buy something and if I don't sell anything then I don't buy anything but used the money I've saved up.

that's called not keeping to a budget -

the budget is there for you to make low risk decisions and LEARN

not make exceptions when you think paying above GPA is a good idea.......

I'm going to point out a few things as you did to me. That star wars comic I sold was a 5.0/5.5 raw and with it's spine I don't see it getting much of a grade bump, second I wouldn't want to put any more time and money into that book. The next thing you said was that a[hra won't be in any movies at all or ever.

Her upcoming solo movie will be in december and the announcement should be sometime next week and my friend hasn't steered me wrong yet and he was the one that bought those 3 copies for 67 dollars.

I have another star wars 1 comic but I'll say this I don't think like you do because if I make a deal I count what I spent and I don't see the future value of a 5.0/5.5 star wars reaching 200 graded imo. Also, I don't count money I haven't spent because I wouldn't have pressed and graded it anyway.

Pressing and dry cleaning honestly I'm afriad of screwing up that's why I send the comics to people I trust and I final note I'm going to watch that star wars comics to see who's right.

how do you know the sold SW1 was a 5.0/5.5

Comics Sold

Star wars 1

Comics bought

Darth vader 3 CGC 9.8

The good thing is he probably won't lose a lot of money on this deal.

I will admit to finding it a bit amusing that he insists this was purely a logic based decision, when it is so obviously based on emotion. Why else would he feel the need to jump through hoops to justify breaking his self imposed budget ( to help him learn)?

Look at all the hoops he jumps through to justify buying the book in the first place.

I'm going to point out a few things as you did to me. That star wars comic I sold was a 5.0/5.5 raw and with it's spine I don't see it getting much of a grade bump, second I wouldn't want to put any more time and money into that book. The next thing you said was that a[hra won't be in any movies at all or ever.

Her upcoming solo movie will be in december and the announcement should be sometime next week and my friend hasn't steered me wrong yet and he was the one that bought those 3 copies for 67 dollars.

I have another star wars 1 comic but I'll say this I don't think like you do because if I make a deal I count what I spent and I don't see the future value of a 5.0/5.5 star wars reaching 200 graded imo. Also, I don't count money I haven't spent because I wouldn't have pressed and graded it anyway.

Pressing and dry cleaning honestly I'm afriad of screwing up that's why I send the comics to people I trust and I final note I'm going to watch that star wars comics to see who's right.

how do you know the sold SW1 was a 5.0/5.5

That's a fair question considering he has not shown an ability to grade books.

Comics Sold

Star wars 1

Comics bought

Darth vader 3 CGC 9.8

The good thing is he probably won't lose a lot of money on this deal.

I will admit to finding it a bit amusing that he insists this was purely a logic based decision, when it is so obviously based on emotion. Why else would he feel the need to jump through hoops to justify breaking his self imposed budget ( to help him learn)?

Look at all the hoops he jumps through to justify buying the book in the first place.

Yea --- he keeps using his own form of logic to justify the purchases--- just really want to state simply to hm - that the budget is shot if he does not follow it.

I used to see the same behavior from poker playing buddies - who kept playing over their heads. I used to play online a lot- knew a bunch of people who kept trying to move up in buy-ins --- to "get back" losses quicker. All kinds of lame justifications used to justify the poor moves.

Gabe somehow thinks he has to jump on every movie bandwagon ( or hint of one) or he will fail. He gets panicky. Feels he has to have the book no matter what, then pays OVER FMV for it.

The real truth is that modeling a business after someone like ft88 can result in steady cash - and the ability to build a larger inventory of books. Then when something hits - you might already have the book. Or at least - you have built knowledge and contacts that might lead you to reasonable priced ones to flip.

The phrase that keeps getting repeated over and over that's killing me is "I'm working on that". This refers to any area Gabe feels he has a weakness in and is taking steps to improve.

The problem is: there is never any detail provided for HOW he's "working on that".

Good goals are ALWAYS measurable. You should be able to say "yes I accomplished this because" or "no I didn't accomplish this because". Black and white.

It's not enough to say "I'm working on math/business/emotions/hygiene". What are the exact steps you're taking to work on these areas?

Hygiene should be the easiest to work on and improve immediately.

1) Shower every day / wash hair

2) Clip nails once a week, or better yet take some of that flipping money and get a manicure, or get your sister to give you one.

3) Shave every day / every other day.

4) Put on deodorant and clean clothes.

I think those goals would be fairly easy to accomplish right away.

When I hear "I'm working on it" for the above I read it as " I'm not doing any of it".

8 8