• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

Keith Richards had a big influence on me. After hearing the early Stones stuff, it made me want a guitar. I remember my mom hearing some stones stuff I was trying to play in my bed room. She proceeded to make me listen to Muddy Waters, Howlin Wolf and Bessie Smith. My mom was apparently quite the beatnik and hipster in her day and I didn't know it. She grew up in San Francisco and saw all the big bands live. Found all kinds of early Bee Bop jazz 78s in her record collection after she passed away. She was very supportive of my limited guitar talent at the time.

Come on, any body else ever go to their first concert?

I was never a concert guy but was lucky enough to have gone to high school and college with one of Bruce Springsteen's cousin during the late seventies and early eighties when Bruce had hit it big. Bruce was from my hometown, Freehold, NJ and I remember him and his buddies playing for our grammar school class and then he really took off with the E Street band when I started high school.

Anyway, my buddy got Bruce to send him tickets to a concert at Madison Square Garden with some manner of back stage pass. We had great seats on the floor and he played for four hours! It was an amazing show.

The back stage passes basically got us into some kind of bar in the Garden where beers were $4-5 each which was way more than our college budgets could handle; so we split for some other place.

I'm still friends with his cousin but we don't seem to go to concerts anymore although we still enjoy tilting back a beer and telling tales of our college days when we see each other.

Great story.

All i remember is my mom ordered me my first record. Hank williams what you got cooking.

Than i ordered origin of marvel comics 1974 from one of the adds.

Than the worst decision i ever made. Ordered my Marvel value stamp book.

Than i cut all my comics up for the stamp. All my buddys books also and so on so on.

Than AC/DC that was still ok.

Than ozzy osbourne and judas priest next thing i know its 1995.

Than The best part of all was my mom put my comics away and gave them back.

Tec 1 and 27 Bat 1 Sup 1 Marvel 1 Action 13 AND the best one of all my Marvel value stamp book. I had binder paper and all my Marvel stickers stuck to them. A lot of 300 boxes with 25 cents sticker on m Spidermans 20 to 100 FFs just my 25 cents box.

First record I ever bought with my own money. $1.98 for the Rolling Stones Now at Dolly's records. Had to stand in line with my pal Larry. Went over to his house because his parents wern't home and we could play it loud.

Did you try to tape back in the stamps in your books? (Had a friend that did that)

Keith Richards had a big influence on me. After hearing the early Stones stuff, it made me want a guitar. I remember my mom hearing some stones stuff I was trying to play in my bed room. She proceeded to make me listen to Muddy Waters, Howlin Wolf and Bessie Smith. My mom was apparently quite the beatnik and hipster in her day and I didn't know it. She grew up in San Francisco and saw all the big bands live. Found all kinds of early Bee Bop jazz 78s in her record collection after she passed away. She was very supportive of my limited guitar talent at the time.

Come on, any body else ever go to their first concert?

I was never a concert guy but was lucky enough to have gone to high school and college with one of Bruce Springsteen's cousin during the late seventies and early eighties when Bruce had hit it big. Bruce was from my hometown, Freehold, NJ and I remember him and his buddies playing for our grammar school class and then he really took off with the E Street band when I started high school.

Anyway, my buddy got Bruce to send him tickets to a concert at Madison Square Garden with some manner of back stage pass. We had great seats on the floor and he played for four hours! It was an amazing show.

The back stage passes basically got us into some kind of bar in the Garden where beers were $4-5 each which was way more than our college budgets could handle; so we split for some other place.

I'm still friends with his cousin but we don't seem to go to concerts anymore although we still enjoy tilting back a beer and telling tales of our college days when we see each other.

Wow, Bruce at your grammer school! We had Steppinwolf and the Iron Butterfly at my high school. (2 different shows) I think I remember 3 Dog Night too.

All i remember is my mom ordered me my first record. Hank williams what you got cooking.

Than i ordered origin of marvel comics 1974 from one of the adds.

Than the worst decision i ever made. Ordered my Marvel value stamp book.

Than i cut all my comics up for the stamp. All my buddys books also and so on so on.

Than AC/DC that was still ok.

Than ozzy osbourne and judas priest next thing i know its 1995.

Than The best part of all was my mom put my comics away and gave them back.

Tec 1 and 27 Bat 1 Sup 1 Marvel 1 Action 13 AND the best one of all my Marvel value stamp book. I had binder paper and all my Marvel stickers stuck to them. A lot of 300 boxes with 25 cents sticker on m Spidermans 20 to 100 FFs just my 25 cents box.

First record I ever bought with my own money. $1.98 for the Rolling Stones Now at Dolly's records. Had to stand in line with my pal Larry. Went over to his house because his parents wern't home and we could play it loud.

Did you try to tape back in the stamps in your books? (Had a friend that did that)

I rip the pages out. :screwy:

Back to comics... Got a quick one for you today. Was going through one of my Nedor boxes and noticed something they happened to do in a few of. These are kind of weird for a child's comic book. We all know of "Women in Peril" comics but these are a little darker. "Children in Peril" covers. Pretty shocking for comic books aimed at kids. Don't know if it taught them a lesson or scared them. I could only thing of one other that wasn't a Nedor. I'm sure there might be a few more.

comcrimedoesnotpay46_zpsdqlmxzsf.jpg

ZZ Top

They are royalty around here. Dusty Hill has shopped in our Clear Lake store. Frank Beard's mom lived right around the corner from one of my high school friends. We would see him shopping at the grocery store all the time. And Billy Gibbons is everywhere. I always see him at Cactus Records. He is a lot smaller in person than he looks on stage. But he wears that funny hat all the time. When I was in 5th and 6th grade ('74 - '75) they had a rehearsal studio in a house just over the fence (literally) from our house. We could hear them playing. One of the guys drove an old Bentley that was painted up and had longhorns on the front. Tres Hombres is still one of my "desert island" records. I listen to it regularly. If you listen to Master of Sparks on that record they mention throwing the metal cage out of the truck "out in the sticks on Highway 6". We just opened a store there. It ain't the sticks any more.

ZZ Top

They are royalty around here. Dusty Hill has shopped in our Clear Lake store. Frank Beard's mom lived right around the corner from one of my high school friends. We would see him shopping at the grocery store all the time. And Billy Gibbons is everywhere. I always see him at Cactus Records. He is a lot smaller in person than he looks on stage. But he wears that funny hat all the time. When I was in 5th and 6th grade ('74 - '75) they had a rehearsal studio in a house just over the fence (literally) from our house. We could hear them playing. One of the guys drove an old Bentley that was painted up and had longhorns on the front. Tres Hombres is still one of my "desert island" records. I listen to it regularly. If you listen to Master of Sparks on that record they mention throwing the metal cage out of the truck "out in the sticks on Highway 6". We just opened a store there. It ain't the sticks any more.

Yeah, I can understand that. I love Texas blues almost as much as Chicago blues. Top, Stevie Ray Vaughn but most of all, Johnny Winter. It hit me hard when he passed. Big influence on my guitar playing.

ZZ Top

Yeah, I can understand that. I love Texas blues almost as much as Chicago blues. Top, Stevie Ray Vaughn but most of all, Johnny Winter. It hit me hard when he passed. Big influence on my guitar playing.

Saw Johnny Winter about five years ago. Well, saw him is kind of a stretch. Went to the show. It was packed. General admission at a big bar and everyone was standing.The stage was not on any kind of riser and he played sitting down. Sounded great though. I used to see Stevie Ray at Antone's before he was anything but a Texas legend. Man he was good. We were so excited when it was announced that he would be playing on the Bowie Let's Dance album. Even though the album is pretty good that was a little bit of a let down as his parts were practically mixed out of sound. Then his first album came out and it was the beginning of worldwide acclaim. And he just seemed to get better and better.

Never got to see Stevie. Sure would have liked to. About the only one who could do Hendrix right. Yeah, I remember Johnny Winter on Letterman a couple years ago. He was sitting down but still had those lightning fingers and barrel house roar. I kind of figured what might be coming. I saw an obscure Utube clip of Johnny playing guitar for Janis Joplin. What a pair! Both from Beaumont I believe. I drove through there once in the late '70's as quickly as possible. I was told at the "fillin' station" that they didn't want my hippie in their town. They didn't have to say it twice! They wouldn't serve us in Abilene on the way back in a diner. Panhandle sucks!

Never got to see Stevie. Sure would have liked to. About the only one who could do Hendrix right. Yeah, I remember Johnny Winter on Letterman a couple years ago. He was sitting down but still had those lightning fingers and barrel house roar. I kind of figured what might be coming. I saw an obscure Utube clip of Johnny playing guitar for Janis Joplin. What a pair! Both from Beaumont I believe. I drove through there once in the late '70's as quickly as possible. I was told at the "fillin' station" that they didn't want my hippie in their town. They didn't have to say it twice! They wouldn't serve us in Abilene on the way back in a diner. Panhandle sucks!

Yep. That sounds like my state. Glad I live in Houston...the most integrated city in the country.

Interesting small world story about that area...Janis was actually from Port Arthur which is right next to Beaumont. My second wife Shannon is also from that area. Her mother went to high school with Stevie Ray Vaughn's bass player Tommy Shannon and she was named after him.

ZZ Top

"........I could tell that they was mine, by the oil and the gasoline......" :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I grew up in Eastern Washington where being able to see great bands was rare, a story I can contribute is I was living in Seattle in the early 90's and witnessed the the rise of the Seattle Grunge Sound. Saw many bands as they were starting out at that time. The best concert I saw was Nirvana in 1991 on Halloween night at the Paramount theater. The concert was recorded and filmed, Its fun going on You Tube and watching parts of that concert. I'm always surprise how much of the show I've forgotten!

First concert was Gary Puckett and the Union Gap in Chicago at the Auditorium Theater in the summer of 1969. Drove up from Joliet with my girlfriend in my dad's big old Buick LeSabre. I still remember driving down LSD (Lake Shore Drive) at midnight with the windows rolled down.

Back to comics... Got a quick one for you today. Was going through one of my Nedor boxes and noticed something they happened to do in a few of. These are kind of weird for a child's comic book. We all know of "Women in Peril" comics but these are a little darker. "Children in Peril" covers. Pretty shocking for comic books aimed at kids. Don't know if it taught them a lesson or scared them. I could only thing of one other that wasn't a Nedor. I'm sure there might be a few more.

comcrimedoesnotpay46_zpsdqlmxzsf.jpg

I get the feeling that the Biro books weren't all aimed at kids. I thought that there was a significant readership of comics in the forties that were of an older demographic. Not sure if there are any numbers to support that but if you think about all the books sent out to the GI's in WWII they skewed much older.

Busted Flush and I always joke that based on his covers Biro must have been out at lunch every day hitting the sauce pretty hard. And of course with the way things ended up with his partner Wood that is probably not too far from the truth!

Yeah, I know what you mean. Most of those Crime Does Not Pay covers were pretty brutal. Biro was one weird guy I think. But Schomburg really had a thing for "kid" covers. I always wondered how it would be to be a kid and walk up and plunk your dime for some of these books. Especially some of the EC Crime Suspense Stories. Very few of us had that opportunity other than Fifties and Marty.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Most of those Crime Does Not Pay covers were pretty brutal. Biro was one weird guy I think. But Schomburg really had a thing for "kid" covers. I always wondered how it would be to be a kid and walk up and plunk your dime for some of these books. Especially some of the EC Crime Suspense Stories. Very few of us had that opportunity other than Fifties and Marty.

These covers did stand out next to the "funny animals".

<a  href=https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8505/8538062254_e63f585d7d_z.jpg' alt='8538062254_e63f585d7d_z.jpg'>IMG SHOCK SUSPENSE #8

mm