• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
44 44

6,140 posts in this topic

On 2/1/2022 at 7:10 PM, Beyonder123 said:

I just had to send back a Secret Wars 8 canadian that was missed.

I had it before.  CGC used to show the grades on the submission before shipping.  I caught them for missing Canadian version then they replaced the label with the correct label.  That was ten years ago but today is a different story.  We CANNOT see the grades until it's shipped.  It sucks!

On 2/5/2022 at 10:26 AM, Artboy99 said:

and while I am venting, here is my very difficult to find Canadian edition of Planet Comics #4, damaged during inner well encapsulation. I agree with the 5.0 grade before the damage. It had a small tear at top left which is now torn off, and the bottom right corner was attached.

20220205_081958.jpg

20220205_082012.jpg

20220205_082004.jpg

Most quality control issues we see in this thread from mislabelling books to leaving debris in the case are annoying but can be rectified. But damaging a book like this is inexcusable.

On 2/5/2022 at 9:14 PM, Timmay said:

That happens during shipping, because the inner well can move around and rub against the inside of the outer case.

It is very common to get books back from CGC with those marks.

They could have happened while shipping it to you.

CGC should fix them no charge.

I thought those inner well scuffs were done by CGC as a strategy to fight Newton rings. 

On 2/5/2022 at 8:15 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Drag isn't it. Two big multi-million dollar companies, and both have let you down. One by placing an arguably unique book in a damaged holder, which is supposed to be 'crystal clear', the other by seemingly misrepresenting that damage and then taking an age to ship it after auction.

CGC is sorry for the waiting times and cite the huge submission volumes as the cause - and yet add to that volume with near-daily celebrity signings. Heritage have total control over the amount of books they put up for auction. They should tailor the number to their resources ability to process them but prefer to punt out more than they can handle.

In both cases, they have your money long before you get the product.

Makes you wonder why we bother with either of them really, doesn't it?

A lot of people who otherwise would.... don't! 

Edited by jcjames

On 2/5/2022 at 5:39 PM, Beyonder123 said:

This is one of the worst I've seen. I'm done with CGC until they figure out their problems. I'm still going to be submitting books in a couple months. It's going to be CGC's decision who I go with.

Won't it always be your decision? Plus I don't see how you can be certain this won't happen to your submissions.

On 2/6/2022 at 2:01 AM, JollyComics said:

I had it before.  CGC used to show the grades on the submission before shipping.  I caught them for missing Canadian version then they replaced the label with the correct label.  That was ten years ago but today is a different story.  We CANNOT see the grades until it's shipped.  It sucks!

Will CGC only fix that if they see that you did indeed mark it in the submission form? Or even if you missed that it was a price variant, they are still accountable?

Edited by William-James88

On 2/6/2022 at 3:23 PM, William-James88 said:

Will CGC only fix that if they see that you did indeed mark it in the submission form? Or even if you missed that it was a price variant, they are still accountable?

Certainly they don't just put down whatever you mark on the submission form. You can see where this could certainly be a problem. 

On 2/6/2022 at 2:23 PM, William-James88 said:

Won't it always be your decision? Plus I don't see how you can be certain this won't happen to your submissions.

Ten years ago.  I checked the submissions for seeing my grades just before shipping.  I read the information on the labels.  They failed to mention Canadian Edition and I called them immediately.  They fixed it right away.  I saved them from the troubles.

NOW,  we can't do that anymore.  Everyone in the world will get the wrong or missing info on the labels so CGC has to pay the return shippings everywhere.  I wished they would reverse it so that will allow us to check the submissions and correct them.  I believe they don't want to be disputed about the grades.  Just ship them out before we can see the actual grades.

On 2/6/2022 at 3:26 PM, wombat said:

Certainly they don't just put down whatever you mark on the submission form. You can see where this could certainly be a problem. 

For sure. But on the flip side if I reach out to tell them there is an error, will they deny me a "mechanical error" on the grounds that it wasn't marked in the submission? 

On 2/6/2022 at 3:56 PM, William-James88 said:

For sure. But on the flip side if I reach out to tell them there is an error, will they deny me a "mechanical error" on the grounds that it wasn't marked in the submission? 

And what is the alternative? To have a mislabeled book that they are the experts at labeling?

On 2/6/2022 at 12:50 PM, JollyComics said:

Ten years ago.  I checked the submissions for seeing my grades just before shipping.  I read the information on the labels.  They failed to mention Canadian Edition and I called them immediately.  They fixed it right away.  I saved them from the troubles.

Who would want a Canadian edition? They talk funny, and have a weird sense of humor. (shrug) Weirder than yours.

Wait a second...., 

On 2/6/2022 at 10:12 PM, lizards2 said:

Who would want a Canadian edition? They talk funny, and have a weird sense of humor. (shrug) Weirder than yours.

Wait a second...., 

We have a @greggy! He is so dedicated to this hobby that he even goes out when the heels are on TV! 

On 2/6/2022 at 10:27 PM, Iceman399 said:

We have a @greggy! He is so dedicated to this hobby that he even goes out when the heels are on TV! 

That was a good decision.  Did you console the poor guy?

On 2/6/2022 at 10:37 PM, Iceman399 said:

Ya telling him to get over it. 

'but it's basically the SuperBowl' doh!

I could only imagine him after the 2016 National Championship game.