• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

A lot of people are getting frustrated because they're giving seemingly reasonable, if not excellent advice, and the progress being made is barely inching along, if there is any progress at all. And that is understandable.

But most of those people seem to be making the assumption that you have AT WORST a lazy kid with a mild learning disorder who is leeching off his parents and possibly government assistance in the past. I would say that diagnosis is the absolute BEST case scenario for the OP, and would mean he at least has the POTENTIAL for improvement in the future, with a bit more discipline, willpower, and education, or at least a full time minimum wage job.

I'm no sociologist or psychologist, but I don't think we're dealing with a rational actor here who has the capacity to make seemingly obvious (to most of us) connections between motivation, behavior, and goals (or maths) that would really allow for any type of independent financial survival , outside of finding and mastering one specific technical skill that he reasonably enjoys and hopefully pays at least a basic sustaining wage.

Which is not an excuse for lack of will, but I think this is a kid who at times has wanted things very much and tried very hard at very basic things only to fail, much to the chagrin of teachers, friends, and family around him. And my guess is that type of thing has happened more than once, maybe more than a hundred times. And that takes a toll. And it can cripple many aspects of person's life if left unaddressed.

Which is why I once again reiterate my position that all collectible flipping activity (and related advice and encouragement thereof) should be ceased until such time that professional help can be obtained and sufficient progress made in emotional, professional, and hopefully learning arenas. He doesn't get it and won't until he gets real professional help and improves other parts of his life.

The cursory adulation he receives from the occasional 'good' sale only serves to reinforce his fantasy that he's somehow on the right track, and mentally buys him a reprieve from working on things that truly matter.

I appreciate the community's many attempts to help the OP. :headbang: After hundreds of pages of great advice and repeated misfortunes, I think Revat really summed it up well. Assuming this is not an extremely well orchestrated social media experiment hm , it seems as if the percentage of total advice given that was acted upon is likely less than 1%. :whatev: If history repeats itself, the OP will continue to post and the community will continue to give advice and consequently get frustrated when it's not followed. :frustrated: Could it be possible that this cycle is in some way enabling? What would happen if the community stopped responding to anything the OP does that is destructive :preach: and only post affirmations when he does something constructive? :applause: I know it sounds nice and fluffy :cloud9:, but could it be true? If this were the approach the community took, I'd 100% agree that encouraging any comic-related discussion would interfere. :baiting: Another approach could be to only discuss comics with the OP, nothing else, and only when there is no discussion of money or value. :troll: Regardless, I wish the OP the very best. :wishluck:

Now here's my 2c to the OP: Be a collector again. Making money from comics does not seem to work for you. :makepoint: Don't trade unless value is the last thing on your mind. I'm not encouraging you to trade your $500 book for someone else's $10 book just because you like the $10 book better. I am saying don't do it with the objective of getting something more valuable. It rarely seems to go in your favor. Just collect. Also, don't seek affirmation from people here on the boards or anywhere. :acclaim: That must come from within, buddy. Everyone struggles with it too, so it's an endless, yet possibly enjoyable journey. I recommend not posting anything related to your personal life. :gossip: But if you want to talk comics... :banana:

1. Find a shelter

2. Get more hours

3. Find a job with more more

4. Move all my important stuff

Plan B:

1. Apologize and make amends.

2. Ask for more hours at current job.

3. Actually look/pound pavement for another job

4. Work on personal growth and skills development

Alternate Plan B:

1. Join a cult

No cults and I'll be looking for another job.

A lot of people are getting frustrated because they're giving seemingly reasonable, if not excellent advice, and the progress being made is barely inching along, if there is any progress at all. And that is understandable.

But most of those people seem to be making the assumption that you have AT WORST a lazy kid with a mild learning disorder who is leeching off his parents and possibly government assistance in the past. I would say that diagnosis is the absolute BEST case scenario for the OP, and would mean he at least has the POTENTIAL for improvement in the future, with a bit more discipline, willpower, and education, or at least a full time minimum wage job.

I'm no sociologist or psychologist, but I don't think we're dealing with a rational actor here who has the capacity to make seemingly obvious (to most of us) connections between motivation, behavior, and goals (or maths) that would really allow for any type of independent financial survival , outside of finding and mastering one specific technical skill that he reasonably enjoys and hopefully pays at least a basic sustaining wage.

Which is not an excuse for lack of will, but I think this is a kid who at times has wanted things very much and tried very hard at very basic things only to fail, much to the chagrin of teachers, friends, and family around him. And my guess is that type of thing has happened more than once, maybe more than a hundred times. And that takes a toll. And it can cripple many aspects of person's life if left unaddressed.

Which is why I once again reiterate my position that all collectible flipping activity (and related advice and encouragement thereof) should be ceased until such time that professional help can be obtained and sufficient progress made in emotional, professional, and hopefully learning arenas. He doesn't get it and won't until he gets real professional help and improves other parts of his life.

The cursory adulation he receives from the occasional 'good' sale only serves to reinforce his fantasy that he's somehow on the right track, and mentally buys him a reprieve from working on things that truly matter.

I appreciate the community's many attempts to help the OP. :headbang: After hundreds of pages of great advice and repeated misfortunes, I think Revat really summed it up well. Assuming this is not an extremely well orchestrated social media experiment hm , it seems as if the percentage of total advice given that was acted upon is likely less than 1%. :whatev: If history repeats itself, the OP will continue to post and the community will continue to give advice and consequently get frustrated when it's not followed. :frustrated: Could it be possible that this cycle is in some way enabling? What would happen if the community stopped responding to anything the OP does that is destructive :preach: and only post affirmations when he does something constructive? :applause: I know it sounds nice and fluffy :cloud9:, but could it be true? If this were the approach the community took, I'd 100% agree that encouraging any comic-related discussion would interfere. :baiting: Another approach could be to only discuss comics with the OP, nothing else, and only when there is no discussion of money or value. :troll: Regardless, I wish the OP the very best. :wishluck:

Now here's my 2c to the OP: Be a collector again. Making money from comics does not seem to work for you. :makepoint: Don't trade unless value is the last thing on your mind. I'm not encouraging you to trade your $500 book for someone else's $10 book just because you like the $10 book better. I am saying don't do it with the objective of getting something more valuable. It rarely seems to go in your favor. Just collect. Also, don't seek affirmation from people here on the boards or anywhere. :acclaim: That must come from within, buddy. Everyone struggles with it too, so it's an endless, yet possibly enjoyable journey. I recommend not posting anything related to your personal life. :gossip: But if you want to talk comics... :banana:

This isn't a troll nor a social experiment, just a guy that wants to make money with comics. My personal life I've cut down on but I don't mind sharing since I don't hide things or try to make them appear better to impress others.

My last few comics buys and sell have went well so that's something I'm proud of.

Moving update 2

I will be staying with my parents for another month. I now know why they changed their minds so suddenly, taxes came and they couldn't pay it all.

I was also asked why I'm so relaxed even though I'm being kicked out and it's 3 reasons really.

1) I've been kicked out before

2) I'm in a better situation than before

3) I would have taken my most important stuff and left

This isn't a troll nor a social experiment, just a guy that wants to make money with comics. My personal life I've cut down on but I don't mind sharing since I don't hide things or try to make them appear better to impress others.

My last few comics buys and sell have went well so that's something I'm proud of.

Are you putting it on hold for the time being?

^^

Moving update 2

I will be staying with my parents for another month. I now know why they changed their minds so suddenly, taxes came and they couldn't pay it all.

I was also asked why I'm so relaxed even though I'm being kicked out and it's 3 reasons really.

I don't get it. They asked you to stay another month to watch the dog and you said no, you were going to stand firm for your beliefs. Now you're staying another month to help them with taxes? ???

Could it be possible that this cycle is in some way enabling?

Yes...it clearly is enabling (in the negative sense of the word). I've started to make this point several times in the thread, but figured it wasn't worth the energy. I'm glad you made it, though...

:applause:

Edit: along those lines, I made a plea here a couple/few months ago that we stop responding. I was basically told to off. :D

Be a collector again. ...Just collect.

If I understand things right, OP has never been a comic collector, and is not interested in collecting comics...only interest in comics is as their use as a widget for making profit buying and selling them, period. Same with board games, same with video games, same with coins...comics are just the latest widget (correct me if I'm wrong OP)

Edited by edowens71

Moving update 2

I don't get it. They asked you to stay another month to watch the dog and you said no, you were going to stand firm for your beliefs. Now you're staying another month to help them with taxes? ???

My beliefs are firm and I made that clear as that didn't change. I'm staying another month and see how it goes.

Are you putting it on hold for the time being?

I'll slow it down but I'll make purchases here and there if I've sold something if not then I buy nothing.

Yes...it clearly is enabling (in the negative sense of the word). I've started to make this point several times in the thread, but figured it wasn't worth the energy. I'm glad you made it, though...

If I understand things right, OP has never been a comic collector, and is not interested in collecting comics...only interest in comics is as their use as a widget for making profit buying and selling them, period. Same with board games, same with video games, same with coins...comics are just the latest widget (correct me if I'm wrong OP)

That's correct for the most part, I like certain comic titles, video games and coins but I'm not at the point where I can just collect it so I just buy and sell it.

Moving update 2

How "convenient" :eyeroll:

Taxes? I thought they asked you to stay one more month so you could take care of the dog because they were going on vacation?

Or are you saying your parents used the dog/vacation as a "cover story" to get you to stay when in reality they are having "tax problems"?

Are they still going on vacation? If so, why would they do that if they have "tax problems"?

Also, what taxes are "due"? Property taxes? The 2016 tax returns are not due or this a previously outstanding thing?

What happened to your "religious conviction"?

So many questions :ohnoez:

Moving update 2

How "convenient" :eyeroll:

Taxes? I thought they asked you to stay one more month so you could take care of the dog because they were going on vacation?

Or are you saying your parents used the dog/vacation as a "cover story" to get you to stay when in reality they are having "tax problems"?

Are they still going on vacation? If so, why would they do that if they have "tax problems"?

Also, what taxes are "due"? Property taxes? The 2016 tax returns are not due or this a previously outstanding thing?

What happened to your "religious conviction"?

So many questions :ohnoez:

"I'm standing firm with what I said and I won't change my mind. This will force me to become more serious about how and what I do but yes it will be a good learning experience."

lol

This thread used to be admiral and worthwhile with honest attempts to offer advice and help to Gabe. I myself was one those who tried to offer some impartial guidance.

Then it turned into entertainment with repeated mistakes, hygiene and personal fiascos, shunned feedback, and continued often lame excuses with promises to improve and learn. You would tune in just to see what new excuse or reason was offered and you could get your daily dose of comedic diversion.

Now it is just plain tiresome. :P

Edit: along those lines, I made a plea here a couple/few months ago that we stop responding. I was basically told to off. :D

Well, thank you for trying, Sir. I suppose some folks just see this entire thread as entertainment fodder. :popcorn:

Interesting. I appreciate you clarifying. That's probably part of the "issue" here. :kidaround:

This thread used to be admiral and worthwhile with honest attempts to offer advice and help to Gabe. I myself was one those who tried to offer some impartial guidance.

Then it turned into entertainment with repeated mistakes, hygiene and personal fiascos, shunned feedback, and continued often lame excuses with promises to improve and learn. You would tune in just to see what new excuse or reason was offered and you could get your daily dose of comedic diversion.

Now it is just plain tiresome. :P

:headbang:

Moving update 2

My beliefs are firm and I made that clear as that didn't change. I'm staying another month and see how it goes.

So does this mean you might be staying after the one month? :wishluck:

8 8