• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
43 43

6,157 posts in this topic

• Administrator

I have just compiled everything from the last 2 1/2 weeks .(that's where I left off from the last e-mail to QC) All of your images and some of the comments will be sent to QC.  He will make sure the CGC staff sees them as well.  I am checking the forum to see what else I can find before I submit.

On 8/10/2022 at 8:06 PM, Garry Otter said:

I have a case where 2 books have been mixed up, Detective 474 & 475 had the wrong labels installed in the slab & possibly the grading mixed up as well.

Any recommendations for a solution?I am planning another submission soon

bat mixup.jpg

You can return to CGC for a fix. Contact customer service and they will send you to the submission page to fill out a form1387753372_ScreenShot2022-08-10at8_36_37PM.png.03455143a635fb43090aa857f98d6683.png

CGC covers cost to reholder and shipping both ways. Be sure to write "ME" on all sides of box and add notes to the slabs explaining the errors so nothing is missed. Takes about two weeks.

Edited by jokiing

On 8/10/2022 at 10:31 PM, jokiing said:

Thanks for all your help Mike....

Since we all love stories with pictures I thought I'd throw a couple in with a positive story that I hope stays that way as I open the four boxes that I received today.

IMG_3835.jpg.edcf1084fdf98d782b47ec369a2617b3.jpg

Largest number of boxed slabs that I got at one time. Have only had time to open one and so far happy to see 25 slabs with no scuffs or scratches. A few have Newton Rings, but nothing terrible.

IMG_3832.jpg.16f3ff6e05e886bbb4b14241714e0c0b.jpg  Noticed the new "Inspected By" stamp... just like the sticker on a new pair of underwear. Good to see.

Almost 100%... One needs to go back, but considering the poor QC over the last couple of years this to me is a big improvement

IMG_3834.jpg.09ee4d50ae05d81c2ddebf9e446b79bf.jpg

Cool, thanks for sharing. Happy to hear of some positive results 🥳

• Administrator

I am going to share something from the QC manager.  This is regarding images and posts made in this thread and other parts of the forum.

The QC team is now 8 members strong & we are more efficient at catching defects than ever before.

We have a long way to go but our department is going in the right direction.

I will create Quality alerts using the pictures you provided & hang at each station.

We’ll also hang alerts at each heat seal station & add this to our communication meeting.

Please know that each concern you raise is being sent to all departments.

I am asking managers for counter measures to address each customer call out.

On 8/11/2022 at 1:40 PM, Sackolantern said:

Hi guys, first time complainer here. opened a box of 25 yesterday, and one book is really badly damaged. Nothing on the boook in front, nothing on the book behind it. I was flabbergasted to pull it out and see this damage. What are my options in terms of getting it re-holdered?

2022 4087278021 group smaller.jpg

you have a 2 week window to either contact CGC and organize, and or, approve a mechanical error that will reholder for free. Just use the customer service email, and use the "ME"- Mechanical error option on the submission forms. Hopefully you have your own account, as if you submitted through a LCS or anything it would be more to work out, 3rd party etc. If your own account it is pretty straight forward under the submission forms :) edit to add, that it should be done for free if just getting them back in a submission from CGC :headbang: 

https://www.cgccomics.com/account/my-submissions/

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 8/10/2022 at 8:31 PM, jokiing said:

Noticed the new "Inspected By" stamp... just like the sticker on a new pair of underwear. Good to see.

Agreed.  However, since a book can be damaged every time it's either carelessly or improperly handled, the entire chain of custody should be fully documented.  If a complaint of mishandling is received, CGC should be able to look up:

• Who opened the parcel, re-sleeved the submitted items and entered them into CGC's digital tracking system (Step 1 of 7)
  • Who verified that each submitted item matches the information provided by the submitter (Step 2 of 7)
  • Who reviewed the item for authenticity to establish that it's genuine and suitable for grading/encapsulation (Step 3 of 7)
  • Who graded the item (all members of the so-called grading "team") (Step 4 of 7)
  • Who encapsulated the item (Step 5 of 7)
  • Who performed the post-encapsulation quality control check on the item, label, and holder (Step 6 of 7)
  • Who packaged the item for return shipment (Step 7 of 7)

Obviously, it's not necessary that any of this information be revealed to the client, but it should be readily accessible by both the Quality Control Manager and the individual Department Managers.  One man's opinion.  :preach:

On 8/11/2022 at 4:03 PM, zzutak said:

If eight constitutes an expansion of the QC team, that's a good start.  (thumbsu  However, let's just remember that two months ago, @Jennifer F. wrote, " We generally receive about 30-40 thousand submissions [read: books] a week."  There are only 2400 minutes in a 40 hour work-week, so each QC team member only has about 30 seconds to grab a slab from the on-deck circle, check/verify the suitability of the book/label/holder, and then place that slab on the "done" pile.  :whatthe:

Lucy-2.thumb.jpg.0393a19d8baf29f13f1a3b1407172633.jpg

Lol that is so true 

On 8/11/2022 at 9:15 AM, CGC Mike said:

I am going to share something from the QC manager.  This is regarding images and posts made in this thread and other parts of the forum.

The QC team is now 8 members strong & we are more efficient at catching defects than ever before.

I will create Quality alerts using the pictures you provided & hang at each station.

We’ll also hang alerts at each heat seal station & add this to our communication meeting.

What kind of training do these QC people have?

• Administrator
On 8/11/2022 at 8:02 PM, skypinkblu said:

What kind of training do these QC people have?

I was not provided the qualifications or training standards of the QC staff.

On 8/11/2022 at 9:15 AM, CGC Mike said:

Now 8 members?

How many were there before?

:ohnoez:

On 8/12/2022 at 7:37 AM, CGC Mike said:

My bad for trying to provide a little positive information as to what is happening with the images customers provided.  

I, for one, greatly appreciate it.  I can't imagine how discouraging it can be when every post, no matter what, is roasted by the peanut gallery, but it seems like there are actually developments being made in the QC department.  Everything hasn't changed to perfection immediately, but concerns are being addressed.  Seeing "Inspected by" stamps on invoices should help a lot when there are remaining issues.  Theoretically the error can be more easily corrected, and that's moving in the right direction.  

Some of these QC issues shouldn't be laid solely at the feet of the QC inspectors, though.  The number of stray hairs and other particles that seem to get encapsulated should be remedied before a slab is reviewed by the QC team.  Do you know if there have been any changes earlier in the process to reduce the foreign objects?