• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

Some of Terry's "teenage" stash and some other purchases. Man, these were cool to go through in his boxes. You just don't see this stuff like that. His prices seemed a little steep but I guess I am a little out of touch on them. Ricksneatstuff just wet his pants.Check with Terry he has a ton more and they wern't all at the show because he just got them.

terryshow2017e_zps6pcexs2p.jpg

lol I was cleaning up the floor as soon as I saw the pic!!

Not surprising. GGA makes me do that too.

:grin:

Nice games HepCat!

Anyone interested in board games might want to pick up these other two books by Rick Polizzi:

61x%2BOj2Cl-L._SS500_.jpg

61PTZ7PDZBL._SS500_.jpg

While not as comprehensive as some other books on board games, I found them more interesting because of their focus on the games of the baby boomer era. Polizzi was also the publisher of a short lived magazine on board games also entitled Spin Again which only ran for five issues in the early nineties.

Here's a great picture of Rick Polizzi with his board game collection from his website:

Natl1.jpg

Rick Polizzi evidently started collecting board games after stumbling on one he had as a kid in a thrift shop. By late 1990 his collection had grown to over 400 and at last count he has approximately 1500!

:o

Have any of you California fellows met Rick at any of the toy shows in the Golden State? I've only spoken with him on the phone some fifteen years ago.

???

I met Rick several times many years ago and contributed to his book with some of my games. I haven't seen or heard from him in many years. Maybe, he got 'em all and left the hobby...

My spoils from a fun day of picking!

terryshow2017l_zpsod4zitec.jpg

Nice pile Robot

Ditto and thanks for sharing pics of the show!!! Looks like a fantastic time!!

Thanks Gino, it was epic. Hard to believe it is over for another year. As many books as there were in there, the stuff you and I want was missing as usual. I saw a few Foxes and a couple of OK MLJs. One or two Speeds, No Catmans, No Centaurs, and only one decent Ace that I can remember. cmfan from the boards had a nice Banner priced very fair on his wall (check the pic I posted) but I already have one and didn't feel the need to upgrade it. Stuff we like was slim pickings so I just bought other stuff. Haven't met too many comics I don't like...

As did Buttock and Junkdrawer who I just met. Great guys who were enjoying the show and the great weather (finally). I pimped Buttock about that nice Friction House collection but he ain't selling yet so don't bug him.

terryshow2017g_zpsocxbqzzq.jpg

You guys are just to young to have such taste in books!

As did Buttock and Junkdrawer who I just met. Great guys who were enjoying the show and the great weather (finally). I pimped Buttock about that nice Friction House collection but he ain't selling yet so don't bug him.

I was quite surprised how young Buttock was in person. I was pumping him about his Friction House score but he didn't have any with him so I made him hold one of mine for the picture. The "young guys" are the future of this hobby and I am always glad to see them appreciate the GA stuff.

My spoils from a fun day of picking!

terryshow2017l_zpsod4zitec.jpg

Special Edition Comics No. 1 is one of my favorite books of all time. What a great addition to your collection!

Thanks Rich. Back in the day, I had a Whiz #1 and a Capt. Marvel #1 but have never had one of these. I got it just by chance as my helper brought it with an incredible low price on it. (Fawcetts are dead you know...so they say) He wanted to trade for it and didn't want much so I jumped at the chance. Hope you are feeling good!

I agree this is a fun one day show. It was fun to meet some out of town boardies, Junkdrawer has good taste in books, nice pick ups. I was happy with my selection also most came from those two boxes from Brad's booth. Here's two of them:
:applause: Thanks I have no complaints except I wanted more of them. I also like to thank you again for passing on the ManO Mars from Brad and giving me the opp for it. Its one of my favorite buys of the day.

Was great to meet you Junk. Next time I come back for the Brimfield show I really need to come by your shop. Looks like my kind of place!

I was quite surprised how young Buttock was in person. I was pumping him about his Friction House score but he didn't have any with him so I made him hold one of mine for the picture. The "young guys" are the future of this hobby and I am always glad to see them appreciate the GA stuff.

It was great to meet you in person Bob! Despite being "young" I think I first talked to you in 1995 if I have my records right!

There are a lot of enthusiastic golden age collectors that are pretty young. The entire Instagram collecting community appears to be ~30 and under, including the people that post gold regularly.

I'm 36, so maybe I qualify too. (shrug)

Considering I remember you being interested in them at what, age 24, I think you are grandfathered in!

Back when I was just an idealistic young pup with stars in his eyes.

Now you're just like the rest of us, a bitter, twisted loner...

Considering I remember you being interested in them at what, age 24, I think you are grandfathered in!

You're never alone here Gary. There's lots of us twisted folks to keep you company!

You're never alone here Gary. There's lots of us twisted folks to keep you company!

Yep. We try to run off all the normal people as soon as they arrive!

Yep. We try to run off all the normal people as soon as they arrive!

Yes...it was Abby something. Abby Normal...that's right! :insane:

The boards very own ciorac at his booth. Yes, Bill is alive and well but as I understand it, pretty tired working a full time job and keeping that new store going. Sadly, he had no GA for me this time. Good to see you Bill!

terryshow2017s_zps9k23ovbv.jpg

Great to see you again as well Bob :)