• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
44 44

6,152 posts in this topic

On 7/19/2023 at 4:52 PM, BriD. said:

I've seen this before in older slabs like this one. I guess they needed to use that spacer to hold a book that size in place side to side. But this TMNT doesn't have it so I'm not sure what the reason is for using it.

Screenshots_2023-07-19-15-31-09.png

Screenshots_2023-07-19-15-43-49.png

Interesting... thanks for posting that Shadow issue with the same inner holder!

On 7/19/2023 at 4:07 PM, Hibou said:
On 7/19/2023 at 12:39 PM, manetteska said:

What size slab is that?

Is it the same size as the Silver Age comic?

Yes it is

I don't know the exact size of a Golden Age Shadow...but that seems like a *lot* of extra room on the side. 

Is this some new slab size slightly below magazine?

I have a couple GA slabs next to me and they fit in the slab with barely any space on the sides. Not only that, but if you are going to give some extra room for a GA book, don't press one side directly against the well.

On 7/19/2023 at 3:52 PM, BriD. said:

I've seen this before in older slabs like this one. I guess they needed to use that spacer to hold a book that size in place side to side. But this TMNT doesn't have it so I'm not sure what the reason is for using it.

Screenshots_2023-07-19-15-31-09.png

Screenshots_2023-07-19-15-43-49.png

Ya it threw me off, as there wasn't really a "reason" that I knew of for mine, only found one other at the time on eBay to compare it too. I agree or would say it seems random.

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I can only speak to mine or my TMNT, but.

Same size case as a normal modern comic, nothing new in size just positioned to the right.

At first I thought that too, "oh snap they put it in a magazine case", but no, I wouldn't have even noticed the new inner well...however 

I've seen the tab on the back before to "keep a comic" from doing whatever, but what strikes me as odd, is that tab usually lays over the comic or the comic is between the tab and the case.

@CGC Mike that said and being the "case" no pun intended, these positioned alt right seem like if shaken comic syndrome were to happen would slip under the "tab" if there is room in this one causing damage. Unless this tab has no room between it and the case. All very confusing. 

Edit added the pic

4859794_Full_Rev.jpg

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 7/18/2023 at 5:30 PM, Hibou said:

Sorry- just scanned them now and yes, that's exactly it.  :(

The other issue has the same type of inner holder.

(edited)_shadow82front.png

(edited)_shadow82.png

I guess on both of ours the comic is still between the tab and slab, so I may have misspoke in my previous post.

With mine there is not a lot of comic between tab or slab, I'm not really sure what is keeping it from moving inward toward the tab though.

Idk

It is weird. I tried to see if it would move over, but it IS in there pretty snug. Type your innuendo here. :eek: eek

4859794_Full_Obv.jpg

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 7/18/2023 at 6:30 PM, Hibou said:

Sorry- just scanned them now and yes, that's exactly it.  :(

The other issue has the same type of inner holder.

(edited)_shadow82front.png

(edited)_shadow82.png

Being off-center in the Slab like that like that really makes your nice book present like excrement. So glad I quit submitting and sad this has happened to you and others.

Edited by MAR1979

On 7/19/2023 at 2:41 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I can only speak to mine or my TMNT, but.

Same size case as a normal modern comic, nothing new in size just positioned to the right.

At first I thought that too, "oh snap they put it in a magazine case", but no, I wouldn't have even noticed the new inner well...however 

I've seen the tab on the back before to "keep a comic" from doing whatever, but what strikes me as odd, is that tab usually lays over the comic or the comic is between the tab and the case.

@CGC Mike that said and being the "case" no pun intended, these positioned alt right seem like if shaken comic syndrome were to happen would slip under the "tab" if there is room in this one causing damage. Unless this tab has no room between it and the case. All very confusing. 

Edit added the pic

4859794_Full_Rev.jpg

I recently had shaken comic syndrome with this exact holder.  The comic moved out of the right side of the inner well causing damage. CGC reholdered the comic but did not press out the damage caused by it. 

Venom 3.jpeg

On 7/19/2023 at 10:50 AM, wombat said:

@CGC Mike Has CGC figured out the root cause of labels getting swapped? It seems like its a recurring problem which of course begs the question why can't they fix it. Obviously there is a QC issue for not catching the issue on the back end, but why does it keep happening?

On 7/19/2023 at 12:11 PM, CGC Mike said:

I haven't discussed this with the team yet, but I will check and see what is/can be done to prevent this from happening.

Some fast action on this new problem that just started happening this week...  

TU.gif.fe183eeaac1f72f39c35e78e29c75ce7.gif

On 7/20/2023 at 10:48 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Clear acetate cover signed, with the signature info slip underneath it.

362212464_10100810802836785_6691808116430255227_n.jpg.5d6fdf32c638bc59bcc891eda4eeae88.jpg

Apparently, someone at CGC wanted to be absolutely certain. :facepalm:

On 7/21/2023 at 5:01 AM, Domo Arigato said:

The first thing I would do is make a large print of this......walk into Matt Nelson's office and throw it on his desk while yelling "How the f*** am I suppose to make excuses for this?".

:facepalm:

I hear ya, but do you actually think Nelson gives a rat's a## about anything in this thread? :roflmao:

Edited by DR.X

On 7/21/2023 at 4:42 AM, Gaard said:

Seriously, the employees responsible for some of these screw-ups should just go back to flipping burgers.

Yes, the employees are missing things.  Lots and lots (and lots) of things.  But as they are so often very obvious things I can only imagine it's the management creating the struggle. They are probably just overloaded with work and need help....that they aren't getting.

So it's most likely overloaded employees or horrible training.

One or the other.

On 7/21/2023 at 4:42 AM, Gaard said:

Seriously, the employees responsible for some of these screw-ups should just go back to flipping burgers.

Seriously, would you really want those you call "responsible for some of these screw-ups" cooking your food? 

Meh

They're cooking your food, evaluating your taxes, lending your mortgages, creating laws, running the country,  ect ect ect 

Its not what you know, its who you know as to where you end up