• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

Hey Robot Man, you are right in that the diligent purveyor of junk boxes will be rewarded. I scored this great Red Ryder Paul book in a castaway box in the ante room at Terry's show today. These books are under appreciated with great art and stories!

Awesome book 40! You are right, those are very under appreciated. I'll bet you bought it from a local friend Jim Maley. A fellow flea market competitor. Great guy. How can I tell? It is a "Paul" copy. I told you to go to the out of the way smaller dealers and box dive!

This show was epic! One of the best shows I have ever done sales wise. I was one of the few people with tons of affordable GA/SA. They were stacking them up. So much for the boards sale I was going to do...

I bought a ton of other cool GA. I also took a bunch of pictures. Most of the boardies (and there were many) who stopped by my booth. I will post my report in a couple of days.

Hey Robot Man, you are right in that the diligent purveyor of junk boxes will be rewarded. I scored this great Red Ryder Paul book in a castaway box in the ante room at Terry's show today. These books are under appreciated with great art and stories!

Awesome book 40! You are right, those are very under appreciated. I'll bet you bought it from a local friend Jim Maley. A fellow flea market competitor. Great guy. How can I tell? It is a "Paul" copy. I told you to go to the out of the way smaller dealers and box dive!

This show was epic! One of the best shows I have ever done sales wise. I was one of the few people with tons of affordable GA/SA. They were stacking them up. So much for the boards sale I was going to do...

I bought a ton of other cool GA. I also took a bunch of pictures. Most of the boardies (and there were many) who stopped by my booth. I will post my report in a couple of days.

:wishluck:

Looking forward to it, Bob!

Well another Terry O'Neil show has come and gone... I think it has been 12? I've been a dealer at all of them.This is probably my favorite show of the year and I look forward to it all year and now it's over. I'll try to give you a little "flavor" for it.

Terry puts this show on because he wants to bring back the "old school" real comic book shows. It's in a small Community Center and is only one day. Very intimate and action packed. I really like it that way. He doesn't make money on it and works very hard to put it on. He makes his money by bring every book he owns and probably does gang buster sales.

I arrived very early. (I'm a flea market guy so it doesn't seem early to me). I was one of the first in the room. I quickly unloaded by books, organized them and set up my rack. I like to not open until the public gets there and besides, I wanted to go shopping!

I heard there were several new collections and buys in the room so I made a bee line for Terry who had just picked up a huge collection of "teen age stuff". I was not disapointed as I was first on the load. Near complete runs of Farmer's Daughter, Ginger, Georgie, Margie, Nellie the Nurse ect. I had never seen so many of these all at one time and I managed to grab as many as I could 'till Harley and the rest hit the boxes.

I then hit cmfan out of Seattle who has posted his collection of 50 killer GA books. Stunning stuff but a lot of it I had or couldn't afford... (he became very popular very fast). I got a very nice Giant Comics Edition #6 with Matt Baker for a very good price. I was right on the edge on a nice Human Torch #12 but was told than Terry was thinking about it so I backed off.

My next stop was Jim Malley. A local guy that does mostly toys, advertising ect at the local shows and flea Markets. A good friend I've known forever. He used to be a comic book guy and still has a lot of his collection of GA. He was the guy that I turned on to the "Paul" collection after I got what I wanted. He ended up with most of it and still has quite a few left. He always gives me first pick of his stuff. Got a couple of nice books including a nice America's Best #31 I'd been wanting. He had stacks of raw un-bagged $5. books and I got a pile of cool beaters and readers as well as a nice Dizzy Dames #6!

I saw Forbush Man and Hap Hazzard roll in and got a cool National a couple Green Masks and some other cool GA. Great guy to deal with. Great books and excellent prices.

I missed Ray Storch who's boxes I love to dive into because he skipped this year. I hit Jamie Graham who I have really grown to love dealing with. Got a few books and he offered to give me an advance peek at the AMAZING DC collection that he and Terry had bought. I passed because I'm in pretty good shape DC wise and had limited time. More about that later.

Saul Zimmerman who is mostly an art dealer came by and informed me that he had sold all his GA to Harley so he didn't have anything I'd want. Too bad, because I love his stuff and prices. Made the trip quickly through the room buying as I went from almost everybody.

I later found that I screwed up and missed Brad Sloan because he wasn't ready yet. Turned out, he had a nice little GA collection on consignment. Nice high grade books with very nice prices. I managed later in the day to finish off my Bruce Gentry run and got a beautiful Spirit #4 horror issue upgrade and a couple crime books. I saw Sacauntaur in the booth and he had a beautiful Strange Worlds #5 in his hand. He put it back and Brian Peets grabbed it before I had a chance to. I guess you just can't get them all.

Time for the doors to open so I headed back to the book, took the lids off, stacked the rack and went to work. Saw tons of boardies come by the booth. I took pics of the ones that would let me and that I knew or introduced them selves. What a great bunch of guys we have here!