• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

Hi Gang. My name is Robot Man and I am obsessed with junk! I have lurked on these boards for a while now and thought I'd sign up for the fun.

I have been collecting since the early '60's. I first bought Batman and DC war comics off the stands in the late '50's. When Marvel comics first came out I started buying them as well. I wouldn't say I "collected" them at this time but searched out and bought them every month as they came out.

I remember my Grandpa buying me MAD #72. I read it to bits and when #73 came out I bought it as well. This has continued until this day. I would trade with kids in the neighborhood for any earlier issues I didn't have. What turned me into a "collector" was the day my dad took me to Cherokee books in Hollywood. There, thumbtacked to the wall in a bag was MAD #9. It looked so different but I had to have it. I gave Bert Blum $2.00 for it. This was the only time I ever paid more than cover price for a comic. I was hooked and made many trips with my dad to Cherokee, Collector's Book Store and Bond Street Books around the corner adding to my ever growing stash.

I hit all the used book stores I could ride my bike to. When I could drive, I started hitting a bigger area as well as garage sales and flea markets like the Rose Bowl grabbing all the old comics I could find. I especially loved the EC line and old pre-code horror comics. One day at the Rose Bowl I spotted a big tin battery opperated robot. The price was right and I just couldn't put down that cool blank stared face. So in addition to comics I found myself looking for old space and comic character toys, pinback buttons and premiums. The rest as they say is history... So now I live in a house full of comics, toys, premiums, advertising stuff rock 'n roll items and other symbols of "Americana".

As you can see my collection is very diverse and my interests are wide. I see many of what you have collected and share your love for this stuff. Hopefully, I can use this thread to share some my stuff and experience in the hobby. I enjoy the "thrill of the hunt" the most in collecting. I am not really a condition freak although over the years I've found my share of high grade stuff. A lot of my stuff might be in lower grade than what I see here, but I get what I can get and love to find unusual or scarce items. I will happily take a lower grade book than not have it all.

I might be a newbie to the boards, but am a veteran collector. Please be patient with me as I get started and hopefully we can all have a little fun!

I'm going to try and post my first photo of a few of my favorite comics. If it goes OK, I'll post more later.

scoopcomics2_zpsadb1130b.jpg

Here some of my collection of Comic Book and pulp premiums. There are some time way rarer than the books themselves. (It pays to look inside your books to find all the cool clubs that you might not knew existed).

comicbookpremiums_zpsd424f76f.jpg

Bob

Welcome Bob. Love the comics in your collection and the premiums and the robots and ray guns. :banana:I have a few of those but not seen many of the toys except at the Geppi museum. 8964297993_bec036d307_b.jpg2288276021_58ab980799.jpg3410299614_5d93c3cab4.jpg Edited by BB-Gun

Thanks BB. I've enjoyed seeing your stuff too. I think we have similar tastes. I know you live in PA. Some of the best flea markets in the country. I love going once a year to Addamstown, Kutztown and the area around these. Surely, you must bump into some great toys in that area? I know I've found some real cool stuff everytime I'm there.

Bob

Hi Gang. Yes, I will from try and keep my stuff mostly in this thread. I've got some cool ideas but just have to make the time to shoot photos and post it. "All in good time my pretties!"

Oh no matter what we all say, this really is "junk" to most "normal people". If you don't believe me, take one of your favorite comics into 7-11 and try and trade it for a 6 pack...

But us "abnormal" people with refined tastes know the real story.

And finally another cool flea market score. A 1950's wooden Dell comics store rack. One of several old comic racks I've turned up over the years. I switch it up all the time. I just had it full of Christmas comics. My non-collection friends always find it fun. dellcomicrack_zps75f0f72a.jpg

Bob

Brilliant...or deranged...minds think alike!

Dell_Rack.jpg

I can't believe that huge Captain America annual...are there not only like two or three known!?

And that Voodoo Annual..looks brand new!I thought it was a reprint at first....

And Blimey..that Roly Poly Comics...... :o Do you have one of those Richard?

And,...and...and...SO FANTASTIC!I'm getting hyper.... :ohnoez:

Edited by porcupine48

brogershelmet1_zps37c71c13.jpg

Thanks again for clearing up another mystery -

"How was your day dear?"

"Well, I had to dedicate and sign 100's of these #@*@# pictures" :mad:lol

Now, this is a beautifully preserved helmet - I mean the visor hasn't aged a day since manufacture - and it is exactly the sort of thing that Howard Rogofsky use to feature in his mail-out catalogues in the early seventies.

The ones that had no pictures, usually a blue cover (with the punter's name and address pasted on along with the postage) and "sealed" at the open end by a single piece of tape.

Did you ever buy anything from Howard? His prices were truly spectacular on some items (I recall a Buck Rogers bicycle that he listed at $2,000) and some of your stuff (especially the pins and decoder rings) use to feature, along with taped but perfect comic books. lol

Hi Gang. My name is Robot Man and I am obsessed with junk! I have lurked on these boards for a while now and thought I'd sign up for the fun.

One of my favorite pieces that I traded for many moons ago. And yes, the autographs are real. I schlepped this to a couple early San Diego Cons at the El Cortez to get these two gentlemen to sign it. They were both pretty blown away when I walked up with it!

supermanpuzzle_zps77558a5c.jpg

More old comic character, advertising, sports and political pinback buttons. These are way cool and usually pretty hard to find. You can have tons of them in a very small amount of space.

pinbacks_zps7144ba7f.jpg

Bob

6652666547_dcd683ff1d_b.jpg It's wonderful to see a signed Superman puzzle. I wonder who would have to sign my Captain Marvel Engine of Doom?

Glad to have you on board Robot Man and thanks for sharing your treasures :applause: Looking forward to seeing more :wishluck: I haven't been to the RoseBowl flea market in about a year and a half. Are there still vintage comics to be had for a good price? . I know there was a covered area there where it's strictly comics, toys, and some video games. Not sure if it is still around, but I didn't see any good deals there.

For a while they had that interior/underground area that catered to comics, I haven't seen that set up since they renovated the Rose Bowl going back 18-24 months or so.

Well, I guess it really has been that long since I've been there last lol

Some of my MAD Magazine/Alfred E. Neuman stuff. How many of you knew Alfred was around long before MAD adopted him? The earliest item I have is an 1896 dental callendar and glass paperweight (only one I've ever seen).

madstuff_zps3bf9e1a2.jpg

Great MAD stuff!!! I am a huge fan. You definitely went above and beyond and picked up that pre-mad Alfred E-. Neuman stuff. I noticed that you have the old shirt. Have you had the chance to pick up the straight jacket too?

I bought from Howard but he would substitute books every time I ordered a ga book. Does anybody know what ever happened to him

I must've been lucky. Most of my first choices were shipped, but at that time I was collecting Plastic Man & ECs.

Awhile back someone posted a picture of Howard taken when he was featured on guest panel at the last NYCC.

He's apparently in real good shape for a guy in his seventies.

Yeah, Howard probably used all that money he took from us fanboys for good plastic surgery... I never really ordered much from him. Like Mitch said, he would always send something else I didn't want. I had to scrimp and save for EC's then I would get a Blackhawk? WTF? I did get a lot of stuff from Robert Bell and especially Bill Thailing. My dad would yell at me for "running up the phone bill for those stupid funny books".

Hi Pat! Love your robots. They are all so different and have different "looks". A lot of the repro ones are very cool as well. Hard to tell from the originals. I'm a bit of a purist on them so I gotta stick with the originals myself. A few years back I purged my collection of most of my "spacemen" (human faces). Now they gotta have that "blank stare" to sit on my shelves.

Richard Love your Dell rack. I like how it folds flat. I have one similar that says: "Hey Kids! Comics!" at the top. I use it when I do the flea markets and put cheap comics for kids in it. They love to bend them just like well did. Funny story about your rack. I saw one like yours at a toy show once just as Theo Holstein was buying it. Damn! I bump into him all the time at shows here. He's a character but real cool to talk to. He, like many of us still "loves the stuff". Now don't bite my head off gang, I love everybody!