• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

:cloud9: Hurry and find another copy so I can buy that one from you... :banana:

BTW, I just made some flickr albums of some of my GA books...here's the one for my favorite covers...

There are 6 other albums too...check it out...you might have all of them... lol

Edited by tricolorbrian

Here are a few Spirit items. His first newspaper intert appearance was in 1940. This stuff is from that era. This is all the GA Spirit (non-comic) stuff I know of. The buttons are pretty large for the era, about 1-1/2" in diameter. The mask is pretty rare as not many probably survived.

spiritpins_zpsc580bd21.jpg

spiritmask1_zpsjom6ka9q.jpg

spiritmask2_zps6b1qtlii.jpg

Well, that makes two of us now...but yours is in a lot better shape than mine. The only problem I see with yours is the missing corner piece and a couple edge tears. Mine looks fairly good from the cover, but the book is falling apart with loose pieces all over the interior. I would grade mine Fair-.

33kbp53.jpg

OK, the people have spoken. I guess no more comics just the "other stuff" from now on. How about this cool grouping of Superman tin toys? They were all made by Marx Toys in 1940. This is both of the tin wind-up tanks and two of the 3 Superman wind-up ariplanes. I have the read and blue planes but not the silver one. These are very cool when wound up Supes flys over the plane until it catches up then he does it again until he runs "out of juice"

supermanplanetank_zps1a61ebc7.jpg

And while I am doing Superman, here is the incredibly rare 1942 Superman sheet music. I was dragged to a doll show with my wife a few years ago. A lady had a pile of sheet music and I was bored so I looked in the pile where I found this. Needless to say, I jumped all over it. I have only seen one other since I got this.

supermansheetmusic_zpsbjketwyg.jpg

You know, these boards have given me a new appreciation of my collection. I have obviously spent years chasing down this stuff but spent very little time it seems just enjoying what I have. Going through my collection to share it with you has been fun. So busy doing this that I haven't felt the need as strong to aquire more. (Not that that will ever happen), I'm just taking the time to "smell the roses" and re-read a lot of comics and look through stuff I haven't looked at in ages. (Saving some money too). Hopefully, I'm putting a slightly different slant on just collection comic books.

You know, these boards have given me a new appreciation of my collection. I have obviously spent years chasing down this stuff but spent very little time it seems just enjoying what I have. Going through my collection to share it with you has been fun. So busy doing this that I haven't felt the need as strong to aquire more. (Not that that will ever happen), I'm just taking the time to "smell the roses" and re-read a lot of comics and look through stuff I haven't looked at in ages. (Saving some money too). Hopefully, I'm putting a slightly different slant on just collection comic books.

So pleased that the Boards have been therapeutic for you :insane:

OK, the people have spoken. I guess no more comics just the "other stuff" from now on. How about this cool grouping of Superman tin toys? They were all made by Marx Toys in 1940. This is both of the tin wind-up tanks and two of the 3 Superman wind-up ariplanes. I have the read and blue planes but not the silver one. These are very cool when wound up Supes flys over the plane until it catches up then he does it again until he runs "out of juice"

supermanplanetank_zps1a61ebc7.jpg

Now, here's a question regarding the above.

Back in the pre-internet (and even with the nascent Convention scene) it was incredibly difficult to know WHAT was available unless one stumbled across it.

This was also before any sort of toy guide books, pin pack price guides were available.

With the Superman aeroplane (note correct spelling) toys, for example, did you know before obtaining any of them that there were three available?

The thing is, I knew of the existence of a Superman plane and a Superman tank - but thanks to your post I now know that there are "variants" if you will.

Was it just "word of mouth" that alerted you to the varieties available?

I ask because "back in the day" this sort of information was often tightly held by dealers and collectors - usually until their "needs" had been met.

Again, thanks for doing this. When I go through my old comics I do get a new appreciation/rediscovery feel too.

(And I won't mind the occasional comic posted, just so you know) :)

It's been a fun ride seeing the incredible stuff you have. Please keep it goin'!

Back in the pre-internet (and even with the nascent Convention scene) it was incredibly difficult to know WHAT was available unless one stumbled across it.

This was also before any sort of toy guide books, pin pack price guides were available.

With the Superman aeroplane (note correct spelling) toys, for example, did you know before obtaining any of them that there were three available?

The thing is, I knew of the existence of a Superman plane and a Superman tank - but thanks to your post I now know that there are "variants" if you will.

I ask because "back in the day" this sort of information was often tightly held by dealers and collectors - usually until their "needs" had been met.

Great question. It is something I have always been curious about as well, and I feel like I have been collecting for quite a while. Heck, I didn't know there were three planes until Bob's post. I do know there are two different size roll-over tanks. Had a chance to get a small one years ago, and saw a large one in someone's collection.

Great question. It is something I have always been curious about as well, and I feel like I have been collecting for quite a while. Heck, I didn't know there were three planes until Bob's post. I do know there are two different size roll-over tanks. Had a chance to get a small one years ago, and saw a large one in someone's collection.

Back in the pre Internet days. I would find a lot of stuff at flea markets, garage sales, toy and comic shows. Although the internet did not exist I got a lot of mail order and auction catalogues. Hakes Americana was a very valuable resource. I also corresponded with a lot of collectors who for the most part were pretty willing to share their knowledge and collections. Ego has always and still does come into play. Collectors like to brag and I would just suck up the info. Early on, everything was unknown and new. A great time to be a collector!