• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
45 45

6,068 posts in this topic

Only way to tell is by having the book in hand. I suspect this will go back to CGC.

In the past CGC has gotten law enforcement involved in cases like this.

Has anyone notified MCS?

Damage to the outer slab means nothing. Unless you can switch the label (seam runs across the label so extremely unlikely) or swap the book out of the inner reservoir (virtually impossible without blatant evidence) then this was just a screwed pooch by CGC.

We have examined the book closely and don't see any evidence that the slab has been tampered with. The "Minor side edge crack" mentioned in our item listing is not evidence of tampering--it's just a tiny hairline crack about an inch below the upper right corner. Our consignment manager says she'd have to break it open to examine the inner well, but doesn't see anything off about the exterior.

Just spoke to CGC and they were very helpful. We are sending the book to CGC to review and determine what happened.

We have examined the book closely and don't see any evidence that the slab has been tampered with. The "Minor side edge crack" mentioned in our item listing is not evidence of tampering--it's just a tiny hairline crack about an inch below the upper right corner. Our consignment manager says she'd have to break it open to examine the inner well, but doesn't see anything off about the exterior.

Just spoke to CGC and they were very helpful. We are sending the book to CGC to review and determine what happened.

I don't understand your consignment manager's comment. First by breaking open the slab at this point, you are destroying the evidence. Second, the inner well has nothing to do with the tampering. In this case. the outer well and only the outer well was compromised, allowing the culprit to swap out the inner well or the label. The opening of a slab has been discussed on the Boards before. If done carefully, the only evidence you would see is probably that hairline crack you mentioned. The location, inch from the corner is where it pops.

Edited by bomber-bob

If it is an error, it makes sense that it was going to be a 5.0 and someone hit the 8 by accident as the 8 rests right above the 5 on the 10-key.

I would say human error. But agree that QC should have caught it.

This

sanchez211.gif

Best Thanksgiving Ever

I don't understand your consignment manager's comment. First by breaking open the slab at this point, you are destroying the evidence. Second, the inner well has nothing to do with the tampering. In this case. the outer well and only the outer well was compromised, allowing the culprit to swap out the inner well or the label. The opening of a slab has been discussed on the Boards before. If done carefully, the only evidence you would see is probably that hairline crack you mentioned. The location, inch from the corner is where it pops.

The submitter(seller) should be charged with a crime, seriously.

lol

Should the consignment manager be charged with a crime?

The submitter(seller) should be charged with a crime, seriously.

lol

Should the consignment manager be charged with a crime?

I'm not sure I'm understanding why you find my comments funny. It was mentioned that historically CGC will bring in law enforcement in cases of tampering, as well they should. If the book was tampered with, how is this not fraud ?