• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

One more and then some of you have to start posting! When the Yellow Kid was popular in 1896-1898, you could walk into a tobacco store, buy a pack of cigarettes, and take a premium Yellow Kid pin from a large bowl full of them. They proved so popular that they had to be reprinted over and over. The first 16 had blue publication information at the bottom center of the pin and a paper insert in the back. The next issue had red information on the curl and went from #1-39, again with a paper insert in the back. The next series had a beautiful shiny black back and again went from #1-39. The next series was the famous easel back type that had a wire rim around the edge and a small easel on the back so the pin could stand up, once again for numbers #1-39. This is why the first 39 pins are more common and less expensive, they were reprinted so many times.. As their popularity increased and most smokers now had the 39 pins using the various varieties, the next publication had tin backs and went from #1-94.

YKEaselBacksN-1email.jpg

Then as interest waned, they jumped to the flag series and did #101-160 with tin backs.. Along the way some had small letters, some had large letters, etc, and I once had over 4,000 Yellow Kid pins trying to collect them not only by number but also by series and variations. Of course I finally gave up. My favorite series was the easel back pins, and this picture shows #1-39 except #2 is missing in the top center of the display.. If one of you has a copy of the #2 easel back, I would love to complete the set and would pay or trade generously for the missing pin. Every comic collector should have at least one Yellow Kid pin!

One more and then some of you have to start posting! When the Yellow Kid was popular in 1896-1898, you could walk into a tobacco store, buy a pack of cigarettes, and take a premium Yellow Kid pin from a large bowl full of them. They proved so popular that they had to be reprinted over and over. The first 16 had blue publication information at the bottom center of the pin and a paper insert in the back. The next issue had red information on the curl and went from #1-39, again with a paper insert in the back. The next series had a beautiful shiny black back and again went from #1-39. The next series was the famous easel back type that had a wire rim around the edge and a small easel on the back so the pin could stand up, once again for numbers #1-39. This is why the first 39 pins are more common and less expensive, they were reprinted so many times.. As their popularity increased and most smokers now had the 39 pins using the various varieties, the next publication had tin backs and went from #1-94.

YKEaselBacksN-1email.jpg

Then as interest waned, they jumped to the flag series and did #101-160 with tin backs.. Along the way some had small letters, some had large letters, etc, and I once had over 4,000 Yellow Kid pins trying to collect them not only by number but also by series and variations. Of course I finally gave up. My favorite series was the easel back pins, and this picture shows #1-39 except #2 is missing in the top center of the display.. If one of you has a copy of the #2 easel back, I would love to complete the set and would pay or trade generously for the missing pin. Every comic collector should have at least one Yellow Kid pin!

Great stuff Rich, we are heading to Hogan's Alley tomorrow. If I spot the Yellow Kid I'll shoot a picture.

Robo...are you still there......

Robot Man may still be having Photobucket image linking problems. (shrug)

If Bob had too many broken links his account might've been locked. It could take awhile to fix.

In the meantime, here's Bender's Nuts & Bolts chorus line to keep folks entertained...

bender-dance.gifbender-dance.gifbender-dance.gifbender-dance.gifbender-dance.gifbender-dance.gifbender-dance.gifbender-dance.gifbender-dance.gifbender-dance.gifbender-dance.gifbender-dance.gifbender-dance.gifbender-dance.gif

YKEaselBacksN-1email.jpg

TERRIFIC COLLECTION! :applause::applause::applause::applause:

Other than these scans, I have never seen a YELLOW KID Pin.

mm

Robo...are you still there......

Robot Man may still be having Photobucket image linking problems. (shrug)

If Bob had too many broken links his account might've been locked. It could take awhile to fix.

In the meantime, here's Bender's Nuts & Bolts chorus line to keep folks entertained...

bender-dance.gifbender-dance.gifbender-dance.gifbender-dance.gifbender-dance.gifbender-dance.gifbender-dance.gifbender-dance.gifbender-dance.gifbender-dance.gifbender-dance.gifbender-dance.gifbender-dance.gifbender-dance.gif

he can still post....?

Alright, first off. Many thanks for my good friend Rich for posting his wonderful stuff here. This thread is as much for my entertainment as yours. I want to see your "junk" as much as you want to see mine. So, if you take you gotta give... Keep me inspired.

Rich: Those are just wonderful rare items! The Yellow Kid pin set is one of the hardest sets to complete. I only know of one complete set other than yours. The easel backs are IMPOSSIBLE to find. I have had only 3 or 4 of them over the years. I know that most people here are comic book people but you are seeing something MUCH more rare than an Action #1 or a Detective #27. These are over 100 years old and just do not exist. If I ever run across #2 it will be a gift to you!

The Punjab decoder from Orphan Annie is spectacular! I have never seen or heard of one. It is now my favorite decoder by far. The size, shape and colors are just awsome. Thanks so much for sharing your killer stuff with us and please feel free to do so anytime you feel so inclined.

OK, secondly, about a week ago I finally tried to "organize" my photos in Photobucket. I had over 1,000 photos in one bucket. I had to troll through almost 50 pages of mixed up photos. It was way too much trouble so I decided to break them up in folders and do a subset of comics with them organized like they are filed in my own collection. Little did I know that by "breaking the link" they would all disappear in my thread. I will try some today and see if it is working again. I still have all of them. I will try and restore the first few pages and see if they work. The problem I have is there are 169 pages to this thread. I really don't feel like trying to do 'em all. I know they are old news and I doubt if anyone would want to wade through all these pages anyway. So, if there are any favorite posts I have made that you want to see again. Please let me know and I will try and re-post them again.

Also, sometimes there are things way more important in life other than junk and the boards. I have been real busy with work and am trying to buy a nice collection. In addition, I have had my 8 month old grandaughter living at my house for a week. She's a real handfull and much more fun than my junk anyway. So, I have been one busy Robot.

To do this thread the way I want to takes a LOT of work. It's pretty easy to post a book or two, get your ohs and aws and move on. Or not post anything at all and just lurk or throw out the occasional boy howdy! But to put together groups like I do takes some time for very little reward. I don't mind doing it as it is a labor of love and I know a lot of you appreciate it. So, I will continue to do it but maybe a little slower. Hey it's only been a week since my last post...

Alright, first off. Many thanks for my good friend Rich for posting his wonderful stuff here. This thread is as much for my entertainment as yours. I want to see your "junk" as much as you want to see mine. So, if you take you gotta give... Keep me inspired.

Rich: Those are just wonderful rare items! The Yellow Kid pin set is one of the hardest sets to complete. I only know of one complete set other than yours. The easel backs are IMPOSSIBLE to find. I have had only 3 or 4 of them over the years. I know that most people here are comic book people but you are seeing something MUCH more rare than an Action #1 or a Detective #27. These are over 100 years old and just do not exist. If I ever run across #2 it will be a gift to you!

The Punjab decoder from Orphan Annie is spectacular! I have never seen or heard of one. It is now my favorite decoder by far. The size, shape and colors are just awsome. Thanks so much for sharing your killer stuff with us and please feel free to do so anytime you feel so inclined.

So you pulled all those kewl images 'cuz folks haven't been posting as much non-comic related stuff? :o

What if you only have 40 years of junk? :ohnoez:

I didn't pull nuthin. Technology is a curse as well as a blessing. I don't care what you guys post here as long as it's cool and collectible. Heck, I love vintage electric guitars, classic cars and motorcycles, advertising, sports stuff and of course my first love GA comic books. Just join the parade and inspire me!

By they way, I went back in and restored my first couple of pages and they worked fine so hang on and we can continue the ride!

OK Mitch I'm back. I told you how to post pics. Join the parade like Rich, Cat and the other folks who have graciously shared their "junk" here and blow me away with just one killer piece! Otherwise, I might just have to back to sleep again for a while...

But to put together groups like I do takes some time for very little reward. I don't mind doing it as it is a labor of love and I know a lot of you appreciate it.

Yes, we do! :applause:

This thread has been a lot of fun.

YK%201%20Type%20Set%20obverse%20email.jpg

YK%201%20Type%20Set%20reverse%20email.jpg

My research indicates that there were six different varieties published of the first Yellow Kid pinback. If you look carefully, you will see that the button in the upper left has blue writing about the printer on the bottom center of the face of the button. Pair it with the reverse in the upper left and you can see that it had a paper insert in the back, as was typical of most pinbacks, and that pairing is the first variety. If you look at each pairing carefully, you will be able to see a difference between the six pairs. I believe that this is the only collection of all six varieties in existence..

Here is one last rarity for you. Everyone who collects premiums has seen a Little Orphan Annie cup or shake-up mug. They were published in several colors, with some more difficult to find than others. For some reason there was a very limited production of the orange LOA cup and most collectors have not seen it, but it really does exist.

LOA%20C-4.jpg

Here is one last rarity for you. Everyone who collects premiums has seen a Little Orphan Annie cup or shake-up mug. They were published in several colors, with some more difficult to find than others. For some reason there was a very limited production of the orange LOA cup and most collectors have not seen it, but it really does exist.

LOA%20C-4.jpg

I love this stuff. I would post things, but except for comics, I ain't got nothin'! :cry:

I didn't pull nuthin. Technology is a curse as well as a blessing. I don't care what you guys post here as long as it's cool and collectible. Heck, I love vintage electric guitars, classic cars and motorcycles, advertising, sports stuff and of course my first love GA comic books. Just join the parade and inspire me!

By they way, I went back in and restored my first couple of pages and they worked fine so hang on and we can continue the ride!

You do realize that I was just pullin' your leg? :gossip:

I figured it was a tech issue like the one plaguing some of the Photobucket users over in General.

Also, kudos to spending time with your grandchild, ...and I hope that I haven't made a faux pas in respect to that presumption. :blush:

Cheers,

Cat

:headbang:

LOA%20C-4.jpg

I love this stuff. I would post things, but except for comics, I ain't got nothin'! :cry:

Hey, this ain't all about non comic "junk". Post some cool Baker stuff. It might inspire to me to dig some more in MY Baker box!