• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

Glad you enjoy my stuff. Yeah, the Tales of Terror Annual is one of my favorite books. At the time I bought it it was the most I ever paid for a comic. If I told you you would laugh now but at the time it made me a little queezy. The reason I had to have it was because it contains the first issues of Tales from the Crypt, Haunt of Fear, Crypt of Terror and Weird Science #2. (contents vary on these). I got it from Moondog when he first started on eBay. Yeah, it a pretty nice one but like all my books, sometimes I'm happy to have one at all...

Now that's my kind of "junk"! (worship)

What an incredible collection! So many really tough pieces. Thank you so much for sharing it with us.

I really like the wooden Dell comic rack. It is similar to this Dell mapback rack that I acquired at an antique shop about 10 years ago. (But I would MUCH rather have the comic rack!)

bookshelf-4.jpg

Porcupine: Yeah, I've got some rock 'n roll stuff to. Some cool Beatles stuff and Filmore Rock posters. I've got a huge vinyl record collection but not too exciting visually. I like your icon. Are you a Felix the Cat fan? I've got a pretty respectable collection of 1920's-1930's Felix toys. Any interest? Would you rather see one at a time or just a large photo of a bunch of them?

Mutant: VERY cool rack! I would want them both! I've got a bunch of PB's that would look great in your rack. But, I'm with you, the comic one would be my preference. I've got an old 1950's DC table top rack and a neat wall mounted Little Golden Book Rack. I love advertising and store display stuff. If it's comic related even better.

OK gang. This has gotton a lot bigger than I thought it would. I pretty much assumed that this being a comic book board, that is what you guys wanted to see. I am a little surprised at the reaction to the other stuff. As you can see, I love everything. I am pretty focused on the catagories I collect and pretty much only hang on to the vintage stuff.

My question to you boardies is how would you like to see this thread progress? I can't show you everything as I doubt I'd live that long. So, would you like say a few comics, a few pulps, a rack, a few premiums, a few toys ect or feature a larger "category" of stuff at one time? I have limited time to do this. I work full time, have a family, and lots of interests other than collecting. I obviously like spending time running down and finding this stuff. So it doesn't leave me a ton of time for this. I will have to pull stuff out and photo it ect. Looks like I will have to do this mostly on the weekends and post a bunch of stuff at once when I get a bunch of photos. So your patience and opinion will help.

Also a few have said, post everything in this thread. That will work for most of it except the comics maybe. Shouldn't I post Baker books in the Baker thread or precode books in the precode thread ect? Seems like they all belong together. I don't mix them all together in one box. I guess it is the OCD in me being a collector. I like organization. Sounds like maybe you want a thread like Bang Zooms? Now that was the best thread I ever saw on the boards. When he posted All American Comics up to #15 we all held our breath and then that beautiful #16 rolled out. Wow, that was fun! By the way, were is Bang Zoom? I hope he didn't burn out or get pissed off and I don't want to go that way. I'd like to do this slowly in some kind of order. Let me know your thoughts and glad I can make you guys (and gals SHARON!) happy.

Bob

Bob,

I would vote for the posting them all here comics and everything else :) but its your stuff man so post um where ya want :)

Don't worry about rushing the Don Winslow stuff. I think I'm the only one here actively collecting DWOTN stuff anyway :)

Oh and you can check out my journal thread for my Don Winslow premiums and such :)

Edited by Griff

I think the only logical way to approach this is to wake up each morning, take a deep breath, and then post whatever the heck you want to that day.

OK gang. This has gotton a lot bigger than I thought it would. I pretty much assumed that this being a comic book board, that is what you guys wanted to see. I am a little surprised at the reaction to the other stuff. As you can see, I love everything. I am pretty focused on the catagories I collect and pretty much only hang on to the vintage stuff.

My question to you boardies is how would you like to see this thread progress? I can't show you everything as I doubt I'd live that long. So, would you like say a few comics, a few pulps, a rack, a few premiums, a few toys ect or feature a larger "category" of stuff at one time? I have limited time to do this. I work full time, have a family, and lots of interests other than collecting. I obviously like spending time running down and finding this stuff. So it doesn't leave me a ton of time for this. I will have to pull stuff out and photo it ect. Looks like I will have to do this mostly on the weekends and post a bunch of stuff at once when I get a bunch of photos. So your patience and opinion will help.

Also a few have said, post everything in this thread. That will work for most of it except the comics maybe. Shouldn't I post Baker books in the Baker thread or precode books in the precode thread ect? Seems like they all belong together. I don't mix them all together in one box. I guess it is the OCD in me being a collector. I like organization. Sounds like maybe you want a thread like Bang Zooms? Now that was the best thread I ever saw on the boards. When he posted All American Comics up to #15 we all held our breath and then that beautiful #16 rolled out. Wow, that was fun! By the way, were is Bang Zoom? I hope he didn't burn out or get pissed off and I don't want to go that way. I'd like to do this slowly in some kind of order. Let me know your thoughts and glad I can make you guys (and gals SHARON!) happy.

Bob

I agree with all of the above responses to your query, especial Richard's. Of course, I'll be happy with whatever you decide.

Categorizing isn't such a bad thing (threads devoted to a specific area of collecting), because it keeps the interest of fans specializing in those areas focused. You're already established in GA which attracts fans of collectibles over 60 years old, but in most folks minds even that isn't set in concrete, especially when it comes to pulps, paperbacks & digests, premiums, toys, TV & rock memorabilia.

I think the rule of thumb is that if it's old, rare & cool looking, it's of interest. My 2c

BTW, did you say rock memorabilia? :insane:

95c76af4-75cb-4745-85e4-78fa000621ba_zps0bd5a22c.jpg

OK, it's beginning to sound like all here. I love the fact you want me to post whatever I feel like. Takes the pressure off a little. I will try to mix it up and post a little everything each time I do it. A lot of my stuff is in a lot lower grade than you guys so if I don't have to post my vg book next to one of Cat or Richard's 9.8 CGC copies it makes me feel a little better. Unfortunately, unlike most of you guys, I'm a working stiff so I will do it in spurts when I get the time. Maybe the mystery of what will pop up will keep it a little more fun.

A little story about low grade vs high grade. I remember going to Diego one year and finding a book I had wanted for a long time. It was kinda low grade but I was stoked to get it at all. I was showing a dealer the book and gushing over it. A guy walked up and said: "Oh yeah that's a cool book but I have the Mile High copy" Wow, what a "spoon" wilter. I felt like saying something but I just put it away and slinked off. Now, I know you guys are true lovers of this stuff so I won't feel bad putting up anything. The GA crowd is really where it's at. I don't think I've even been over to General since I started this thread. Besides, I'm kind of a little scared of them anyway...

So hang in and I'll try to make this fun.

Bob

Wow Cat nice ax!!! Do you play? I don't think I'd want to play that strat. Kind of like a slabbed book, what good is it??? But it sure looks purty. I have a '63 Gibson SG that my daddy bought me used for my 15th birthday. I once had Pete Townshend sign the pickguard. But it was a player and I eventually wore off most of the signature. I was too stupid to change the pickguard.

I think the only logical way to approach this is to wake up each morning, take a deep breath, and then post whatever the heck you want to that day.

Once a day. once a week, whatever. Just keep this thread going with whatever you want to post. It's what I do.

:)

OK, it's beginning to sound like all here. I love the fact you want me to post whatever I feel like. Takes the pressure off a little. I will try to mix it up and post a little everything each time I do it. A lot of my stuff is in a lot lower grade than you guys so if I don't have to post my vg book next to one of Cat or Richard's 9.8 CGC copies it makes me feel a little better. Unfortunately, unlike most of you guys, I'm a working stiff so I will do it in spurts when I get the time. Maybe the mystery of what will pop up will keep it a little more fun.

A little story about low grade vs high grade. I remember going to Diego one year and finding a book I had wanted for a long time. It was kinda low grade but I was stoked to get it at all. I was showing a dealer the book and gushing over it. A guy walked up and said: "Oh yeah that's a cool book but I have the Mile High copy" Wow, what a "spoon" wilter. I felt like saying something but I just put it away and slinked off. Now, I know you guys are true lovers of this stuff so I won't feel bad putting up anything. The GA crowd is really where it's at. I don't think I've even been over to General since I started this thread. Besides, I'm kind of a little scared of them anyway...

So hang in and I'll try to make this fun.

Bob

GA is a forum within a forum...... it's an entirely different animal that lurks in this neck of the woods. I wouldn't study a lot about the mid grade vs. high grade thing. We all like the nice stuff...... but a collection like what you seem to have..... I've only seen one other in my life, and it's a pale watered down version of what you have. You've been scratching around and digging this stuff up for so long you probably have lost the full sense of how truly special YOUR hoard is. I'm blown away, Robot Man........ we've all seen the high grade books.... your stuff is like opening a door to a treasure trove of marvelous intricacy. :popcorn: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

....some of the posters in CG would like this stuff too...... but that forum is the locker room, while this one is The Art Museum.....

Edited by jimjum12

Felix stuff anyhow you please!Glad you enjoy my moniker....small price to pay for your mega swell stuff and great positive love and passion for all things neat we all love so much!

I'd like to invite you to put a random post in "This Is A Positive Thread To Make Comics General Better" as often as you can,like...Well..all are invited,I guess I'm asking.lol

Everyone everywhere could use a healthy dose of your awesomeness and great fun stuff.

Jimmers