• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

PunjabsMysticCodeTranslator2email.jpg

Decoders were very popular during the golden age of premiums. They were made of metal, and then paper during the war years. I always thought that the most beautiful one was the Punjab Mystic Code Translator published in a Sears Christmas giveaway comic.

PunjabsMysticCodeTranslator2email.jpg

Decoders were very popular during the golden age of premiums. They were made of metal, and then paper during the war years. I always thought that the most beautiful one was the Punjab Mystic Code Translator published in a Sears Christmas giveaway comic.

TERRIFIC! :applause::applause::applause:

mm

popularcomicsign_zps79282352.jpg

What happened?

(shrug)

I thought it was just a couple of broken links, so I did a mock-up of a slightly different cat image than P-bucket uses, but it looks like every one of Bob's photos have vanished! :ohnoez:

Wait a minute, maybe this has something to do with it... hm

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8674181&fpart=1

P.S.: Apparently the issue is limited to Explorer & Chrome.

TipTopComicsadforsubscriptiongiftpicturesemail.jpg

Bob asked me to post a few more premiums. In 1937, Tip Top Comics would give you four 8x10 prints of their leading characters if you subscribed. I am still looking for the Captain and the Kids print if anyone wants to part with one. My next post will show the Tarzan print.

TipTopComicsadforsubscriptiongiftpicturesemail.jpg

Bob asked me to post a few more premiums. In 1937, Tip Top Comics would give you four 8x10 prints of their leading characters if you subscribed. I am still looking for the Captain and the Kids print if anyone wants to part with one. My next post will show the Tarzan print.

LOASweaterCombo.jpg

Little Orphan Annie and Tracy were two of the most popular newspaper comic strips. They were not only reprinted as comic books, BLB's, etc., but they were also merchandised in a wide variety of forms. One form was the popular Little Orphan Annie sweater. The box on the right is what the buyer would get when purchasing a new sweater, complete with a nice illustration by Harold Gray. The box on the left was sent to dealers and held several of the customer boxes. This was being produced at the time in the comic strip when Punjab gave LOA a magic whistle to blow anytime she needed his help. Most people have never seen this box so they have not seen the picture of the whistles, which aren't marked. If a person saw one, they wouldn't know what it was without the picture on the box. The most experienced premium collectors I know have never seen the whistle, and these five might be the only ones known. I also placed the LOA sweater pinbacks on the box for looks but they did not come with it. I use these whistles as an example of something that is very rare but not expensive, in part because they are unknown, as opposed to so many things in our hobby that are expensive but not overly rare. The law of Supply and Demand strikes once again. Just imagine what an Action #1 would sell for if there were only five known copies!

LOASweaterCombo.jpg

Little Orphan Annie and Tracy were two of the most popular newspaper comic strips. They were not only reprinted as comic books, BLB's, etc., but they were also merchandised in a wide variety of forms. One form was the popular Little Orphan Annie sweater. The box on the right is what the buyer would get when purchasing a new sweater, complete with a nice illustration by Harold Gray. The box on the left was sent to dealers and held several of the customer boxes. This was being produced at the time in the comic strip when Punjab gave LOA a magic whistle to blow anytime she needed his help. Most people have never seen this box so they have not seen the picture of the whistles, which aren't marked. If a person saw one, they wouldn't know what it was without the picture on the box. The most experienced premium collectors I know have never seen the whistle, and these five might be the only ones known. I also placed the LOA sweater pinbacks on the box for looks but they did not come with it. I use these whistles as an example of something that is very rare but not expensive, in part because they are unknown, as opposed to so many things in our hobby that are expensive but not overly rare. The law of Supply and Demand strikes once again. Just imagine what an Action #1 would sell for if there were only five known copies!

Treasures abound at Red Oak :applause: