• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

OK, I found one more for you. Another shot of the bound volumes. These are the 3 on the right side of the previous photo. Just another cool score from the Robot Man world. I was at a flea market and walked up to a table. On it was two full year bound volumes from 1951 and 1952 of Hot Rod Magazine. Not my thing, but the gearheads out here eat them up. So, here was the conversation: Me "Hey man, how much are the Hot Rod books?" Seller: "The Hot Rods are $15. each and the Comics are $10 each", Me: "Comics???", Seller: "Oh, they are inder the car mags". I picked them up and my eyes probably bugged out. The guy said without me even offering "how about $50 for all of them". I would have happily paid his asking price but I think I was in shock. I paid the nice man and was on my way. One volume was about 20-25 precode horror books, one volume was a lot of Quality including 5 Torchy's and first issues of Ken Shannon some Police ect and misc crime books. The last one was a little disapointing at first. A bunch of DC funny animals, Mutt & Jeff and then I got to the middle and saw Mystery in Space #1, Avon Strange Worlds #3,4,5 and Rocket to the Moon! I just went to my car and drove home without even finishing up the last few rows. I was so shocked that I didn't even ask him if he had any more... (note the volumes on the spines)

boundvolumes2_zps90556ce8.jpg

OK, I found one more for you. Another shot of the bound volumes. These are the 3 on the right side of the previous photo. Just another cool score from the Robot Man world. I was at a flea market and walked up to a table. On it was two full year bound volumes from 1951 and 1952 of Hot Rod Magazine. Not my thing, but the gearheads out here eat them up. So, here was the conversation: Me "Hey man, how much are the Hot Rod books?" Seller: "The Hot Rods are $15. each and the Comics are $10 each", Me: "Comics???", Seller: "Oh, they are inder the car mags". I picked them up and my eyes probably bugged out. The guy said without me even offering "how about $50 for all of them". I would have happily paid his asking price but I think I was in shock. I paid the nice man and was on my way. One volume was about 20-25 precode horror books, one volume was a lot of Quality including 5 Torchy's and first issues of Ken Shannon some Police ect and misc crime books. The last one was a little disapointing at first. A bunch of DC funny animals, Mutt & Jeff and then I got to the middle and saw Mystery in Space #1, Avon Strange Worlds #3,4,5 and Rocket to the Moon! I just went to my car and drove home without even finishing up the last few rows. I was so shocked that I didn't even ask him if he had any more... (note the volumes on the spines)

This is best post of the year so far....keep it going my friend, you should rename your collection...50 years of awesomeness.

Wow...I didn't know they had dump trucks in the 1820s...but I'm sure that was just a typo...1920s dump truck...Nice!

I've told this before, but one day in 1994 I was driving down a street in the older part of Santa Maria, CA and asked an old man watering his lawn if he saved any old comics. He said he thought he did, and the next day he called me and I bought 4 comics from him. It was all he had. Two Popular's from 1937, 1 Famous Funnies from 1938, and a Detective 39 (Peter will remember that one, he wanted to buy it from me last year). He also had a two foot high stack of old Posts from the 30s, 40s and 50s. AND, a real old Coke truck. It was metal and pretty beat up. I didn't buy it, but I bought all the Posts... :cloud9:

Edited by tricolorbrian

Which issues of Popeye do you have?

Back in the sixties Roy and Jerry had some of their comics bound because that's what Gardner Fox did, I think. Other collectors followed their example.

Perhaps it was also an early attempt at preservation. I would have done it if I could afford it. I have a few pulp collections bound. I think some of the libraries did that too.

Edited by BB-Gun

Hi Johnny, yes there were Atlas along with Harvey, EC, Story Pubs. and most of the pre-code companies. I don't have it handy but I do remember Chamber of Chills #19, Dark Mysteries #12,13, Astonishing #30 and others. A great cross section of all titles. Was fun just turning the pages to see what what was in there.

I bought from Howard but he would substitute books every time I ordered a ga book. Does anybody know what ever happened to him

Howard has been involved in organizing celebrity shows in NY. He was also at the 2014 NY Comic Con

New York Comic Con 2014: Howard Rogofsky

Again, the are not in front of me but the Popeyes are full years from 1951 and 1952 I believe. Dell file copies. I got 'em on ebay a few years back. Another bound volume ebay purchase a couple years ago a guy had bound volumes of Mighty Mouse, Terry Toons, Comedy ect. I was the high bidder on all but one I think. One had first Mighty Mouse and one had first Heckle & Jeckle. Some great covers as well. He didn't note it, but when they came they had "library" stamps inside the covers and were from the animation studios that did the cartoons. Technically Timely bound volumes.

Come on Mitch just give me one story like Brian did. Don't play hard to get. I know you got 'em too. You told one or two when you first came on. You can even PM me. I promise I won't tell if you don't want me to. The stuff is cool but the stories are WAY better. Don't make me ask Theo!

A question guys. If I want to reply to a post in this thread say just Brian's, how do I do it. Right now, I'm just doing at the bottom of whatever the last post is.

At the bottom of a persons message are buttons (reply, quote, quickquote, etc...)

comicbookpremiums_zpsd424f76f.jpg

I know that I am late to the game here Bob, but I wanted to say welcome and congratulations on a fantastic collection. It was a real treat to peruse. I particularly enjoyed this picture as I have both of those Shield G-man pins, but never seen the card that went with them.

Thanks for sharing! (thumbs u

You bet! Glad you guys enjoy this stuff. I will show some more close up shots and explain what they are as I get the time. There is actually an other ones. It is a little bigger and has a blue rim. I got one now but didn't have it when I originally took this picture.

Brian Now that's what I'm talking about. A Tec 39??? Wow. Probably shouldda bought that Coke truck instead of the Posts... I love those stories. Come on people, "bring out yer dead"

It was in rough shape, but so was the Tec-covers severed, pieces missing, etc., etc....I had it restored. The comic cost X dollars and the restoration was many times X dollars...Here it is now...Oooh...kinda nice...:

29n6nib.jpg

I think the Coke truck was this one...but missing a couple bottles and in need of paint...he wanted $20...I probably should have bought it, but i got a lot of Rockwell Posts and Leyendeckers for $1 each...

ipw2o2.jpg

The old man was funny...he would tell me dirty jokes for an hour...

Edited by tricolorbrian