• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,101 posts in this topic

$7900 for a 1.5. That just destroys GPA by a whole lot.

Guess that answers the question as to whether or not spidey going to his cinematic home can give AF 15 an additional bump:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251826185111?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

-J.

Wow. That's just crazy. :o

0 feedback bidder.....that has to be a shill.

...talk about coming off the bell, swinging....... :o GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Guess that answers the question as to whether or not spidey going to his cinematic home can give AF 15 an additional bump:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251826185111?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

-J.

0 fb winner, though.

hm

There was an under-bidder at $7800.

There's a less nice presenting 1.5 on heritage now as well. That one is worth a watch too.

Although that restored "other grading company" 3.0 going for $7200 after the movie announcement was also pretty wacky.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/?_nkw=-qzkgwxbbcvsqvpjmzr+191508345230&LH_Complete=1&LH_BIN=1&LH_BO=1&_pppn=v3&_ipg=200&_pgn=1&rmvSB=true

-J.

Wow. what a difference ten years makes. You could get a 6.0 AF 15 for less than that price in 2005. And that was after a big jump due to the first movie's hype

A rational market at work, as insane as it seems. The window on "affordable" unrestored low-grade AF15s at under $10K is closing quickly, and buyers are pulling the trigger on this Grail before it's out of reach like a key GA book.

Edited by zosocane

Comics associated with movies are not keys.

Cheers, Howard

I quite agree… I mean that’s not what makes them "keys" – unless they were already keys (important ones) to begin with. :)

I agree. Keys are keys. First issues of all time greats; spiderman, hulk, xmen, avengers, and even thor and iron man. Key villains like doom, Loki...

We are now creating keys based on movie or tv hype. If you appear or are rumored to appear your first appearance is now a key. plastique, shark man, angel dust...

Cheers, Howard

I quite agree… I mean that’s not what makes them "keys" – unless they were already keys (important ones) to begin with. :)

I agree. Keys are keys. First issues of all time greats; spiderman, hulk, xmen, avengers, and even thor and iron man. Key villains like doom, Loki...

We are now creating keys based on movie or tv hype. If you appear or are rumored to appear your first appearance is now a key. plastique, shark man, angel dust...

Key issues, in my opinion, involve cameos, first appearances, origin stories, major events, costume changes, writers/artists 1st and last issues, or even more obscure things like amazing covers (Aquaman 42 for example, which also happens to be Black Manta's 2nd app). But let's not get it twisted, keys are subjective. I might consider some obscure meaningless Thing books keys because he was the character featured in the first comic that I bought.

Maybe it's personal, maybe it's a movie appearance, maybe it's a c-list character's origin story...it's still a key, to someone. And chances are if it's anything dealing with a "first", it's a key to a lot of people.

Cheers, Howard

Key issues, in my opinion, involve cameos, first appearances, origin stories, major events, costume changes, writers/artists 1st and last issues, or even more obscure things like amazing covers (Aquaman 42 for example, which also happens to be Black Manta's 2nd app). But let's not get it twisted, keys are subjective. I might consider some obscure meaningless Thing books keys because he was the character featured in the first comic that I bought.

Maybe it's personal, maybe it's a movie appearance, maybe it's a c-list character's origin story...it's still a key, to someone. And chances are if it's anything dealing with a "first", it's a key to a lot of people.

I just wish I owned all these "keys" that you speak of. :cloud9:

-J.

0 fb winner, though.

and now relisted

-J.

0 fb winner, though.

and now relisted

I would imagine accounting for bogus sales must be time consuming and a PITA.

Cheers, Howard

I just wish I owned all these "keys" that you speak of. :cloud9:

Me too, meeee too.

-J.

0 fb winner, though.

and now relisted

Folks will always try to manipulate the market instead of letting the market set itself. AF 15 is a true grail but let's see what happens when the hype dies down and folks realize Sony still controls spidey and will still be making bad movies. It will always be expensive but maybe not mortgage expensive.

Time will tell how sustainable it is. I'd be curious to know how many people own multiple copies of this books as an "investment".

How much supply of this book will come onto the market at the first hint of weakness?

One thing I will always remember is the sales thread here where someone was selling a dozen or so copies of Showcase 22. That's a tougher book than AF15 to find, but obviously it wasn't really that tough a book to find.

People have been accumulating AF15 for many years thinking that it can never go down in value. However, it isn't a scarce book at all.

I wouldn't be stunned to see its price get cut in half if the momentum moves to selling instead of buying.

A rational market at work, as insane as it seems. The window on "affordable" unrestored low-grade AF15s at under $10K is closing quickly, and buyers are pulling the trigger on this Grail before it's out of reach like a key GA book.

Time will tell how sustainable it is. I'd be curious to know how many people own multiple copies of this books as an "investment".

How much supply of this book will come onto the market at the first hint of weakness?

One thing I will always remember is the sales thread here where someone was selling a dozen or so copies of Showcase 22. That's a tougher book than AF15 to find, but obviously it wasn't really that tough a book to find.

People have been accumulating AF15 for many years thinking that it can never go down in value. However, it isn't a scarce book at all.

I wouldn't be stunned to see its price get cut in half if the momentum moves to selling instead of buying.

Although very unlikely, if something like that were to happen, it would likely pull the chair out from underneath the entire hobby, SA on down to moderns, as AF 15 is literally one of the tent poles of the industry (like IH 181 for bronze and yes even walking dead 1 for the modern era).

-J.

Cheers, Howard

I agree with this...keys are keys. But those true keys are bolstered by the movies. And the movies are artificially inflating feaux keys as well. It's just plain crazy right now and I don't see an end...

It is registered now . A cream off white pages

Stunning. Keep an eye on Adventure 260. A CGC 4.0 sold for $286 last month so it's following a similar trajectory as Showcase 30.

I would love to see a "trajectory" on this book. I have been looking for a halfway presentable copy at any price for the past three months and not one has made it to market.

This book may be too "rare" for speculative fever to ever reach it - you can't have a headlining sale if no book is ever sold.

Just took a look at Ebay and yeah the pickings are very slim. Nothing on there that isn't falling apart!

Wich one is more important ,Adventure 260 or Showcase 30?

I would think Showcase 30

I've spent time studying both books and I think they are equals: Adventure 260 is the first Silver Age Aquaman because Arthur Curry is revealed as the son of Tom Curry, a lighthouse keeper who falls for an Atlantean. This origin story is retold in Showcase 30 which is published about 15 months later. Showcase 30 is Aquaman's first full-length book, although not his own title. That's why I think both are important, but neither book has an edge over the other.

I've been waiting to see the jump on these after the Jason Mamoa picture released. Anyone notice anything yet?