• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,101 posts in this topic

I had not been paying attention to this book, but it has really gone up since the movie announcement.

Aquaman #11

I'll say - there are about 20 copies up on ebay now with none better than a 4.0/5.0 and still everyone has an asking price over $100. The two that are up for Auction already have almost 60 bids between them. Things should really start to heat up now. :insane:

That black cover is a real problem. :pullhair:

I still can't believe the way that title has bounced back, T.V. series or otherwise.

There's a raw 5.0 (nice looking and fairly graded IMHO) that's ending in 4 hours.

It has 56 bids already from about 15/16 different bidders who all have between 189 and 4600 feedback.

I think this is about a $30 book in guide and it's already at $400 :o

I agree with you Andy - this run has always been a complete afterthought for me. The power of a Movie cannot be overemphasized when looking at value, but it's still the same book after all is said and done...

What the heck will Dawn of Justice do to all of the JLA character's books?? Hell, a successful movie will even pump new life into Wonder Woman after 75 years. :insane:

Lois Lane 106 in grade has been picking up on eBay, couple raw HG auctions have been ending around $100...which is actually a steal IMHO.

I was lucky enough to pick up a raw 9.2/9.4 ish copy via BIN 2 months ago. :cloud9:

Had it on my watch list and it popped up, seller graded it as a 9.2 or better at $90 OBO... messaged the seller immediately with an offer of $70 and paid right away.Wouldve had no problem paying full sticker, though.

I'll dry clean/press it for Wizard onsite, hoping to get a 9.4....or 9.6 out of it.Definitely going to bust out the 'ole Absorene putty for this book and get every lil speck of dirt/residue off the FC/BC.The dry cleaning will be a 90-120 minute project on this one, but it'll be worth it....hehe.

Personally, I think this is one of the most undervaled BA books out there, in HG.

Raw copies in lower grade (GD+ to VG+) always sell nicely at shows, as well' it's a nice wall book.

Lois Lane 106 in grade has been picking up on eBay, couple raw HG auctions have been ending around $100...which is actually a steal IMHO.

I was lucky enough to pick up a raw 9.2/9.4 ish copy via BIN 2 months ago. :cloud9:

Had it on my watch list and it popped up, seller graded it as a 9.2 or better at $90 OBO... messaged the seller immediately with an offer of $70 and paid right away.Wouldve had no problem paying full sticker, though.

I'll dry clean/press it for Wizard onsite, hoping to get a 9.4....or 9.6 out of it.Definitely going to bust out the 'ole Absorene putty for this book and get every lil speck of dirt/residue off the FC/BC.The dry cleaning will be a 90-120 minute project on this one, but it'll be worth it....hehe.

Personally, I think this is one of the most undervaled BA books out there, in HG.

Raw copies in lower grade (GD+ to VG+) always sell nicely at shows, as well' it's a nice wall book.

You realize this is the Silver forum, yes?

Classic CAK - he's not bound by the laws of mankind

oh come on, it's 1970, right on the fence, albeit a couple of months after GL 76 and a month after Conan 1, it still has the hokey cheesey DC 1960s feel. close enough.

oh come on, it's 1970, right on the fence, albeit a couple of months after GL 76 and a month after Conan 1, it still has the hokey cheesey DC 1960s feel. close enough.

I wasn't commenting on the age of the book, more his assertion that it was a Bronze Age book, while posting in the Silver forum. I couldn't care less about the intricacies of what book falls in what category. :)

And dont forget it is also the first book that started off the Bronze Age :)

I wasn't commenting on the age of the book, more his assertion that it was a Bronze Age book, while posting in the Silver forum. I couldn't care less about the intricacies of what book falls in what category. :)

BA or SA, a book this close to the edge of both periods comes down to semantics, either way.But if you want to go putely by time periods ( which I would not argue with) , than this is a BA book.

I would place this book as a BA book with a 1960's era feel, but not really in a kitschy/cheesy sense.

I'd say it can be classified(loosely) as an undervalued SA/BA key due to its' take on racial issues.The civil rights era took place during the mid to late 1960's and this book has that feeling to it.

The only HG CGC slabbed copy I have seen in a year, a CGC 8.0 sold within a day or 2 of it being listed via BIN, about 1-2 months ago.

(At the BIN asking price)

That shows the demand is there.

There is a Voldemort 9.6 on eBay now, at $999 or BO.

The Voldemort is a cherry copy, every bit a 9.6.....but, I would rather buy a 9.6 with a couple spine tics or more typical defects than have a 9.6 with a small scratch below the "L" in "Lane".Still, it's a mighty purdy book :cloud9:

For a book with racial signifigance, with an all black cover to boot, I think it has room to grow.

There are not a lot of copies in the census and the small amount of GPA data shows it's on the uptick.

Captain marvel 1 is surprisingly inexpensive still. I just sold a copy for what my old lcs had on the price tag almost 20 years ago. Very disappointed, but the sales price was right there with the market. I should have probably aged it more, but it's already 47 years old!

BA or SA, a book this close to the edge of both periods comes down to semantics, either way.But if you want to go putely by time periods ( which I would not argue with) , than this is a BA book.

I would place this book as a BA book with a 1960's era feel, but not really in a kitschy/cheesy sense.

I'd say it can be classified(loosely) as an undervalued SA/BA key due to its' take on racial issues.The civil rights era took place during the mid to late 1960's and this book has that feeling to it.

The only HG CGC slabbed copy I have seen in a year, a CGC 8.0 sold within a day or 2 of it being listed via BIN, about 1-2 months ago.

The Voldemort is a cherry copy, every bit a 9.6.....but, I would rather buy a 9.6 with a couple spine tics or more typical defects than have a 9.6 with a small scratch below the "L" in "Lane".Still, it's a mighty purdy book :cloud9:

For a book with racial signifigance, with an all black cover to boot, I think it has room to grow.

There are not a lot of copies in the census and the small amount of GPA data shows it's on the uptick.

Isn't a 9.6 not supposed to have spine ticks??

Isn't a 9.6 not supposed to have spine ticks??

9.6s can have spine ticks.

9.8s can have spine ticks.

Ticks, as in plural?

Yeah. I have slabbed many, many 9.8s with mutiple spine stresses. Not big ones (usually), but they are there. Especially on older books. CGC is far less tolerant with anything printed in the last 20 years.

OK, I guess you have experience sending books in, I have just owned some 9.8s that looked perfect to me so I have assumed that's the standard, maybe a tiny bit of spine corner wear. I can envision a lot of returns of raw books on ebay selling them as 9.8s with multiple ticks though. I suppose on a 9.6 two that you can barely see might be ok.

OK, I guess you have experience sending books in, I have just owned some 9.8s that looked perfect to me so I have assumed that's the standard, maybe a tiny bit of spine corner wear. I can envision a lot of returns of raw books on ebay selling them as 9.8s with multiple ticks though. I suppose on a 9.6 two that you can barely see might be ok.

I once slabbed an Iron Fist 14 that had over a dozen ticks of varying sizes. 9.8.