• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,097 posts in this topic

Yeah, Showcase 75 got looted today.

Even if they inspired a real-world religion, I would never care about Hawk and Dove.

If you want to "invent a religion" all you have got to do is to ask Neil Gaiman. He was bragging about it since the early 1990s. :sick:

I have never read the series, but Hawk and Dove are an interesting concept. :)

Basically a medium for Ditko to allegorize his Randian convictions.

Even if they inspired a real-world religion, I would never care about Hawk and Dove.

If you want to "invent a religion" all you have got to do is to ask Neil Gaiman. He was bragging about it since the early 1990s. :sick:

Which religion?

Which religion?

He made a general statement: Gaiman said he would have liked to "design religions" in an interview in one of the magazines about comics in the late 1980s-early 1990s (don’t recall the name, it was tabloid format).

I did not recall the original Hawk & Dove were written by Ditko. The Avenging World and (especially) Mr. A are at least partly enjoyable as fiction, but I never understood why he continued to empoverish the work and extremize the limitations of these philosophical ideas.

It is registered now . A cream off white pages

Stunning. Keep an eye on Adventure 260. A CGC 4.0 sold for $286 last month so it's following a similar trajectory as Showcase 30.

I would love to see a "trajectory" on this book. I have been looking for a halfway presentable copy at any price for the past three months and not one has made it to market.

This book may be too "rare" for speculative fever to ever reach it - you can't have a headlining sale if no book is ever sold.

Edited by erp3c

Stunning. Keep an eye on Adventure 260. A CGC 4.0 sold for $286 last month so it's following a similar trajectory as Showcase 30.

I would love to see a "trajectory" on this book. I have been looking for a halfway presentable copy at any price for the past three months and not one has made it to market.

This book may be too "rare" for speculative fever to ever reach it - you can't have a headlining sale if no book is ever sold.

Just took a look at Ebay and yeah the pickings are very slim. Nothing on there that isn't falling apart!

I think FF1 is due to heat up soon. AF15, Hulk 1, even Showcase 4 have been scorching the last few years, but FF1 remains pretty stagnant.

How hot $ do you think FF could get?

I feel its just a natural progression. After AF15 got expensive, collectors turned to Hulk1 which in turn became expensive. AF15, and Hulk 1 are getting beyond most collectors means. I mean 1.0s of these books are selling for 5k. An FF1 in 4.0 range can still be obtained at that price. FF1 is historically very significant (more so than Showcase 4 IMHO which also goes for a huge chunk of change).

Just took a look at Ebay and yeah the pickings are very slim. Nothing on there that isn't falling apart!

Wich one is more important ,Adventure 260 or Showcase 30?

I would think Showcase 30

In terms of which one will probably see more demand, I would have to agree on Showcase #30. In today's CGC cover-centric environment, Aquaman's first solo cover appearance is probably going to give it the edge.

But in terms of content, I personally would think Adventure #260 would be more significant. Though Aquaman isn't on the cover - a big negative - and the origin is more abbreviated, it's still his first Silver Age origin.

And considering the Showcase b&w reprints begin with Adventure #260, an argument could be made that #260 is his first Silver Age appearance, making it analogous (albeit very, very loosely) to Showcase #4 - in terms Aquaman continuity that is.

Also, it seems to me that as I've looked for Aquaman books over the last 3 years, Adventure #260 in nice FN or better seems to come up less frequently than Sowcase #30.

But if I had the money for one of them, while my brain would be telling #260, my heart would pull me to #30. It's a tough call.

BTW, I have neither book and at these prices I probably never will. I have no dog in this hunt, I'm just speaking as a fan of the character.

I've spent time studying both books and I think they are equals: Adventure 260 is the first Silver Age Aquaman because Arthur Curry is revealed as the son of Tom Curry, a lighthouse keeper who falls for an Atlantean. This origin story is retold in Showcase 30 which is published about 15 months later. Showcase 30 is Aquaman's first full-length book, although not his own title. That's why I think both are important, but neither book has an edge over the other.