• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

Comics Sold

Star wars 1

Comics bought

Darth vader 3 CGC 9.8

Was the Darth Vader #3 only $11, or has that gone out the window already? I haven't been hanging on every post lately, so maybe that has changed...

Nope that's the one I bought for 75 dollars but I sold my star wars 1 for the exact price.

So the pretzel logic is that it's okay to spend over your weekly budget as long as the purchase is funded by a recent sale?

No it's not pretzel logic, one of my other problems I've had is buying too much and not selling enough. I will still keep to the budget but I will make a exception if I sell something I can buy something and if I don't sell anything then I don't buy anything but used the money I've saved up.

that's called not keeping to a budget -

the budget is there for you to make low risk decisions and LEARN

not make exceptions when you think paying above GPA is a good idea.......

Well he said I paid over gpa but it will be worth it and I have sold comics as well so I add that to what I have

I'm going to point out a few things as you did to me. That star wars comic I sold was a 5.0/5.5 raw and with it's spine I don't see it getting much of a grade bump, second I wouldn't want to put any more time and money into that book. The next thing you said was that a[hra won't be in any movies at all or ever.

Her upcoming solo movie will be in december and the announcement should be sometime next week and my friend hasn't steered me wrong yet and he was the one that bought those 3 copies for 67 dollars.

I have another star wars 1 comic but I'll say this I don't think like you do because if I make a deal I count what I spent and I don't see the future value of a 5.0/5.5 star wars reaching 200 graded imo. Also, I don't count money I haven't spent because I wouldn't have pressed and graded it anyway.

Pressing and dry cleaning honestly I'm afriad of screwing up that's why I send the comics to people I trust and I final note I'm going to watch that star wars comics to see who's right.

how do you know the sold SW1 was a 5.0/5.5

The comic looked nice but it's spine was flattened and pulled to one side, I'll see if I can find a scan

I should have screenshotted.

Seriously, two weeks, come back to 901 unread posts. In this thread. Alone.

Gabe, you have to find a way to monetize your fail, then you can go from fail to win.

Comics Sold

Star wars 1

Comics bought

Darth vader 3 CGC 9.8

Was the Darth Vader #3 only $11, or has that gone out the window already? I haven't been hanging on every post lately, so maybe that has changed...

Nope that's the one I bought for 75 dollars but I sold my star wars 1 for the exact price.

So the pretzel logic is that it's okay to spend over your weekly budget as long as the purchase is funded by a recent sale?

No it's not pretzel logic, one of my other problems I've had is buying too much and not selling enough. I will still keep to the budget but I will make a exception if I sell something I can buy something and if I don't sell anything then I don't buy anything but used the money I've saved up.

The good thing is he probably won't lose a lot of money on this deal.

I will admit to finding it a bit amusing that he insists this was purely a logic based decision, when it is so obviously based on emotion. Why else would he feel the need to jump through hoops to justify breaking his self imposed budget ( to help him learn)?

Look at all the hoops he jumps through to justify buying the book in the first place.

Well simple put I trust him, he told me about hench girl 1, Thor 133, NYX 3 and 4 and he told me to buy avengers stuff three months before it came out I ended doubling up my money on it.

I'm going to point out a few things as you did to me. That star wars comic I sold was a 5.0/5.5 raw and with it's spine I don't see it getting much of a grade bump, second I wouldn't want to put any more time and money into that book. The next thing you said was that a[hra won't be in any movies at all or ever.

Her upcoming solo movie will be in december and the announcement should be sometime next week and my friend hasn't steered me wrong yet and he was the one that bought those 3 copies for 67 dollars.

I have another star wars 1 comic but I'll say this I don't think like you do because if I make a deal I count what I spent and I don't see the future value of a 5.0/5.5 star wars reaching 200 graded imo. Also, I don't count money I haven't spent because I wouldn't have pressed and graded it anyway.

Pressing and dry cleaning honestly I'm afriad of screwing up that's why I send the comics to people I trust and I final note I'm going to watch that star wars comics to see who's right.

how do you know the sold SW1 was a 5.0/5.5

That's a fair question considering he has not shown an ability to grade books.

I'll try to find pics

Comics Sold

Star wars 1

Comics bought

Darth vader 3 CGC 9.8

I will admit to finding it a bit amusing that he insists this was purely a logic based decision, when it is so obviously based on emotion. Why else would he feel the need to jump through hoops to justify breaking his self imposed budget ( to help him learn)?

Look at all the hoops he jumps through to justify buying the book in the first place.

Yea --- he keeps using his own form of logic to justify the purchases--- just really want to state simply to hm - that the budget is shot if he does not follow it.

I used to see the same behavior from poker playing buddies - who kept playing over their heads. I used to play online a lot- knew a bunch of people who kept trying to move up in buy-ins --- to "get back" losses quicker. All kinds of lame justifications used to justify the poor moves.

Gabe somehow thinks he has to jump on every movie bandwagon ( or hint of one) or he will fail. He gets panicky. Feels he has to have the book no matter what, then pays OVER FMV for it.

The real truth is that modeling a business after someone like ft88 can result in steady cash - and the ability to build a larger inventory of books. Then when something hits - you might already have the book. Or at least - you have built knowledge and contacts that might lead you to reasonable priced ones to flip.

This wasn't a emotional purchase and I buy comic from people but I don't really make contacts because I buy once or twice and that's it, I never consistently bought from one person.

The phrase that keeps getting repeated over and over that's killing me is "I'm working on that". This refers to any area Gabe feels he has a weakness in and is taking steps to improve.

The problem is: there is never any detail provided for HOW he's "working on that".

Good goals are ALWAYS measurable. You should be able to say "yes I accomplished this because" or "no I didn't accomplish this because". Black and white.

It's not enough to say "I'm working on math/business/emotions/hygiene". What are the exact steps you're taking to work on these areas?

I am working on it and since hygiene is something that comes up often I'll address it. I trim my nails more often and I shower more and shave more.

My emotions and impulses: I already said that I know look at gpa, triple check before I buy and see if I can get a better deal.

Hygiene should be the easiest to work on and improve immediately.

1) Shower every day / wash hair

2) Clip nails once a week, or better yet take some of that flipping money and get a manicure, or get your sister to give you one.

3) Shave every day / every other day.

4) Put on deodorant and clean clothes.

I think those goals would be fairly easy to accomplish right away.

When I hear "I'm working on it" for the above I read it as " I'm not doing any of it".

I already do that but showering and shaving everyday because my skin becomes really dry and red.

Comics Sold

Star wars 1

Comics bought

Darth vader 3 CGC 9.8

Yea --- he keeps using his own form of logic to justify the purchases--- just really want to state simply to hm - that the budget is shot if he does not follow it.

I used to see the same behavior from poker playing buddies - who kept playing over their heads. I used to play online a lot- knew a bunch of people who kept trying to move up in buy-ins --- to "get back" losses quicker. All kinds of lame justifications used to justify the poor moves.

Gabe somehow thinks he has to jump on every movie bandwagon ( or hint of one) or he will fail. He gets panicky. Feels he has to have the book no matter what, then pays OVER FMV for it.

The real truth is that modeling a business after someone like ft88 can result in steady cash - and the ability to build a larger inventory of books. Then when something hits - you might already have the book. Or at least - you have built knowledge and contacts that might lead you to reasonable priced ones to flip.

This wasn't a emotional purchase and I buy comic from people but I don't really make contacts because I buy once or twice and that's it, I never consistently bought from one person.

Making contacts and building relationships is very important. When you find a quality seller you want to ask what else they have and keep buying.

Gosh I want to quit this thread so badly, but cannot. I also want to shout so many negative and positive things at the OP that I'm just so confused. I don't know what I'm rooting for...success or failure.

Nearly every day I log on here hoping for some breakthrough, but it's just the same crud over and over again. I cannot fathom living like this...hustling every day, never succeeding. And now we're breaking our own rules that were set to help us succeed! Ugh.

How do you expect to get anywhere in life doing this?? Don't you want something better for yourself? It's madness. But also, good for you for believing in something. Go get 'em tiger. ARGH!!

Also, just as a side note...I'm not sure the emotions excuse flies with me. I've considered it ever since coming into this thread some odd year or so ago and we all face temptations and deal with hype in this hobby. I could be wrong though, maybe it is an actual disorder...but mainly I just think it's a lack of discipline and maturity. But again, I certainly don't know the OP or truly understand how he lives. I do know that I'd never purchase anything from him though. This journal has sealed that deal.

Good luck to you, I think.

Yes,I do have problems and I've said I'm addressing my emotions. You also say you've seen enough yet all you've seen is my mistakes nothing noteworthy yet. Also if you don't want to buy from me I understand since you all see me as someone not to be taken seriously.

Well, Gabe .. it's been a rollercoaster-ride watching you ignoring advice from boardies with decades of experience, while taking advice from .. your friend.

If he was my friend, I'd summarily kick his ass .. the advice he's giving you is worthless.

It seems to me that you're content to go your own way and not learn or improve yourself. There's nothing that anyone says that you actually take on board and use to your benefit. Can you see yourself getting deeper into the hole? I can .. and it's saddening.

For that reason ...

Janet .... count me OUT. For good. OUT OUT.

I hope you eventually get the help you need, Gabe. I hope you find a job. I hope you no-longer use your disability as a crutch (oh, yes you do) and I hope you find your place in the world, stand tall, act like a man and make decisions based on common-sense, not impulsiveness.

.. and I sincerely hope you stop chasing your million dollar dream .. it's not working for you. Really isn't working for you. Really. 1000%. Not. Working.

Bye, Gabe. Good luck.

Ok let's go with that then. What will you say if my friend is right then? Because I wasn't doing this on impulse but in trusting his word. Thanks for being here though.

Comics Sold

Star wars 1

Comics bought

Darth vader 3 CGC 9.8

The most you can pay for a slabbed 9.8 book with a GPA average of around $65...is about half of that i.e. cover price + slabbing fees.

Even then, putting that $30+ into slabbing a book that is worth $100 or more is much more worthwhile.

I would have paid $35 for that book, already in a CGC 9.8 slab.No more.

Your logic of your friend advising you on the the 1st X-23 and 1st Alpha is just not comparable.The Vader book was a hot book about 6+ months ago.

SW books are cold and will stay cold intil the next SW movie comes out.

When will Alpha ever be tied into a SW movie?

This Christmas or the following SW movie in 2018?

If the character is used in a movie, at all.

If the character is used in a movie, you'll have to wait intil this Christmas or for the 2018 SW movie, to sell the book for a dollar to make any profit whatsoever on it.

Let me reinterate that X-23 will be in Wolverine 3 and Alpha...maybe never.

DV 3 is a decent book to buy, but only if you can get a solid 9.8 raw at cover price.

And in order to take a ridiculous gamble on paying $75 (+ shipping) for a common as Hell modern, you sold a SW 1, which will just about certainly see an increase in price as the SW movie in 2 months comes out.

How sharp was the SW that you sold for $75?

Odds are that putting $35 (grading/fast tracked fees) into the SW 1 that you sold for $75 would have grossed you $200.....so, theoretically, you lost about $100 from dumping your SW 1 raw at $75...and then you compounded that loss by putting about $100 (shipped) into a pretty cold/common modern that routinely sells for about $65.

So you are at -$100 from the SW 1 transaction aaaaaand, tack on another -$100 for the CV 3 CGC 9.8 transaction.

Last 2 comic transactions = $200 in the hole.

If you insist on "trying" to be a comic dealer, this is what I'd suggest.

Do not buy anymore comics for a good while.

Sell some books ASAP.

Take those proceeds and buy some dry cleaning supplies and a Jumbo Seal 210.

Learn how to dry clean & press books, that is the best advice I can give to anyone who wants to make money selling books, who does not have a large bankroll to use as capital.

Dry cleaning & pressing does require a metric ton of patience, but learning a trade like this will do you a lot of good.

If you had known how to press books, you could have had pressed the SW 1 yourself (while saving $40+ on fast tracked pressing fees and cut out the 1 month pressing service lag time...slabbed the SW 1 and then you may have had a $300+ book in your hands, instead of a $75 raw copy.

Instead..............you sold a raw bronze age key in order to buy, what is arguably a waste of money, a $75 ($100 shipped) CGC 9.8 run of the mill modern.

Do you have a link to the SW pics?

If it couldn;t be bumped up to a 9.0 or better, than $75 is a good sale i.e. if it was a run of the mill 5.0/5.5 than $75 for a VG/FN is a solid sale.

For the rest, see my response below.

Is anyone else seeing a change in Gabe's behavior after all his talk about getting himself under control? I'm not, and I'm content to sit back and :popcorn: for his future adventures without throwing any more advice down the black hole.

Speaking of advice, CAK made a few good points and the followed it up with perhaps the most ludicrous advice offered in the thread so far. So :golfclap: to that.

I am absolutely sure that Gabe does not have a grasp on the comic market, the value of a dollar and (insert multiple other things here).

If he actually invested his time into learning a valuable skill, which would benefit him directly, he'd be much better off....than getting second hand intelligence from a friend of his and getting sound advice in this thread ( which several boardies have repeated on several occasions)....he has either been unable to comprehend and/or has just flat out ignored 99% of the advice given in this thread.

Dry cleaning & pressing books would have him handling books on a daily basis, he does not seem to be capable of getting/holding a job doing much of anything else.As this would have him around comics, that might be enough to hold his attention and getting those syanpses firing in his ADHD addled brain.I'm not talking down at Gabe, I have ADHD myself but I am productive.

Now, do I think he has the patience and mental acuity to learn how to dry clean & press books, to have a good understanding of paper mechanics within about a years' time?

No, I do not.

I do think it would be possible though, if something like dabbling with comics was able to forcibly re-wire his disordered thinking patterns.

Having Gabe grow as a person, which is what happens when one develops a pliable trade skill/graduates college/moves out of their parent's house (among other examples that can be used), is what the kid is in dire need of.

Not the endless mental masturbation that this thread eggs him onward with every additional reply.

It really is pretty sad, in all honesty.

I'll try to find a pic but trust me it's no 9.0

So the Star Wars movie announcement is coming at NYCC next week even though NYCC ended this past weekend?

From what I've been told either Halloween or FCBD

So either last weekend, next week, the end of the month or 7 months from now? That's a pretty tight window so make sure you sell when the hype reaches its peak.

Can I get an update on whose out?

I see people post this from time to time but then they are back. I'm going to get on those people as I feel they are probably easier to convince not to come back

Out

Reveat

Red84

Mysterio

batman1fan

Edited by jsilverjanet

8 8