• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

She probably got wise and discovered that the Rolling Stones were more fun.

comgrilsromancesbeatles_zpsszalhxha.jpg

Penny and the Rolling Stones? I don't think so, Ann Margret, and that brazen hussy is headed to Las Vegas and a rendezvous with Elvis.

Great thread. I have something to contribute relevant to this pop music area.

But wait, there's more... This is MY Golden Age of Rock 'N Roll. Call me a geezer if you want, but I was lucky enough to see Jimi, The Doors, Frank Zappa, Janis and many more Live! Sure beats Taylor Swift, The Pet Shop Boys and New Direction or whatever most of you got...

These are handbills. I have many of these and more in full poster size but these were handy and this way you will get more "bang for your buck" with these. My best friend in high school had an older sister that went to UC Berkley. She got a job will Bill Graham and about once a month would send him a tube with several of each of that months posters from Winterland and the Filmore. He would call me up and let me know when they came. The "price of admission" was a funny cigarette which we would consume up in the attic of his garage. My reward was one of each poster she sent him that was a duplicate. This happened for about 2 or 3 years. I hung a few on the walls of my bedroom but most were stored flat under my bed. So I have quite a few...

My favorite artist of the era was Rick Griffin. He left us WAY too soon but left a huge legacy of Rock Posters, Underground Comics and great art for Surfer magazines. These are a few of my favorites:

filmoreposters1_zpsafee62yh.jpg

A classic underground comic all by Rick:

comtalesfromthetube_zpsnrrczvxc.jpg

This is, I believe the only non photo cover of Surfer Magazine and Rick got the honor! Circa 1962 before he ventured north and was emersed in the hippy culture.

surfermagmurfthesurf_zpsvcrxajd3.jpg

Some vintage Dead, one of my favorite bands Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention and a band with a special place for me, The Byrds. My first concert was The Byrds and The Buffalo Springfield. What was yours?

filmoreposters5_zpsfwntfeq2.jpg

..... The Jackson 5 ....... circa 1972. Love these posters :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Some vintage Dead, one of my favorite bands Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention and a band with a special place for me, The Byrds. My first concert was The Byrds and The Buffalo Springfield. What was yours?

..... The Jackson 5 ....... circa 1972. Love these posters :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

Hey, good choice. My wife's was David Cassidy. It took her a little while to get on the bus. Our first date was the Who. 5th row at the Forum in LA. Oh, good times!

Hey, good choice. My wife's was David Cassidy. It took her a little while to get on the bus. Our first date was the Who. 5th row at the Forum in LA. Oh, good times!

....... you were certainly active during Prime Time. My second show was either ZZ Top or ELP......can't remember lol Hendrix or the Doors would have been awesome. GOD BLESS....

.... for the Top show, they were still just 3 dudes in flannel and jeans..... the "bells and whistles" came much later.....

ZZ Top good choice! I've seen them a few times at motorcycle events. When I saw Hendrix it was at the Santa Barbara Earl Warren Showgrounds. Probably 3,500 stoned surfer guys and girls. Great partying in the VW busses in the parking lot before the show.

I worked for Thomas Edison Lights during my senior year in high school. I was in the orchestra pit running all manner of psychedellic lighting effects at the Shrine Auditorium and the Rose Palace in Pasadena. Most memorable show was Zeppelin's first US tour. Didn't know who there were but was impressed fast!

ZZ Top good choice! I've seen them a few times at motorcycle events. When I saw Hendrix it was at the Santa Barbara Earl Warren Showgrounds. Probably 3,500 stoned surfer guys and girls. Great partying in the VW busses in the parking lot before the show.

I worked for Thomas Edison Lights during my senior year in high school. I was in the orchestra pit running all manner of psychedellic lighting effects at the Shrine Auditorium and the Rose Palace in Pasadena. Most memorable show was Zeppelin's first US tour. Didn't know who there were but was impressed fast!

ZZ Top headlined an outdoor show at the OKC Fairgrounds Speedway in June '74 (I think). The other groups I recall included Lynyrd Skynyrd and the Eric Burdon Band. ZZ Top performed from a semi-trailer open on one side; their stage "props" included a live long horn steer and buffalo. This was before Billy Gibbons had grown his beard out. Very Mutt & Jeff, Billy looking wiry and thin with a tall Stetson to Dusty Hill's shorter squat stature. Powerful performance of Texas blues with lots of material from Rio Grand Mud and Tres Hombres, much better than the less ambitious Top 40 stuff they were doing a few years later.

Everybody was going Beatle crazy even the girls on TV

commargiebeatles_zpsyj05e2px.jpg

Love this themed journey through time and space! Thanks for putting this together, I know it takes time and effort to weave it like a master.

Yeh I love the appearance covers. This Margie is great, a minor grail of sorts - last issue in the title, D'Agostino was "known" for being able to draw likenesses. Kinda! I dig his Margie more than his Ringo, though.

Griffin!! and don't you eat that yellow snow! lol

Your first concert was when the Byrds/Springfield did that high school/college tour in '66? Jealous. My first was the Who in '71 at Forest Hills Tennis Stadium, promoting Who's Next. Unbelievable set with a sprinkling of Tommy favorites. I was chain smoking Kools to get my buzz on. (thumbs u

That's funny as I was back in New Jersey this past week driving around the old stomping grounds with my brother. We drove by the Englishtown Flea Market I mentioned in my prior post and then came across a sign advertising David Cassidy performing at the Manalapan New Jersey Town Fair this past Saturday. Something about his tumble from teen age heart throb to Middle Age Mom Suburban crooner really made me laugh.

And no I didn't go!

Early on the question wasn't "Beatles" or "Stones" it was "Elvis" or "Beatles":

Elvis%20v%20Beatles%201265%20x%201664_zps2kvhkyhz.jpg

Here's a "Beatles at Carnegie Hall". Odd kinda thing, in that it was printed in England in 1964 - and this one has a 3/- Australian price printed.

:idea: A price variant. . .

Carnegie%20Beatles%201118%20x%201530_zpsevvde1o1.jpg

My first concert was very different. I went to see Bob Dylan at UCLA in1963 or 1964. All of a sudden, the house lights dimmed, all talking stopped, and he walked out on stage by himself in his denims carrying his guitar with his harmonica wired around his neck. He walked over to the spot and began singing. There was no opening act, no introduction. If you were there that night early in his career, you were there because you knew who he was. It was a fantastic night.

I was also at the Hollywood Bowl a few years later where things started out the same way. However, when he came out after intermission and the drapes opened, there was an orchestra on stage with him. He started singing, the orchestra started playing, and the crowd started booing! I would guestimate that about 25% of the audience got up and left by the end of the second song. Our prophet had forsaken us.

My first concert was very different. I went to see Bob Dylan at UCLA in1963 or 1964. All of a sudden, the house lights dimmed, all talking stopped, and he walked out on stage by himself in his denims carrying his guitar with his harmonica wired around his neck. He walked over to the spot and began singing. There was no opening act, no introduction. If you were there that night early in his career, you were there because you knew who he was. It was a fantastic night.

I was also at the Hollywood Bowl a few years later where things started out the same way. However, when he came out after intermission and the drapes opened, there was an orchestra on stage with him. He started singing, the orchestra started playing, and the crowd started booing! I would guestimate that about 25% of the audience got up and left by the end of the second song. Our prophet had forsaken us.

Orchestra - or a The band? I have a Hollywood Bowl bootleg from 1965 that is half acoustic and half very much electric.

BTW, my first concert (of any note) was Neil Young and Crazy Horse. Hey hey, my my.

I don't know for sure, it was a long time ago and all I remember for sure is that it was an electric background that none of us had ever seen, or even heard of, before that time.

Any chance of getting a copy?

Keith Richards had a big influence on me. After hearing the early Stones stuff, it made me want a guitar. I remember my mom hearing some stones stuff I was trying to play in my bed room. She proceeded to make me listen to Muddy Waters, Howlin Wolf and Bessie Smith. My mom was apparently quite the beatnik and hipster in her day and I didn't know it. She grew up in San Francisco and saw all the big bands live. Found all kinds of early Bee Bop jazz 78s in her record collection after she passed away. She was very supportive of my limited guitar talent at the time.

Come on, any body else ever go to their first concert?

Keith Richards had a big influence on me. After hearing the early Stones stuff, it made me want a guitar. I remember my mom hearing some stones stuff I was trying to play in my bed room. She proceeded to make me listen to Muddy Waters, Howlin Wolf and Bessie Smith. My mom was apparently quite the beatnik and hipster in her day and I didn't know it. She grew up in San Francisco and saw all the big bands live. Found all kinds of early Bee Bop jazz 78s in her record collection after she passed away. She was very supportive of my limited guitar talent at the time.

Come on, any body else ever go to their first concert?

I was never a concert guy but was lucky enough to have gone to high school and college with one of Bruce Springsteen's cousin during the late seventies and early eighties when Bruce had hit it big. Bruce was from my hometown, Freehold, NJ and I remember him and his buddies playing for our grammar school class and then he really took off with the E Street band when I started high school.

Anyway, my buddy got Bruce to send him tickets to a concert at Madison Square Garden with some manner of back stage pass. We had great seats on the floor and he played for four hours! It was an amazing show.

The back stage passes basically got us into some kind of bar in the Garden where beers were $4-5 each which was way more than our college budgets could handle; so we split for some other place.

I'm still friends with his cousin but we don't seem to go to concerts anymore although we still enjoy tilting back a beer and telling tales of our college days when we see each other.

All i remember is my mom ordered me my first record. Hank williams what you got cooking.

Than i ordered origin of marvel comics 1974 from one of the adds.

Than the worst decision i ever made. Ordered my Marvel value stamp book.

Than i cut all my comics up for the stamp. All my buddys books also and so on so on.

Than AC/DC that was still ok.

Than ozzy osbourne and judas priest next thing i know its 1995.

Than The best part of all was my mom put my comics away and gave them back.

Tec 1 and 27 Bat 1 Sup 1 Marvel 1 Action 13 AND the best one of all my Marvel value stamp book. I had binder paper and all my Marvel stickers stuck to them. A lot of 300 boxes with 25 cents sticker on m Spidermans 20 to 100 FFs just my 25 cents box.

Edited by woowoo