• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

This is like an advent calendar each time there is a new post its like getting a candy :banana:

No.

What we're doing at this point is picking on someone who is clearly handicapped. Posting here is akin to pouring oil on the track at a Special Olympics event, then standing back laughing and pointing as the participants fall on their faces.

Unabashed schadenfreude. Is that our guilty pleasure?

Or maybe some of you simply love to give advice, even if it continually falls on deaf ears?

I just hope that everyone is taking the time to check out the well-written, worthwhile journals on the board. There are plenty of them!

This is my forever goodbye to this thread.

Gabe, I don't wish bad for you. I hope you get it together one day.

Comics purchased

ST 157 Paid $13.50

Raw/Grade? Graded/Grade? Complete? Coverless? Did you go out and get candy last night?

Raw and complete about a 2.5/3.0 and no I wasn't allowed to get candy.

Personal or for resale?

Says who :sumo:

My mom did

Wait wait wait are you being serious here? That your mom had to tell you it is "not cool" for a 22 year old to go trick or treating????

She does watch the news more than I do myself so it's a safe bet trusting her.

Damn dude...you're just really sad.

No it's not I rather wait and be safe then have something happen to me over some quick decision.

You're an adult who was actually considering going out to go trick or treating on Halloween but your mom told you no? I understand you're slow and all that but that is just sad.

I honestly don't care that I'm 23 going out on Halloween is always fun and I don't know directions as well as my mom does.

It's not the going out on Halloween part that's sad it's that part that you're asking your mom if you can go trick or treating that's sad.

I go with her because she has a car.

Edited by uchiha101

Comics purchased

ST 157 Paid $13.50

Raw/Grade? Graded/Grade? Complete? Coverless? Did you go out and get candy last night?

Raw and complete about a 2.5/3.0 and no I wasn't allowed to get candy.

Personal or for resale?

Says who :sumo:

My mom did

Wait wait wait are you being serious here? That your mom had to tell you it is "not cool" for a 22 year old to go trick or treating????

She does watch the news more than I do myself so it's a safe bet trusting her.

Damn dude...you're just really sad.

No it's not I rather wait and be safe then have something happen to me over some quick decision.

You're an adult who was actually considering going out to go trick or treating on Halloween but your mom told you no? I understand you're slow and all that but that is just sad.

I honestly don't care that I'm 23 going out on Halloween is always fun and I don't know directions as well as my mom does.

It's not the going out on Halloween part that's sad it's that part that you're asking your mom if you can go trick or treating that's sad.

If you're not mature enough to make that decision for yourself clearly you're not too old to go trick or treating......

It's not that I can't it's that I choose not to

I'm tempted to say something sarcastic because you seem to have missed my point. But instead I will be direct: My point is that you overpaid. Again. I'm not saying the value won't increase, but how much do you expect the value to increase? Enough to make that buy worth it since you overpaid. Have you done any basic comparative trend analysis with similar books? Do you even know what that is or how to do it? What makes you think it will be worth your investment for the price you paid? How much did Strange Tales 126 go up with the 1st app of Clea and Dormammu in that grade? Or a similar book like 1st app Collector?

Do you realize that you still live in Canada which means you probably paid more for shipping to get the comic and will probably have to charge more for shipping to sell the comic and that reduces your realizable margins on BOTH ends? Especially since you already bought it about FMV?

Please stop buying comics, you will lose, and continue to lose until you get professional help for your issues, more education, or a full time job. Please stop assuming you'll 'figure it out' and 'learn as you go'. Has anything in your life been successful that way?

Its like thinking you can play hockey other than the fact that you can't skate. You WILL NOT LEARN HOW TO SKATE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE GAME. There will be occasions where you take a few steps in the right direction, but you'll either fall or get knocked down over and over and over. Which is not to say there isn't some amount of honor in continuing to get up after falling, just that its no good to anyone, including yourself. And people yelling from the sidelines won't help you skate any better either, no matter how well those people skate.

Please note that 'skating' in this scenario IS NOT BUYING AND SELLING CHEAPER COMICS OR COLLECTIBLES. Skating is gaining either through work (like at a job where people pay you) or education (organized school) actual business and analytical skills that will help you make logical, reasonable, basic, economic decisions. Learning to skate should not occur in a competitive environment, so that you can fall and get back up without real consequence.

As always, I'm sure you will ignore this advice because it doesn't fit your fantasy narrative of how you think your life will be greatly improved if you could only string together some consecutive flipping successes. As if going to a yard sale and pulling a $500 for $5 magically makes you good at math or gives you better hygiene or cures your learning disability. All it would do is make you overconfident leading to more poor decisions. You keep thinking its just about a couple hundred dollars in losses, but its really about your decision making abilities, which impact not just your wallet but every part of your life.

To answer your question all the comics you've mentioned have been shipped to my friends address which will save me money since the buyers are in the states. Yes I've done some comparing with listing that have sold in the same grade and go from 20-60 bucks. I know I have a lot to improve on but I'm working at is and yes I'm sure you're tired of hearing it.

I want to point out that with Aphra it's been going as I said so far, the cheaper comics will sell to be replaced with more expensive copies which they will sell when the time is right. I'll also say that I did get the timing wrong but only by a couple days unlike last time but that credit goes to my friend.

I'm curious, can you show me where they've sold for $20 to $60?

They're ebay sold listings

LINK

I'm not seeing it. At least for your stated grade range (G+ - G/VG).

I was talking about 126 which is what I was basing what the 157 will be close to eventually

So 126 is selling for $20 to $60 in your grade range and compares well with #157?

Good luck but I don't see it.

There is a big difference between #126 which features the first appearance of Dr. Strange primary antagonist (Dormammu) and major Strange supporting character (Clea) and#157 in that the Living Tribunal is a little used cosmic entity type character.

I think when comparing ST #126 to ST #157, you are trying to draw similar comparisons between two completely different books, one features major characters integral to the Strange mythos and the other, does not. You KNOW Dormammu is going to be the big bad in a Strange movie at some point.

Don't get me wrong, ST #157 is a nice silver age book to have with a neat first appearance but I doubt it will light up. A slight bump? Sure. Something though to make it worth your while to buy and sit on for a long time? Doubtful.

Where did you get this tip that ST #157 was going to be a hot book?

My friend gave me that advice but warned me not to go heavy on this one and focus on the three comics he mentioned

Where did you get this tip that ST #157 was going to be a hot book?

His friend, who is sometimes right but usually kinda always wrong except for the couple times he was right, may have inferred that a random issue of Strange Tales was going to be a hot book at some point in time when a movie announcement, that may or may not be about the Living Tribunal, is made which means that ST 157 is a guaranteed winner so now is the time to overpay for copies that can be found cheaper on ebay.

My friend said it would get hot but not go heavy on it but pick up cheap copies but to focus on three no brainer buys

Gabe does not joke about being told to not go trick or treating by his mean mom!

Yes, his mom knows better and told him it isn't safe for a 23 year old to go out trick or treating, meanwhile a bunch of 10 year olds are running around the neighborhood in scary costumes going trick or treating. :facepalm:

I'll mention this again since you may have forgotten, I don't live in the safest of neighborhoods and taking a car would be the safer solution and it's faster.

Gabe why do you keep playing the lottery??? (you probably don't know what I'm getting at so I'm going to spell it out).

Why would you buy a book today that MIGHT and that is capitalized for a HUGE reason, sell for more money down the road?

Why not invest the money in a book that you buy for $20 that you can almost instantly flip for $40? take that $40 and buy 2 more books at $20 each, and take that $80 and get 4 books zippity boop and you've got your first million. Instead you insist on picking 1 in a billion comics that "your friend" thinks will heat up down the road. You've now got $20 stuck in a book that is sitting waiting thinking about maybe one day being worth more than you've paid.

This is like an advent calendar each time there is a new post its like getting a candy :banana:

No.

What we're doing at this point is picking on someone who is clearly handicapped. Posting here is akin to pouring oil on the track at a Special Olympics event, then standing back laughing and pointing as the participants fall on their faces.

Unabashed schadenfreude. Is that our guilty pleasure?

Or maybe some of you simply love to give advice, even if it continually falls on deaf ears?

I just hope that everyone is taking the time to check out the well-written, worthwhile journals on the board. There are plenty of them!

This is my forever goodbye to this thread.

Gabe, I don't wish bad for you. I hope you get it together one day.

Thanks but I'm not handicapped like you think I am I just enjoy Halloween and I have a long road ahead.

Gabe why do you keep playing the lottery??? (you probably don't know what I'm getting at so I'm going to spell it out).

Why would you buy a book today that MIGHT and that is capitalized for a HUGE reason, sell for more money down the road?

Why not invest the money in a book that you buy for $20 that you can almost instantly flip for $40? take that $40 and buy 2 more books at $20 each, and take that $80 and get 4 books zippity boop and you've got your first million. Instead you insist on picking 1 in a billion comics that "your friend" thinks will heat up down the road. You've now got $20 stuck in a book that is sitting waiting thinking about maybe one day being worth more than you've paid.

On a consistent basis I don't have a list like other people buy I just buy what's hot a very rarely a non hot key for a good price.

Gabe does not joke about being told to not go trick or treating by his mean mom!

Yes, his mom knows better and told him it isn't safe for a 23 year old to go out trick or treating, meanwhile a bunch of 10 year olds are running around the neighborhood in scary costumes going trick or treating. :facepalm:

I'll mention this again since you may have forgotten, I don't live in the safest of neighborhoods and taking a car would be the safer solution and it's faster.

Makes sense to me to have your mom drive you from house to house (shrug)

On a consistent basis I don't have a list like other people buy I just buy what's hot a very rarely a non hot key for a good price.

How was what you paid a good price?

How is it a hot key?

So - I am no longer giving any advice - too tired of being ignored - but general statements

Iceman - that is a very good strategy. It sounds like if you know what to look for and keep a solid list - consistent money can be had in this game.

Gabe - I did the math for you earlier - you may have forgotten - chasing hype books - you fail (lose money) about 89% of the time.

Gabe-I'm not sure if you're kidding or not, so, were you actually planning on going trick or treating this year until your mom told you not to? Just a simple Yes or No will suffice.

Yes

Okay, this speaks volumes, because NOBODY who is over 15 years old (and I'm spotting you at least 3 years here) thinks that it is still acceptable for them to go trick or treating. You are 23, and you claim that you still think that it's okay. So, one of two things is going on here:

1) You are completely normal, with a few learning issues, but are so starved for attention that even negative attention is better than none at all

OR

2) You have issues that no one short of a specialized professional can help you with.

I don't know which it is, and frankly, it's none of my business. However, this is the point where I realized that you either will never take any of the advice offered, or you simply don't have the ability to understand any of the advice or concepts being presented. Either way, I wouldn't expect too much more advice to be offered to you any longer, because, let's face it, at best, you won't like it, and it will bounce off you like a Super Pinky rubber ball, and at worst, you won't be able to comprehend it. So why should anyone waste the time and effort to try to help you any longer? We'll just keep watching this train wreck thread as it lumbers along the track on its way to who knows where.

That wan't my mom being mean but yes I wasn't joking when I said I wanted to go for Halloween

I thought you said you chose not to go trick or treating. Are you saying your mom told you you can't go and then you decided not to?

Makes sense to me to have your mom drive you from house to house (shrug)

It's safer

8 8