• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

STAR WARS : The Force Awakens Dec, 18, 2015

1,516 posts in this topic

Hey all...in advance of "The Force Awakens", I'm trying to get my kid up to speed on the original trilogy.

So far, we've watched the original theatrical versions of IV and V via the 2-disc DVD sets that came out a long time ago, with one disc featuring Lucas's horrid "enhanced" versions, and the other containing the real movies.

Unfortunately, I never managed to get the set with the original theatrical version of "Return". Is there any way to see it now without paying the inflated prices on Amazon or eBay for the DVDs, or--worse--trying to find the VHS version and a working VCR?

Thanks!

Chip, how do you know that? I remember when disney acquired lucasfilm, this is something that was specifically asked and their response was something along the lines of "maybe", but I haven't heard anything since. What have you heard?

I found the io9 article on the subject... now that I see it, I do remember this rumor being bounced around last year. They tried to shoot it down saying that, since 20th century fox owns the distribution rights, disney wouldn't be able to do any release. But, that seems like a dumb argument - why wouldn't 20th century fox want to make money? In any event, disney did another release of the star wars movies just this past week or so, so obviously that's not a problem.

Yeah, it's moving ahead full-steam. They know there's a way to make lots of cash here, and Disney is #1 at milking that teat.

In other news, this debate has been put to rest. As I stated, it's new dialogue even though the speech was similar...

Hamill was "cleared" to tell the packed house that he did record a voiceover specifically for the new teaser trailer, which debuted on Thursday during the Celebration kick-off panel.

In the teaser, we hear Luke's voice saying a familiar, but slightly altered line from "Return of the Jedi": "The force is strong in my family. My father has it. I have it. My sister has it. You have that power too."

He laughed and said that he kept messing up and saying: "My father had it."

Yeah, it's moving ahead full-steam. They know there's a way to make lots of cash here, and Disney is #1 at milking that teat.

In other news, this debate has been put to rest. As I stated, it's new dialogue even though the speech was similar...

Hamill was "cleared" to tell the packed house that he did record a voiceover specifically for the new teaser trailer, which debuted on Thursday during the Celebration kick-off panel.

In the teaser, we hear Luke's voice saying a familiar, but slightly altered line from "Return of the Jedi": "The force is strong in my family. My father has it. I have it. My sister has it. You have that power too."

He laughed and said that he kept messing up and saying: "My father had it."

So, are we to assume that Vader lived and they burned a doppleganger? Also, was Yoda the last of his kind?

Aware of Vader's fate, I am. My point is, is Hamill's voice over for Luke, or one of his offspring? The hand on R2 doesn't have to be Luke. We saw him comparing his robot hand to Vader's. Maybe, it's a fate that continues. Now granted, I have no idea what has happened in the Star Wars universe since ROTJ. So, this is all speculation on my part. :grin:

Vader is a force ghost capable of extending his reach into the tangible world?

In the original -script of the original trilogy, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Yoda were supposed to act as force ghosts assisting Luke against the Emperor and Vader somehow. Perhaps that idea is being recycled since Anakin was supposedly the most powerful Jedi at one point.

Ford always said that Han Solo should have died in ROTJ, and did in an early draft, but Lucas didn't think dead Han Solo toys would sell very well.

He was right. I don't think growing up that Solo would have been half as popular if he had died. As a kid, who wants to play with a dead character?