• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

I love these MAD imitator mags. Rarely do you find them and so many different titles as well. I wasn't sure how many I didn't already have but the price was so cheap I didn't have to sweat it and I bought them all. Needless to say I was jazzed! But... sitting in the middle of the pile was this...

commad1a_zpsclgq9nmm.jpg

A little rough but other than #23 it was the only other MAD in the bunch. I happily paid the man stuffed them in a bag and was on my way. When I got home I pulled it out to look at it and low and behold, look what was at the top of the first page!

commad1b_zps7dmpsrwz.jpg

I'm pretty tired now but this just made my day. Even better, the guy said they were part of an estate clean out he did and he has more. Probably the MAD magazines that obviously were not here and he said a lot of comic books as well. He told me he would be working for a couple of weeks and wouldn't be able to go to his storage unit until then. He seemed to be happy to be rid of them and he eagerly exchanged numbers so we can hook up in a few weeks. Keep your fingers crossed...

Got up early as always on a Sunday morning today. It's "junking" day. Hit the flea early as always. Walked around for an hour not finding anything until I came across this pile:

madimitatorlot_zpsd7xepfmk.jpg

was that from a dealer?...great price or giveaway price?...super lot

How about a few misc Superman items today?

First off is Superman's Buddy. A giveaway comic that came in the 1950's Superman costume box. I've only seen a few copies.

supermanbuddycomic_zpskvux5iwn.jpg

That is cool. Never seen it before.

A little rough but other than #23 it was the only other MAD in the bunch. I happily paid the man stuffed them in a bag and was on my way. When I got home I pulled it out to look at it and low and behold, look what was at the top of the first page!

commad1b_zps7dmpsrwz.jpg

Unbelievable find! You are a magnet for great stuff!

First off is Superman's Buddy. A giveaway comic that came in the 1950's Superman costume box. I've only seen a few copies.

Came with a Superman costume. The blue ink is a 1957 version. The original 1954 version was in color - talk about tough!

Scans below are not mine...

BTW, here is a great forum thread about Superman costumes with some great pics: Monster Kid Memories

155860.jpg.4fcd733bb2efacb6bc5fed04c8cddeee.jpg

155861.jpg.af17c44a720d0cb6cac7e04817f29064.jpg

155862.jpg.794a7a52dc50ec0ec5ebaa34ab08787e.jpg

commad1b_zps7dmpsrwz.jpg

I note a Robert Mark Sies passed away in Santa Monica in early May of this year. Perhaps his books? Wonder we he got that Gaines autograph?

commad1b_zps7dmpsrwz.jpg

I note a Robert Mark Sies passed away in Santa Monica in early May of this year. Perhaps his books? Wonder we he got that Gaines autograph?

I am sure you are correct. The guy I got these from mentioned they came from Santa Monica. Do you know this guy or anything about him? There is supposed to be a ton more. The guy I bought them from had a bunch of the EC and Disney bound sets. Mr Sies was apparently fond of ECs and Ducks. I hope to find out more in a few weeks when I meet up with him...

Came with a Superman costume. The blue ink is a 1957 version. The original 1954 version was in color - talk about tough!

Scans below are not mine...

BTW, here is a great forum thread about Superman costumes with some great pics: Monster Kid Memories

Thanks for the info. I have had this for years and didn't know much about it other than where it came from.

commad1b_zps7dmpsrwz.jpg

I am sure you are correct. The guy I got these from mentioned they came from Santa Monica. Do you know this guy or anything about him? There is supposed to be a ton more. The guy I bought them from had a bunch of the EC and Disney bound sets. Mr Sies was apparently fond of ECs and Ducks. I hope to find out more in a few weeks when I meet up with him...

Nope, just a simple Google search. Not much on the guy; probably spent his life reading comics! Good taste though; ECs and Disneys, my kind of comic fan!