• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
44 44

6,124 posts in this topic

Yeah, it doesn't look like a VF to me either but the defects listed in the grader's notes match the book pictured perfectly.

You could easily have those three defects on any copy under NM, though.

Damage to the outer slab means nothing. Unless you can switch the label (seam runs across the label so extremely unlikely) or swap the book out of the inner reservoir (virtually impossible without blatant evidence) then this was just a screwed pooch by CGC.

We have examined the book closely and don't see any evidence that the slab has been tampered with. The "Minor side edge crack" mentioned in our item listing is not evidence of tampering--it's just a tiny hairline crack about an inch below the upper right corner. Our consignment manager says she'd have to break it open to examine the inner well, but doesn't see anything off about the exterior.

Just spoke to CGC and they were very helpful. We are sending the book to CGC to review and determine what happened.

:applause:

Yeah, it doesn't look like a VF to me either but the defects listed in the grader's notes match the book pictured perfectly.

You could easily have those three defects on any copy under NM, though.

True. Does CGC always list light Marvel Chipping in the grader's notes on books like this (VF range books worth < 4-figure$)?

These are the graders notes in their entirety. Not the same book.

Spine Stress Lines

Top Interior Cover Tanning

Whole Book Lite Tanning

Atta boy. Jaybuck=Team Player

Good work

How many point will the grader knock down for lite top interior tanning.

Say I have a NM/MT book but it has top lite interior tanning. Will it come back as a 9.8 or 9.6?

Depends on the amount of tanning, how deep it goes through the paper, what the rest of the book looks like, etc.

Impossible to answer.

8.5 is top grade for any book with interior tanning.

I thought they hammered tanning pretty good, but Marvel Chipping not so much. :screwy:

BUTM should post his awesome BA double cover Hulk here with the insdie cover 9.6 and the outside 9.4/9.2 (I forget) and the overall grade is 8.5 because of tan pages.

I thought they hammered tanning pretty good, but Marvel Chipping not so much. :screwy:

BUTM should post his awesome BA double cover Hulk here with the insdie cover 9.6 and the outside 9.4/9.2 (I forget) and the overall grade is 8.5 because of tan pages.

30vjhvk.jpg

Spine Stress Lines

Whole Book Lite Tanning

Good work

Say I have a NM/MT book but it has top lite interior tanning. Will it come back as a 9.8 or 9.6?

Depends on the amount of tanning, how deep it goes through the paper, what the rest of the book looks like, etc.

Impossible to answer.

Which is unreasonable.

Spine Stress Lines

Whole Book Lite Tanning

Good work

Impossible to answer.

Again, that's not patently true.

It all depends on the type of tanning, how dark it is, how the pages are, what the rest of the book is like, etc. Myriad of factors.

If you're talking about Light Tan to Off White pages, generally 8.5 is the limit although there have been the rare 9.0 example.

If you're talking about interior cover tanning, it all depends on degree, and I've seen interior cover tanning in varying degrees on books from 9.8 down to low grades.