• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
43 43

6,157 posts in this topic

On 2/19/2022 at 10:46 PM, Tnexus said:

Yeah I would. If you try to sell it, I can guarantee someone will try to claim it's a damaged slab and try to get you to knock off some of the price.

Their ME turnaround time is actually not bad right now. I think from my dropoff to UPS to my door was like two weeks for me.

That's good, I have 2 mechanical errors to report to them. I heard it was 1 year wait time so I was feeling apprehensive to start the process.

On 2/19/2022 at 8:43 PM, William-James88 said:

That's good, I have 2 mechanical errors to report to them. I heard it was 1 year wait time so I was feeling apprehensive to start the process.

Late last year, the wait time for me was 5 weeks.  Remember to write “ME” on all sides of the box so CGC can expedite the order.

On 2/19/2022 at 8:43 PM, William-James88 said:

I sent 10 in for ME recently and it took one month. Nine were reslabs because of scuffs and scratches and the tenth was the bent corner which they didn't fix... just reslabbed. I know because not only is the corner still bent, but the debris below the corner is still there. Even with a sticky note attached, it was still overlooked.

On 2/20/2022 at 1:08 PM, jokiing said:

I sent 10 in for ME recently and it took one month. Nine were reslabs because of scuffs and scratches and the tenth was the bent corner which they didn't fix... just reslabbed. I know because not only is the corner still bent, but the debris below the corner is still there. Even with a sticky note attached, it was still overlooked.

Is the bent corner acceptable for the grade it was given?

On 2/20/2022 at 11:33 AM, William-James88 said:

Is the bent corner acceptable for the grade it was given?

It got a 9.4... no grader notes of course, but very clean corners, a few tiny spine stress lines that bc and a very small crease and bindery tear along top. The bent corner is the only real eye catcher.

On 2/19/2022 at 3:14 PM, Iceman399 said:

Should I send this back for them to fix? It's not for the pc so have a feeling a buyer will be turned off by the crunched label. 

20220219_112730.jpg

doh!  I mean, I guess I can see how some damage and errors might go unnoticed by a layman working somewhere along the line. But this...this is clearly a screw up that should be immediately obvious to any number of people between the slabbing and packing up to ship out process. It's right on top! These errors continue to illustrate that CGC simply doesn't care. They're just collecting money and turning books over, and are more than willing to eat any marginal losses that they have to cover. They must assume that most folks aren't going to bother with the resubmission process, and on the rare occasion they have to pay out of pocket to fix or compensate for a damaged book (good luck proving they damaged it!), it's offset by the massive profits coming in.

It's all gotten really, really sad. There was a time when I felt like it was worth slabbing some stuff in order to keep the books well protected. These days I have no doubt that they're ultimately safer in a mylar, full back and top-loader here in my house. Ugh.

On 1/14/2022 at 6:32 PM, Devin Colman said:

Before the comic was removed from its case and well, we noticed color lift occurring on the back cover of the book, pictures of the effected section are attached.  This happens due to unstable elements in the ink used and seems to only occur on glossy covers.  The color lift was lite enough that the book only suffered a downgrade to a 9.6.

I just showed the graders the book again to have the grade adjusted .  On a second look they leaned heavily toward 9.4 on the grade. 

20220113_093614.jpg

20220113_093603.jpg

Bump

On 2/21/2022 at 11:06 PM, Jemin said:

Mines been at CGC for a month.  Just needed to fix a label.

They should add a fast track tier for the thousands of repairs they receive.

Cha Ching!

On 2/22/2022 at 4:35 PM, Sigur Ros said:

They should add a fast track tier for the thousands of repairs they receive.

Cha Ching!

Actually those QC issues are on their dime. Imagine buying a broken product from the git go then having to pay more to get it right.

It's weird. All of these issues (including the TATs) are fixable. It's like they just don't care. You would think the head guys were thinking, "This isn't good for business", but it's like it's not important to them.

On 2/23/2022 at 12:45 PM, Gaard said:

It's weird. All of these issues (including the TATs) are fixable. It's like they just don't care. You would think the head guys were thinking, "This isn't good for business", but it's like it's not important to them.

You would think so, but I'd assume that as long as the submissions are pouring in, it's not worth the time/money to "fix" anything. 

On 2/22/2022 at 7:23 PM, Ride the Tiger said:

Actually those QC issues are on their dime. Imagine buying a broken product from the git go then having to pay more to get it right.

Yea, I know... was just joking about adding a speedier repair for a fee.  ;)

On 2/23/2022 at 10:45 AM, Gaard said:

What if they do massive hiring… but then the volume of submissions later declines? Lay off staff as a result? Hard to know if this increase in volume is here to stay.

On 2/23/2022 at 1:02 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

What was the end result?  Did they compensate you for the book?

They said I had a $100 credit on my account and I just got billed the full amount for my most recent order so I messaged accounting and no response as well as no reciept for the charge so yeah

Someone's account won't be renewed March 6th