• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
44 44

6,124 posts in this topic

These are the graders notes in their entirety. Not the same book.

Spine Stress Lines

Top Interior Cover Tanning

Whole Book Lite Tanning

Actually, these notes do appear to match up quite well with the images of the book as it exhibits all of the above. The Marvel Chipping is really minimal and probably not worth mentioning since CGC doesn't deduct much for it, esp this small amount at the VF grade range. I don't see any creases, stains, or writing and no tears at the offset staples, which is a ubiquitous problem with staple placement like this. Perhaps this is a VF, and Orange is the New Black? hm

151709.jpg

151712.jpg

The book appears to be part of a small submittal of early Spideys from 1 - 14, all exhibiting poor page quality ("Cream to Off-white" being the best), 1 and 14 are also in the batch. I seem to recall a run like that being offered somewhere in the last year or so (graded 7/2013), ring a bell with anyone? hm

I'm chiming in.

That slab was clearly tampered with.

The back holder is missing, which is standard with those type of inserts.

I don't think they all have them - this one doesn't, graded 4/2013.

Spidey 5 CGC 8.5 White Pages.

I love White pages! :cloud9:

Nope, look at that sweet JIM 83 9.4 just auctioned last month thru Heritage. The book appears to be floating in the insert with plenty of wiggle room to breathe, and it doesn't have one either. :(

If all four corners were reasonably sharp, I can see this as a VF, but all four corners are starting to round. The rounded/ing corners brought the book IMO down to a 6.0 max.

The book is clearly not a VF.

The only question that remains now was if it was an honest mistake on the part of CGC (either hitting the wrong key, printing the wrong label, and QC missing it) or whether someone swapped out a book or a label.

Spine Stress Lines

Whole Book Lite Tanning

Atta boy. Jaybuck=Team Player

Good work

:applause:

How many point will the grader knock down for lite top interior tanning.

Say I have a NM/MT book but it has top lite interior tanning. Will it come back as a 9.8 or 9.6?

Spine Stress Lines

Whole Book Lite Tanning

Atta boy. Jaybuck=Team Player

Good work

:applause:

How many point will the grader knock down for lite top interior tanning.

Say I have a NM/MT book but it has top lite interior tanning. Will it come back as a 9.8 or 9.6?

Depends on the amount of tanning, how deep it goes through the paper, what the rest of the book looks like, etc.

Impossible to answer.

Spine Stress Lines

Whole Book Lite Tanning

Actually, these notes do appear to match up quite well with the images of the book as it exhibits all of the above. The Marvel Chipping is really minimal and probably not worth mentioning since CGC doesn't deduct much for it, esp this small amount at the VF grade range. I don't see any creases, stains, or writing and no tears at the offset staples, which is a ubiquitous problem with staple placement like this. Perhaps this is a VF, and Orange is the New Black? hm

Wishful thinking! The OGG says an 8.0 has the following characteristics:

Cover Inks/Gloss: generally bright with moderate to high reflectivity

Stress Lines: a few almost insignificant lines allowed

Cover wear: relatively flat with minimal wear

I know CGC and Overstreet are not in lock step, but this book is clearly an error/fake. Just looking at other 8.0 examples it is very clear.