• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

Great bb offerings, Robot Man! My faves are the Slugger bagatelle, the Mickey Converse pinback, and of course Eisner's Baseball Comics.

One question - is that Satchel Paige covering second for some reason? And why is he white? Someone didn't get the memo on that one perchance...

It's also interesting to note that Ralph Kiner got the cover glory on Sports Action and Warren Spahn was relegated to the teaser strip on the bottom. Maybe it's just me, but when the dust settled, it seems Spahn had the more noteworthy career, just sayin.'

19 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Tell you what Pop, Wizard World Chicago is coming up in a few months. Go, do a con report and make ME swoon...

I've only been once, and before Wizard took over. I was always a small-show sort of guy, and looking for stuff on the cheap at flea markets and antique shows. "Retail" and "comics" are two words that don't gel in my book. I know there are bargains to be had at any show: one just has to be willing go diving, as you say.

If I do get off my curmudgeon soapbox and attend Wizard, I will bring back some pics.

On April 2, 2017 at 1:44 PM, Robot Man said:

Speaking of "Paul" books... Here's a cool story of one that got away and still made it back to me.

I had a chance to buy this from Joe, the original buyer from "Paul's" family. It was in one of the boxes. But that day, I had blown all my cash on Catman's, Ace books, Speeds and a few Centaurs. It was a cash transaction and I wasn't expecting it that day so I had to pass on it plus a couple nice All Americans and Green Lanterns with the Halequin. I figured, I would get it next time but I guess Jim got them next time he went over.

Anyway, he sold it to the guy who sold Jamie and Terry his amazing DC collection. Not being a DC guy that much, I was casually thumbing the collection at the show and what turned up? This book. I quickly grinded Jamie down a bit and took it home.  Now, it's in the Robot Man collection where it isn't going anywhere. Funny thing is, I got it for about 1/2 the price Joe originally wanted for it!

IMG_0701_zpsvw4amnac.jpg

For Flash Comics collectors, this is #1 on the hardest to find list.  :banana:

1 hour ago, porcupine48 said:

tricolor was just gushing he found a copy of this a few months back..scarce?

It must be. I bought it for the incredible cover many years ago and have never been able to upgrade it. I posted it once and it was pointed out to me that the name on the cover was a Japanese fellow who was interred. Kind of like Okajima.

1 hour ago, PopKulture said:

I've only been once, and before Wizard took over. I was always a small-show sort of guy, and looking for stuff on the cheap at flea markets and antique shows. "Retail" and "comics" are two words that don't gel in my book. I know there are bargains to be had at any show: one just has to be willing go diving, as you say.

If I do get off my curmudgeon soapbox and attend Wizard, I will bring back some pics.

You can find stuff cheap everywhere Pop. Just gotta get up and do it. As I always say, at a comic book show, the bargains are usually in the boxes because people are usually to lazy to dig. I can even say that I got the better of both Terry and even Harley at WonderCon because I box dived and knew what to look for. 

I went Friday and Sat but opted out for Sunday because I'd just had enough and wanted to look at my loot (which I never got around to). Funny thing was, my favorite flea market was on Sunday and I forgot about it!

Come on you slackers. I know you got baseball covers. I know a couple of Superman's and Worlds Finest #3? right off the top of my head and I ain't gonna go home and scan 'em.  Even G.A.tor posted one. Give some up you lurkers or 'ole Robot Man's gonna close the door!