• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,103 posts in this topic

On 11/1/2021 at 11:15 PM, OtherEric said:

Is there a list of the Lichtenstein swipes anywhere? 

I have to admit, I used to be in the "hack" group, until I saw some of his pieces in person a few years ago.  I still have significant issues with how he swiped from others without crediting them... but I'm prepared to state that when you see his work up close, and can actually see the brush strokes, and appreciate the scale, it comes across completely differently than a picture in a book where all of that gets lost. 

That's fine and dandy, but at the end of the day he copied someone else's composition, their art, claimed it as his own and never bothered to mention/credit the artists he stole from as "his" art was and continues to be hung in prominent museums around the world.  Seeing those panels recreated in a different medium, in the large format they are presented in, IS interesting and thought provoking. And that is the tragedy, as well.

Screw him, honestly. He deserves any derision he gets. 

I have a useless art degree from a prominent university so I am an expert.  :roflmao:

On 11/1/2021 at 11:15 PM, speedcake said:

That's fine and dandy, but at the end of the day he copied someone else's composition, their art, claimed it as his own and never bothered to mention/credit the artists he stole from as "his" art was and continues to be hung in prominent museums around the world.  Seeing those panels recreated in a different medium, in the large format they are presented in, IS interesting and thought provoking. And that is the tragedy, as well.

I have a useless art degree from a prominent university so I am an expert.  :roflmao:

It seems odd to me that the original artists/owners of these works didn't attempt to protect their work.  

On 11/2/2021 at 12:51 PM, MattTheDuck said:

It seems odd to me that the original artists/owners of these works didn't attempt to protect their work.  

The artists couldn't, as the copyright holder wasn't the artists themselves, but DC Comics. And DC didn't care.

Edited by Crimebuster

I read up on the whole Lichenstein swipe thing a couple of years ago and while I appreciate his art and how he brought comic books into a wider audience's living room walls, I can't help but now consider him a bit of a chancer, who did good.

Fair play to him, he made some money, but I do feel that the books he copied (and there is no doubt that most of the famous ones are direct scale up's from comics) should be equally lauded and paraded as the source material they are. I hope that art teachers and historians around the world know of and the tale.

On 11/2/2021 at 1:15 AM, speedcake said:

Amen, Charlie!  I've been trying to explain the exact same thing to people for years but most can't get past the fact that "experts" say he's important.  If only most people had any idea who the "experts" really are.  (thumbsu

On 11/3/2021 at 10:20 AM, Randall Dowling said:

I've been trying to explain the exact same thing to people for years but most can't get past the fact that "experts" say he's important.  If only most people had any idea who the "experts" really are

I just watched the documentary "The Velvet Underground" on Apple TV+ and it influenced me to have a little more sympathetic view towards appropriation art than I had previously.

On 11/3/2021 at 10:59 AM, peted76 said:

I read up on the whole Lichenstein swipe thing a couple of years ago and while I appreciate his art and how he brought comic books into a wider audience's living room walls, I can't help but now consider him a bit of a chancer, who did good.

Fair play to him, he made some money, but I do feel that the books he copied (and there is no doubt that most of the famous ones are direct scale up's from comics) should be equally lauded and paraded as the source material they are. I hope that art teachers and historians around the world know of and the tale.

When I got my art degree, late 90s to early '00s, whenever Lichtenstein came up the comics from which he stole were not really discussed. I think we were vaguely aware of where he'd been "inspired", but we were certainly never taught the names of the original artists or about their work and medium. He did nothing for comics, certainly not romance comics and the artists who worked on them.

I don't know if there is greater context included in modern art schools when Lichtenstein is the subject. I hope so, but wouldn't be surprised if nothing has changed and he is still lauded as anything other than a thief.

On 11/3/2021 at 12:25 PM, Randall Dowling said:

That guy is not taking no for an answer...

He's definitely on autopilot. He must have skipped the fine print about child support. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 11/3/2021 at 1:31 PM, speedcake said:

When I got my art degree, late 90s to early '00s, whenever Lichtenstein came up the comics from which he stole were not really discussed. I think we were vaguely aware of where he'd been "inspired", but we were certainly never taught the names of the original artists or about their work and medium. He did nothing for comics, certainly not romance comics and the artists who worked on them.

I don't know if there is greater context included in modern art schools when Lichtenstein is the subject. I hope so, but wouldn't be surprised if nothing has changed and he is still lauded as anything other than a thief.

Likewise, it was the same way when I went to school.  Once you realize that it's all novelty and no substance, Lichtenstein's work just leaves you cold.  It's not to say that all Pop Art is without value, there is potential there.  But Lichtenstein's work is pretty thin.

On 11/3/2021 at 3:01 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Likewise, it was the same way when I went to school.  Once you realize that it's all novelty and no substance, Lichtenstein's work just leaves you cold.  It's not to say that all Pop Art is without value, there is potential there.  But Lichtenstein's work is pretty thin.

My take on Lichtenstein was that he was mocking the source. As a comic lover I do take a bit of umbrage at that. The only reason he didn't use Spidey is that Marvel would have sued the shorts off his arse. I have a question....

When did it first become known that he was "borrowing" ? GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 11/3/2021 at 3:58 PM, alexgross.com said:

sounds like we all agree that lichtenstein was a hack.

now to get back on the thread, this comiclink ff4 result appears to be a new record for this book in grade. obviously, white pages helped it achieve this record price. 

EFF48537-EA50-4871-9566-326C745A8DCE.jpeg

Still cheap.  That is such an important book, and this is a pretty copy.

On 11/3/2021 at 3:13 PM, zosocane said:

Still cheap.  That is such an important book, and this is a pretty copy.

Definitely. Almost double what I sold my last copy for in August 2021.

I hope prices continue to run as I have a beater copy in for grading. I will be take $2K for  0.5-1.0 any day. :flipbait:

I was the underbidder on the #4 -- I didn't trust the CGC scan that Comiclink used (it's much brighter than what would be in hand), but the same book was scanned at WorldWide and it was indeed very nice.  Congrats to the winner, whoever it was....and for me, the hunt continues!

Dan

On 11/3/2021 at 9:03 PM, Microchip said:

Only recently 9.6's were $1,100 to $1,500.

image.png

Hulk #102 was quite cheap for a while.  I guess it might be catching up.

That said, a 9.6 of Hulk Annual #1 (which I think is a much cooler book) sold tonight for $2,450, as compared to $4,110 for a 9.6 in June and $2,400 for a 9.4 just last month.