• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

Gosh I want to quit this thread so badly, but cannot. I also want to shout so many negative and positive things at the OP that I'm just so confused. I don't know what I'm rooting for...success or failure.

Nearly every day I log on here hoping for some breakthrough, but it's just the same crud over and over again. I cannot fathom living like this...hustling every day, never succeeding. And now we're breaking our own rules that were set to help us succeed! Ugh.

How do you expect to get anywhere in life doing this?? Don't you want something better for yourself? It's madness. But also, good for you for believing in something. Go get 'em tiger. ARGH!!

Also, just as a side note...I'm not sure the emotions excuse flies with me. I've considered it ever since coming into this thread some odd year or so ago and we all face temptations and deal with hype in this hobby. I could be wrong though, maybe it is an actual disorder...but mainly I just think it's a lack of discipline and maturity. But again, I certainly don't know the OP or truly understand how he lives. I do know that I'd never purchase anything from him though. This journal has sealed that deal.

Good luck to you, I think.

Edited by Andahaion

Well, Gabe .. it's been a rollercoaster-ride watching you ignoring advice from boardies with decades of experience, while taking advice from .. your friend.

If he was my friend, I'd summarily kick his ass .. the advice he's giving you is worthless.

It seems to me that you're content to go your own way and not learn or improve yourself. There's nothing that anyone says that you actually take on board and use to your benefit. Can you see yourself getting deeper into the hole? I can .. and it's saddening.

For that reason ...

Janet .... count me OUT. For good. OUT OUT.

I hope you eventually get the help you need, Gabe. I hope you find a job. I hope you no-longer use your disability as a crutch (oh, yes you do) and I hope you find your place in the world, stand tall, act like a man and make decisions based on common-sense, not impulsiveness.

.. and I sincerely hope you stop chasing your million dollar dream .. it's not working for you. Really isn't working for you. Really. 1000%. Not. Working.

Bye, Gabe. Good luck.

Comics Sold

Star wars 1

Comics bought

Darth vader 3 CGC 9.8

Was the Darth Vader #3 only $11, or has that gone out the window already? I haven't been hanging on every post lately, so maybe that has changed...

Nope that's the one I bought for 75 dollars but I sold my star wars 1 for the exact price.

The most you can pay for a slabbed 9.8 book with a GPA average of around $65...is about half of that i.e. cover price + slabbing fees.

Even then, putting that $30+ into slabbing a book that is worth $100 or more is much more worthwhile.

I would have paid $35 for that book, already in a CGC 9.8 slab.No more.

Your logic of your friend advising you on the the 1st X-23 and 1st Alpha is just not comparable.The Vader book was a hot book about 6+ months ago.

SW books are cold and will stay cold intil the next SW movie comes out.

When will Alpha ever be tied into a SW movie?

This Christmas or the following SW movie in 2018?

If the character is used in a movie, at all.

If the character is used in a movie, you'll have to wait intil this Christmas or for the 2018 SW movie, to sell the book for a dollar to make any profit whatsoever on it.

Let me reinterate that X-23 will be in Wolverine 3 and Alpha...maybe never.

DV 3 is a decent book to buy, but only if you can get a solid 9.8 raw at cover price.

And in order to take a ridiculous gamble on paying $75 (+ shipping) for a common as Hell modern, you sold a SW 1, which will just about certainly see an increase in price as the SW movie in 2 months comes out.

How sharp was the SW that you sold for $75?

Odds are that putting $35 (grading/fast tracked fees) into the SW 1 that you sold for $75 would have grossed you $200.....so, theoretically, you lost about $100 from dumping your SW 1 raw at $75...and then you compounded that loss by putting about $100 (shipped) into a pretty cold/common modern that routinely sells for about $65.

So you are at -$100 from the SW 1 transaction aaaaaand, tack on another -$100 for the CV 3 CGC 9.8 transaction.

Last 2 comic transactions = $200 in the hole.

If you insist on "trying" to be a comic dealer, this is what I'd suggest.

Do not buy anymore comics for a good while.

Sell some books ASAP.

Take those proceeds and buy some dry cleaning supplies and a Jumbo Seal 210.

Learn how to dry clean & press books, that is the best advice I can give to anyone who wants to make money selling books, who does not have a large bankroll to use as capital.

Dry cleaning & pressing does require a metric ton of patience, but learning a trade like this will do you a lot of good.

If you had known how to press books, you could have had pressed the SW 1 yourself (while saving $40+ on fast tracked pressing fees and cut out the 1 month pressing service lag time...slabbed the SW 1 and then you may have had a $300+ book in your hands, instead of a $75 raw copy.

Instead..............you sold a raw bronze age key in order to buy, what is arguably a waste of money, a $75 ($100 shipped) CGC 9.8 run of the mill modern.

I'm going to point out a few things as you did to me. That star wars comic I sold was a 5.0/5.5 raw and with it's spine I don't see it getting much of a grade bump, second I wouldn't want to put any more time and money into that book. The next thing you said was that a[hra won't be in any movies at all or ever.

Her upcoming solo movie will be in december and the announcement should be sometime next week and my friend hasn't steered me wrong yet and he was the one that bought those 3 copies for 67 dollars.

I have another star wars 1 comic but I'll say this I don't think like you do because if I make a deal I count what I spent and I don't see the future value of a 5.0/5.5 star wars reaching 200 graded imo. Also, I don't count money I haven't spent because I wouldn't have pressed and graded it anyway.

Pressing and dry cleaning honestly I'm afriad of screwing up that's why I send the comics to people I trust and I final note I'm going to watch that star wars comics to see who's right.

Do you have a link to the SW pics?

If it couldn;t be bumped up to a 9.0 or better, than $75 is a good sale i.e. if it was a run of the mill 5.0/5.5 than $75 for a VG/FN is a solid sale.

For the rest, see my response below.

Is anyone else seeing a change in Gabe's behavior after all his talk about getting himself under control? I'm not, and I'm content to sit back and :popcorn: for his future adventures without throwing any more advice down the black hole.

Speaking of advice, CAK made a few good points and the followed it up with perhaps the most ludicrous advice offered in the thread so far. So :golfclap: to that.

I am absolutely sure that Gabe does not have a grasp on the comic market, the value of a dollar and (insert multiple other things here).

If he actually invested his time into learning a valuable skill, which would benefit him directly, he'd be much better off....than getting second hand intelligence from a friend of his and getting sound advice in this thread ( which several boardies have repeated on several occasions)....he has either been unable to comprehend and/or has just flat out ignored 99% of the advice given in this thread.

Dry cleaning & pressing books would have him handling books on a daily basis, he does not seem to be capable of getting/holding a job doing much of anything else.As this would have him around comics, that might be enough to hold his attention and getting those syanpses firing in his ADHD addled brain.I'm not talking down at Gabe, I have ADHD myself but I am productive.

Now, do I think he has the patience and mental acuity to learn how to dry clean & press books, to have a good understanding of paper mechanics within about a years' time?

No, I do not.

I do think it would be possible though, if something like dabbling with comics was able to forcibly re-wire his disordered thinking patterns.

Having Gabe grow as a person, which is what happens when one develops a pliable trade skill/graduates college/moves out of their parent's house (among other examples that can be used), is what the kid is in dire need of.

Not the endless mental masturbation that this thread eggs him onward with every additional reply.

It really is pretty sad, in all honesty.

I'm a little confused where the potential profit is on the Darth Vader 3 CGC 9.8 when $75 is the all time high.

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-11%20at%2012.10.52%20AM_zpsfuznp6ba.png

From a page back he said:

"It was the regular version not the variant and I bought it because it was a good deal, I didn't listen to my friend when he told me I should have bought thor 133 CGC 9.8 X2 and 9.6 x3 and I lost lots of money by not doing that so I'm going to listen this time."

Sooo apparently his "friend" told him to buy it? Or Gabe was worried about being 'left behind' all on his own and wants to 'cash in' when Aphra hits it 'big time'?

I wonder if this was the same "friend" he is in a "competition" with to see who can make more money flipping comics...

If he paid GPA high for that book and considers it a "good deal".... doh!

I hope for his sake it becomes hot and triples in value.

Unfortunately I don't think the character of Darth Vader is going to spike in value. He has kind of already had his moment and I'm pretty sure he is the most well known villain on the planet. I would suggest you sell the book immediately and try to recoup some of what you paid.

Just take a look at what the cheapest prices are for the 9.8's now 90-100 and the 1:25 variants yesterday were 50-75 now they're 90-100+ and we have someone asking 400 OBO for his 9.8 so I'm curious to see if it will sell.

Asking prices are not selling prices.

If you paid $75 + $12 shipping, admittedly over GPA, you're waiting a long while to make any profit. On the plus side, you cashed someone else out of their copy.

Just out of curiosity, say we accept your argument that the $75 purchase price came out of the Star Wars #1 sale, what pot of gold did the $12 shipping come out of? That alone exceeded your $11 budget.

The 12 dollars shipping is out of the video games I've sold because I sold about 120 dollars worth right now and even if I haven't had that money I would have been able to save it.

Translation: screw the budget.

It's my exception to the rule and I'm not going crazy like I used to.

Comics Sold

Star wars 1

Comics bought

Darth vader 3 CGC 9.8

Was the Darth Vader #3 only $11, or has that gone out the window already? I haven't been hanging on every post lately, so maybe that has changed...

Nope that's the one I bought for 75 dollars but I sold my star wars 1 for the exact price.

The most you can pay for a slabbed 9.8 book with a GPA average of around $65...is about half of that i.e. cover price + slabbing fees.

Even then, putting that $30+ into slabbing a book that is worth $100 or more is much more worthwhile.

I would have paid $35 for that book, already in a CGC 9.8 slab.No more.

Your logic of your friend advising you on the the 1st X-23 and 1st Alpha is just not comparable.The Vader book was a hot book about 6+ months ago.

SW books are cold and will stay cold intil the next SW movie comes out.

When will Alpha ever be tied into a SW movie?

This Christmas or the following SW movie in 2018?

If the character is used in a movie, at all.

If the character is used in a movie, you'll have to wait intil this Christmas or for the 2018 SW movie, to sell the book for a dollar to make any profit whatsoever on it.

Let me reinterate that X-23 will be in Wolverine 3 and Alpha...maybe never.

DV 3 is a decent book to buy, but only if you can get a solid 9.8 raw at cover price.

And in order to take a ridiculous gamble on paying $75 (+ shipping) for a common as Hell modern, you sold a SW 1, which will just about certainly see an increase in price as the SW movie in 2 months comes out.

How sharp was the SW that you sold for $75?

Odds are that putting $35 (grading/fast tracked fees) into the SW 1 that you sold for $75 would have grossed you $200.....so, theoretically, you lost about $100 from dumping your SW 1 raw at $75...and then you compounded that loss by putting about $100 (shipped) into a pretty cold/common modern that routinely sells for about $65.

So you are at -$100 from the SW 1 transaction aaaaaand, tack on another -$100 for the CV 3 CGC 9.8 transaction.

Last 2 comic transactions = $200 in the hole.

If you insist on "trying" to be a comic dealer, this is what I'd suggest.

Do not buy anymore comics for a good while.

Sell some books ASAP.

Take those proceeds and buy some dry cleaning supplies and a Jumbo Seal 210.

Learn how to dry clean & press books, that is the best advice I can give to anyone who wants to make money selling books, who does not have a large bankroll to use as capital.

Dry cleaning & pressing does require a metric ton of patience, but learning a trade like this will do you a lot of good.

If you had known how to press books, you could have had pressed the SW 1 yourself (while saving $40+ on fast tracked pressing fees and cut out the 1 month pressing service lag time...slabbed the SW 1 and then you may have had a $300+ book in your hands, instead of a $75 raw copy.

Instead..............you sold a raw bronze age key in order to buy, what is arguably a waste of money, a $75 ($100 shipped) CGC 9.8 run of the mill modern.

I'm going to point out a few things as you did to me. That star wars comic I sold was a 5.0/5.5 raw and with it's spine I don't see it getting much of a grade bump, second I wouldn't want to put any more time and money into that book. The next thing you said was that a[hra won't be in any movies at all or ever.

Her upcoming solo movie will be in december and the announcement should be sometime next week and my friend hasn't steered me wrong yet and he was the one that bought those 3 copies for 67 dollars.

I have another star wars 1 comic but I'll say this I don't think like you do because if I make a deal I count what I spent and I don't see the future value of a 5.0/5.5 star wars reaching 200 graded imo. Also, I don't count money I haven't spent because I wouldn't have pressed and graded it anyway.

Pressing and dry cleaning honestly I'm afriad of screwing up that's why I send the comics to people I trust and I final note I'm going to watch that star wars comics to see who's right.

Do you have a link to the SW pics?

If it couldn;t be bumped up to a 9.0 or better, than $75 is a good sale i.e. if it was a run of the mill 5.0/5.5 than $75 for a VG/FN is a solid sale.

For the rest, see my response below.

Is anyone else seeing a change in Gabe's behavior after all his talk about getting himself under control? I'm not, and I'm content to sit back and :popcorn: for his future adventures without throwing any more advice down the black hole.

Speaking of advice, CAK made a few good points and the followed it up with perhaps the most ludicrous advice offered in the thread so far. So :golfclap: to that.

I am absolutely sure that Gabe does not have a grasp on the comic market, the value of a dollar and (insert multiple other things here).

If he actually invested his time into learning a valuable skill, which would benefit him directly, he'd be much better off....than getting second hand intelligence from a friend of his and getting sound advice in this thread ( which several boardies have repeated on several occasions)....he has either been unable to comprehend and/or has just flat out ignored 99% of the advice given in this thread.

Dry cleaning & pressing books would have him handling books on a daily basis, he does not seem to be capable of getting/holding a job doing much of anything else.As this would have him around comics, that might be enough to hold his attention and getting those syanpses firing in his ADHD addled brain.I'm not talking down at Gabe, I have ADHD myself but I am productive.

Now, do I think he has the patience and mental acuity to learn how to dry clean & press books, to have a good understanding of paper mechanics within about a years' time?

No, I do not.

I do think it would be possible though, if something like dabbling with comics was able to forcibly re-wire his disordered thinking patterns.

Having Gabe grow as a person, which is what happens when one develops a pliable trade skill/graduates college/moves out of their parent's house (among other examples that can be used), is what the kid is in dire need of.

Not the endless mental masturbation that this thread eggs him onward with every additional reply.

It really is pretty sad, in all honesty.

Then we're on the same page. I don't disagree with your fundamental premise of bettering himself with a skill, I just think the realistic probability of this is somewhat less than me finding an Action #1 left under my pillow by the tooth fairy.

I'm a little confused where the potential profit is on the Darth Vader 3 CGC 9.8 when $75 is the all time high.

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-11%20at%2012.10.52%20AM_zpsfuznp6ba.png

From a page back he said:

"It was the regular version not the variant and I bought it because it was a good deal, I didn't listen to my friend when he told me I should have bought thor 133 CGC 9.8 X2 and 9.6 x3 and I lost lots of money by not doing that so I'm going to listen this time."

Sooo apparently his "friend" told him to buy it? Or Gabe was worried about being 'left behind' all on his own and wants to 'cash in' when Aphra hits it 'big time'?

I wonder if this was the same "friend" he is in a "competition" with to see who can make more money flipping comics...

If he paid GPA high for that book and considers it a "good deal".... doh!

I hope for his sake it becomes hot and triples in value.

Unfortunately I don't think the character of Darth Vader is going to spike in value. He has kind of already had his moment and I'm pretty sure he is the most well known villain on the planet. I would suggest you sell the book immediately and try to recoup some of what you paid.

Just take a look at what the cheapest prices are for the 9.8's now 90-100 and the 1:25 variants yesterday were 50-75 now they're 90-100+ and we have someone asking 400

OBO for his 9.8 so I'm curious to see if it will sell.

People can ask whatever they want. What matters is what something sells for. You should know this by now. I would suggest you stop asking this friend for advice.

I realize that and have checked the sold listings but it's simple if people have no choice but to but what's already listed at a higher price they will and that will make the comic rise in value as it's already been doing.

No.

No what? You don't think people will buy the comic at I higher price? I do and it will since people will buy based on hype and emotions as I've done before, I'm not saying my emotions are perfect but I'm getting better with my impulses

No, people don't automatically pay higher prices just because asking prices go up. Your market analysis is flawed. Your business plan of selling to people who get sucked into hype and buy impulsively is flawed. Especially when you're buying into hype and buying books at GPA highs in the hope that they double and you can squeak a profit.

This behavior is exactly what you said you'd get control of. This purchase is exhibit A that you are paying lip service to getting better with impulses. How do you think you're doing that exactly?

Then we agree to disagree because I've seen it before and I do know a thing or two about buying on hype, I know not all people will do it but it will be enough to raise prices. Second these prices are even before another annoucement and before a trailer drop. Third , I asked my friend about this ten times before I bought this comic and waited about three days, he said that I paid more then gpa but 100 will be the basement price.

Gabe, after 2 and a half years, every conceivable piece of advice has been given to you, and you summarily have ignored 99.9% of it. There is nothing more that anyone here on the boards can do for you. The help you need has to come from a professional counselor of some sort. It's gotten to the point where this thread is just sad, as everyone watches you self destruct. I wish you luck in getting your life in order, but I do not wish you luck in your comic flipping, because no amount of luck is going to help you with something that you are clearly terrible at and have no aptitude for. In my opinion, the best thing that could happen for you is if EVERYONE stopped posting in this thread. At least then, you might seek help from a professional who can help you. Every piece of advice from boardies that could possibly help you is already in this thread, a lot of it multiple times. If you haven't grasped it by now, you're not going to. Good luck to you, Gabe, I hope that you can get to a point where you are successful and happy, either with or without comics. On that final note, once and for all I'm out. Please add my name to the OUT list.

Ok thanks.

For the Vader #3, what is a "good price"? How much was the shipping?

He said he paid $75 for it...I really hope that included shipping.

Not according to recent completed sales search on eBay...

For the one sold today by hitcomics for $75 USD, shipping to Canada (I'm from Canada) is quoted at $29.81 USD via Global Ship Program.

He gets the stuff shipped to a friend in the USA and then they send him a box at another time (shrug) .

Well, it is still going to cost him some $ for him to have it shipped to his buddy and then for his buddy to ship it to him...I can't see his "pal' doing all that for free...?

No it wouldn't be free that's why it will stay at his house and he'll sell it for me for a fee, I wanted to get the darth vader 3 before prices went up and copies dried up on ebay.

Good to see it wasn't a decision based on any emotion and just on pure logic :insane:

Yes, because it was logic. After this it will be a period of undercutting so after the happens and the trailer is close to dropping what do you think will happen? Those that bought early will now have the advantage because they can set the market and even if many people won't buy enough will.

For the one sold today by hitcomics for $75 USD, shipping to Canada (I'm from Canada) is quoted at $29.81 USD via Global Ship Program.

He gets the stuff shipped to a friend in the USA and then they send him a box at another time (shrug) .

Well, it is still going to cost him some $ for him to have it shipped to his buddy and then for his buddy to ship it to him...I can't see his "pal' doing all that for free...?

No it wouldn't be free that's why it will stay at his house and he'll sell it for me for a fee, I wanted to get the darth vader 3 before prices went up and copies dried up on ebay.

Good to see it wasn't a decision based on any emotion and just on pure logic :insane:

Yep, buying at a new GPA high but before prices went up!

doh! Forgot I was out.

That's true but I'm confident that I'll make a profit on this.

Also, you bought the book for $87 total, hoping you can sell it for $150. Minus fees or whatever % you give to your friend to sell it for you plus shipping, what kind of profit are you looking at? Do the math Gabe. This is only a "good deal" if you're dealing in volume, which you're not.

Still, I suppose a minor profit is better than a big loss.

For fees it would be 4% plus $5 as that's what my friend charges me.

Ar the worst it would be 14.5%+ 5 but as I said before I don't want it shipped to me, however, the option is there.

Gabe the comic landscape is littered with books that were going to be huge then not. The time to buy this book was at cover price when it came out. Yes this is at least within the Star Wars franchise but is Aphra going to be the next Luke or Han or Leia or Rey? Who knows. A new movie character could appear on screen and they get the green light or Aphra may just be "meh" and all the talk of solo movies and/or series go poof. Then what? How long are you willing to sit on yet ANOTHER book?

When the book came out at cover price it wasn't available at my lcs and according to info she'll be announced at the nycc comic con.

doh! Forgot I was out.

Why?

Gabe the comic landscape is littered with books that were going to be huge then not. The time to buy this book was at cover price when it came out. Yes this is at least within the Star Wars franchise but is Aphra going to be the next Luke or Han or Leia or Rey? Who knows. A new movie character could appear on screen and they get the green light or Aphra may just be "meh" and all the talk of solo movies and/or series go poof. Then what? How long are you willing to sit on yet ANOTHER book?

How long is he willing to sit on a book to maybe make $50?

$50 is an OK profit on a single book if you're dealing in volume which Gabe obviously isn't. $50 IMHO is not worth it to sit on something for a year waiting for it to pop. I can think of 10 books off the top of my head that would be a cheaper investment and have as much or better potential to make more than a $50 bump.

I'd love to know who this friend is who has all this inside info.

I won't be waiting a year till this happens for sure and as for my friend I won't say but if you don't believe me what about a weeks time.

When the book came out at cover price it wasn't available at my lcs and according to info she'll be announced at the nycc comic con.

NYCC is over, where's the announcement?

doh! Forgot I was out.

Why?

According to my friend an announcement will be made at the NYCC panel that she's alive.

NYCC is over, where's the announcement?

Next week

doh! Forgot I was out.

Why?

According to my friend an announcement will be made at the NYCC panel that she's alive.

All this excitement to make a $50 profit...maybe. I'm tingling.

How long is he willing to sit on a book to maybe make $50?

$50 is an OK profit on a single book if you're dealing in volume which Gabe obviously isn't. $50 IMHO is not worth it to sit on something for a year waiting for it to pop. I can think of 10 books off the top of my head that would be a cheaper investment and have as much or better potential to make more than a $50 bump.

I'd love to know who this friend is who has all this inside info.

George Lucas.

No idea where he gets it but I don't care as long as I make money.

8 8